PDA

View Full Version : My friend flipper

NHAero
12-14-2019, 09:10 AM
Flipping is occasionally vilified here on PL. I was watching this IF bike with S&S couplers and case, on eBay, where it went for $943 on 11/14. It showed up on eBay again a week later, for $1,750, with better photos.

So free enterprise does still exist :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Independent-Fabrication-55cm-Travel-Bike-w-S-S-Couplers-Case-Beautiful-Clean/223761098727?hash=item34193367e7:g:RuYAAOSwiGRd1y4 p

unterhausen
12-14-2019, 09:42 AM
I feel like he's going to be disappointed at that price

hummus_aquinas
12-14-2019, 09:51 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeNXneiblec

avalonracing
12-14-2019, 10:02 AM
I feel like he's going to be disappointed at that price

With a dent in the seat tube and a 9-speed triple, I would hope so.

zzy
12-14-2019, 10:09 AM
you'd think he could have fixed that janky cable routing..

v531xc
12-14-2019, 10:27 AM
the chain isn't running through the front derailleur, either

Elefantino
12-14-2019, 11:46 AM
the chain isn't running through the front derailleur, either

That's Shimano's new 1x Triple.

ultraman6970
12-14-2019, 12:03 PM
At least the seller clean the stuff, others dont even bother.

He has good eye aswell.

d_douglas
12-14-2019, 01:49 PM
That front derailleur setup is deffo a problem !

Flipping seems an insult to many here, but it is his right as the owner. It bugs me, but he’s not doing anything ‘wrong’.

mhespenheide
12-14-2019, 02:25 PM
Flip eBay or flip Craigslist all you want. If you feel like you have a better knowledge of the market and you are willing to gamble your own money on buying a bike or component with the hope of reselling for a higher price elsewhere, go for it.

I have an issue with flipping something from here on Paceline or over on the iBob list (or the like), where we're all a little friendly with prices and appreciate the good karma and goodwill associated with it.

Even then, if something doesn't sell here for a while, have at it.

d_douglas
12-14-2019, 02:33 PM
Flip eBay or flip Craigslist all you want. If you feel like you have a better knowledge of the market and you are willing to gamble your own money on buying a bike or component with the hope of reselling for a higher price elsewhere, go for it.

I have an issue with flipping something from here on Paceline or over on the iBob list (or the like), where we're all a little friendly with prices and appreciate the good karma and goodwill associated with it.

Even then, if something doesn't sell here for a while, have at it.

Yes, agreed. We share some deals here that could be exploited elsewhere. That I don t appreciate.

Hilltopperny
12-14-2019, 02:34 PM
All things considered the bike market is kind of tanking and what this bike originally went for was a reasonably good deal if the buyer were to use it, but I doubt they will get much more than that for it since all the interested parties already bid on it a couple of weeks ago.

I have had enough bikes pass through and have definitely flipped a few in my day, but they were always local finds. If I buy something here for a good deal it is typically passed on at an equally good deal to forum members. It is the sellers prerogative and may not be in good taste, but at least they purchased it on eBay and aren’t one of the vultures here that make up a story or constantly low ball members just to go and flip it for a profit...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

merckx
12-14-2019, 03:47 PM
The chain is also not routed through the rd cage properly.

NHAero
12-14-2019, 03:55 PM
Or at all, for that matter :)

I didn't post this with judgemental intent - I just thought a rel example of flippification was worth noting. I had thought of making an offer of $942 :)

The chain is also not routed through the rd cage properly.

p nut
12-14-2019, 05:57 PM
That's Shimano's new 1x Triple.

You owe me a new keyboard

merckx
12-14-2019, 07:51 PM
Or at all, for that matter :)

I didn't post this with judgemental intent - I just thought a rel example of flippification was worth noting. I had thought of making an offer of $942 :)

It's routed through the cage, just not properly.

NHAero
12-14-2019, 09:33 PM
Indeed, I misread that you were referring to the front derailleur! It's routed through the cage, just not properly.