PDA

View Full Version : semi ot: Other shipping aggregators besides bike flights?

echelon_john
12-16-2019, 01:46 PM
Anyone aware of other shipping aggregators for FedEx? Doesn't need to be bicycle related.

Thanks!
JC

Clean39T
12-16-2019, 01:47 PM
ShipBikes.com

My only gripe with them is the insurance goes to $1000 jumps above $1k value.... otherwise great service.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

zmudshark
12-16-2019, 02:05 PM
shipsticks.com does golf related and luggage via FDX. Another one is lugless.com.

Look up golf/luggage shipping. There are a lot out there, probably for ski stuff, too.

htwoopup
12-16-2019, 03:06 PM
Having fedex ground just mess up my custom Parlee in a custom aluminum shipping box ruining both and seeing Shipbikes being absolutely unhelpful in dealing with Fedex and watching my wife see a failure rate of over 20% on her packages shipped fedex ground in the NYC area I have to question why you would use them. My bike situation only got fixed after two months and going to the extreme of lawyering up to get them to pay up (I had paid a crazy amount for the insurance through fedex). I am going back to bikeflights and ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zmudshark
12-16-2019, 03:08 PM
Having fedex ground just mess up my custom Parlee in a custom aluminum shipping box ruining both and seeing Shipbikes being absolutely unhelpful in dealing with Fedex and watching my wife see a failure rate of over 20% on her packages shipped fedex ground in the NYC area I have to question why you would use them. My bike situation only got fixed after two months and going to the extreme of lawyering up to get them to pay up (I had paid a crazy amount for the insurance through fedex). I am going back to bikeflights and ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bikeflights is currently much less expensive than shipbikes. I would prefer my stuff going by UPS as opposed to just about any other carrier. Bikeflights makes it affordable.

sokyroadie
12-16-2019, 03:50 PM
I would prefer my stuff going by UPS as opposed to just about any other carrier.

Suck Ass :)

Don't retirees get discounted shipping?

Clean39T
12-16-2019, 03:55 PM

Sorry, but unless you have a counterfactual with UPS (got damaged and the insurance process was easy), your experience with FedEx just is what it is...an unfortunate PITA, but still an N=1 experience that tells me nothing about what my N=1 experience would be with either UPS or FedEx. Even if you had that perfect counterfactual, we would still need orders of magnitude more data to even approach something instructive.

Bikeflights is currently much less expensive than shipbikes. I would prefer my stuff going by UPS as opposed to just about any other carrier. Bikeflights makes it affordable.

There's already a thread on this. It varies. My last bike I shipped was $20 more to send via UPS (Portland to Georgia). I asked the seller for their preference, and they chose UPS because they worked for them - and paid me the difference since I had said in my listing that it was "free shipping via insured FedEx".

htwoopup
12-16-2019, 04:01 PM
Sorry, but unless you have a counterfactual with UPS (got damaged and the insurance process was easy), your experience with FedEx just is what it is...an unfortunate PITA, but still an N=1 experience that tells me nothing about what my N=1 experience would be with either UPS or FedEx. We would need orders of magnitude more data to even approach something instructive.

There's already a thread on this. It varies. My last bike I shipped was $20 more to send via UPS (Portland to Georgia). I asked the seller for their preference, and they chose UPS because they worked for them - and paid me the difference since I had said in my listing that it was "free shipping via insured FedEx".

Actually I do. I had damage (minor) on a shipment with Bikeflights which even though it may have been a problem due to my packing (it wasn’t with any of the custom made shipping boxes I have for the various bikes) they backed up, were on it and I got covered immediately. As opposed to ShipBikes which claimed they didn’t even know who their rep at FedEx was. And in dealing with FedEx, they were unbelievably sloppy and unresponsive. Especially when I was nice. When I turned nasty they all of a sudden could find out things that they couldn’t when I was nice. Found that the fork lift did go through the box which they were picking up after it fell off a conveyor (a forklift on a packed 46 pound box total). That said, I have never had a problem with FedEx Express. But their Ground service is horrendous.

We are shipping around bikes worth 5 figures. I am not going to choose a carrier based on saving small change.

And, even more than that, I am shipping my bikes because I want to use them wherever it is that I am shipping them. It truly sucks when you get across the country and find you need to rent a bike when you weren’t planning to.

First world problem I know. But it would be nice if FedEx Ground and their aggregator would give a hoot about doing things right instead of trying to point fingers at people that I, as a consumer, think are their people. And they should take some responsibility.

I know this is not what the OP was asking. He was asking about FedEx agregators.

I am only saying that given my experience I would look for aggregators for UPS, XPO, DHL or ANYBODY except FedEx.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jmoore
12-16-2019, 04:14 PM
Another vote for ShipBikes.com

They were super helpful when my bike got damaged by FedEx. My claim was initially denied. I called them and they took it from there. 2 days later, my claim was 100% approved.

Spaghetti Legs
12-16-2019, 04:19 PM
I have found that since Bikeflights went to UPS, that Shipbikes has been dramatically less expensive. Last quote I checked for a frame cross country $75 vs $44. I have recently on a regular basis run into “shipment exception, bar code unreadable, label replaced” problems with Fedex but other than that, no problems. First time I ran into that problem, I called Shipbikes and got a real person to talk to who got me the new tracking number.

I don’t own any five figure bikes and ship pretty regularly so I like to save as much as I can when I ship.

Clean39T
12-16-2019, 04:22 PM
Actually I do. I had damage (minor) on a shipment with Bikeflights which even though it may have been a problem due to my packing (it wasn’t with any of the custom made shipping boxes I have for the various bikes) they backed up, were on it and I got covered immediately. As opposed to ShipBikes which claimed they didn’t even know who their rep at FedEx was. And in dealing with FedEx, they were unbelievably sloppy and unresponsive. Especially when I was nice. When I turned nasty they all of a sudden could find out things that they couldn’t when I was nice. Found that the fork lift did go through the box which they were picking up after it fell off a conveyor (a forklift on a packed 46 pound box total). That said, I have never had a problem with FedEx Express. But their Ground service is horrendous.

We are shipping around bikes worth 5 figures. I am not going to choose a carrier based on saving small change.

And, even more than that, I am shipping my bikes because I want to use them wherever it is that I am shipping them. It truly sucks when you get across the country and find you need to rent a bike when you weren’t planning to.

First world problem I know. But it would be nice if FedEx Ground and their aggregator would give a hoot about doing things right instead of trying to point fingers at people that I, as a consumer, think are their people. And they should take some responsibility.

I know this is not what the OP was asking. He was asking about FedEx agregators.

I am only saying that given my experience I would look for aggregators for UPS, XPO, DHL or ANYBODY except FedEx.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I get it, and you're free to choose the option you want to......but it is still one experience among thousands.... That's all I'm saying.

As I said in the other thread, I've been choosing FedEx because UPS in my area is horribly inconvenient and annoying - location of stores, hours, experience with drivers, etc.

If receiving/shipping UPS was as easy as FedEx, and it was just about a 10% price difference, I'd choose BikeFlights every time.

mhespenheide
12-16-2019, 04:41 PM
More anecdata:

In our relatively rural area, we have a dedicated UPS driver who's a longtime employee. He knows us, we know him, and he goes out of his way to deliver good customer service. On the other hand, we see a constant stream of different FedEx drivers who aren't nearly as careful with packages.

As always, YMMV.

zmudshark
12-16-2019, 04:47 PM
Suck Ass :)

Don't retirees get discounted shipping?Nope, no discount at all. FDX retirees do, though. I'm in Central States, so my pension is at risk, too.

UPS just knows how to handle boxes and most of the employees are actually pretty dedicated, or at least they used to be ;)

cash05458
12-16-2019, 05:30 PM
I can tell you most usps delivery folks are great as well and the system is good and take it very seriously...do it how you want...but if I am just speaking from a career of dealing with this stuff and packages...ups is great as well...ups do a great job...their guys are paid well and they care about the job they do... but in all honesty, dont go near fed ex...but hey....it's your stuff...

pbarry
12-16-2019, 07:53 PM
1/2 the cost of bike flights to ship a 15” wide frame box to NC from CO, priced out over the weekend.

zmudshark
12-16-2019, 08:09 PM
I can tell you most usps delivery folks are great as well and the system is good and take it very seriously...do it how you want...but if I am just speaking from a career of dealing with this stuff and packages...ups is great as well...ups do a great job...their guys are paid well and they care about the job they do... but in all honesty, dont go near fed ex...but hey....it's your stuff...Yep, career people at any of the companies are usually very good. I tip my mail carrier because they come every day, and are under appreciated.

oldpotatoe
12-17-2019, 06:26 AM
Anyone aware of other shipping aggregators for FedEx? Doesn't need to be bicycle related.

Thanks!
JC

You can set u an account with FedEx and do the pack, get label..and then either take to FedEx place or have them pick it up..(?)..