PDA

View Full Version : I’m loving this bike more and more every ride

bowenarrow
12-18-2019, 01:17 AM
Only a few rides in but it is so much fun. My poor road bike is going to get lonely.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191218/3d94fbf0e60f2b57367e8ed21ae7325c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdeth1313
12-18-2019, 04:29 AM
Looks like fun. Watch out on those hunt wheels. Mine were a big disappointment.

How wide are your tires?

tjk23
12-18-2019, 05:28 AM
Looks like fun. Watch out on those hunt wheels. Mine were a big disappointment.

How wide are your tires?

What issue did you have with the wheels?

mdeth1313
12-18-2019, 05:35 AM
What issue did you have with the wheels?

Spoke(s) breaking. Significantly heavier than advertised (and they'll readily admit this if you contact them. Complete PITA for mounting tires and I had to replace their rim tape after it failed. Other than that they're great.

Don't want to derail the thread though - still waiting to hear how wide the tires are.

TomP
12-18-2019, 06:40 AM
Nice looking bike. What brand of fenders are those? I really like how they fit.

Clancy
12-18-2019, 07:14 AM
Spoke(s) breaking. Significantly heavier than advertised (and they'll readily admit this if you contact them. Complete PITA for mounting tires and I had to replace their rim tape after it failed. Other than that they're great.

Don't want to derail the thread though - still waiting to hear how wide the tires are.

Not to derail either but I’ve had the opposite experience with Hunt wheels. Mine were within a few grams of advertised weight and have remained spot-on true after a fair number of punishing rides. Other than a loud freehub which quieted down after I serviced it these wheels have performed flawlessly. Did you reach out to Hunt?

Congrats on the Kona. I believe what it is about these bikes is that it brings out the kid in us, the idea that when we go out it’s going to be on new and unexplored roads. I feel like I’m going on an “adventure” just as I did when I was a kid and jumped on my bike to go exploring. A road bike tends to be the means to an end in and of itself. I ride my road bike to go out and ride, if that makes sense. When I go out on my gravel bike, it’s purpose is to take me somewhere and that somewhere is usually an adventure.

Maybe we should call them Adventure Bikes rather than Gravel Bikes.....

Nah, sounds too contrived. But my gravel bike is most definitely my adventure bike.

Bob Ross
12-18-2019, 08:09 AM
My poor road bike is going to get lonely.

One of the things I love about my gravel bike is that, after spending a lot of time riding it, when I return to one of my road bikes I love them even more.

madsciencenow
12-18-2019, 08:11 AM
A road bike tends to be the means to an end in and of itself. I ride my road bike to go out and ride, if that makes sense. When I go out on my gravel bike, it’s purpose is to take me somewhere and that somewhere is usually an adventure.

I agree with your sentiments about gravel riding being an adventure but having moved around a few times over the past 3-4 years I find that I get the same result from my road bike if I let myself take a new route that I've never driven or ridden before.

bowenarrow
12-18-2019, 04:20 PM

I hope I don’t have any issues, so far they seem pretty great. At the price point they are at, it’s a bit of a gamble I suppose?

Tires are 40 wide.

bowenarrow
12-18-2019, 04:24 PM
Nice looking bike. What brand of fenders are those? I really like how they fit.

SKS Speedrocker Gravel fenders. I really like them a lot too

merlinmurph
12-18-2019, 04:25 PM
Nothing like loving your new bike to get you out riding. Great to hear it.

AngryScientist
12-18-2019, 04:36 PM
looks great.

where are you located? is it warm there?

bowenarrow
12-18-2019, 08:56 PM
looks great.

where are you located? is it warm there?

Washington State. Not particularly warm no. Highs are usually mid 40F this time of year.