PDA

View Full Version : Best brifters for smaller hands?

xnetter
12-17-2019, 02:32 PM
My wife's drop bar bike has always had bar-end shifters but she has been asking to try some brifters. I use the Shimano R7000 units and I feel they might be too large for her hands. Even I slightly dislike their hulking size and the power needed to brake comfortably.

Any thoughts out there on the best brifters for smaller/less powerful hands? I've seen some folks on the interwebs claim that both SRAM and Campy design and shape work better in this regard. I know that most modern designs have reach adjust (including Shimano) but I can't tell how effective this is in making the overall size and shape work for all users.

Thanks,

KJ

weiwentg
12-17-2019, 02:41 PM
Just to add to the discussion, Shimano Ultegra and 105 have smaller versions of their mechanical shift, hydraulic brake levers. The model numbers are ST-R8025 and R7025 (https://www.competitivecyclist.com/shimano-105-st-r7025-sti-shifters-and-disc-brake-caliper-set?skidn=SHI00KR-BK-SET&ti=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6c3QtcjgwMjU6MTo0OnN0LXI4MDI 1). I'm not sure how frequently retailers stock these. It doesn't seem like there are rim brake mechanical versions, or either type of Di2 version.

I've got pretty small hands. With the reach set to minimum, Ultegra levers are fine for me. But I'm not your wife.

Campagnolo 10s were better than Shimano 9s for me. I felt like I had to twist my wrist really far to activate the big lever (i.e. bigger cogs and chainrings). I haven't tried C11, but all those shifter bodies seem bigger than C10, and you couldn't adjust the reach on a number of Campy levers. Potenza's hydraulic levers have adjustable reach, but I think their rim brake ones don't. I think current Chorus and higher levers are adjustable in both rim and hydraulic versions. I forget about the prior generation.

Not tried SRAM yet, so can't compare.

Spaghetti Legs
12-17-2019, 03:14 PM
One of the reasons I switched from Shimano 9 to Campy 10 several years ago is the shifters fit my hand better and felt smaller. I also liked that the brake lever played no part in shifting. Haven’t used any newer Shimano stuff, but C11 feels similar to me than the 10.

Mzilliox
12-17-2019, 03:54 PM
i have all 3 big boys in 11s. campy fits smaller hands the best, then shimano, then sram.

10s campy were a bit smaller than 11, but similar in lever reach.

82Picchio
12-17-2019, 04:27 PM
Etap. All you do is press a button rather than throw a lever to shift, and the brake levers adjust to pretty darn close to the bar. I recommend heartily.

prototoast
12-17-2019, 04:42 PM
If she doesn't ride in the drops, Campy powershift (Potenza/Centaur) is good. Otherwise, I'd recommend Di2/Etap.

ultraman6970
12-17-2019, 04:51 PM
Best one for small hands? Campagnolo 10.

One detail tho... the lower you go into campagnolo the longer the travel in the flipper... I had my kids into veloce then moved to chorus, big difference.

The bike i got for them had shimano 105 11 speed and the problem both got (and they arent tiny either) was that the travel of the lever to even press the brakes was way too long for them, not even talk about trying to shift.

Campagnolo chorus or record 10 is the way to go IMO. Unless there's electronic that uses buttons instead of levers.

kppolich
12-17-2019, 04:54 PM
small hands = electronic for no lever throws for shifting.

EDS
12-17-2019, 05:09 PM
I think all of the current generation groups have reach adjustment features so all should work. I find the throw for Shimano shifters to be the longest, at least for their non-electronic groups. Depending on bar shape, some people with smaller hands don't like the reach to the thumb lever for Campy, but that is not universal.

xnetter
12-17-2019, 05:14 PM
Thx for the replies.

I think in my mind I am anticipating more difficulty with braking rather than shifting. I find with the R7000 levers, my fingers want to reach way down the lever to get good leverage on it for braking - almost like the pivot point is too low. Hoping for something smaller and easier to grip.

Potenza/Centaur 11 is tempting - might give that some thought.

KJ

pdmtong
12-17-2019, 05:22 PM
Electronic and disc are the answer for smaller hands.

Electronic and disc are the answer for weaker hands.

I get you probably weren't thinking that level of investment, but look at Ultegra di2 or eTAP. Happy wife = happy life.

Plus, she can do everything from the hoods without taking her hands off the bar. That's another positive change for her

FlashUNC
12-17-2019, 05:32 PM
SRAM, adjustable reach on all their levers.

buddybikes
12-17-2019, 07:32 PM
Another option (which my touring bike happen to come with) if you don't want to change out levers

https://www.paulcomp.com/shop/components/brake-levers/inline/cross-lever/

Dave
12-17-2019, 08:52 PM
Only 12 speed Campy levers have the small hands feature to bring the brake lever in closer to the bars. The same thing can be accomplished with a little epoxy putty on the shift lever body, where the brake lever release pin rests. I've modified campy levers like this for many years.

Campy brake hood reach is the shortest too. Powershift levers have no advantage over ultrashift.

oldpotatoe
12-18-2019, 06:11 AM
Only 12 speed Campy levers have the small hands feature to bring the brake lever in closer to the bars. The same thing can be accomplished with a little epoxy putty on the shift lever body, where the brake lever release pin rests. I've modified campy levers like this for many years.

Campy brake hood reach is the shortest too. Powershift levers have no advantage over ultrashift.

What he said..:)
Etap. All you do is press a button rather than throw a lever to shift

'Button'? And the "both 'levers'" to get to chainrings 'might' not be best for small hands..
The closest things to 'buttons' is on Di2 tho..altho they are 'levers' also.

primov8
12-18-2019, 10:25 AM
xnetter, have you tried adjusting the levers closer to the bars? On my 11yr old daughter’s Scott Speedster 24, the first thing I did was remove the original 8spd Sora shifters and installed Claris R2K shifters. Not only for aesthetics but the adjustable levers was a huge plus for my daughter. It made it so much easier to brake, shift and much more comfortable when riding on the hoods.

pdmtong
12-18-2019, 11:34 AM
xnetter, have you tried adjusting the levers closer to the bars? On my 11yr old daughter’s Scott Speedster 24, the first thing I did was remove the original 8spd Sora shifters and installed Claris R2K shifters. Not only for aesthetics but the adjustable levers was a huge plus for my daughter. It made it so much easier to brake, shift and much more comfortable when riding on the hoods.

8sp sora is the worst for this issue. My daughter had the same issue with that group on her trek kdr1000. 9sp tiagra was better. Current 10s 105 no issue