PDA

View Full Version : Differences between a cross vs. gravel bike.

grateful
12-15-2019, 12:45 PM
Watching the Cross Nationals (Shout Out to Jim Brown, Hold Fast my friend) an noticed the substantial amount of pavement in the course. That leads me to my question. Other than marketing, why two separate genres?

Spdntrxi
12-15-2019, 01:01 PM
most cross bikes (real race cross bikes).. lack a lot of things that "gravel bike" have... it's not just geo which cross bike will be quick handling like road race bikes.

water bottle bosses
fender mounts
cross is tire size limited by rules... so less clearance then most gravel
etcetc

ltwtsculler91
12-15-2019, 01:02 PM
Some geo differences, think road race vs endurance bikes, and Gravel bikes keep getting built around larger and larger tires to the point now where 40mm is almost the "standard" and 650b is something many ask for. A cross bike is always built to perform with 33mm tires on a cross course and tend to handle a bit quicker

grateful
12-15-2019, 01:39 PM
Wow, it sounds like a cross bike is the do it all bike for me. Thankfully they are cheap enough to try.

jtbadge
12-15-2019, 01:40 PM
most cross bikes (real race cross bikes).. lack a lot of things that "gravel bike" have... it's not just geo which cross bike will be quick handling like road race bikes.

water bottle bosses
fender mounts
cross is tire size limited by rules... so less clearance then most gravel
etcetc

This may have been true a few years ago, but no one is selling a cross bike without water bottle mounts and less than 38-40c tire clearance anymore.

Most have adopted road bottom bracket drop rather than the 60-65mm euro range from the 90s-2000s.

There's really that much of a difference these days.

grateful
12-15-2019, 01:58 PM
Briefly looking through various classified sites I can pick up a Ti frame set for a song as long as it takes cantilevers. I assume my spare road group would work?

I moved to Hill Country, TX. We have a lot of short, steep hills. I like to go fast with me being the only limiting factor. Rides are generally in the hour range. 32’s would be fine.

I also live close to a state park I have yet to see (Pace Bend Park) if anyone has been there. There are miles of trails, not sure how technical.

Any thoughts on sizing compared with road race geometry?

buddybikes
12-15-2019, 02:09 PM
Short answer...yes.

charliedid
12-15-2019, 02:21 PM
Watching the Cross Nationals (Shout Out to Jim Brown, Hold Fast my friend) an noticed the substantial amount of pavement in the course. That leads me to my question. Other than marketing, why two separate genres?

Why not just ask Jim?

Hilltopperny
12-15-2019, 02:26 PM
Any thoughts on sizing compared with road race geometry?[/QUOTE]

I stuck with basically the same sizing as my road bikes on both cx and gravel bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frankwurst
12-15-2019, 02:39 PM
I have 4 bikes I ride on a regular basis. One is a road bike. One is a gravel bike. One is a dual purpose bike.One is a let's just go for a cruise bike. I don't know which one is which when get on it. :beer:

rwsaunders
12-15-2019, 02:45 PM
Find a Poprad in your size.

grateful
12-15-2019, 03:28 PM
Wonderful idea, I haven’t spoken to him since we were roommates in college. Time to reach out.

Why not just ask Jim?

megapope
12-15-2019, 05:07 PM
In my experience cross bikes ride a lot stiffer and tend towards being sharper-angled for durability and raciness' sake respectively. I'd rather spend all day on a gravel bike, personally.

And, unlike many gravel bikes, they will generally have room for portage. So weird to see Canyon's Inflite, all the modern carbon road bike design cues but no sloped top tube.

grateful
12-15-2019, 05:37 PM
The propad looks nice, can you explain why you recommended it?Find a Poprad in your size.

avalonracing
12-15-2019, 05:49 PM
On a crossbike I have, ridden gravel roads, done paved centuries, taken twisty downhills at over 50mph, ridden single-track. Basically everything except raced cross. My point is a cross bike is the most versatile bike you can get.

rwsaunders
12-15-2019, 06:06 PM
The propad looks nice, can you explain why you recommended it?

It’s a pretty versatile frame that came with cantis or discs...geometry is pretty relaxed and some versions had fenders mounts. All versions easily fit 35mm tires too. I’ve had mine for quite some time and it’s been my foul weather bike, with fenders.

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/road-bikes/lemond-poprad-disc-review/

http://bostonbybike.blogspot.com/2012/01/2008-lemond-poprad-review.html

efixler
12-15-2019, 06:12 PM
Cross frames will typically have a higher bb than road or gravel bikes. Newer CX bikes are typically lower than old ones, but still a bit higher, and you do feel a little high on the bike (pun intended)

All that said, I’m loving using a cx bike as my winter/gravel ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jtakeda
12-15-2019, 06:14 PM
It’s a pretty versatile frame that came with cantis or discs...geometry is pretty relaxed and some versions had fenders mounts. All versions easily fit 35mm tires too. I’ve had mine for quite some time and it’s been my foul weather bike, with fenders.

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/road-bikes/lemond-poprad-disc-review/

http://bostonbybike.blogspot.com/2012/01/2008-lemond-poprad-review.html

+1

Check out mine. It’s been modified to fit 42s and has discs. Great bike and I’ve actually turned it into a townie at this point.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=160635

DeBike
12-15-2019, 06:34 PM
I bought a used Poprad about 4 months ago. It is one of the best all around riding bikes I have ever had the pleasure to ride.

charliedid
12-15-2019, 07:12 PM
Wonderful idea, I haven’t spoken to him since we were roommates in college. Time to reach out.

Sounds like a plan!

BobC
12-15-2019, 07:44 PM
GCN does a nice (and humorous) comparision of gravel vs cross.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRe3rMyw5F8&feature=emb_title

rain dogs
12-16-2019, 09:57 AM
If you measure the differences between a true cross bike and a gravel bike only in mm of clearance... then you're likely going to end up disappointed in the bike you get. Unless you're racing cyclocross. By that standard there ain't much difference between cross and road either!

The thing is, depending on pricepoint/brand/builder you're going to get all sorts of middle-ground variations.

But the ride and features of a true cross bike will be vastly different than a gravel bike.

Nobody* is designing an actual cyclocross bicycle for framebags and 8hours in the saddle.

bigbill
12-16-2019, 10:23 AM
Briefly looking through various classified sites I can pick up a Ti frame set for a song as long as it takes cantilevers. I assume my spare road group would work?

I moved to Hill Country, TX. We have a lot of short, steep hills. I like to go fast with me being the only limiting factor. Rides are generally in the hour range. 32’s would be fine.

I also live close to a state park I have yet to see (Pace Bend Park) if anyone has been there. There are miles of trails, not sure how technical.

Any thoughts on sizing compared with road race geometry?

Somewhat unique to your area, but maybe not that unique, but there's a group in Texas call The Spinistry that promotes gravel rides/races. They also share routes and places to ride the back roads which much of the time are unpaved. I did well with a steel Dirt Road Racer with 38mm Gravel Kings set up tubeless. I also have a set of wheels with 32 slicks for road riding. I did gravel races for a year on my Gunnar Crosshairs and did fine, but I'm way less beat up at the end on my gravel bike.