PDA

View Full Version : Pedal life...

Tickdoc
12-14-2019, 11:08 AM
Pedal life expectancy, rather. I’ve been a pretty exclusive shimano pedal guy since 2006, except for a brief look keo turn.

I’ve noticed that my left foot wears on the pedal more than the right. Or the left pedal gets loosey goosey after many miles before the right. My knee surgery was left not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.

My questions are: How many miles can you expect to get out of a set? Bearings still seem fine, but the footplate wears out it seems. New cleats help but only up to a point. I’ve got four bikes with this model of ultegra and is the footplate replaceable? Does that help any? Or is it just pony up and retire those pedals?

Here’s a pic of my highest mileage loosest current set:
https://i.imgur.com/dS718ODl.jpg

ultraman6970
12-14-2019, 11:22 AM
The only pedal i know that is pretty much imperturbable by time is Keywin.

In time or other brands if bearings go bad you can change them but when the body goes bad pretty much is game over

But with keywin is different because the cleats work in another way, you can swap the bearings and the body and cleats can be all busted but those suckers continue working as day 1.

AngryScientist
12-14-2019, 11:24 AM
those pedals look brand new to me!

it's probably the cleat that's worn, not the pedal.

Tickdoc
12-14-2019, 11:26 AM

Nah bc I changed the cleats not long ago and no play on the other three. I don’t know why buy having multiple pedals is my least favorite part of having multiple bikes.

BdaGhisallo
12-14-2019, 12:18 PM
Pedal life expectancy, rather. I’ve been a pretty exclusive shimano pedal guy since 2006, except for a brief look keo turn.

I’ve noticed that my left foot wears on the pedal more than the right. Or the left pedal gets loosey goosey after many miles before the right. My knee surgery was left not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.

My questions are: How many miles can you expect to get out of a set? Bearings still seem fine, but the footplate wears out it seems. New cleats help but only up to a point. I’ve got four bikes with this model of ultegra and is the footplate replaceable? Does that help any? Or is it just pony up and retire those pedals?

Here’s a pic of my highest mileage loosest current set:
https://i.imgur.com/dS718ODl.jpg

In theory the foot/wear plate is replaceable - you can see that removing the little phillips headed screws will allow it to pop off - but Shimano haven't sold those wear plates since the 7900 generation of pedals were being sold. They abandoned the idea so much that the latest generation, the 9100 and 8000 pedals, have embedded steel wear plates/blocks that are not removable.

You might be looking at new pedals.

OtayBW
12-14-2019, 12:38 PM
I've had a pair of Campy Pro-Fits go wonky on me after some time. New cleats don't help. I also bought a pair used a while back that came really effed up, so go figure. But as I've got three sets of these things on 3 bikes, I'll be sticking with them for a while longer. ;)

simonov
12-15-2019, 03:43 AM

Nope, it's the pedal. They'll get a slight bit of wear in key contact areas and because the tolerances are so tight they'll feel sloppy.

Nah bc I changed the cleats not long ago and no play on the other three. I don’t know why buy having multiple pedals is my least favorite part of having multiple bikes.

Do you typically unclip on your left side as well when stopping? How old are the pedals in question?

I had this happen on a couple sets of DA pedals and a shop helped me get warranty replacements because they weren't that old. I still stick with Shimano pedals because I like them more than any of the others I've tried, but this wear is something I keep an eye on. If the pedals are old and abused (like used for gravel riding), I consider the trashed pedal body a trophy of my exploits. But if it happens prematurely, I know Shimano will take care of me.

oldguy00
12-15-2019, 05:30 AM
My pedals don't wear evenly because I have some pelvic imbalances resulting in more foot rotation on one side.
To maximize life, maybe give the surface a squirt of armour all or similar before riding? Otherwise, accept that the lifespan is what it is for your riding style, sell them as used and put the money towards a new pair.

Peter P.
12-15-2019, 05:45 AM
...but Shimano haven't sold those wear plates since the 7900 generation of pedals were being sold. They abandoned the idea so much that the latest generation, the 9100 and 8000 pedals, have embedded steel wear plates/blocks that are not removable...

Planned obsolescence. It keeps Shimano rolling in dough!

oldpotatoe
12-15-2019, 06:02 AM
I’d call shimano in Irvine. I’ll bet you can get those foot plates, they have a part number.

fignon's barber
12-15-2019, 06:04 AM
I use Look. They usually break long before they wear out.

Tickdoc
12-15-2019, 06:56 AM
Nope, it's the pedal. They'll get a slight bit of wear in key contact areas and because the tolerances are so tight they'll feel sloppy.

Do you typically unclip on your left side as well when stopping? How old are the pedals in question?

I had this happen on a couple sets of DA pedals and a shop helped me get warranty replacements because they weren't that old. I still stick with Shimano pedals because I like them more than any of the others I've tried, but this wear is something I keep an eye on. If the pedals are old and abused (like used for gravel riding), I consider the trashed pedal body a trophy of my exploits. But if it happens prematurely, I know Shimano will take care of me.

Haven't really ever thought about which side I unclip for stops, maybe left more than right? 2016 I think? I think I would take ownership for the wear. I haven't had a manufacturer problem with any of my shimano bits. and all of my pedals wear this way.

Dracarys
12-15-2019, 07:01 AM
To the OP: how old are the pedals? Are they still under warranty (2 years for Ultegra)?

Tickdoc
12-15-2019, 07:14 AM
To the OP: how old are the pedals? Are they still under warranty (2 years for Ultegra)?

2016 I think? That's when I got the seven that they have been exclusively on. I'd have to check the box to know for sure.

I'm guessing that they would have 6-7k miles on them?

Schredder
12-15-2019, 10:08 AM
Have you tried tightening the pedal tension? This has worked for me in the past.

John H.
12-15-2019, 10:16 AM
How old/new are your shoes and insoles. They will wear more quickly than a pedal.
I am amazed at how often I see people with cool new bikes, only to see very old and ragged out shoes and insoles.