PDA

View Full Version : Ride the Rockies vs. Bicycle Tour of CO.

scrooge
01-01-2007, 03:52 PM
Anyone know how these two rides compare? Looking over the websites, it seems that RTR would show off more of Co while BToC would be in a more contained area. Is this correct, or is my geography messed up? Also, a big difference would be the lottery vs. first come first serve.
On a different note, what kind of gearing should a former flatlander (who's a descent but certainly not fantastic cyclist) have for these sorts of rides?

Dave
01-01-2007, 06:04 PM
BTC is obviously a southern route. Both have the same mileage. BTC has 18,400' of climbing. RTR doesn't list the amount of climbing per day, as far as I can see.

http://www.ridetherockies.com/default.asp?page=route

http://www.bicycletourcolorado.com/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=41

Asking for a gearing opinion is risky. Depends greatly on your age, abilities and willingness to suffer. I moved to Colorado in 2003 (at age 50) and pretty much knew a triple was the smart way to go, so I built one up before I moved. I use a 53/39/28 with a 12-25 (10 speed) that gives me four extra low gears, the lowest equivalent to a 39/35. For a tour where I'm unlikely to care about descending speed, I'd probably throw on a 13-29 so I could handle anything. FWIW, I'm not a real slouch at climbing, having done the 28 mile route of the Bob Cook Memorial Mt. Evans Hillclimb (Idaho Springs to top of Mt. Evans) in 2:35. Better riders in the low 50's age range can do around 2:20. Next year, I hope to reduce my time, but I found that the only way for me to do it is to pedal standing about 50% of the time. The little ring then only gets used when I'm pedaling seated. It's certainly not how I'd ride a lengthy tour.

http://www.bicyclerace.com/about.htm

Long days with lots of climbing and little rest time will increase the need for low gearing, so you can sit and spin rather the pedal standing. The altitude is also a factor. Some people fare better than others, but the first few weeks after I started riding in the mountains, it didn't take much of a slope to get my heart rate near the max. Full acclimation actually takes about 6 weeks.

Someone is bound to mention famous pro riders of years ago who rode the (much lower altitude) mountains of the TDF with a 42/21 low gear, so that should be all you need.

John Price
01-01-2007, 06:08 PM
While I've not ridden RTR I have done 2 BToCs so my opinion is a bit one sided perhaps. However I do have a friend who has ridden RTR and we've compared notes.

A few things...

1 - Like you say, RTR is a lottery. Purely luck of the draw to get in. I tried in 2004 but didn't win the lottery, so instead I signed up for BToC and didn't regret one minute of it. A lot of people sign up for RTR and don't get in.

2 - Depending on what and how you pack keep in mind, the last time I looked anyway, that RTR allows you one bag weighing up to 40lbs. BToC allows 2 bags each up to 40lbs. I'm not the lightest packer, so that was a good thing.

3 - BToC in the two years I signed up (2004 and 2006) didn't fill up to its quota. Comparing notes with my buddy who rode RTR, we had much shorter lines for the port-a-jons and rest stations. Much less waiting. And, according to him anyway, we had better aid station food (pastries, fruit, pretzels, peanut butter and bagels, cookies, energy bars, water, energy drink...).

4 - BToC volunteers are wonderful. (I'm guessing RTR's are too but no experience with them) In 2006 I needed their help when I developed tendonitis on the 2nd day and they were simply great. Went out of their way to help me.

In both 2004 and 2006 RTR and BToC had similar (but not the same) routes. Both like to take you up and over some challenging mountain passes during the week you tour. For gearing I'd recommend a good triple setup - my low gear which I did in fact use, perhaps I'm a bit of a lightweight though, was a 26x27. Granted I did see many riders stronger than me doing the ride with more "racing inspired" gearing but I figure its better to have the gearing there just in case, even if you don't need it. Some of Colorado's passes are long, long climbs. And after a week's worth of riding it can be quite nice to have a bail out gear on a day you're feeling tired.

Also, I was amazed at how much trouble people were having with their bikes. The mechanics at the overnight stops and the aid stations were always busy fixing bikes. Heard a lot had to do with people riding some pretty fragile equipment. I'd suggest keeping any super fancy wheelsets at home. Ride something reliable and proven.

Most importantly, sign up with one or the other and have FUN. You'll see spectacular scenery, you'll ride some amazing mountain roads (we did Trail Ridge Road in 2004, tops out at over 11,000ft). You meet some neat people. It's a great way to spend a week.

I'll be there in 2007 at the the BToC.

John Price
Aurora CO

konstantkarma
01-01-2007, 10:04 PM
Scrooge,

Although I haven't ridden either of those supported rides, I did put together my own tour from Glenwood Springs to Creede, CO, followed by the Copper Triangle last summer. I live in Maryland, and did a fair amount of hill riding here before heading out west. I acclimated in Denver by riding Lookout Mountain, and Golden Gate Canyon before heading to the high country. I switched to a compact crank (50/36) and kept my standard 12/25 freewheel. This combination was fine for getting me over all of the mountain passes, and steep grades in between. The only places I wished I had another lower gear was when the grades exceeded about 12%, which was pretty rare. Of course, a triple gives you the most options, but a compact is a less expensive, and adds less weight. Hope this helps.

Carl

93legendti
01-01-2007, 11:06 PM
Anyone know how these two rides compare? Looking over the websites, it seems that RTR would show off more of Co while BToC would be in a more contained area. Is this correct, or is my geography messed up? Also, a big difference would be the lottery vs. first come first serve.
On a different note, what kind of gearing should a former flatlander (who's a descent but certainly not fantastic cyclist) have for these sorts of rides?
I did 2 or 3 BToC's -- the last one in 2000. My lowest gear was 39 x 27 and it was fine--but I am a smaller guy. So it does depend upon your size/weight. When my wife (5'7" and 130 lbs) and I went to Tuscany/Umbria after she was only in her 2nd season of biking, I put a mtn rear der. on her bike and gave her a 12-32 cogset and she did fine. She had the same setup the next year when we did Napa/Sonoma and it worked well for her.

I agree with the comments about the BToC--every one was fantastic.

chuckred
01-02-2007, 03:10 PM
I did Ride the Rockies the year it got snowed out and had to bus around Trail Ridge Road.

Can't speak to BTC... RTR was well organized, a good bunch of people and a lot of fun. That year there were essentially 3 100 mile day rides...

I've heard from some that BTC is a bit better in terms of food and perhaps a bit more "plush", but I certainly had no complaints (other than weather) from RTR and would recommend it in a heart beat. I guess I'd wait to see what they publish for the '07 route and pick whichever one appeals to you more.

Re: gearing - I use a 53/39 26x13... I spin out getting close to 40, but I'm not all that comfortable going much faster than that anyway. I don't have need for much lower too often...

tys
02-03-2007, 10:33 PM

My observations:
RTR is more well organized.
RTR has much more staff and more support cars.
Many of the BTC staff were rather rude and unhelpful or at least made it clear that you were putting them out by asking for help.
RTR staff is amazing with very few exceptions.
BTC has much better rest stops, but fewer of them.
BTC always has a "rest day" RTR rarely does.
BTC is usually (always?) a loop, which is handy for logistics.
RTR is cheaper.
BTC lets you sign up on the day of the ride if you want.
BTC has one shower truck, RTR has two. (BTC=longer lines)
BTC allows you more luggage and will also let you drop excess clothing at the first stop, which is nice.
BTC hassles you more about taking a sag if you're at the back of the group, and closes rest stops with many riders still on the road.

The mileage, variety of terrain, and amount of climbing are pretty much the same. They use many of the same routes, but BTC will often stop over in smaller towns than RTR (which I like).
They are really quite similar on the whole, but I prefer RTR.
You can always ride both! (I'm considering it) RTR is one week earlier.

colodale
02-03-2007, 11:00 PM
Over the years I've done RTR 8 times, Pedal the Peaks 3 times, and last year did the BToC. As noted, RTR and BToC are quite similar in size and distances covered. Between RTR and BToC I would choose the BToC for better food at rest stops, the use of two bags, the loop route, and no lottery. Twice I signed up for RTR and didn't make it in. You could still sign up for BToC if you didn't get in to RTR. Both rides are much larger than I prefer as both are in the 2000+ range. Get used to standing in lines. My favorite is Pedal the Peaks, but they didn't organize a ride last year and they aren't doing one again this year.

The route for RTR for 2007 will be announced tomorrow. One downside to BToC this year is the off day in Copper Mountain. There aren't many resteraunts there operating during the summer, and there's not many places to go. Otherwise it looks like a good route.

mwos
02-04-2007, 09:36 AM
Frisco to Frisco this year. The Summit County Daily News said they are expecting more signups because its a loop and does not involve the bus ride.

Kathi

mwos
02-04-2007, 09:43 AM
Staying at Copper on the BTC, an option for restaurants is an easy ride to Frisco on the bike path or take the Summit Stage. It's free and runs between Copper, Frisco and Breck.

Kathi

Johnnyg
02-04-2007, 09:48 AM
Scrooge, read all of the above threads for they say all their is to say about both rides. I did BCT last year and had a wonderful experience. The bigest thing for me was the altitude factor coming from sea level in Maine! I really felt the lact of oxygen. Being from Denver this shouldn't be a problem for you. The only way you can go wrong is not doing one of the rides as they are both epic. Best of luck and ride safely. JohnnyG

97CSI
02-04-2007, 09:52 AM
Surprising how similar the routes are this year. Have done three (3) BTC rides and thought all were excellent. Especially the last one I went on in '04. If you do the BTC, then recommend you do breakfast and lunch and do dinner on your own. Sherpa service is very nice (although we had our own SAG, so did not need). Do not go out more than one day early. It takes about a week to reach the worst that you will feel in the altitude. Then you spend about a week at the bottom before feeling better. My first BTC was very tough. Went out a week early and suffered accordingly. On the next two I got there the day before the ride began. Felt much better for the length of the ride. Either one will go through some stunning country and be great fun. For me, there is no greater fun/thrill in riding then rocking down the backside of an 11K high pass at 50mph. A triple and big cassette (28) makes life much easier. Unless it embarrasses your macho factor. :D

tys
02-04-2007, 10:50 AM
Surprising how similar the routes are this year
I heard a rumor that last year BTC had a record number of riders and that RTR didn't quite fill up. No idea if that's true, but it might explain why RTR is doing a loop this year. A lot of folks prefer BTC because of the Loop feature.
They are rather similar routes this year. RTR will have a larger variety of scenery and terrain. I'm happy to see Independence Pass (highest paved pass in the US, I believe) on the route again finally, but there are too many easy days on RTR this year, IMO. I would prefer to combine Days 4 and 5 and have a rest day in Aspen.
Logistically, it would be a good year to do BOTH rides. Just drive From Frisco to Steamboat after the RTR finish, or better yet ride from Fisco to Walden on the 24th meeting up with BTC en route!

mwos
02-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Last year my SO's number on RTR was around 2100. I heard that the organizers know approximately how many cancellations they will have so they go over the 2,000 mark rather than doing a wait list.

Kathi