PDA

View Full Version : OT: SVT Drugs, Toprol? Anyone been on it?

quattro
12-16-2019, 12:56 PM
Recently diagnosed with SVT and my cardiologist wants me to try a low dose of Toprol over the next four weeks. Wondering if anyone has tried this drug and what your experience has been, side effects, are you able to ride or do other exercise while on it, did it keep your SVT episodes in check, did it stop your SVT episodes, how long were you on it.

I greatly appreciate any feedback on your use of this drug and your SVT diagnosis and how you have been dealing with it.
quattro

crankles
12-16-2019, 03:43 PM
tl;dr In short. I race on it with no noticeable side effects.

I started using metoprolol recently when racing. 12.5mg the morning of the race. 1st two races it prevented SVT. I lack some punch and ave HR during the race is 5-10 beats lower...which may explain some slight cramping towards the end of the race...but no SVT. I noticed no other side effects. Yesterday though, I experienced an SVT early in the race even on the beta...thinking an ablation might be in my future.

I started experiencing SVTs a few years ago, but only when racing CX and even then only during an occasional race. Got ECGs, stress tests, Holter...etc but they couldn't find any problems. This year it was happening every race, sometimes near the beginning, other times, mid way through. Sometimes I could force a re-sync via a valsalva maneuver, other times not. Went back to my cardiologist and did a stress test yet again, but we couldn't induce. This time I however, I was able to catch an episode while racing with a zio patch to confirm. Cadiologist suggested the beta as a first approach. If that was not successful, consider an ablation if I wanted to keep racing.

try it.

Recently diagnosed with SVT and my cardiologist wants me to try a low dose of Toprol over the next four weeks. Wondering if anyone has tried this drug and what your experience has been, side effects, are you able to ride or do other exercise while on it, did it keep your SVT episodes in check, did it stop your SVT episodes, how long were you on it.

I greatly appreciate any feedback on your use of this drug and your SVT diagnosis and how you have been dealing with it.
quattro

quattro
12-16-2019, 08:16 PM
crankles, your history sounds very much like mine although I'm only aware of my SVT's back to 4/2018 as thats as far backs my Garmin records show.
I did a cycling stress test, could not go into SVT, wore the Zico patch for three weeks an my cardiologist obtained enough information to diagnose. I seem to also be having more frequent episodes and my HR goes into the 160's much faster even when not working very hard. Today Cardiologist suggested I try Toprol for a four week trial to see how I do, I'll start on Wednesday, haven't picked up the prescription yet so not sure of the dose, he did say a low dose, so I'm thinking 12.5mg - 25mg, we'll see. Are you considering ablation, or staying on the meds? Best of luck!

tl;dr In short. I race on it with no noticeable side effects.

I started using metoprolol recently when racing. 12.5mg the morning of the race. 1st two races it prevented SVT. I lack some punch and ave HR during the race is 5-10 beats lower...which may explain some slight cramping towards the end of the race...but no SVT. I noticed no other side effects. Yesterday though, I experienced an SVT early in the race even on the beta...thinking an ablation might be in my future.

I started experiencing SVTs a few years ago, but only when racing CX and even then only during an occasional race. Got ECGs, stress tests, Holter...etc but they couldn't find any problems. This year it was happening every race, sometimes near the beginning, other times, mid way through. Sometimes I could force a re-sync via a valsalva maneuver, other times not. Went back to my cardiologist and did a stress test yet again, but we couldn't induce. This time I however, I was able to catch an episode while racing with a zio patch to confirm. Cadiologist suggested the beta as a first approach. If that was not successful, consider an ablation if I wanted to keep racing.

try it.

NeauDL
12-17-2019, 04:41 AM
Toprol has no long term side effects. If you don't tolerate it, don't take it long term. You have nothing to fear from trying it.

palincss
12-17-2019, 08:59 AM
Beta blockers slow your heart rate, which can prevent the increase in heart rate that typically occurs with exercise. This means that it might not be possible for you to reach your target heart rate — the number of heartbeats per minute you aim for to ensure you're exercising hard enough.

No matter how hard you exercise when taking a beta blocker, you may never reach your target heart rate. Keep in mind that being unable to reach your previous target heart rate doesn't mean you're not getting cardiovascular benefits from exercise.
- https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/expert-answers/beta-blockers/faq-20058369

How any given drug makes you feel can vary greatly from one person to the next. They put me on a low dose of Metropolol this year. I really didn't notice it at all.

I talked to a fellow cyclist at the start of a ride about then and he said he was on the same dose, and he said starting up was a real struggle, it took him five miles before he even started to warm up, and he could hardly get going at all until then.

Earlier in the year they had me try a blood pressure drug that hit me so hard I could hardly get up from a chair. I looked it up on Google and found that of 12 serious adverse effects listed, I had 10 of them. The doctor said it wasn't exactly an allergy, just that I was very sensitive to it and shouldn't take it.

So you really won't know until you try.

quattro
12-18-2019, 06:31 AM
Toprol has no long term side effects. If you don't tolerate it, don't take it long term. You have nothing to fear from trying it.

Thanks, good to know. Starting to take Toprol today, 25mg per day, wish me luck!

buddybikes
12-18-2019, 08:18 AM
Good luck.
My wife is on the lowest dose of metoprolol er, and it dropped her pvc's from 11% of all beats to only 65 total found during 24 hr holter.

She works out kick boxing and similar 2x week plus bike/hike

quattro
12-19-2019, 06:39 AM
Good luck.
My wife is on the lowest dose of metoprolol er, and it dropped her pvc's from 11% of all beats to only 65 total found during 24 hr holter.

She works out kick boxing and similar 2x week plus bike/hike

Glad to hear metoprolol is working for your wife! One day for me, no issues so far. On to day two, haven't done a strenuous workout yet, hopefully tomorrow I'll test my heart out.