PDA

View Full Version : Replacing broken cable guide knurled nut

cgolvin
12-13-2019, 06:46 PM
I had noticed something was slightly amiss, but taking things apart I realized that the knurled nut of my FD cable guide has broken (pic below). I have a backup so can continue with the build, but it is metal body/plastic nut whereas the broken one is plastic body/metal nut, and I'm undecided on which looks better so I want both options.

Two questions:

1. Are replacement metal knurled nuts easy to find? (Apologies, I haven't looked on eBay or elsewhere) I think I've seen high-end brass ones from some of the builder folks as an option.

2. What's the best approach to removing the broken piece from inside the cable guide?

thanks

cgolvin
12-13-2019, 07:01 PM
D'oh. Quick search to realize that the brass ones I had seen are made by Dave Kirk, and available on his site.

Would still appreciate advice on how to liberate the broken bit.

speedevil
12-13-2019, 07:04 PM
2. What's the best approach to removing the broken piece from inside the cable guide?

You could probably thread an appropriately-sized EZ out into the broken-off part of the adjuster and back it out by hand or with a crescent wrench on the flats of the EZ out.

It can't be that tight since it's threaded into plastic.

Should come out very easily. A replacement might be harder to find than removing the broken part.

Dino SuegiĆ¹
12-13-2019, 07:20 PM
1. Are replacement metal knurled nuts easy to find? (Apologies, I haven't looked on eBay or elsewhere) I think I've seen high-end brass ones from some of the builder folks as an option.
D'oh. Quick search to realize that the brass ones I had seen are made by Dave Kirk, and available on his site.
The Kirk adjusters are very good. In case silver works better with your build, Paragon sell the same pieces but in brushed stainless steel.

https://www.paragonmachineworks.com/cs1013-barrel-adjuster.html

https://www.paragonmachineworks.com/pub/media/catalog/product/cache/73957f9ce7fc0479f14938b7ae3a2e25/c/s/cs1013.jpg

EDIT: I do not recall off-hand: are the Campagnolo cable adjusters like the one in your photo above M4 threaded?
Or are they M5 like the Kirk brass/Paragon stainless?
Iirc some of the Campagnolo were M4 threaded?

cgolvin
12-13-2019, 10:27 PM
Thanks all. I'm not sure what EZ referred to but I managed to dislodge the broken off piece using a small hex key. Also, just FYI, while the holder is plastic there are metal inserts into which the adjusters thread.

I confirmed that the Campy adjusters use an M5.

My 'ethnic' Duende has some gold paint elements so I'm thinking that brass will form a nice complement and I plan to order some of Dave's.

oldpotatoe
12-14-2019, 06:26 AM
Thanks all. I'm not sure what EZ referred to but I managed to dislodge the broken off piece using a small hex key. Also, just FYI, while the holder is plastic there are metal inserts into which the adjusters thread.

I confirmed that the Campy adjusters use an M5.

My 'ethnic' Duende has some gold paint elements so I'm thinking that brass will form a nice complement and I plan to order some of Dave's.

The black plastic Campag ones do but the Campag aluminum ones use something smaller..Not sure of size, 'might' be unique to those. M4?

buddybikes
12-14-2019, 06:57 AM
Believe I have the Paragon ones on my FF, I find them difficult to adjust on the fly, wish there were more grip area

purplecu22
12-15-2019, 03:31 AM
Any bike shop should have lots of those laying around. Every 8-9 speed shifter set came with those. The old bike shop i worked in, We had a box of those.