PDA

View Full Version : OT: I quit drinking alcohol

grateful
12-13-2019, 06:58 AM
I quit drinking alcohol 6 months ago. I wanted to start this thread to highlight a couple of personally important, quantifiable changes that this choice has caused.

1) Cholesterol-I have been suffering with high Cholesterol for years and medication helped to lower it but not near the recommendations from the medical community. There were times I was +300 mg/DL regardless of fitness.

Please keep in mind the standard is <200 mg/DL.

Cholesterol (under prescribed medications) just prior to quitting- 257 mg/DL

Cholesterol (under prescribed medications) 3 months post quitting- 151 mg/DL

2) Hypertension-I have been battling Hypertension for the past 3 years. Prescribed medications weren't effective.

I would take my blood pressure at the local pharmacy on occasion. I happened to do so within a month of my quitting. To my surprise my blood pressure fell into the acceptable range.

I stopped by my Dr. on the drive home and had them confirm my blood pressure readings. I was in fact within the normal range.

3) Weight-245 to 215, no other lifestyle changes.

I could go on discussing subjective findings and I would be happy to do so in a separate thread if anyone would like.

Brad

54ny77
12-13-2019, 07:11 AM
wow, congrats on the huge weight loss and health improvement!

30 lbs lost in 6 months just on quitting alcohol and no other lifestyle changes = ~100,000 calories lost. that's a lotta michelob ultras!

marciero
12-13-2019, 07:13 AM
Awesome.

The usual caveats about causality notwithstanding, those sound like some dramatic improvements.

kohagen
12-13-2019, 07:14 AM
Glad to hear you've had such positive physical responses to quitting drinking. People have different responses to alcohol. Some seem to tolerate moderate amounts of it quite well, others not so much.

All of those changes will help you live a better and healthier life. And your bank account will be happier, too.

grateful
12-13-2019, 07:19 AM
I appreciate the replies. There has not been one negative since I have stopped and the positives, for me, have been extraordinary.

But quitting and my experiences would best be a new thread.

Brad

grateful
12-13-2019, 07:21 AM
Moderation, had that not been an issue for me my historical health record may have told a different story.

Glad to hear you've had such positive physical responses to quitting drinking. People have different responses to alcohol. Some seem to tolerate moderate amounts of it quite well, others not so much.

All of those changes will help you live a better and healthier life. And your bank account will be happier, too.

madsciencenow
12-13-2019, 07:31 AM
I appreciate the replies. There has not been one negative since I have stopped and the positives, for me, have been extraordinary.

But quitting and my experiences would best be a new thread.

Brad

I’d be interested in a new thread. I stopped having a beer every evening and have limited myself to one or two on Friday-Sunday. My blood pressure has been higher than normal for the past two years and I was hoping that cutting back to the weekends might help. My cholesterol is normal but high for me (won the genetic lottery ...). Anyway, I’d be interested in additional benefits and how much you were drinking when your BP and Cholesterol were elevated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TomP
12-13-2019, 07:31 AM
Kudos to you. I have recently cut way back. This has only been for a month. I went from a large glass of wine nightly, to just an occasional normal size glass. I was thin already, 5'7" and 142 lbs. Now at 139 lbs. Sleeping better and overall feel better. Haven't checked blood pressure or cholesterol.

biker72
12-13-2019, 07:52 AM
I can understand the weight loss and BP reduction but the cholesterol drop is a big surprise.

If it works ...it works. Great to hear.....:D

grateful
12-13-2019, 08:18 AM
I was also quite suprised about the cholesterol drop.

Keep in mind that I was tested while in the middle of the weight loss so i was still heavy.

I see the Dr. quarterly for a physical and blood work. I will have more data to share mid January.

I can understand the weight loss and BP reduction but the cholesterol drop is a big surprise.

If it works ...it works. Great to hear.....:D

mulp
12-13-2019, 08:53 AM
Congrats, this is a huge accomplishment. Keep pressing on!

RonW87
12-13-2019, 09:03 AM
OP, how much were you drinking?

oldpotatoe
12-13-2019, 09:10 AM
OP, how much were you drinking?

My question as well...Due to some alcohol induced AFIB, I have cut back a lot too but no weight loss and no change in my BP or cholesterol..BUT for the OP, whatever works..huzzah!!

grateful
12-13-2019, 09:11 AM
Upwards of two bottles of red a night.

My question as well...Due to some alcohol induced AFIB, I have cut back a lot too but no weight loss and no change in my BP or cholesterol..BUT for the OP, whatever works..huzzah!!

oldpotatoe
12-13-2019, 09:12 AM

:eek::eek:Holy moly....Good for you plus good for you goin' cold turkey...

AND, I'd be careful about starting to throw around the description of 'alcoholic' for the OP, or implying it even..I don't think any of us know enough about Grateful to make that determination...

rallizes
12-13-2019, 09:13 AM

wait does upwards mean more than two bottles?

unterhausen
12-13-2019, 09:15 AM
I think that means he didn't always finish the second bottle

joosttx
12-13-2019, 09:16 AM
Great news. Keep it up.

cmb5286
12-13-2019, 09:19 AM
Amazing! Glad to hear you are seeing such dramatic results. Keep it up:banana:

XXtwindad
12-13-2019, 09:20 AM
I was actually thinking of starting a similar thread... really thankful that the OP did.

I have a very close personal and professional friend who entrusts me with his health. I love him a lot. I am not an expert on addiction and I'm unfamiliar with the lexicon of the disease. But I do think he has a drinking "problem." All the activities he considers enjoyable involve booze. He has promised me that he was going to cut back to "two or three drinks a night." He also has a sizeable "beer gut" that poses a health risk.

I used to dance around the issue. Within the past six months, I've started to be more direct, using the word "addiction." His response (in addition to promise on "cutting back") has been to state that everyone has addictions, and that it makes the world a more tolerable place. He alluded to the fact that, during times of extreme stress, I purchase a lot more bike bling. Which is undeniably true.

For the OP, or for others who have loved ones dealing with this disease, I'd really like some advice on how to proceed on addressing the issue. The holidays can be a really rough time of year for excess...

cmg
12-13-2019, 09:27 AM
i'd be interested on hearing how he fought the craving. Like all habits, breaking out of the usual after you've spent a decade letting it become the usual.

DeBike
12-13-2019, 09:27 AM
Good for you on the changes. I am nearing 5 years without alcohol and I do not miss it at all. I got off of numerous meds after quitting. I have gone back on pantoprazole for GERD and have had to add generic Flomax due to prostate/bladder issues. I drank a lot of wine for a lot of years. It took a while before I could honestly say I do not miss it. I firmly believe if I started to drink a glass or two occasionally, it would get to the point of being a problem again.

makoti
12-13-2019, 09:36 AM
Congrats on the health improvements & I hope all of this sticks for you. Have you bothered to figure up the financial gain involved in this? Two bottles a night, even if it was $2 Chuck, that's going to be a lot of available bike money.

grateful
12-13-2019, 09:51 AM
I highly recommend that you suggest your friend read "This Naked Mind"

Your friend mileage may vary and getting him/her to read it will be the challenge but this book was very beneficial to me.

See the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VCJh_eSGNc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOVGLV7GtOE

I hope that helps.

One of my biggest fears was how do I have fun without alcohol. I am not talking riding a bike or driving a new BMW. I am talking dinner, parties, etc.

The unconscious conditioning discussed in this book was real eye opening.

Good luck, alcohol is a killer!

I was actually thinking of starting a similar thread... really thankful that the OP did.

I have a very close personal and professional friend who entrusts me with his health. I love him a lot. I am not an expert on addiction and I'm unfamiliar with the lexicon of the disease. But I do think he has a drinking "problem." All the activities he considers enjoyable involve booze. He has promised me that he was going to cut back to "two or three drinks a night." He also has a sizeable "beer gut" that poses a health risk.

I used to dance around the issue. Within the past six months, I've started to be more direct, using the word "addiction." His response (in addition to promise on "cutting back") has been to state that everyone has addictions, and that it makes the world a more tolerable place. He alluded to the fact that, during times of extreme stress, I purchase a lot more bike bling. Which is undeniably true.

For the OP, or for others who have loved ones dealing with this disease, I'd really like some advice on how to proceed on addressing the issue. The holidays can be a really rough time of year for excess...

grateful
12-13-2019, 09:55 AM
I was probably spending $1000.00 per month on alcohol.

The first time I went to a local restaurant I frequent my tab went from $150.00 to $50.00 this first time my wife and I didn't order alcohol with our meal. We would go out once or twice per week.

Congrats on the health improvements & I hope all of this sticks for you. Have you bothered to figure up the financial gain involved in this? Two bottles a night, even if it was $2 Chuck, that's going to be a lot of available bike money.

saab2000
12-13-2019, 09:58 AM
Congrats! I love the honesty here.

I think we can all look in the mirror and know we could all make some positive changes in our lives. This is a big one for tens of millions of people around the globe.

Elefantino
12-13-2019, 10:42 AM
Good for you.

Yours was a choice. Mine was due to medication but I've been alcohol-free since July 7, 2001.

It does save $!

Mzilliox
12-13-2019, 10:45 AM
great job, the less we poison ourselves, the better our bodies do.

less poison, more vitamins! win win.

ive been trying to drink more, ive got some currency in the bank for body health, i need a mental break lately.

jokes aside, this is a tough fight, good on ya

John H.
12-13-2019, 10:45 AM
1st- congratulations on your changes. This is never easy.

Can you outline what your drinking habits were?

pdonk
12-13-2019, 10:48 AM
Since the birth of my daughater three years ago I have gone from a drink or two every night to a drink or two a week. Am not really missing it, but unfortunately have not lost much weight either but have also not gained much weight.

As per the OP, my wife and I used to laugh that the alcohol portion of the bill was typically the same or higher than the food portion at a few of our favourite restaurants.

My reason for the reduction in drinking is the fear of a hangover in the morning with my daughter and the dawn rides I started doing, neither are conducive to drinking.

I still like and will have a good glass of wine or cocktail when I am out, but have pretty much stopped at home unless we have company over.

This is from a person who planned multiple vacations around visiting bars and has visited about 25 bars that have been or are on the top 50 in the world list and has this bar cart at home (and it has grown since the time this pic was taken a few years ago).

old_fat_and_slow
12-13-2019, 10:48 AM
OP, thanks for stopping drinking. Now there is more left for me! :hello::hello:

93KgBike
12-13-2019, 10:49 AM
Congrats! Posted a similar experience a year or two ago, and can agree whole-heartedly that I feel 100% better too.

Keep it up!

XXtwindad
12-13-2019, 11:10 AM
I highly recommend that you suggest your friend read "This Naked Mind"

Your friend mileage may vary and getting him/her to read it will be the challenge but this book was very beneficial to me.

See the following:

I hope that helps.

One of my biggest fears was how do I have fun without alcohol. I am not talking riding a bike or driving a new BMW. I am talking dinner, parties, etc.

Good luck, alcohol is a killer!

Hey grateful -

Thx for the response. Much appreciated. As I said, I was going to post a thread myself on the topic seeking advice.

If I can get your feedback (or anyone else's) who might've gone through a similar situation with someone they really cared about.

I have a dual role in my friend's life. He also relies on my for his physical well-being. When he tells me he's "cutting back" to two or three drinks a night, do I accept that as a sign of progress, or do I call BS and say that, as someone with an addiction, he has to go cold turkey. I have no personal experience with this addiction and, therefore, have no idea on how to frame things.

grateful
12-13-2019, 11:13 AM
You know, the fight was much easier than I anticipated. What was enormously difficult for me was deciding to get into the fight.

great job, the less we poison ourselves, the better our bodies do.

less poison, more vitamins! win win.

ive been trying to drink more, ive got some currency in the bank for body health, i need a mental break lately.

jokes aside, this is a tough fight, good on ya

bob heinatz
12-13-2019, 11:21 AM
Grateful,
Great job! The body certainly adjusts when we take better care of ourselves.

zambenini
12-13-2019, 11:45 AM
Love this thread. Good mojo here. I go in seasons, I guess... some more, some less, some not at all. I will say I feel best about alcohol when I either don't drink it, or use my 1/1/1 rule ... one beer/1hrs of mountain bike riding / 1week ... i.e. if I ride a MTB 4 hours in a week, that's four beers that week. I don't always adhere to it the rest of the time, but I also usually have a two-unit at a time limit. That's just cuz I'm 35 now.

I pretty much quit buying beer for home consumption unless "my brand" is on sale and I have been physically active a lot (Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - ubiquitous, not too pretentious, but still actually good). It's gotta be on sale. But I'm cheap.

This thread is a good reminder how good life feels without.

skiezo
12-13-2019, 11:55 AM
Great choice to be pro active in your own healthcare,No one else will.

MattTuck
12-13-2019, 11:58 AM
I wonder how much of the physiological improvement was the result of eliminating the ethanol compared to eliminating the sugars that are also in wine.

Good job grateful! Unfortunately, I don't think my 1 or 2 glasses of wine a month are what's keeping me heavy.

grateful
12-13-2019, 12:31 PM
I am going to write my personal story. Please respond with your thoughts in a constructive manner. I will support this thread being closed if it is not used for open dialog and that would be a shame.

If you believe in statistics a great number of alcoholics are members of this forum. This is to tell them what I experienced with added some context. I HOPE IT HELPS.

I come from what I would consider the typical middle class from my time period. You know, the one always shown on TV.

My parents owned a small business. I had a dog. I had a bike. For those of you who grew up when I did Atari didn't begin to fight with the bike for our attentions until the early teens.

I played soccer, football, basketball and was a competitive swimmer.

I didn’t drink until my senior year.

Off to college. I began to love to drink in excess. I didn't drink every day. When I did (every Friday/Saturday) I was with friends who did the same. Never Sunday. I never drank on Sunday so that I was recovered for Monday. DWI, outpatient therapy, AA all followed.

A few very close friends left the binge drinking behind at some point and we lost touch.

Some friends quit drinking. I envied them. We lost touch.

But I was not ready to fight.

Once married, the pattern above continued only a couple of glasses of wine a night was added to the schedule. Please keep in mind that a couple glasses of wine equaled 3/4 of a bottle. Big glasses help you ignore the fact that your alcoholism is growing worse because everyone has two glasses a wine with dinner.

My two glass limit escalated to three glasses a night. This required I purchase two bottles instead of one. This had the added benefit of being able disguise my consumption because there were always ½ full bottles of wine floating around.

This became two bottles of wine nightly.

My wife prefers Vodka. She does not currently have a problem with alcohol but if she has a drink it is a vodka soda.

I began to take pulls off her vodka. When no one was looking.

I am now Sober.

Alcohol rarely got in the way of my professional career. I am and have always been gainfully employed. While it certainly had non-desirable affects (especially Monday’s) I have remained productive. Hangovers were not an issue. Sleep was.

The biggest fear for me prior to deciding to enter the fight was how do I enjoy life without alcohol. I am not kidding. Nobody on that beach you see on TV having the time of their life is sipping a bottled water

As I have said elsewhere, the fight for me was remarkably easy and quickly my body began to compensate for the lack of alcohol.

Thoughts?

Brad

Hey grateful -

Thanks for the response. Much appreciated. As I said, I was going to post a thread myself on the topic seeking advice.

If I can get your feedback (or anyone else's) who might've gone through a similar situation with someone they really cared about.

I have a dual role in my friend's life. He also relies on my for his physical well-being. When he tells me he's "cutting back" to two or three drinks a night, do I accept that as a sign of progress, or do I call BS and say that, as someone with an addiction, he has to go cold turkey. I have no personal experience with this addiction and, therefore, have no idea on how to frame things.

grateful
12-13-2019, 12:39 PM
I had to go cold turkey. i would easily go a night or two without alcohol. i could even have just a glass. What I couldn't do was continue that control with any consistency. A binge was always coming.

A sign of alcoholism is controlling/cutting back your drinking. Non-alcoholics don't typically speak of limiting, cutting down, etc. as they don't have anything out of control to control. If you have to control you are eventually going to lose.

Hey grateful -

Thx for the response. Much appreciated. As I said, I was going to post a thread myself on the topic seeking advice.

Drmojo
12-13-2019, 12:46 PM
many thanks for your brutal honesty. I too have battled demon rum-and often lost in spectacular fashion. Today I am winning and grateful.
one breath at a time my brother!
And everyone has their own path-no need for superstition to stay clean and dry

XXtwindad
12-13-2019, 12:51 PM
I had to go cold turkey. i would easily go a night or two without alcohol. i could even have just a glass. What I couldn't do was continue that control with any consistency. A binge was always coming.

A sign of alcoholism is controlling/cutting back your drinking. Non-alcoholics don't typically speak of limiting, cutting down, etc. as they don't have anything out of control to control. If you have to control you are eventually going to lose.

Thanks for sharing your story. Very compelling and helpful. And thanks for your advice on my question. Really dreading this. I don't think I'm being a good friend unless I'm brutally honest. It might cost both my personal and professional relationship with him, but otherwise I feel like I'm complicit in the lying.

grateful
12-13-2019, 12:54 PM
This was for sale but with the money I am saving I decided to build it. If anyone has a nice set of 2014 Record 11 Speed levers they would be willing to part with i could finish her up!

stackie
12-13-2019, 01:04 PM
Grateful,

Thanks for starting this thread and your honest posts.

Your statements about the hard part being the decision to begin the fight resonate with me. I’m going through similar thought processes myself at this moment. Eg, I like my wine with dinner..., a bottle between wife and I is ok..., I don’t drink when I’m on call..., I’m ok. It’s all very easy to just normalize your consumption in the ways that you described. But, there’s always a trade off.

XXtwindad. You need to call your friend on it. If you care, you’ll call him on it. I recently had to ask one my colleagues if they were using narcs. He was shocked. I said I’m asking because I care. He gave me random test results from his other workplace.

Thanks again,

Jon

grateful
12-13-2019, 01:19 PM
He will hear you. If he is ready to make the change he will listen.

I am going to recommend The Naked Mind book once again.

When I began to read her book I was shocked how close her story was to mine.

Of note, the beginning of the book doesn't come out and say you need to quit totally. Important because it helps get the person to begin reading. While that changes as the book continues it helps with that initial fear that you have to stop completely.

For me that was important.

Thanks for sharing your story. Very compelling and helpful. And thanks for your advice on my question. Really dreading this. I don't think I'm being a good friend unless I'm brutally honest. It might cost both my personal and professional relationship with him, but otherwise I feel like I'm complicit in the lying.

zambenini
12-13-2019, 01:20 PM
A buddy will ignore a drinking problem but a friend will call you on it. There's a huge difference. Good luck my man.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

kohagen
12-13-2019, 01:33 PM
He will hear you. If he is ready to make the change he will listen.

I am going to recommend The Naked Mind book once again.

When I began to read her book I was shocked how close her story was to mine.

Of note, the beginning of the book doesn't come out and say you need to quit totally. Important because it helps get the person to begin reading. While that changes as the book continues it helps with that initial fear that you have to stop completely.

For me that was important.

Back in the day, I liked "Drinking: A Love Story". A good read about this issue.

redir
12-13-2019, 02:24 PM
Hey grateful -

For you, or your friend, or anyone else reading this who suffers from AUD look up "The Sinclair Method" and do some research. It doesn't work for everyone, nothing really does, but if you are the right type of AUD, specifically binge drinking for example when you have one drink you have an insane desire for another one and you drink till you are drunk, then it probably will work.

I used to drink just as much or more as the OP because I could not stop once I started. With TSM I can literally have one drink now and then go off and do anything I want.

Anyone feel free to PM me if you do not want to talk about this in the open.

makoti
12-13-2019, 02:52 PM

I had to do this. It wasn't fun or pretty. It strained our friendship at first, but I couldn't just watch it happen without trying.
At the end, it didn't help. He ended up losing a job, a wife, and eventually his life. I miss him. I always feel that there had to be something I could have done. I also know that, ultimately, he was the one who needed to do it for himself.
Good luck.

joosttx
12-13-2019, 03:33 PM
I was probably spending $1000.00 per month on alcohol.

The first time I went to a local restaurant I frequent my tab went from $150.00 to $50.00 this first time my wife and I didn't order alcohol with our meal. We would go out once or twice per week.

Move to San Francisco and you'll stop drinking quick :). I went surfing with a guy who gave up drinking and switched to edibles because of the economics.

Again, happy to read about your success.

AngryScientist
12-13-2019, 03:49 PM
good for you grateful.

it sounds like the level of drinking you were at was pretty severe.

my initial thought when reading the first post was that the health benefits (reduction on cholesterol and hypertension) were really the result of losing a good chunk of weight, not the cutting of alcohol - but in the end, it doesnt matter, you are healthier, and not dependent on medication, and that's great.

i wish you much continued success and health. thank you for you open and honest dialog.

keep us posted on how you get on.

FlashUNC
12-13-2019, 04:17 PM
Having known enough active and recovering alcoholics, kudos. Keep working whatever program you have -- whether that's AA or something else -- and recovery is a day at a time.

54ny77
12-13-2019, 04:45 PM
damned good thread.

again to the op: congrats and more power to ya! you sure answered my original question re: calories lost and what that kind of calorie consumption that equated to previously.

i have a buddy who was pretty active cyclist and general fitness. stress and life somehow mixed itself into a toxic cocktail that also includes a lotta vodka cocktails, and his weight literally doubled to almost 300, which is about 140 past healthy given his frame. i've asked to think of his kids to get his ^%!# together but, there's only so much one can do. as another poster said, one has to do whatever it is that needs to be done, by & for themselves.

soulspinner
12-13-2019, 04:52 PM
Stay on the bike. Good on you man. About my 3 pints a nite...

grateful
12-13-2019, 06:02 PM
Stay on the bike. Good on you man. About my 3 pints a nite...

I became an adult (legal drinking age), in Seattle. Startup craft brews were on tap at every club, some awesome band was playing every night of the week. Good times for sure.

I knew it was downhill when I started selecting my next pint based on alcohol content.

grateful
12-13-2019, 06:05 PM
Been posting here since the beginning. I am not going anywhere.
:banana:
good for you grateful.

it sounds like the level of drinking you were at was pretty severe.

my initial thought when reading the first post was that the health benefits (reduction on cholesterol and hypertension) were really the result of losing a good chunk of weight, not the cutting of alcohol - but in the end, it doesnt matter, you are healthier, and not dependent on medication, and that's great.

i wish you much continued success and health. thank you for you open and honest dialog.

keep us posted on how you get on.

grateful
12-13-2019, 06:13 PM
I suggest you find a book about the topic that is highly rated and gift that with a personal note. When he is ready he may find it valuable and treasure it as a beautiful gift.

QUOTE=54ny77;2632214]damned good thread.

again to the op: congrats and more power to ya! you sure answered my original question re: calories lost and what that kind of calorie consumption that equated to previously.

i have a buddy who was pretty active cyclist and general fitness. stress and life somehow mixed itself into a toxic cocktail that also includes a lotta vodka cocktails, and his weight literally doubled to almost 300, which is about 140 past healthy given his frame. i've asked to think of his kids to get his ^%!# together but, there's only so much one can do. as another poster said, one has to do whatever it is that needs to be done, by & for themselves.[/QUOTE]

IJWS
12-13-2019, 06:44 PM
Congratulations to the OP. Quitting drinking voluntarily is a huge step.

I have been dipping my toes in the not drinking pool for a while. I remember several months ago being on a ride one morning after a not so moderate night and feeling terrible, then thinking to myself “oh wow, I used to feel like this 6 days a week.”

It’s good to be cleaner and lighter. It’s even better to start dealing with life-threatening bad habits. I think that you are traveling down a hard road, but you are on the right track so keep it up!

gianni
12-13-2019, 10:41 PM
As others have said, Big thanks to OP for sharing and being so candid.

This thread speaks of the long-game and opportunities for self reflection.

Congrats on your choices and thanks for being an example of positive change.

Clean39T
02-14-2020, 05:26 PM
Checking in on this thread as part of my positive attitude Friday...

I quit drinking the day this thread was posted - interesting non-causative coincidence - and it's now been two months. The not-drinking part has been easy and worth it - I feel better, I'm getting more done, sharper, etc. Unfortunately, this has been a non-scale victory. Not really sure why, but my set-point is being incredibly stubborn. Regardless, I'm glad I took the step. It is difficult to buck the trend in our society, especially in certain circles, but worth it.

Tony T
02-14-2020, 05:34 PM
I stop drinking (or close to it) in the winter when I stop riding, as I have enough trouble with winter weight. Once I start riding again next month, i’ll return to about a 6-pack per week with some wine and bourbon every now and then. I’m lucky that I’ve yet to have a problem just stopping.

grateful
02-14-2020, 06:03 PM
Hi all, everything good here. This thread made me count the months, 7 to be exact.

I feel like a headlight on a north bound train.

Brad

XXtwindad
02-14-2020, 06:14 PM
Hi all, everything good here. This thread made me count the months, 7 to be exact.

I feel like a headlight on a north bound train.

Brad

Congrats! It takes a lot of willpower.
I'll add that addiction can take many forms. I'm trying to set a good example for my daughters that you can't drink, screw, or buy your way out of turbulent emotional times. I've tried the latter two. It doesn't work.

redir
02-14-2020, 06:35 PM
Checking in on this thread as part of my positive attitude Friday...

I quit drinking the day this thread was posted - interesting non-causative coincidence - and it's now been two months. The not-drinking part has been easy and worth it - I feel better, I'm getting more done, sharper, etc. Unfortunately, this has been a non-scale victory. Not really sure why, but my set-point is being incredibly stubborn. Regardless, I'm glad I took the step. It is difficult to buck the trend in our society, especially in certain circles, but worth it.

So you can live up to your Clean name ;)

And yes drinking is the norm in our society for sure.

93KgBike
02-14-2020, 07:02 PM
I used to drink quite nearly that much as a non-alcoholic, grateful. Kudos to you for doing it and sticking to it. Dealing with routine sobriety is an issue, even if you're not an addict, and those bad habits are super popular - so well done!

It has been a few years I think for me, and I can't imagine how it took me so long. I also gave up the NFL and the NCAA at more or less the same time. And we are 5:2 veg to animal protein on home meals. Good things for our house.

Great thread!

clyde the point
02-14-2020, 07:53 PM
12.13.95 is coincidentally my sober date. Long story for another time. My past included many substances other than etoh, though I used plenty of it as well.

robt57
02-14-2020, 08:16 PM
01/14/2008. Now I can afford a bunch of nice bikes too! Mostly for health/weight reasons, and to save coin. And boy the coin part adds up too!

Dude
02-15-2020, 06:08 AM
Happy for OP and everyone else. To get some context, how much are you all drinking, on average, before quitting?

dpdan93
02-15-2020, 06:12 AM
Cheers to everyone in this thread. Next weekend will mark 3 years without alcohol for me. Didn't love the way it made my body feel and I'm in the camp of I'd rather eat my calories than drink a beer...

grateful
02-15-2020, 07:28 AM
I am certainly glad this thread is still alive. I thought long and hard prior to posting it as, once digital, the message is forever. I wasn't sure I wanted my name associated with addiction for all to see. This thread has confirmed for me that posting it was the right thing to do. Thank you to all that have participated.

I more strongly than ever feel the original title should read I quit **** **** as I continue to educate myself on addiction. It really isn't about alcohol as many addictions are fueled by the same external pressures and the physical changes to your body (particularly the brain) that start the inevitable cycle.

I just read a wiki on the celebrity Jamil. I had seen her in the media quite frequently but never paid attention to who she was. I found this quote almost immediately regarding anorexia nervosa:

"I was bombarded with a narrative that had no alternative. There were never any women who were celebrated for their intellect ... and all of my magazines were selling me weight loss products or telling me to be thin. Otherwise, I wasn't worth anything."

For me, acknowledging, understanding and observing (in that order) how marketing influences behavior (particularly at a young age) was a huge part of my continuing recovery.

Remember when everyone smoked? Look at the marketing of the time. The generations that followed the removal of cigarette ads from mainstream media were considerable less likely to smoke cigarettes than the previous generations.

Guess what, no laws against advertising vaping. Marketing tells us that vaping is cool, safer. Now look at the generations that found smoking cigarettes "uncool". Those generations are vaping. Coincidence?

I am certain that there are many variables that cause addiction. Marketing is just one. But it is now one that I am GRATEFUL that I better understand (or more appropriately, focus on the end goal of the product manufacturer (sell more widgets (alcohol, cigarettes, gravel bikes, etc.). Addiction = revenue!

One last comment before I jump off of my soapbox. Please read This Naked Mind by Annie Grace. It is currently the #1 best seller in alcoholism recovery on Amazon but has a message that, in my opinion, will be extremely beneficial to all.

Brad

oldpotatoe
02-15-2020, 07:57 AM
I have 'essentially' stopped because of 3 unexplained episodes of afib, in the last 5 months, after none for 10 years..Heart docs don't know why, even after numerous heart evals/tests/etc, etc.... I even started the 'alien face hugger' gig in September(CPAP machine..I was tested low 'serious' range..35 'events of apnea per hour). Reward was a bout of afib in October..:butt:

SO..along with one episode of atrial tachycardia..I'm now on a maintenance regimen of flecaidide and diltiazem..could not tolerate metropolol BUT..kinda bad ju-ju drinking with these drugs(or so google-foo says so)..
Yup, I miss a beer in the afternoon, evening. Haven't lost one ounce...

No More Fun Of Any Kind...:help:

OtayBW
02-15-2020, 09:09 AM
..could not tolerate metropolol...
This is a beta-blocker, no? I was on the lowest realistic dose some years ago and the blunted heart rate thing did not agree with me....

unterhausen
02-15-2020, 09:13 AM
cutting way back on my alcohol consumption didn't cause me to lose weight, but it does seem a little easier to maintain. But now if I have two beers, I feel like crap the next day

oldpotatoe
02-15-2020, 09:24 AM
This is a beta-blocker, no? I was on the lowest realistic dose some years ago and the blunted heart rate thing did not agree with me....

It is and I was a poster child for side effects..
Tight chest, wheezing, coughing, short of breath..25mg twice per day..
I carried a bucket of ice melt about 20 feet to my car, saw stars, had to sit down before I drove...The 'diltiazen' is a 'calcium blocker'..I guess does the same sort of thing. I can ride but the weather has been so snowy, haven't had a chance.

robt57
02-15-2020, 09:32 AM

During the cycling season I cut the dose in 1/2. I need a bit more max HR that part of the year, and all the exercise lowers the BP too low on the full dose, albeit full is on 25mg. Not racing, so it really isn't a bad thing it makes it hard to achieve anaerobic state.

XXtwindad
02-15-2020, 09:35 AM
I am certainly glad this thread is still alive. I thought long and hard prior to posting it as, once digital, the message is forever. I wasn't sure I wanted my name associated with addiction for all to see. This thread has confirmed for me that posting it was the right thing to do. Thank you to all that have participated.

I more strongly than ever feel the original title should read I quit **** **** as I continue to educate myself on addiction. It really isn't about alcohol as many addictions are fueled by the same external pressures and the physical changes to your body (particularly the brain) that start the inevitable cycle.

I just read a wiki on the celebrity Jamil. I had seen her in the media quite frequently but never paid attention to who she was. I found this quote almost immediately regarding anorexia nervosa:

"I was bombarded with a narrative that had no alternative. There were never any women who were celebrated for their intellect ... and all of my magazines were selling me weight loss products or telling me to be thin. Otherwise, I wasn't worth anything."

For me, acknowledging, understanding and observing (in that order) how marketing influences behavior (particularly at a young age) was a huge part of my continuing recovery.

Remember when everyone smoked? Look at the marketing of the time. The generations that followed the removal of cigarette ads from mainstream media were considerable less likely to smoke cigarettes than the previous generations.

Guess what, no laws against advertising vaping. Marketing tells us that vaping is cool, safer. Now look at the generations that found smoking cigarettes "uncool". Those generations are vaping. Coincidence?

I am certain that there are many variables that cause addiction. Marketing is just one. But it is now one that I am GRATEFUL that I better understand (or more appropriately, focus on the end goal of the product manufacturer (sell more widgets (alcohol, cigarettes, gravel bikes, etc.). Addiction = revenue!

One last comment before I jump off of my soapbox. Please read This Naked Mind by Annie Grace. It is currently the #1 best seller in alcoholism recovery on Amazon but has a message that, in my opinion, will be extremely beneficial to all.

Brad

Wonderful post. Thanks for sharing.

OtayBW
02-15-2020, 09:48 AM
It is and I was a poster child for side effects..
Tight chest, wheezing, coughing, short of breath..25mg twice per day..
I carried a bucket of ice melt about 20 feet to my car, saw stars, had to sit down before I drove...The 'diltiazen' is a 'calcium blocker'..I guess does the same sort of thing. I can ride but the weather has been so snowy, haven't had a chance.

During the cycling season I cut the dose in 1/2. I need a bit more max HR that part of the year, and all the exercise lowers the BP too low on the full dose, albeit full is on 25mg. Not racing, so it really isn't a bad thing it makes it hard to achieve anaerobic state.
Yep - I get it ....to both above. I was on 25 mg 1x daily and it was too much. I went off pretty soon thereafter. I am now on a low dose of an angiotensin inhibitor for an occasional and slight arrhythmia and BP, and it seems to do much better. However, while my cycling hasn't been the same for the last few years, I can't really point to it as the/a cause.....nor can I eliminate it....

mnoble485
02-17-2020, 08:42 AM
My screen name has my clean date in it. I should probably add 28 in the middle. Maybe we could start an on line meeting. :).

Mike

Onion
02-19-2020, 04:14 PM
wonderful and massively encouraging thread. i did dry january again this year and am limiting drinking to weekends as someone else posted earlier. I can have a drink or two, but usually just as happy to have five or six. lost a few pounds but crucially, now turning 40, am feeling better when the 4:45 alarm goes off and it's time to hit the road. i drink a lot more tea now. thanks again for starting the threat Grateful, and congrats with your on-going success.

alwayssnacking
02-19-2020, 05:32 PM
cut alcohol this year, even limiting sugar and coffee i take. so far no differences, but there’s all this extra cash :banana:

steveoz
02-22-2020, 01:26 PM
Been following this thread for a while, occasionally writing a post then erasing it before posting, I've been dry for 13 years, for all who have tried and are still trying - congratulations- I'll say the only way I could find to overcome was to think of how much I have invested in the effort (this is a daily fight BTW- when you think "I've beat it - it comes back and beats you). I tried quitting once before earlier in life, lasted about 9 months, then slowly fell off the wagon, one beer at a time -thinking "moderation" was the key...pfft that sh** runs deep in my genes and moderation lead back to 12 pack a night...At 39 I made it my goal to be sober by 40 - and did it - and it was possibly the hardest thing I've faced in my life. I look at it this way - I can't go back because don't have strength to face the feelings of disappointment and failure in myself and have to go through the emotions of withdraw again.

(as a post-script I dropped a ton of weight and kept it off for years-but the need for sugar/carbs kinda took the place of all that beer and the waistline slowly expanded back out to nearly drinking level- am in the process of cutting sugar and carbs now and is about as difficult as alcohol - the emotional ups and downs are a sonofabitch..)

grateful
07-13-2020, 06:46 PM
Thought that I would report in. It has been just over a year since I quit. Still going strong.

charliedid
07-13-2020, 06:53 PM
Thought that I would report in. It has been just over a year since I quit. Still going strong.

Nice work.

XXtwindad
07-13-2020, 06:55 PM

Kudos, Brother! We all have our addictions. It takes courage, discipline, and perseverance. Keep up the good work!

majorpat
07-13-2020, 07:34 PM
Keep it up, you’re living proof.

Peter P.
07-13-2020, 08:05 PM
Recently, a coworker confided in me that he had a drinking problem. I had even heard other employees make off-hand statements like, "if he doesn't stop, we may have to hold an intervention." He was never drunk at work; he would just look and act like the hangover.

One employee, a sweetheart of a woman, gave my coworker a book titled, This Naked Mind, by Annie Grace. She suggested he read the book to possibly assist him breaking his addiction.

In This Naked Mind, the author isn't just offering "expert" advice. She was addicted to alcohol herself, and isn't shy talking about it. The book is loaded with quoted experts, and facts, for those that enjoy a technical read. But it's an easy read as well.

Well, he got to Chapter 3 of 24 and the story of the Pitcher Plant hit him. He recognized his problem and he's stopped drinking.

His story was so interesting I found a copy of the book and I'm reading it now, even though I don't drink alcohol, just to see what he read that turned on the light for him.

Worthwhile reading for anyone seeking help.

pbarry
07-13-2020, 08:16 PM
Awesome thread! I'm 10.5 months sober, and it's been the best decision I've ever made. Had no idea what power I'd given to the bottle. Thanks for all the input above. :)

BTW, I'm thin, 5'10", 152lbs. Total cholesterol was 222 before quitting, (with high HDL that is sometimes common with heavy drinkers.). Down to 198 total after 3 months sober.

Toeclips
07-13-2020, 08:34 PM
Way to go Grateful!! It only gets better

Can't wait to read about year two

redir
07-13-2020, 08:38 PM
Good job bro! Keep on keepin' on.

Toeclips
07-13-2020, 08:42 PM
and to PBarry and every one else going though this
I'm right there with you
Congrats

josephr
07-13-2020, 09:08 PM

for me it was only one bottle of red...of course, they were the Kirkland's Cab 1.5L bottle...but was just ONE bottle! :rolleyes:

slowing down here too...I take an SSRI also...starting to realize how much the next day I feel like crap because the two don't mix. Would quit completely but someone just gave me a nice bottle of bourbon, so I'm sipping on that.

ridethecliche
07-14-2020, 01:34 AM
Skimmed this thread a bit and wanted to say congrats to all those that have cut down or quit.

But please don't quit cold turkey if you drink a few drinks everyday. Alcohol withdrawal can kill you.

Naltrexone is also great if it's an option for you. Talk to your doctor blah blah blah

DeBike
07-14-2020, 03:43 AM
I have been alcohol free for over 5 years now. I was a bartender for close to 25 years and I drank a lot. I do not miss it, but, I do occasionally think to myself that a glass of wine with dinner would be nice. That is a fleeting thought. I got off numerous meds. I now have bicycles and riding as my present addiction. Life is still life, but in general, it is much better for me alcohol free.

oldpotatoe
07-14-2020, 06:12 AM
I have 'essentially' stopped because of 3 unexplained episodes of afib, in the last 5 months, after none for 10 years..Heart docs don't know why, even after numerous heart evals/tests/etc, etc.... I even started the 'alien face hugger' gig in September(CPAP machine..I was tested low 'serious' range..35 'events of apnea per hour). Reward was a bout of afib in October..:butt:

SO..along with one episode of atrial tachycardia..I'm now on a maintenance regimen of flecaidide and diltiazem..could not tolerate metropolol BUT..kinda bad ju-ju drinking with these drugs(or so google-foo says so)..
Yup, I miss a beer in the afternoon, evening. Haven't lost one ounce...

No More Fun Of Any Kind...:help:

I back slid a little bit. A beer, never more than 2, starting in March, about 3 times per week..Another unexplained bout of afib now, started last Saturday, 5:30..even on the meds that 'might' have prevented it so..

Ablation this coming Tuesday...doc VERY experienced, in the 500s for these..

Nice to have a possible path forward..afib for me not really life threateneing but could be and certainly no fun.

For those celebrating sobriety for any reason, congratulations..well done!

grateful
07-14-2020, 07:19 AM
Peter,

You are spot on regarding Annie Grace's book. Science and Psychology in layman's terms.

That book helped save my life, YMMV.

Brad

"I highly recommend that you suggest your friend read "This Naked Mind"

See the following:

I hope that helps.

Good luck, alcohol is a killer!"

Recently, a coworker confided in me that he had a drinking problem. I had even heard other employees make off-hand statements like, "if he doesn't stop, we may have to hold an intervention." He was never drunk at work; he would just look and act like the hangover.

One employee, a sweetheart of a woman, gave my coworker a book titled, The Naked Mind, by Annie Grace. She suggested he read the book to possibly assist him breaking his addiction.

Well, he got to Chapter 3 of 24 and the story of the Pitcher Plant hit him. He recognized his problem and he's stopped drinking.

His story was so interesting I found a copy of the book and I'm reading it now, even though I don't drink alcohol, just to see what he read that turned on the light for him.

Worthwhile reading for anyone seeking help.

mnoble485
07-14-2020, 10:48 AM
My screen name has my clean date in it. I should probably add 28 in the middle. Maybe we could start an on line meeting. :).

Mike

Quoting myself, ticked over another year on 4/28. I know in a very deep sense that if I had continued on I would be dead. Congratulations to all others on our shared road.

Mike

mistermo
07-14-2020, 12:35 PM

We should probably start a thread about ablations. I had one about 4ish years ago, after going lights out during an afib moment immediately after computrainer workout. Been fine since. My buddy was head of IU cardiology and hooked me up with a super experienced Doc. Really, it's a miracle 'procedure' that they can do that. Science is cool.

Back on topic.... Congrats to all who are celebrating sobriety. I've got a buddy who drank too much, was overweight and looked unhealthy. He quit alcohol 100% and switched to 'weed'. He looks 1000x better, lost weight, exercises, and seems generally more happy and satisfied with life. Others with this experience?

Birch
07-14-2020, 02:10 PM
I back slid a little bit. A beer, never more than 2, starting in March, about 3 times per week..Another unexplained bout of afib now, started last Saturday, 5:30..even on the meds that 'might' have prevented it so..

Nice to have a possible path forward..afib for me not really life threateneing but could be and certainly no fun.

For those celebrating sobriety for any reason, congratulations..well done!

Yeah... I’m staring down an ablation as well.

Not looking forward to 4 months on blood thinners, but better than my ER trips for afib.

Fixed
07-14-2020, 02:15 PM
I stoped drinking alcohol 35 years ago
But My ex wife could drink more than most men ...she died of cancer it seems drinking can increases your risk .

grateful
07-14-2020, 02:33 PM
Withdrawal was no joke, that is for sure. I heard voices.

Skimmed this thread a bit and wanted to say congrats to all those that have cut down or quit.

But please don't quit cold turkey if you drink a few drinks everyday. Alcohol withdrawal can kill you.

Naltrexone is also great if it's an option for you. Talk to your doctor blah blah blah

ls1togo
07-14-2020, 06:00 PM
my last drink was June 7, 1977...although my decision was not made as personal growth attribute but one of desperation and the recognition that before me if I continued on the path I was on, it was not death (no fear) but a life of never ending insanity....
I am 73 and instead what I have experienced is a useful and fulfilling life (and sooo many people!) that I did not believe could have existed for me...It's had it's ups and downs but in retrospect I would not missed for the world,..it is truly about being "rocketed into the fourth dimension".. :)
I read this thread several times and I generally don't comment, but I was very moved by the comments of so many in such an odd place (PL)...Congratulations to all those that have stepped on the path and those that would consider it...it's is more than imaginable!...(my two cents)

skiezo
07-14-2020, 07:30 PM
I just celebrated 11 years clean in May 2020. Had about 14 years clean before and a surgery with a morphine script afterwards sent me out again for about 8 years. Being a combat medic in the Army Rangers for 7 years in the early to mid 80's I had access to pretty much all the morphine ampule's that I wanted. It did not turn out well for me after I got out.
Now after 11 years beyond my wildest dreams and it keeps getting better.

Dino Suegiù
07-14-2020, 08:13 PM
This is one of the most important OT threads on this forum.

Bravo, grateful (and others who have done the same).

Hang in there, brother(s, and sisters too). https://forums.thepaceline.net/images/icons/icon14.gif

Frankwurst
07-14-2020, 09:31 PM
I figured if Keith Richards could stop doing heroin numerous times I could stop drinking. I say stop because if I say quit it means that's it I'm done, No mas. I haven't had a drink for eight weeks after stopping to have a hip replaced. I figured I'd start again but when I don't know. Some days I'd like to have one but that always passes and others I just don't care so I guess I'll jump off that bridge when the time comes. If it does. I know one thing for sure. If I never drink again there are going to be a lot of surprised people trying to figure out what happened. Myself included. :beer:

Toeclips
07-14-2020, 11:39 PM
Skiezo good job man
Sadly I had a bunch of friends who would have liked to write that story today

Peter P.
07-15-2020, 05:04 AM
I know one thing for sure. If I never drink again there are going to be a lot of surprised people trying to figure out what happened. Myself included. :beer:

Annie Grace's book addresses that issue as well.

alancw3
07-15-2020, 06:37 AM
Great thread! Question. Do you guys find that drinking is a function of boredom? Perhaps more so in the elderly. A way to help the day go by. I am 73 and a couple of years ago at 71 my body started to give out because of old sports injuries and just getting old. Could no longer do 3-4 hours of strenuous excersice each day. Started drinking more. Then last year more frequent injuries really starting taking their tole. Consequently I find myself with an abundance of extra time on my hands each day. My alcohol consumption has risen. It is so easy to just grab a few beers any time of the day. I have always only been a beer drinker and during my working/parenting years never drank during the week only weekends and then not much. And of course my college years (mid sixties) were like the Animal House movie. I watched the Annie Gracie videos and will be buying her book also. The thing that concerns me is quite frankly I really enjoy the buzz feeling after several beers. But back to my original question relating to boredom and drinking? Thoughts?

oldpotatoe
07-15-2020, 06:42 AM
Yeah... I’m staring down an ablation as well.

Not looking forward to 4 months on blood thinners, but better than my ER trips for afib.

Been on blood thinners(Eliquis)since Jan 2016 for a PE(pulmonary embolism), really no big deal plus it's an automatic if you get afib. :)

grateful
07-15-2020, 09:54 AM
Yes, for sure.

Great thread! Question. Do you guys find that drinking is a function of boredom? Perhaps more so in the elderly. A way to help the day go by. I am 73 and a couple of years ago at 71 my body started to give out because of old sports injuries and just getting old. Could no longer do 3-4 hours of strenuous excersice each day. Started drinking more. Then last year more frequent injuries really starting taking their tole. Consequently I find myself with an abundance of extra time on my hands each day. My alcohol consumption has risen. It is so easy to just grab a few beers any time of the day. I have always only been a beer drinker and during my working/parenting years never drank during the week only weekends and then not much. And of course my college years (mid sixties) were like the Animal House movie. I watched the Annie Gracie videos and will be buying her book also. The thing that concerns me is quite frankly I really enjoy the buzz feeling after several beers. But back to my original question relating to boredom and drinking? Thoughts?

redir
07-15-2020, 11:04 AM
Yes I think time and boredom has a LOT to do with it. I've noticed in this recent pandemic I have been consuming much more then I normally do. No where near as much as I used to but still... more.

steveoz
07-15-2020, 04:58 PM

After I quit I realized how many hours there actually are in the day! It was an adjustment to be sober the entire time, beer "shut down" my mind so I didn't know(care) about the passage of time.

retropean
07-16-2020, 05:08 PM
Congrats to all the sober folk in the thread! I just passed my three year sober anniversary.

I wouldn't drink daily but I'd go out on weekends and get smashed. What I've noticed:
-Money savings (seems amazing that I'd spend $10 on a beverage now)
-More time in the evening since I don't drink
-Better sleep (quit caffeine a year ago as well, highly recommended)
-No more lost weekend mornings due to hangovers
-No hangover induced bouts of depression
-Was already a pretty healthy weight but I look less bloated

Then again I don't know how I would've survived the dating world without it. My fiance and I went dancing on our first date. Can't imagine that now. :banana:

Pegoready
07-16-2020, 05:14 PM
I might be the only person in the world who quit but didn't lose that 10-20 lb. everyone talks about :confused: It has been about 4 months. I started as a quarantine project-- no socializing= no need for social lubricant, no bars, and no real desire to spend the extra $ at the grocery store when everything was so uncertain. I've replaced the beer habit with selzer water and haven't missed it. I can't imagine those days when I'd cap off a long work day with 2-3 beers.

Spoker
07-16-2020, 06:13 PM
I am with Baudelaire on this :

You have to be always drunk. That's all there is to it—it's the only way. So as not to feel the horrible burden of time that breaks your back and bends you to the earth, you have to be continually drunk.

But on what? Wine, poetry or virtue, as you wish. But be drunk.

And if sometimes, on the steps of a palace or the green grass of a ditch, in the mournful solitude of your room, you wake again, drunkenness already diminishing or gone, ask the wind, the wave, the star, the bird, the clock, everything that is flying, everything that is groaning, everything that is rolling, everything that is singing, everything that is speaking. . .ask what time it is and wind, wave, star, bird, clock will answer you: "It is time to be drunk! So as not to be the martyred slaves of time, be drunk, be continually drunk! On wine, on poetry or on virtue as you wish.

ridethecliche
07-16-2020, 10:24 PM
Been on blood thinners(Eliquis)since Jan 2016 for a PE(pulmonary embolism), really no big deal plus it's an automatic if you get afib. :)

You'd think it was automatic but some folks are scared of them. We had one guy have a reputation for coming to the ED every so often in afib with rvr to get shocked and cardioverted.

He was back once every so often.

Probably isn't what I would do but everyone has their reasons I guess?

ridethecliche
07-16-2020, 10:31 PM
Withdrawal was no joke, that is for sure. I heard voices.

Um that's delirium tremens.

Just for everyone doing this. Stoked you're looking for help but do not quit cold turkey as you can die from alcohol withdrawal. Just talk to your doctor about doing this properly if you have a history of heavy drinking.

It's a depressant and your brain gets super activated when youre in full out withdrawal. Alcohol withdrawal seizures kill people. I've seen patients go to the icu for sedation while they go through medically assisted withdrawal because of how quickly things go south.

Congrats to you all. It's a hard as hell habit to kick.

soupless
07-17-2020, 12:52 AM
Another vote for Annie Grace's book, even if you're not looking to quit drinking altogether.

I had probably quit for about two years when I got it, and thankfully wasn't struggling physically with not drinking. But I was struggling with being OK with it. Kept assuming I was missing out on so much fun.

Then I read the book, and did the liminal thinking exercises, and found it helped a lot. You don't often get objective writing on the harms of alcohol--physical and mental--with such a non-preachy vibe. If one part of me is like "I'd be having more fun if I were drunk rn" there's now another voice that says "probably not, and you know why, so you're better off" and then things are a little cooler.

Reddit's r/stopdrinking is also good.

oldpotatoe
07-17-2020, 06:31 AM
I might be the only person in the world who quit but didn't lose that 10-20 lb. everyone talks about :confused: It has been about 4 months. I started as a quarantine project-- no socializing= no need for social lubricant, no bars, and no real desire to spend the extra $ at the grocery store when everything was so uncertain. I've replaced the beer habit with selzer water and haven't missed it. I can't imagine those days when I'd cap off a long work day with 2-3 beers.

Nope, I didn't either..:eek:I drink a lot of bubbly water as well but I do 'miss' it..

And for right below, there's nothing wrong with that. Unless 'gonna have a beer' becomes a problem but many people are 'addicted' to many things..I was 'addicted' to running in the 70s..early 80s..withdrawal and all, some are addicted to riding a bike...BUT alcohol is SO prevalent, such a YUGE part of society, people that may have an issue with it are bombarded from all sides, all the time....BUT 'having a beer' is no big deal to most.

JONATHANPATTIE
07-17-2020, 06:27 PM
I'm gonna drink a beer to celebrate.

Columbus SLX
07-20-2020, 09:21 PM
Nope, I didn't either..:eek:I drink a lot of bubbly water as well but I do 'miss' it..

And for right below, there's nothing wrong with that. Unless 'gonna have a beer' becomes a problem but many people are 'addicted' to many things..I was 'addicted' to running in the 70s..early 80s..withdrawal and all, some are addicted to riding a bike...BUT alcohol is SO prevalent, such a YUGE part of society, people that may have an issue with it are bombarded from all sides, all the time....BUT 'having a beer' is no big deal to most.

Peter, I’ve especially appreciated all of your contributions to this thread because a few back, I started experiencing heart arrhythmia after a drink or two. It got noticeable enough around thanksgiving that I went through a battery of tests, wearing an onboard monitor, all that. I am lucky in that mine is a “benign palpitation” and not AFib, but there’s almost a 1:1 relationship between alcohol and heart fluttering. I do miss a good glass of red or a pint of hop devil with the crew after a ride, but it’s a minor sacrifice to feel better. Side note: those beta blockers kinda messed my head up when I tried them, so I just set em aside and refrain from drinking now.

And to everyone sharing your stories of sobriety here, your strength is inspirational.

kohagen
07-28-2020, 12:52 PM
I had my last drink 24 years ago this month. Early on, I found reading books by people who had gone through the same thing, or who could provide sound advice about how to do it, to be very helpful.

If anyone would like any of these books, which I thought were good, PM me with your address and I'll get it/them out to you.

The Zen of Recovery - Mel Ash
Lit - Mary Karr
The Liars' Club - Mary Karr
Drinking, A Love Story - Caroline Knapp
The Recovery Book - Al Mooney, Arlene Eisenberg, Howard Eisenberg

DeBike
07-28-2020, 01:56 PM
I always open this thread when I see a new post. I am alcohol free since March 15th, 2015. Thanks to all who have participated in some way, whether it is your experience, words of support/understanding, or info on things to read regarding this particular subject. Whatever the reason, know that it is appreciated.

Alstra
02-03-2021, 08:15 AM
That's always great to see. My cousin is in a tough situation right now due to alcohol addiction and these messages are inspiring for sure. I also had instances what I was into alcohol back in my youth, but I was never over doing it the way he has been. Every time I try to talk to him about it he's completely denying me saying that there's nothing wrong with him. From what I can see he's just a functional alcoholic but if he keeps drinking a bottle of hard liquor a day he will end up with some serious health issues and I wouldn't want him to reach that point. This is one of the reasons I researched promis.co.uk (https://promis.co.uk/) and found out how they can treat his condition without making it a painful procedure.

Clean39T
02-03-2021, 08:44 AM
It's been around 6-7 weeks since I decided to take a break again. I've found two beverages that supplant my sit-n-sip desire for real beer: https://athleticbrewing.com/collections/beer and https://hoptea.com/. Worth a shot if you want to cut back on the calories and negative impacts of alcohol but still like the flavor of hops and drinking something special.

shoota
02-03-2021, 08:52 AM
It's been around 6-7 weeks since I decided to take a break again. I've found two beverages that supplant my sit-n-sip desire for real beer: https://athleticbrewing.com/collections/beer and https://hoptea.com/. Worth a shot if you want to cut back on the calories and negative impacts of alcohol but still like the flavor of hops and drinking something special.

I've been intrigued by the Athletic Brewing offerings, but then the price scares me away. Do you just order straight from them online?

fiamme red
02-03-2021, 08:54 AM
That's always great to see. My cousin is in a tough situation right now due to alcohol addiction and these messages are inspiring for sure.You bumped up this old thread just to say that? Are you trying to get your post count up, or what? :confused:

I haven't had any hard liquor since the pandemic began. It's better for my mental and physical health. I do occasionally have a bottle of beer or a glass of wine.

rallizes
02-03-2021, 08:59 AM
You bumped up this old thread just to say that? Are you trying to get your post count up, or what? :confused:

I haven't had any hard liquor since the pandemic began. It's better for my mental and physical health. I do occasionally have a bottle of beer or a glass of wine.

uncalled for IMO

shoota
02-03-2021, 09:00 AM
Completely uncalled for.

fiamme red
02-03-2021, 09:02 AM
uncalled for IMONo, it's not uncalled for. If you look at Alstra's other posts, you'll see that he or she (or it) is a spammer, e.g.:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=2870255&postcount=9

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=2862809&postcount=25

shoota
02-03-2021, 09:15 AM
No, it's not uncalled for. If you look at Alstra's other posts, you'll see that he or she (or it) is a spammer, e.g.:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=2870255&postcount=9

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=2862809&postcount=25

Looks like you may be on to something. What a weird spammer though.

Clean39T
02-03-2021, 09:17 AM
I've been intrigued by the Athletic Brewing offerings, but then the price scares me away. Do you just order straight from them online?I did. Yes, it's $12.99/sixxer, but I'm not putting away 4-5 of them a night. Just a few a week and compared to what I'd spend on wine or local IPA, that's pretty cheap. The stout is my favorite so far - tastes the most real - but I wish they'd do a nitro version.

fiamme red
02-03-2021, 09:19 AM
Looks like you may be on to something. What a weird spammer though.I don't get it either. Why would the same person post links to a cosmetic dentist in Ohio and a mortgage broker in England? And why edit posts days after they are made, presumably to add those links?

shoota
02-03-2021, 09:28 AM
I did. Yes, it's $12.99/sixxer, but I'm not putting away 4-5 of them a night. Just a few a week and compared to what I'd spend on wine or local IPA, that's pretty cheap. The stout is my favorite so far - tastes the most real - but I wish they'd do a nitro version.

Awesome, i just order a six pack of IPA and one of Golden Ale. Looking forward to trying them!

I don't get it either. Why would the same person post links to a cosmetic dentist in Ohio and a mortgage broker in England? And why edit posts days after they are made, presumably to add those links?

Yeah super strange. It doesn't make sense at all. Apologies for my earlier post, someone should keep an eye on this person just in case.

54ny77
02-03-2021, 09:40 AM
You mean when you're sitting at your desk perusing Isle of Man RE listings on zillow, you don't suddenly wonder what would you do if you needed a crown replacement when passing thru Cleveland? Makes total sense.

I don't get it either. Why would the same person post links to a cosmetic dentist in Ohio and a mortgage broker in England? And why edit posts days after they are made, presumably to add those links?

charliedid
02-03-2021, 09:43 AM

Paid per click or gets you to give an email?

Who knows.

Good call though.

srider
02-03-2021, 09:57 AM
I did. Yes, it's $12.99/sixxer, but I'm not putting away 4-5 of them a night. Just a few a week and compared to what I'd spend on wine or local IPA, that's pretty cheap. The stout is my favorite so far - tastes the most real - but I wish they'd do a nitro version.

I've been buying Athletic's beer direct too, free shipping helps but they've also really improved their grocery store distribution recently so you may be able to find locally now (I can). I'm more of an IPA guy and their N/A brews are the best I've found so far. The single hop releases sell out quick tho.

robt57
02-03-2021, 10:22 AM
Talking about buying beer in basically a sobriety thread, well OK then...

fiamme red
02-03-2021, 10:27 AM
Talking about buying beer in basically a sobriety thread, well OK then...I believe they're talking about non-alcoholic beer. Which reminds me that I loved the Buckler team jerseys and bikes, but I never drank the stuff. :)

https://www.velouk.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Dave-Rayner-Buckler-web.jpg

srider
02-03-2021, 10:30 AM
Talking about buying beer in basically a sobriety thread, well OK then...

definitely non-alcoholic (N/A), sorry for any confusion.

pbarry
02-03-2021, 10:34 AM
This is a new offering made by a local craft brewer in Longmont. Full flavored NA (.5%), IPA. Incredible flavor, not the usual NA watered down IPA that I’ve tried too many of. https://bootstrapbrewing.square.site/

shinomaster
02-03-2021, 11:24 AM
this stuff is good, I should drink more of it and less of the real stuff https://www.clausthaler.com/brew/#family-dryhopped

soupless
02-03-2021, 11:44 AM
Agreed Shinomaster ^^ that is tasty.

Thanks for posting that Bootstrap @pbarry. I've tried a few NA IPAs (it's funny to even type that) and haven't found a brand that I really liked. Maybe this will be the one...

Does anyone mess around with bitters and soda or similar?

barnabyjones
02-03-2021, 12:02 PM
I finally gave up on bars reopening locally in Nov so I went out and bought my favorite top shelf ($75 plus bottles) bourbons, single malts, gins and mezcals. After a few days of drinking like a king, I realized that the labor involved in making a cocktail was actually inhibiting my consumption, ie, I'm lazy. I also began to drink less because I was so focused on spirits that I stopped buying beer. Conclusion, I drink more when I don't have alcohol in the house. Oh, I've lost 15 pounds since November.

2metalhips
02-03-2021, 02:40 PM
Athletic Brewing NA beer is very good, recommended. They donate 2% of sales to local trails. The Run Wild IPA is my favorite so far but I've only tried 3 of the styles.

srider
02-03-2021, 03:44 PM
Athletic Brewing NA beer is very good, recommended. They donate 2% of sales to local trails. The Run Wild IPA is my favorite so far but I've only tried 3 of the styles.

Try the Free Wave Double IPA (NA) if you get a chance!

2metalhips
02-03-2021, 05:21 PM
Try the Free Wave Double IPA (NA) if you get a chance!

Will do!