PDA

View Full Version : Tips for cleaing salt (human) off bars, shifters

Keith A
12-14-2019, 01:02 PM
On my ride today, I got caught in the rain and so I was cleaning my bike after I got home. The bar tape was getting worn, and figured it was a good time to replace it. When I took it off, I was surprised at how much salt was under the tape, and on the bars and shift levers.

I wanted to see if anyone has some tips on how to clean this up.

Thanks in advance.

zzy
12-14-2019, 01:10 PM
Diluted vinegar in a spray bottle. Also great for road salt on your boots.

Keith A
12-14-2019, 02:02 PM
Diluted vinegar in a spray bottle. Also great for road salt on your boots.Thanks for the info. How much do you dilute this?

AngryScientist
12-14-2019, 04:30 PM
keith, do make sure to inspect those bars carefully once you get them cleaned.

the pictures and stories of broken alloy bars that float around the internet almost all show heavy salt corrosion in the area of the break, often at the shift lever clamp area. modern alloy bars are pretty thin, so there isnt much room for "corrosion allowance".

if they are pretty bad, i would advise to definitely loosen the shifters and look under the clamps to see how it looks.

be careful!

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/attachments/components-wrenching/300573d1411589301-so-i-corroded-my-2nd-handlebar-img_4881_zps77cc0607.jpg

kiwisimon
12-14-2019, 05:59 PM
I tablespoon of vinegar in a cup of water. Works on leather and even for urine stains on granddads shoes. Spray on, leave it to soak a few minutes and wash off like you normally wash your bike.

fignon's barber
12-15-2019, 06:37 AM
Definitely have to be vigilant in Florida. As Angry said, corrosion is dangerous. I just replaced bar a couple days ago. When I peeled back the tape, the salt was a bit lumpy and had begun to wear away the black finish. Down here, I think if you get 2 years out of an alloy bar, you're lucky. Carbon bars don't fair much better. Surprised nobody has introduced a coated handlebar, or even titanium.

Black Dog
12-15-2019, 07:23 AM
For areas where this is an issue, why not wrap the bars completely with electrical tape before bar tape to act as a sweat proof barrier?

Keith A
12-15-2019, 08:20 PM
keith, do make sure to inspect those bars carefully once you get them cleaned.

the pictures and stories of broken alloy bars that float around the internet almost all show heavy salt corrosion in the area of the break, often at the shift lever clamp area. modern alloy bars are pretty thin, so there isnt much room for "corrosion allowance".

if they are pretty bad, i would advise to definitely loosen the shifters and look under the clamps to see how it looks.

be careful!

Nick -- Thanks for the reminder. I'm keenly aware of this issue and have seen aluminum bars snap on two occasions while being ridden. Even though there's plenty of sweat and salt there, it appears that mine isn't very corrosive and there's no damage to the bars themselves.

Keith A
12-15-2019, 08:21 PM
I tablespoon of vinegar in a cup of water. Works on leather and even for urine stains on granddads shoes. Spray on, leave it to soak a few minutes and wash off like you normally wash your bike.Thanks for the details.

parris
12-15-2019, 09:24 PM
Blackdog I dont know if the tape would seal well enough and then give a false sense of security. I also think about the levers and how they could damage the tape ehwn tightened or during the install digging into tape on the bends. Just a few thoughts on it.

steelbikerider
12-15-2019, 09:53 PM
Replace the bar tape every 2-3 months and corrosion is not as much of a problem but most bars still get replaced every 3-4 years. Mine starts to smell after 4-6 weeks to remind me it's time. I live in humid SE Texas.

Keith A
12-16-2019, 09:42 PM
Well it looks like these bars are worse than I initially thought. What I thought was salt buildup was actually corrosion on the bars. I'm not going to risk using these anymore.

steelbikerider -- no lack of humidity here on the East Coast of FL.

simonov
12-17-2019, 03:55 AM
Well it looks like these bars are worse than I initially thought. What I thought was salt buildup was actually corrosion on the bars. I'm not going to risk using these anymore.

steelbikerider -- no lack of humidity here on the East Coast of FL.

I think the best approach for people living in Florida is to ride aluminum bars, buy them in bulk and treat them as consumables. There's just no way around the corrosion if you live remotely close to the ocean/gulf in a high humidity area.

fignon's barber
12-17-2019, 06:19 AM
I think the best approach for people living in Florida is to ride aluminum bars, buy them in bulk and treat them as consumables. There's just no way around the corrosion if you live remotely close to the ocean/gulf in a high humidity area.

Absolutely. I keep one Deda Zero 100 bar on the shelf at all times.

AngryScientist
12-17-2019, 06:22 AM
i wonder if some type of good high quality clearcoat enamel or something would help with this? some barrier against the moisture migrating to the metal itself.

Keith A
12-17-2019, 07:30 AM
i wonder if some type of good high quality clearcoat enamel or something would help with this? some barrier against the moisture migrating to the metal itself.That seems like a reasonable solution. You wouldn't need to coat the center section, just where your hands would go.