PDA

View Full Version : Campy groupset purchase: UK vs US retailer

cgolvin
12-10-2019, 05:01 PM
I am about to buy a Campy Chorus 12 groupset. I have two possible sources:

UK (Merlin): $882, no tax, free shipping, duty?
US: $925, no tax, $25 shipping

I'd rather give my business to the smaller US shop, plus from what I've heard I think I'm on better ground should there be warranty issues. OTOH, $68 ain't nothing. So I have two questions:

1. Will I have to pay duty? (The US Customs site seems to indicate no for <$1k, but isn't crystal clear)
2. Are there indeed warranty issues with buying Campy from an overseas retailer?

thanks

Clean39T
12-10-2019, 05:31 PM
I've been waiting for six weeks for a shipment from the UK...... First time I've ever had that happen, but it's changing my feeling about ordering from over there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Lanternrouge
12-10-2019, 05:36 PM
Campy North American doesn't really deal with consumers on warranty issues, so it's likely any warranty issues that arise will have to be addressed with the shop in the UK.

vincenz
12-10-2019, 05:40 PM
I’ve made many dozens of big orders from the UK online bike retailers over the last decade and was never once hit with duties. Just my data points.

tuscanyswe
12-10-2019, 05:46 PM
For that little difference i would order "locally"

prototoast
12-10-2019, 06:05 PM
I'd 100% buy from UK if it were under $800 and the same price differential. Over $800 and you could be hit with import duties/additional paperwork (which might explain Clean39t's holdup). It might be still worth it if the price differential were large enough, but in this case, I think there may be good reason to order from the US.

Clean39T
12-10-2019, 06:11 PM
I'd 100% buy from UK if it were under $800 and the same price differential. Over $800 and you could be hit with import duties/additional paperwork (which might explain Clean39t's holdup). It might be still worth it if the price differential were large enough, but in this case, I think there may be good reason to order from the US.Mine was well under $800, it just got lost..... I'm giving them one more day to sort it out before I contact my credit card company.

A DA9100 group on the other hand arrived in like three days w no duty or hassle - the one I got for my Firefly a couple months ago.

My priorities are changing though - last few bigger ticket items I've taken the hit to support the shops I want to see do well. Buying less, voting w dollars, etc.

jamesdak
12-10-2019, 06:28 PM
I'd pay close attention to what you are getting from the U.S. source. From my research they usually are short a few parts that you otherwise get from the U.K. sites and when you figure in the rest of the stuff you'll need the difference get's pretty significant.

I'd love to support U.S. sources but I've yet to find one competitive myself.

jamesdak
12-10-2019, 06:30 PM
I'd 100% buy from UK if it were under $800 and the same price differential. Over $800 and you could be hit with import duties/additional paperwork (which might explain Clean39t's holdup). It might be still worth it if the price differential were large enough, but in this case, I think there may be good reason to order from the US.

I must have several dozen orders from the European sites now in the past 10 years or so. Have never been hit with any duties or extra fees.

cgolvin
12-10-2019, 06:59 PM
I'd pay close attention to what you are getting from the U.S. source. From my research they usually are short a few parts that you otherwise get from the U.K. sites and when you figure in the rest of the stuff you'll need the difference get's pretty significant.

Thanks, I had the same thought and verified with both sources that the groupset includes the unlisted items (cables, housing, brake pads).

AngryScientist
12-10-2019, 07:19 PM
just be aware that right now is really a chaotic time to buy anything mail order, especially something high value that you want in a hurry.

more and more people are buying online, and with the holiday season in full rush, all of the shipping companies seem to be taxed way beyond their comfort zone and are in near disaster capacity level, from what i can see.

i've got a few things in the mail from various sources right now, and i've literally stopped watching the tracking info, it's like a damned circus.

OtayBW
12-10-2019, 07:34 PM
The Harmonized Tariff Schedule for bikes/bike parts is really variable. Check out the HTS #8210 - 8213 to see what you can dig up. If you do get dinged, often it depends on the carrier, and worst case, it will be ~10-15% (but not necessarily on all parts).

makoti
12-10-2019, 08:07 PM
Have you looked at Bike24? I got very nice prices on Campy stuff from them. Got here in a week (East coast)

zmalwo
12-10-2019, 08:26 PM
Merlin always has the lowest for everything. don't know how they do it.

zmalwo
12-10-2019, 08:29 PM
Thanks, I had the same thought and verified with both sources that the groupset includes the unlisted items (cables, housing, brake pads).

depends on your income but if you make more than $68 and hour after tax then I would say go ahead and go local. a $200ish profit for a local bike shop is like a day worth of work. Keep the money flow in the country! However $25 for shipping is kinda rip off.

mistermo
12-10-2019, 08:39 PM

mistermo
12-10-2019, 08:41 PM
I recently called Velomine. Their prices were cheaper than UK and they're in Illinois. Winner, winner, chicken dinner!! Glory Cycles was pretty close to the same and their customer service is better.

I’ve made many dozens of big orders from the UK online bike retailers over the last decade and was never once hit with duties. Just my data points.

And yes, count me among those who have been hit with import duties.

jamesdak
12-10-2019, 09:06 PM
I recently called Velomine. Their prices were cheaper than UK and they're in Illinois. Winner, winner, chicken dinner!! Glory Cycles was pretty close to the same and their customer service is better.

Velomine is a perfect example of what to watch out for. Look at their 12 speed Chorus Groupset. It's missing the BB and cassette you get from others. Once you add on those missing items it's $1140 with the shipping compared to $882 from Merlin with free shipping.

Not to slam Velomine because I do buy from them a good bit and Ben is a great guy. But they just can't match the U.K. vendors.

cgolvin
12-10-2019, 09:09 PM

Winner, winner, chicken dinner indeed — Velomine is the US seller I’m considering

Edit: I had thought that the group was complete but given the comment above from jamesdak I clearly need to double check. Thanks

jamesdak
12-10-2019, 09:17 PM
Honestly I don't mean to rain on Velomine's parade. I've gotten some cheap, great handbuilt wheels from them, other hard to find parts, and Ben has been great about finding stuff and even working on the prices sometimes. Nothing but respect for them as a business. I think it's just tariffs or whatever that keep the U.S. companies from being able to compete in the parts world. It's a shame.

mistermo
12-10-2019, 09:22 PM
In my case, I was looking for Super Record 12s fr/rr derailleur. They were cheaper than anything I found in UK. Glory was about $5 more, and roughly equivalent. Really, for what I was looking for, it would've been foolish to mess with UK, unless there's a source I wasn't aware of.

Merlin is $363 (pic attached) and Velomine was $305 vs these:

cgolvin
12-10-2019, 09:24 PM
Really appreciate you (@jamesdak) pointing out what I had obviously missed -- the prose says "you will need to pick your cassette and bottom bracket configuration" and I interpreted that to mean "pick among the options". It was only after your comment that I examined the picture to see what "8 items" were actually included.

Merlin gets my business, fingers crossed on duty and delivery as promised.

Thanks all, Paceline FTW as usual.

skiezo
12-11-2019, 05:57 AM
From what I see the 8 pcs. group is $925. That includes the cass. and BB.
I would go with VM for the small price difference.

Add to Cart
Model: Chorus 12 Mechanical 8 Piece
Shipping Weight: 7.0lbs
1 Units in Stock
https://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=86_162_258_593&products_id=5323&zenid=88mm3hi67sm08c454u87qdh5t4

oldpotatoe
12-11-2019, 06:15 AM
I am about to buy a Campy Chorus 12 groupset. I have two possible sources:

UK (Merlin): $882, no tax, free shipping, duty?
US: $925, no tax, $25 shipping

I'd rather give my business to the smaller US shop, plus from what I've heard I think I'm on better ground should there be warranty issues. OTOH, $68 ain't nothing. So I have two questions:

1. Will I have to pay duty? (The US Customs site seems to indicate no for <$1k, but isn't crystal clear)
2. Are there indeed warranty issues with buying Campy from an overseas retailer?

thanks

1. Not sure
2. yes, with some retailers..Caveat emptor..I'd go with the US reseller

oldpotatoe
12-11-2019, 06:16 AM
Campy North American doesn't really deal with consumers on warranty issues, so it's likely any warranty issues that arise will have to be addressed with the shop in the UK.

Ahh, they sure do, all the time. They are the main warranty center in the US. Even with UK MO and other MO places..

colker
12-11-2019, 06:22 AM
1. Not sure
2. yes, with some retailers..Caveat emptor..I'd go with the US reseller

If i were in the US i would buy from a US shop. Going out of my way to save $65? If i want Campy i want to empower their reps close to where i am because i reap benefits from their success.

peanutgallery
12-11-2019, 06:31 AM
Do they want to deal with consumers or shops:)

Thinking most LBS would just shrug when presented a warranty item

Ahh, they sure do, all the time. They are the main warranty center in the US. Even with UK MO and other MO places..

peanutgallery
12-11-2019, 06:33 AM
There you go, thank you

If i were in the US i would buy from a US shop. Going out of my way to save $65? If i want Campy i want to empower their reps close to where i am because i reap benefits from their success.

oldpotatoe
12-11-2019, 06:49 AM
Do they want to deal with consumers or shops:)

Thinking most LBS would just shrug when presented a warranty item

Campag NA 'talk' to consumers all the time but yes, a 'shop' gets the RA number and such. I can only speak to mine, my shop..If a guy brought in a Campag something(or shimano or even sram), even if he didn't buy it at my shop, yes, I would deal with it..called 'customer service'..Yes, he may not have been a customer of mine, but pretty sure he would be one in the future if you take care of them. PARTICULARLY when they may have bought that 'thing' from another local shop and they DO 'shrug'...Did a LOT of early gen sram lever warranties when the shop where he bought the bike said they had to send the whole bike back for warranty..I just sent the lever in..

BUT, I dealt with a lot of people who bought say, a set of Campag wheels from 'UK MO place', have a problem(broken spokes??)..and I facilitate the RA, call, shipping(their $), etc...

soulspinner
12-11-2019, 06:51 AM
for that little difference i would order "locally"

+1

jamesdak
12-11-2019, 07:23 AM
From what I see the 8 pcs. group is $925. That includes the cass. and BB.
I would go with VM for the small price difference.

Add to Cart
Model: Chorus 12 Mechanical 8 Piece
Shipping Weight: 7.0lbs
1 Units in Stock
https://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=86_162_258_593&products_id=5323&zenid=88mm3hi67sm08c454u87qdh5t4

Ah, didn't see that last night. That is comparible and would make me think about it and most likely go that way. That is if you need 12 speeds. I honestly turn just as fast times on my 8 speed setups as I do my 11 speeds. Not sure what's to be gained with yet another gear for my riding ability. At what point does durability and reliability suffer for the tighter and tighter tolerances?

Clean39T
12-11-2019, 08:49 AM
Ah, didn't see that last night. That is comparible and would make me think about it and most likely go that way. That is if you need 12 speeds. I honestly turn just as fast times on my 8 speed setups as I do my 11 speeds. Not sure what's to be gained with yet another gear for my riding ability. At what point does durability and reliability suffer for the tighter and tighter tolerances?

Wider range of gears without as big of a jump and improved ergonomics, otherwise, totally agree.

Dave
12-11-2019, 09:07 AM
I'd go with velomine since the price difference isn't that great and shipping should be more reliable. The 8 piece group is $925.

Some people may not benefit much from 12 speed if the terrain they ride doesn't include steep climbs. I got it because I really needed the 48/32 and 11-34. No regrets. It all works great. The new cables solved the cable friction problem I was having with my Colnago C-RS.

jamesdak
12-11-2019, 09:15 AM
I'd go with velomine since the price difference isn't that great and shipping should be more reliable. The 8 piece group is $925.

Some people may not benefit much from 12 speed if the terrain they ride doesn't include steep climbs. I got it because I really needed the 48/32 and 11-34. No regrets. It all works great. The new cables solved the cable friction problem I was having with my Colnago C-RS.

Most of my shopping from Europe is either Merlin or PBK. Merlin will have the product in my house from 3-5 days. PBK is normally weeks. Just sharing that. Merlin is normally faster than Velomine, Jenson's etc unless I pay for expediated shipping. I don't know how Merlin does it.

In this case though I'd go with Velomine too. The price is close enough and Ben has earned my support with his past actions when the difference isn't too great.

duff_duffy
12-11-2019, 09:24 AM
+1 for Velomine. Great company, great service and prices.

CSKeller
12-11-2019, 09:36 AM
Velomine or PinkJersey.
I bought my Record 12 groupset from them. They were super fast, excellent communication, good prices and in the U.S.

peanutgallery
12-11-2019, 09:41 AM
If the product in question was purchased domestically thru a shop or whatever, we take care of them and develop a new customer. They pay shipping, etc. In this situation, some places can really hassle customers and I don't get it

If the product in question is obviously sourced overseas or from an online, cut rate place - I think it gets sticky for a retailer. On the one hand you have the opportunity to show that customer everything that Jeff Bezos is incapable of providing a customer. On the other, you just encourage the consumer's behavior...and even add a little value. They can go cut rate and still have some support when needed when they encounter some trouble

Tough call, and bike margins (other than service) are thin

Campag NA 'talk' to consumers all the time but yes, a 'shop' gets the RA number and such. I can only speak to mine, my shop..If a guy brought in a Campag something(or shimano or even sram), even if he didn't buy it at my shop, yes, I would deal with it..called 'customer service'..Yes, he may not have been a customer of mine, but pretty sure he would be one in the future if you take care of them. PARTICULARLY when they may have bought that 'thing' from another local shop and they DO 'shrug'...Did a LOT of early gen sram lever warranties when the shop where he bought the bike said they had to send the whole bike back for warranty..I just sent the lever in..

BUT, I dealt with a lot of people who bought say, a set of Campag wheels from 'UK MO place', have a problem(broken spokes??)..and I facilitate the RA, call, shipping(their $), etc...

cgolvin
12-11-2019, 11:19 AM
I remain confused about what Velomine is actually selling. The SKU is "8 piece", the picture below is named something like "6 piece" but does not show the cassette or BB cups…I probably should have emailed or called them for clarification but I just went with Merlin. Oh well.

Regarding 12 speed -- I don't care at all about the extra gear, I want the 48/32 and 11-32.

Dave
12-11-2019, 11:29 AM
The website clearly states that the 8 piece group includes the cassette and BB cups. You just have to tell them what you want for crank length and chainrings, plus the sprockets and cups. You must have to do that part at checkout, since there are no options, when the group is added to your cart.

https://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=86_162_258_593&products_id=5323&zenid=jkiuted2111jd5l283037o1ni4

AngryScientist
12-11-2019, 11:31 AM
just to add: i've bought a bunch of gear from velomine over the years, including a really nice carbon frame several years ago.

their website leaves a bit to be desired, but have always found that calling them is really easy and they are really helpful over the phone.

colker
12-11-2019, 11:53 AM
I remain confused about what Velomine is actually selling. The SKU is "8 piece", the picture below is named something like "6 piece" but does not show the cassette or BB cups…I probably should have emailed or called them for clarification but I just went with Merlin. Oh well.

Regarding 12 speed -- I don't care at all about the extra gear, I want the 48/32 and 11-32.

That´s one good looking group there.

donevwil
12-11-2019, 01:08 PM
Chorus 12 with 48-32 and 11-34 would indeed solve all my wife's gearing challenges I've been battling for over a year running C10. < $1k is surprisingly affordable. I'm staying C10, but this may be the perfect birthday present for her (or is that like buying her a bowling ball or carpet shampooer?).

robertbb
12-11-2019, 09:05 PM
Chorus 12 with 48-32 and 11-34 would indeed solve all my wife's gearing challenges I've been battling for over a year running C10. < $1k is surprisingly affordable. I'm staying C10, but this may be the perfect birthday present for her (or is that like buying her a bowling ball or carpet shampooer?).

Only if the gruppo you buy her has your own name engraved on it...

seedster2
12-11-2019, 09:37 PM
For such a small difference in price, i would give Ben my business. Fast shipping and great to deal with for any request. He's my campy go to guy.

donevwil
12-11-2019, 09:57 PM
Only if the gruppo you buy her has your own name engraved on it...... and I know people who do that. Nice seed planting robertbb. Great idea!

Sent from my LM-X410UM using Tapatalk

ernmony
12-12-2019, 06:26 PM
Winner, winner, chicken dinner indeed — Velomine is the US seller I’m considering

Edit: I had thought that the group was complete but given the comment above from jamesdak I clearly need to double check. Thanks

They also sell via eBay with "make an offer" option but it's best to call them directly to get better deal.

acorn_user
01-11-2020, 07:11 PM
I ended up buying one of these groups and I'm installing it now. Velomine's service was pretty good. Glad I did it! The group looks fantastic in the flesh.

Not pleased with the manuals Campagnolo supplied though. There's barely any information about doing the installations, and the video tutorial doesn't make up for it atmo.

Also managed to put a kink into my derailleur cable. Anyone seen spares online? Le sigh :/

oldpotatoe
01-12-2020, 06:14 AM
I ended up buying one of these groups and I'm installing it now. Velomine's service was pretty good. Glad I did it! The group looks fantastic in the flesh.

Not pleased with the manuals Campagnolo supplied though. There's barely any information about doing the installations, and the video tutorial doesn't make up for it atmo.

Also managed to put a kink into my derailleur cable. Anyone seen spares online? Le sigh :/

Jagwire 1.1mm, slick stainless with 'proper' end is easy to find at a decent LBS....not made by Italian elves or anything...

fmradio516
01-12-2020, 06:33 AM
Jagwire 1.1mm, slick stainless with 'proper' end is easy to find at a decent LBS....not made by Italian elves or anything...

:beer:

Dave
01-12-2020, 08:27 AM
The new Teflon impregnated maximum smoothness cables from Campy solved the cable friction problem that I was having with my Colnago C- RS.

Campy lists a 10 pack of the new cables, with a 360mm length of housing for each cable, but I couldn't find anyone selling them.

I notice that Meriln's sale didn't last very long.

oldpotatoe
01-12-2020, 08:34 AM
The new Teflon impregnated maximum smoothness cables from Campy solved the cable friction problem that I was having with my Colnago C- RS.

Campy lists a 10 pack of the new cables, with a 360mm length of housing for each cable, but I couldn't find anyone selling them.

I notice that Meriln's sale didn't last very long.

14 inches per cable(36cm) of housing..that doesn't sound long enough....:eek:

Dave
01-12-2020, 04:21 PM
360mm is only enough for a RD loop.

acorn_user
01-13-2020, 12:59 PM

Thanks, that might be the answer. Once I can fit a rear wheel (the Campagnolo hub axles will not fit the drop outs).... Lol, bike building always throws up unexpected issues :)

drgonzo
06-22-2020, 01:51 PM
Reviving this thread as I'm gearing up to buy a new SR group.

After some research, it seems I have 3 general options for purchasing a new Campy SR 12 group online:

1) US-based retailer: best price found Competitive Cyclist: $2,502+tax
2) Euro-based retailer whole group single purchase: best price found LordGun: $1,854 (may invoke import duty headaches)
3) Euro-based retailer purchase parts in multiple orders of less than $800 each: best total price found (combo of LordGun + PBK): $2,054

So the question is what option makes the most sense? Buying from a US-based shop means a $500+ premium but is it worth it to avoid downstream hassles? Buying from Lord Gun is super tempting at $1854 but what duty headaches are likely to hit me after the fact? Buying in multiple orders of less than $800ea to avoid duties sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Thoughts?

madsciencenow
06-22-2020, 01:56 PM
Duties are not a certainty but neither is support from ex US retailers. CC will have your back while who knows with ex US. I’ve had good and bad experiences w/ ex US. PBK sucks, imho and Merlin has been better but my guess is you can find folks who have had the opposite experience so it’s a dice roll. Do you feel lucky?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngryScientist
06-22-2020, 02:08 PM

After some research, it seems I have 3 general options for purchasing a new Campy SR 12 group online:

2) Euro-based retailer whole group single purchase: best price found LordGun: $1,854 (may invoke import duty headaches)
3) Euro-based retailer purchase parts in multiple orders of less than $800 each: best total price found (combo of LordGun + PBK): $2,054

So the question is what option makes the most sense? Buying from a US-based shop means a $500+ premium but is it worth it to avoid downstream hassles? Buying from Lord Gun is super tempting at $1854 but what duty headaches are likely to hit me after the fact? Buying in multiple orders of less than $800ea to avoid duties sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Thoughts?

not knowing what you actually are buying specifically, velomine in the US has always been good on prices and is showing about 2k for a rim mech SR group...

https://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=86_162_258_593&products_id=4856

mistermo
06-22-2020, 02:13 PM

Thoughts?

Not knowing what you are buying specifically, Glory Cycles has an SR groupset for $2265

https://glorycycles.com/groupsets/?_bc_fsnf=1&Model=Super+Record+12+Speed

drgonzo
06-22-2020, 02:54 PM
not knowing what you actually are buying specifically, velomine in the US has always been good on prices and is showing about 2k for a rim mech SR group...

https://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=86_162_258_593&products_id=4856

Not knowing what you are buying specifically, Glory Cycles has an SR groupset for $2265

https://glorycycles.com/groupsets/?_bc_fsnf=1&Model=Super+Record+12+Speed

Sorry guys, I should have been more specific:
Super Record 12S
crankset (172.5, 50/34)
shifters/levers (mech)
dual pivot rim brakes
front der (mech)
rear der (mech)
cassette (11-32)
chain
bb cups (BSA)

Glory does have good pricing, dunno how I missed then in my search. Do you recommend them?

AngryScientist
06-22-2020, 02:58 PM
Sorry guys, I should have been more specific:
Super Record 12S
crankset (172.5, 50/34)
shifters/levers (mech)
dual pivot rim brakes
front der (mech)
rear der (mech)
cassette (11-32)
chain
bb cups (BSA)

Glory does have good pricing, dunno how I missed then in my search. Do you recommend them?

i dont know about glory, but i highly recommend velomine.

if you have any questions, give them a call, they are really nice and super helpful, and may be able to get you what you need even if it is not necessarily on their site.

drgonzo
06-22-2020, 03:13 PM
i dont know about glory, but i highly recommend velomine.

if you have any questions, give them a call, they are really nice and super helpful, and may be able to get you what you need even if it is not necessarily on their site.

Thanks Angry! I'll def check in with them. I need to keep costs down as much as possible but I also want to work with a shop that will actually support me if needed. This may be the last new group I ever buy so saving a few $$ isn't the most important feature.

mistermo
06-22-2020, 03:26 PM
Thanks Angry! I'll def check in with them. I need to keep costs down as much as possible but I also want to work with a shop that will actually support me if needed. This may be the last new group I ever buy so saving a few $$ isn't the most important feature.

I've bought from Clive at Glory and also Velomine. I'd say Glory is a more full service online retailer. Velomine does fine, but seems to have their Campy niche and often fewer products. Either work great.

Dave
06-22-2020, 04:15 PM
Texas cyclesport asks 2250 for an SR group.

https://www.texascyclesport.com/campagnolo-super-record-rim-ergo-12-speed-groupset-limited-time-offer/

jtbadge
06-22-2020, 04:19 PM
Anyone bought from EuroBikeParts? They are US-based and seem to be decently priced (plus the 5% off coupon). I like that they give you lots of options for parts substitution including omission.

https://www.eurobikeparts.com/products.php?cat=Campagnolo+Groups

cueoner
06-22-2020, 06:48 PM
I bought a full DA 9100 groupset from Euro Bike Parts last month. Great price and quick delivery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
06-23-2020, 06:39 AM

Thoughts?

Altho rare, warranty may be a concern. Many Euro distributors are not part of the 'approved' distribution system and may in fact be selling seconds/blems.
Most of these places 'self warranty', since when checking the wee bar code(if re is one) will show they aren't warranty-able.

Some US re-sellers are also a part of a large distribution company(a subject for another thread), like I suspect Velomine and Planet Cyclery..so pretty safe buying from them since they are Campag, Italy's customers as distributors. EuroBikeParts too...I think they are owned by Ochsner...