PDA

View Full Version : Chainring bolts?

Xyzzy
01-01-2007, 10:43 PM
Are chainring bolts universal?

I currently have weird ones that actually thread into the small ring. There is no nut on the back. I just ordered new Hegoa rings and wondered what bolts I need to get. I'd like to get the matching TA bolts but I can't find them for sale anywhere. My backup plan is to get Record bolts but looking at all the Campy PDFs it looks like there are many different kinds.

I just want shiny bolts that last forever.

Too Tall
01-02-2007, 08:13 AM
Look for old school campy, sugino or shimano for double ring setup. You can get them many places. Avoid like the plague any of the light alum jobs they snap like a fresh bean!

saab2000
01-02-2007, 08:22 AM
Avoid like the plague any of the light alum jobs they snap like a fresh bean!

Not if you have the built-in torque wrench in your finger tips!! :D

Still, it is wise advice to avoid aluminum bolts if you are not a fanatic. They can indeed be tricky. If you ignore the sage advice of Mr. Tall, you must liberally oil all surfaces when installing them and then be even more careful about overtightening them since they will turn very easily.

terrytnt
01-02-2007, 09:24 AM
Who knows the proper torque with these puppies... aluminum/ steel?

terrytnt
01-02-2007, 09:27 AM
By the way Mike, the TT is incredible... smooth, relatively quick and a terrific workout. Haven't stood or rode without hands yet, trying to get miles on so I'm confident.

Curious, how much do you ride at a time? And how do you figure wattage?

Thanks once again for your testamony and great advice!

Xyzzy
01-02-2007, 10:14 AM
Who knows the proper torque with these puppies... aluminum/ steel?I've been using 75inlb on mine. They are aluminum and thread into an aluminum ring. Very scary stuff. I use anti-sieze compound on the threads.

Now I have to figure out an inexpensive place for old-style Campy nuts. It may be cheaper to buy an 06 aluminum Record crank, just for the damn bolts.

;)

Xyzzy
01-02-2007, 10:21 AM
Curious, how much do you ride at a time? And how do you figure wattage?Right now just 30 minutes at a time. I'm ramping up very slowly because of an injury last year. For some odd reason stuff doesn't heal as fast as it used to. Maybe I'm getting old?

I figure wattage by calculating my gear inches, and then I ride at a certain cadence. I don't use a computer or a cadence counter. I use a metronome designed for drummers. Once you know your cadence and gear inches you can calculate your speed, and from that you can calculate the watts.

http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=MM-1&category_id=5

I doubt the watt numbers are real accurate, but I bet they are good enough to get a general idea. Like you won't be able to get instantaneous power numbers, but if I can do a 10 mile time trial in 20 minutes (I can't) that is 30mph and I can get an overall wattage for that effort (347 watts).

Too Tall
01-02-2007, 02:26 PM
XYZZY - of for cryin' out loud...double ring bolts are easy to get and not expensive...don't make me GOGGLE!!!! Call someplace like Harris or P.White.

OMG you actually use a torque wrench on chainring bolts????? May I call you master?

Xyzzy
01-02-2007, 03:03 PM
XYZZY - of for cryin' out loud...double ring bolts are easy to get and not expensive...don't make me GOGGLE!!!! Call someplace like Harris or P.White.

OMG you actually use a torque wrench on chainring bolts????? May I call you master?
Hehe, I really didn't know anything about chainring bolts, honest! And looking at all the options at Branford made my head hurt.

I ended up ordering some FSA ones, because they are cheap. I'll troll eBay for a nice set of Campy ones. I'm sure I'll eventually find a nice set.

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx?layout=product&taxid=25&pid=70

I've only been riding and wrenching since late 04 so I have a lot to learn. Fortunately, I love learning.

I use a torque wrench for almost everything. Not always because I need a specific value, but just to be consistent. It only takes an extra few seconds and then I can eliminate that variable from the overall equation.

I'd make a lousy shop mechanic, because I'm too slow, but I like to think I do a decent job otherwise. All my cycling pals sure love the free work that I do. (Maybe because it is free?)

There's nothing more relaxing to me than working on neato stuff.

saab2000
01-02-2007, 03:04 PM
What is that avatar anyway?