PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever seen a waroed SRAM 10-42 cassette?

EB
12-14-2019, 07:56 PM
Hi all,

My commuter went into the shop with a variety of problems, including lots of shift hesitation, and after the tune-up is in much better shape, but one issue remains that concerned both myself and the mechanic.

Groupset is SRAM force 1x, cassette is a XG-1175 10-42 on a white industries CLD hub with an XD driver. After adjusting the derailleur and replacing the cable, the shifting is much improved, but rapidly spinning the cassette on the hub reveals a very slight "wobble" in some of the cogs. The hub seems to be perfectly straight and the cassette is only 2 months old. It wasn't something they had seen before and the mechanic is sending video to both White and SRAM to see if they know what's going on or what might have caused this.

Anyone seen this before and know what's going on? I've never had an issue like this, but the prior cassette was one of the lighter X-Dome jobs, not the full pin cassette. I'm wondering if this will end up being a warranty issue.

NoMoreParagon
12-14-2019, 08:06 PM
Hate to bring the bad news but most likely cross threading due to poor installation.
The Sram XD cassette installation can be so fickle. It happened to me after a v poor installation from a bike shop.
It will shift and work ok. The wobble won’t affect shifting much at all.
Sram is a hit or miss when it comes to cassettes warranty. They know this happens. Will ultimately depend on their trust and relationship with the lbs starting the warranty claim.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EB
12-14-2019, 09:00 PM
Could be, though I would guess the wobbling would be much worse with cross threading - this is extremely subtle, less than a half mm of movement.

JWB475
12-15-2019, 11:11 AM
I have an XD cassette that became bent and has a slight wobble to it. In my case it was the XG1150 Full Pin version of the cassette. I was using an old cassette on a new bike build and was struggling to get my derailleur shifting dialed in when I finally noticed it.

I have 4 bikes and they all use XD cassettes so I had a spare. Swapped another cassette on and it was fine.

I am not sure if the cassette became bent/warped as a result of use. In my case the cassette was sitting in a drawer with a bunch of other stuff and could have gotten bent in storage...