PDA

View Full Version : Value of Dura Ace AX group?

oliver1850
12-11-2019, 04:54 PM
Looking at a bike that has AX, appears to be mostly complete: crank, pedals, shifters, derailleurs, brakes. Not sure about the hubs, stem, and headset - seat post is not AX. Parts look nice but I am waiting on close up photos. Anyone have an idea what the group would be worth in relatively nice condition?

zmudshark
12-11-2019, 05:17 PM
Looking at a bike that has AX, appears to be mostly complete: crank, pedals, shifters, derailleurs, brakes. Not sure about the hubs, stem, and headset - seat post is not AX. Parts look nice but I am waiting on close up photos. Anyone have an idea what the group would be worth in relatively nice condition?In VG condition, it is worth some decent coin.

I sold a complete group and spare parts for what was good money 10 years ago or so. I think around $600 with wheels.

I had owned it since new and had put a lot of miles on it. It's worth way more now. I had pedal adapters, spare hoods and brake blocks, all sorts of stuff.

Condition is everything, and the market seems soft for a lot of stuff. NOS is crazy expensive. Used, not so much, but still worth something.

Hilltopperny
12-11-2019, 05:23 PM
I sold a Lotus Super Pro Aero with complete AX group on here a few years ago for $1,000. The group and bike were practically new and it had the complete AX group/wheels/pedals/seat post/stem. People ask ridiculous prices for the stuff IMHO, but I am not sure that it actually sells for much of a premium these days. Very cool stuff though and rare to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mistermo
12-11-2019, 05:25 PM
whatever the ebay market says it's worth.

oliver1850
12-11-2019, 07:22 PM
Hard to judge by ebay sometimes. There was a rear derailleur with road rash that sold recently for $145, and a better looking one that sold for $45. I don't know if someone didn't know the value of AX and listed it for a way too cheap buy it now or if $45 is realistic and someone made a huge mistake on the scuffed one.

Thanks for the replies.

zmudshark
12-11-2019, 07:35 PM
Curious what frame this stuff is on. If you don't want to publicly post, I understand.

oliver1850
12-12-2019, 02:04 AM
I sold a Lotus Super Pro Aero with complete AX group on here a few years ago for $1,000. The group and bike were practically new and it had the complete AX group/wheels/pedals/seat post/stem. People ask ridiculous prices for the stuff IMHO, but I am not sure that it actually sells for much of a premium these days. Very cool stuff though and rare to see.

I'm guessing the buyer was pretty happy witht that deal. The group seems to be popular with people who focus on Japanese frames. Leafing through the book "Japanese Steel" you might come to the conclusion that most every good road bike from the period was AX equipped. More likely, a good number of the bikes in the book are owned by one or two guys who value the parts more than most other folks.

oliver1850
12-12-2019, 02:08 AM
Curious what frame this stuff is on. If you don't want to publicly post, I understand.

Don't want to get too specific but it's a European frame with Columbus tubing, not one of the big name brands.

Hilltopperny
12-12-2019, 02:13 AM
I'm guessing the buyer was pretty happy witht that deal. The group seems to be popular with people who focus on Japanese frames. Leafing through the book "Japanese Steel" you might come to the conclusion that most every good road bike from the period was AX equipped. More likely, a good number of the bikes in the book are owned by one or two guys who value the parts more than most other folks.

I am pretty sure he was. The AX stuff is very cool both in function and looks IMO. The Super Pro Aero was also a rare and cool vintage bike.

zmudshark
12-12-2019, 05:06 PM
I found that I had an album of my old Cinelli with AX on it. Swapped out the derailleurs because of the crazy cable routing required.

The parts were originally on a Panasonic AR-6000 that was totaled when I was almost killed by a really crappy driver in a car. He got an entire paceline. The Cinelli was my insurance payout.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mp3ZHDhPk5tfV64FA

PS---Alexi Grewal won the 1984 Olympic road race riding AX.

oliver1850
12-13-2019, 01:53 AM
I found that I had an album of my old Cinelli with AX on it. Swapped out the derailleurs because of the crazy cable routing required.

The parts were originally on a Panasonic AR-6000 that was totaled when I was almost killed by a really crappy driver in a car. He got an entire paceline. The Cinelli was my insurance payout.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mp3ZHDhPk5tfV64FA

PS---Alexi Grewal won the 1984 Olympic road race riding AX.

The Cinelli is a beauty. What happened to it?

What was different about the routing, Panasonic vs. Cinelli? I assume that the Panasonic had something specific for AX, but would be interested to know the details.

Nice bit of info on Alexi. I would have guessed NR.

ultraman6970
12-13-2019, 05:27 AM
The AX rd uses like a metal cable guide if i remember well, if the cable boss is at the wrong side of the chainstay you can't use the RD.

Correction, you could use it but the bend is weird... the cinelli has the boss at the bottom... wont be that confortable to use the rd, but IMO (for the record never had one of this ok?) probably putting casing you could re route from the bottom to the metal loop thingy, but anyways....

ps: if you buy the bike I think i have a couple of sets of the cleats for those pedals.

ultraman6970
12-13-2019, 05:38 AM
http://velobase.com/CompImages/RDerailleur/05241483-14A7-44C9-8B4F-5CBEF7B2C271.jpeg

zmudshark
12-13-2019, 08:23 AM
The Cinelli is a beauty. What happened to it?

What was different about the routing, Panasonic vs. Cinelli? I assume that the Panasonic had something specific for AX, but would be interested to know the details.

Nice bit of info on Alexi. I would have guessed NR.I still have the Cinelli, though it has been repainted. The AX required over the BB routing for the RD, and a special boss for the FD.

oldpotatoe
12-13-2019, 08:27 AM
Looking at a bike that has AX, appears to be mostly complete: crank, pedals, shifters, derailleurs, brakes. Not sure about the hubs, stem, and headset - seat post is not AX. Parts look nice but I am waiting on close up photos. Anyone have an idea what the group would be worth in relatively nice condition?

See you have the pedals..do you have the inserts for the crank to use more 'standard pedals?