PDA

View Full Version : OT - different products at Home Depot or Amazon?

NHAero
12-14-2019, 09:03 AM
A short while back I needed a new TA-10 shower spindle for my Symmons Temptrol shower valve. Amazon has it at about $40, HD a bit more. I bought it locally at my plumbing supply store, where I have an account and a small discount, and paid $62.62. Yesterday I discovered one of my Lutron dimmer switches failed. I ordered a new one on Amazon, for $23.46, instead of going to the electrical supply store locally, where in the past i know I'll pay double the online price.

I've seen claims that the manufacturers make two lines of products, one to sell to the trades and one to the big box stores and online merchants, but it's hard for me to imagine that's accurate on plumbing repair parts and light switches, but I'm often naive. I've also heard this is true for tools like cordless drills and the like. I've bought all my Dewalt tools online - are they cheap imitations?

I'm curious if anyone here knows for real if these claims of two levels of quality are accurate.

jimcav
12-14-2019, 09:36 AM
I'm sure there are some big-box store exclusive tool offerings, but as far as major brand electrical outlets and faucets (and in the last few months I've replaced about 6 switches, 3 outlets, two sinks, and 3 faucets ), I've seen the same make and model #s at HD, Ace, True Value, and specialty supply shops, and the only diff was the price. Worse price difference if you have to order it. I was trying to do a sink to match (broke one in a double sink vanity). The old sink was purchased at a big-box store. No longer a stock item. Both the big store and local kitchen and bath place could order--both very expensive with local shop 30% more. I ended up buying 2 new sinks that were in stock on the shelves. More work for me, but it made sense. I've seen the same with things I need for tools--like drill bits, saw blades, sanding belts. Same brands and packaging, very diff. prices. Amazon can be super convenient with large selection if you don't need it the same day, but on many things it isn't cheaper--pays to check around. Recently got some rain barrels via HD online and 2 was less than one at Amazon (same model).

unterhausen
12-14-2019, 09:40 AM
I have a hard time imagining something like your first two examples could be different. Tools sometimes have different sku's, mostly for tracking and warranty reasons. HD has their own line of Dewalt cordless tools for reasons that aren't particularly clear to me. They still carry the regular line.

There are a lot of reasons why online is cheaper. Sometimes it's surplus. Or a large online retailer doesn't have to go through a distributor. Distributor markup, 60%, store markup 100%, price = 320%. Skip the distributor, keep the 100% markup, price = 200%

54ny77
12-14-2019, 10:17 AM
good question.

certain plumbing parts have different guts for sure.

example: bought a delta faucet from hd that went kaput. my plumber yelled at me and said what the f was i thinking. he picked up what appeared to be the same thing (design and model) from the supply house but it literally weighed about 3x the plastic fantastic home depot piece and had all brass internals. was also about 3x the price and lifetime warranty.

and by lifetime, apparently they really mean lifetime. he replaced the internals on another grohe shower faucet that was pushing 30 years old, said grohe honors their products. amazing thing was he had spare parts to fix it, and took the failed unit back to distributor.

NHAero
12-14-2019, 10:37 AM
That's a great example, thanks.
My three shower valves are Symmons partially because I know the parts will be there. The master bath lav faucets are Grohe, hard to beat for quality. Kitchen faucet is a nifty model by Symmons. MA company too!

good question.

certain plumbing parts have different guts for sure.

example: bought a delta faucet from hd that went kaput. my plumber yelled at me and said what the f was i thinking. he picked up what appeared to be the same thing (design and model) from the supply house but it literally weighed about 3x the plastic fantastic home depot piece and had all brass internals. was also about 3x the price and lifetime warranty.

and by lifetime, apparently they really mean lifetime. he replaced the internals on another grohe shower faucet that was pushing 30 years old, said grohe honors their products. amazing thing was he had spare parts to fix it, and took the failed unit back to distributor.

54ny77
12-14-2019, 10:44 AM
lesson learned is never, ever cheap out on plumbing parts, regardless of budget. delay the project or don't do something else if you have to reallocate funds to get quality stuff. that includes piping, fittings, and the guy doing the work.

i was blown away that he had the grohe internals from 30+ years ago. it was a quality piece installed in the house long before i moved in.

get my plumber started talking about cheap crap from do-it-yourself stores and you'll get caught in a 2 hour diatribe. it's ultimately good for him though, because people call him to fix it and do it right, and customers grumble and groan when he says i told you so. :p

My three shower valves are Symmons partially because I know the parts will be there. The master bath lav faucets are Grohe, hard to beat for quality. Kitchen faucet is a nifty model by Symmons. MA company too!

Ken Robb
12-14-2019, 11:02 AM
I know that the name brand clothing sold at COSTCO, Marshall's, etc. may not be the exact same items found at "full price" stores. You can tell by reading the "Care" labels where they list the company it was made for. So the Ralph Lauren "$100" dress my wife buys at Marshall's for $29.95 was never necessarily like one sold in Polo Shops. OTOH it may be just as good--or not. You just have to determine if it's worth $29.95.

The clothing I buy at COSTCO always represents terrific value whether it's their own Kirkland brand or Nautica, etc.

Plum Hill
12-14-2019, 11:16 AM
I have Fisher-Paykel washer and dryer. When purchased, the dealer raved about the quality. Other independent dealers echoes that sentiment.
Now, can’t find anyone that carries the product. All former sellers claimed the products went to crap when FP had to cheapen them up in order to sell to a certain big box store.

Story #2: a friend worked in engineering for a midwestern fab company that made lawn care equipment. Big box store decided not to place any further orders. Time goes by and friend’s company is inundated with warranty claims for tow-behind trailers. No issues had ever surfaced with prior product.
Company then insisted on broken parts to be returned. Obviously a cheap imitation. They then requested all paperwork.
Turns out that big box store sent a specimen item to China and started producing a cheap knock off. The Chinese manufacturer copied the assembly instructions as packaged in the US, complete with warranty information and address of the original company.

#3 I was doing some work at a WalMart store. Someone tossed away the mounting bracket away for an emergency light I had taken down. Having never seen one like that, I called numerous supply houses. All told me the part number was no good. I finally called the name brand manufacturer and was told the same thing. I protested, as I had the item in front of me. Somehow I mentioned where I was working, and the CS person said “oh, they have their own fixtures” and I got the part.
IMO they have specific fixtures so any dweeb can put them up.

I’ve had a hard time buying brand specific parts for fixtures (mainly Delta, as most stores carry generic crap). eBay has come to my rescue more than once. I was even able to get a replacement module for a Dacor range (a terribly crappy company when it comes to replacement parts).

glepore
12-14-2019, 12:08 PM
I have Fisher-Paykel washer and dryer. When purchased, the dealer raved about the quality. Other independent dealers echoes that sentiment.

I’ve had a hard time buying brand specific parts for fixtures (mainly Delta, as most stores carry generic crap). eBay has come to my rescue more than once. I was even able to get a replacement module for a Dacor range (a terribly crappy company when it comes to replacement parts).

Dacor, oh boy. Yeah. I have a cooktop I bought for next to nothing, maybe 8 yrs old, no orifices available other than at extortion prices on the bay.

FP? Yeah, had their cooktop in the last house. They destroyed the company more or less when they started to sell at Lowes.

CNY rider
12-14-2019, 12:26 PM
This is definitely true of power equipment; if you want the real deal, do not buy at Home Depot or Lowe's.
So if you're buying a Honda mower because you want Honda quality, go to a Honda power equipment dealer. The Honda mower you see at HD is cheaper and of inferior quality.
Same thing goes for BBQ grills. I know from experience.

jimcav
12-14-2019, 03:04 PM

I usually buy delta or PF. most have had lifetime limited warranty, but we never really use it because by the time it leaks, we've moved, my wife has been in the mood for a different model (kitchen), or as with my recent sink problem, we replaced both sinks and went with different faucets at the same time. We moved every 2-3 year in the military so never stayed anywhere long enough for faucet internals to matter, but now we may. This has been an interesting thread and I appreciate the info on faucets.