PDA

View Full Version : Tattoos - do you?

dbnm
12-10-2019, 08:34 AM
Just wondering who has a tattoo?

Got a good story about it?

I turned 50 last January and spent 24 hours getting my left arm "sleeved".

I'm about to start my right arm next month.

AngryScientist
12-10-2019, 08:38 AM
wow that's major.

did you have any before?

what made you make this leap @ 50?

dbnm
12-10-2019, 08:41 AM
I had two little ones that I got when I was in my 20s.

My "plan" for turning 50 was the sleeve and learning to play the piano.

So I got the tattoo and bought a piano. No lessons yet. Soon. Really.

zennmotion
12-10-2019, 08:44 AM
I had two little ones that I got when I was in my 20s.

The tattoo will change your appearance, but the piano will change your soul- get on it!:cool:

hummus_aquinas
12-10-2019, 08:49 AM
http://66.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxfdn4z3FH1qmg2f5o1_500.jpg

mcteague
12-10-2019, 08:55 AM
None and never will. But, getting a real Deja Vu here, maybe do a search. :rolleyes:

Tim

redir
12-10-2019, 08:56 AM
That's impressive work right there. Tattoo's are not for me but I can appreciate them on others.

oldpotatoe
12-10-2019, 08:59 AM
Yup, have 6..this one my favorite..yes, been on this forum before BUT..all mine have a 'story', why you get them..Nice sleeve, BTW-I'd love another but $ and 'old skin' means maybe not.
None and never will. But, getting a real Deja Vu here, maybe do a search.

Good for you and geez, winter, why not...

oldpotatoe
12-10-2019, 09:01 AM
That's impressive work right there. Tattoo's are not for me but I can appreciate them on others.

One thing for sure. You'll 'never' get just one..Finding a great artist is essential.

Boulder INK here in the republic, 'PeeWee' or Lance, if anybody thinking and is local.

cmg
12-10-2019, 09:12 AM
mine are home made, ink bottle, needle with thread wrapped around it, tapped by a buddy. sort of prisonish. tats mean something totally different to me. they're not art but markers. My teenage experience is getting pulled over then searched for a tattoo to identify.

kppolich
12-10-2019, 09:26 AM
Pass, you don't put a bumper sticker on a Cadillac.

XXtwindad
12-10-2019, 09:34 AM
Just wondering who has a tattoo?

Got a good story about it?

I turned 50 last January and spent 24 hours getting my left arm "sleeved".

I'm about to start my right arm next month.

Looks great! Looking pretty damn good for 50 as well! (At least from the pics...)

XXtwindad
12-10-2019, 09:38 AM
Pass, you don't put a bumper sticker on a Cadillac.

Love the brashness.

GOTHBROOKS
12-10-2019, 09:39 AM
i have almost my whole legs covered and i want to black them out.

azrider
12-10-2019, 09:52 AM

This is very interesting to me. I have no tattoos and have always kinda thought they were cool (except for face, neck, hands, or legs) but the desire as of late (I'm 43)has been getting more and more palpable. Even my wife has given the go ahead and said "Yeah I think one arm sleeve would be hot". Okkkkkayyyy..........

But the biggest deterrent for me not getting one is having kids and telling them NO they can't have one or get one while I'm sportin ink........that sound weird?

Sorry for ramble.

Cool tat and good on ya for wanting to learn to play the keys. I too have always wanted to sit down at a piano and jam.

doomridesout
12-10-2019, 09:53 AM
Lost count how many I have. My wife is the heavily tattooed one, she’s a tattoo artist. All black line work.

Tickdoc
12-10-2019, 09:54 AM
When I was younger I stabbed my big toe with a pencil and it left a mark.

Does that count?

madsciencenow
12-10-2019, 09:56 AM
This is very interesting to me. I have no tattoos and have always kinda thought they were cool (except for face, neck, hands, or legs) but the desire as of late (I'm 43)has been getting more and more palpable. Even my wife has given the go ahead and said "Yeah I think one arm sleeve would be hot". Okkkkkayyyy..........

But the biggest deterrent for me not getting one is having kids and telling them NO they can't have one or get one while I'm sportin ink........that sound weird?

Sorry for ramble.

Cool tat and good on ya for wanting to learn to play the keys. I too have always wanted to sit down at a piano and jam.

I’m of a similar vintage and my wife has similar thoughts about me getting some ink. I’m less concerned about the kids and more concerned about the impact professionally. Does anyone have experience with this? In addition, it seems like it’s probably not cheap? This being the case I’d probably rather buy something for the bike:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

josephr
12-10-2019, 10:02 AM
no tats here...nothing against them, but I'd just rather spend my money on travels, bicycles, home improvements, or helping my kids out where I can. :)

redir
12-10-2019, 10:08 AM
One thing for sure. You'll 'never' get just one..Finding a great artist is essential.

Boulder INK here in the republic, 'PeeWee' or Lance, if anybody thinking and is local.

I remember a high school friend of mine telling me the same thing, he's covered in them though none really look bad and he can hide them in clothing if he wants. Come to think of it, I have a few friends with tat's and none of them only have one.

Matthew
12-10-2019, 10:10 AM
None for me either. But I've worked in Corrections since 1991. So maybe my view of them is tainted a bit. If you get one, please leave the neck and face alone. Just not appealing. Faces end up looking like a school desk in detention.

veggieburger
12-10-2019, 10:17 AM
Sometimes when I get bored I google 'misspelled tattoos'. Amazing.

https://www.liveabout.com/thmb/evyFbZVpD_5za_Q_8Azh2Etk-Lo=/707x536/filters:fill(auto,1)/regerts-arm-58b8d3e35f9b58af5c8e65f8.jpg

azrider
12-10-2019, 10:24 AM
Sometimes when I get bored I google 'misspelled tattoos'. Amazing.

Ha....you owe me 12 minutes :p:p:p

Some of these are amazen

https://happyvalleynews.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/a1712e97-1bb7-4ba1-8b17-0b652d130900.jpg

weisan
12-10-2019, 10:42 AM
I don't.

But looks like, a lot of people are interested in Chinese or Japanese.

The exotic and mystical Orient, I guess.

http://www.chinahush.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/20100805tattoo45.jpg

https://www.wildtattooart.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Japanese-tattoos-09031795.jpg

jr59
12-10-2019, 10:43 AM
Just one. To honor someone who no longer breathes the air of this world! I miss them greatly.

azrider
12-10-2019, 10:48 AM
Just one. To honor someone who no longer breathes the air of this world! I miss them greatly.

That picture reminds me of a very odd game my wife and her 4 sisters like to play called "name that body part"............:eek::eek:

el cheapo
12-10-2019, 10:51 AM
As long as you have a quality artist that has proven himself/herself with outstanding work I think they look great. However I have seen some really bad tats over the years that these folks are stuck with. The main reason I don't have any is this...the older you get the more your skin looks saggy. I'm afraid we are going to have an epidemic of gnarly looking tats in the near future.

veggieburger
12-10-2019, 11:04 AM
As long as you have a quality artist that has proven himself/herself with outstanding work I think they look great. However I have seen some really bad tats over the years that these folks are stuck with. The main reason I don't have any is this...the older you get the more your skin looks saggy. I'm afraid we are going to have an epidemic of gnarly looking tats in the near future.

That's why you need Turlington's lower back tattoo remover.

https://vimeo.com/69310297

Blue Jays
12-10-2019, 11:14 AM
"...That's why you need Turlington's lower back tattoo remover..."
Hilarious! Society will be quite a thing to see in twenty or so years. LOL.

tbike4
12-10-2019, 11:40 AM
I work in IT with employees that have to deal with the public/ end users at times. Men/women don't get hired with face or hand ink. Something young people might consider. If I can remember back when I was 20 years old I probably wouldn't care either.

Now that I am old I can get some ink and it won't look bad when I am REALLY old. ;)

pjm
12-10-2019, 11:51 AM
:rolleyes:

dbnm
12-10-2019, 11:54 AM
I have worked with creative types for the last 16 years and tattoos are common.

But I agree about the hand, face, neck tattoos. Unless you sincerely don't care or have a nice size trust fund, don't get them.

Sheep? Not at all.

buddybikes
12-10-2019, 11:59 AM
Prefer to pass and have my artwork on the wall or below me. plus: https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/in-depth/tattoos-and-piercings/art-20045067

call me chicken but I have 2 canula/needles in my 24 hrs a day with diabetes, know what skin reactions can cause.

Hawker
12-10-2019, 12:37 PM
when i was younger i stabbed my big toe with a pencil and it left a mark.

Does that count?

lol!

FlashUNC
12-10-2019, 12:40 PM
I feel like buying the Corvette is less permanent, but everybody's gotta do what's right for them.

makoti
12-10-2019, 12:51 PM
Yup, have 6..this one my favorite..yes, been on this forum before BUT..all mine have a 'story', why you get them..Nice sleeve, BTW-I'd love another but $ and 'old skin' means maybe not.

Good for you and geez, winter, why not...

I asked someone what their tattoo meant once. I was reamed for it. I figured if you were going through the expense, time, and discomfort of getting something you would have forever, that it might just mean something. Guess I was wrong.
I don't have any, so I admit to being clueless to the thoughts that go into one. Why get one where it will always be covered? I understand a personal one, memory of a loved one gone, a private reminder to yourself. But on your back? Where you can't even see it? I'm lost.

DarkStar
12-10-2019, 01:01 PM
Ex-navy here, never had any interest in acquiring ink then or now. Occasionally a whimsical tat catches my eye but that’s about it.

45K10
12-10-2019, 01:08 PM
I have one that I got while I was in the Army almost 30 years ago. I regretted it almost as soon as I got it but it was a platoon thing.

biker72
12-10-2019, 01:14 PM
Ex Navy here too. Zero interest in tattoos.
When I was in boot camp at Great Lakes Il. guys would take their weekend afternoon liberty time and go to Milwaukee or Chicago and get tattoos. A number of them got infected. What a mess.

m_moses
12-10-2019, 01:49 PM
I don’t have any and through most of my life have sort of looked down upon tattoos as something only for convicts or mariners.

But now . . . my wife and ex-wife have them. So do my daughters and step daughters. Even other cyclists here have them.

I’m retired and feel truly free to be me and have lately thought about getting a sleeve. I’m stuck on the design though. I can’t decide what to get.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pjm
12-10-2019, 01:55 PM
I got personalized license plates once and thought they were stupid two weeks later, so I got rid of them. Better not get a tat.

XXtwindad
12-10-2019, 02:08 PM
I don’t have any and through most of my life have sort of looked down upon tattoos as something only for convicts or mariners.

But now . . . my wife and ex-wife have them. So do my daughters and step daughters. Even other cyclists here have them.

I’m retired and feel truly free to be me and have lately thought about getting a sleeve. I’m stuck on the design though. I can’t decide what to get.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is actually very interesting.

kevinvc
12-10-2019, 02:19 PM
I have a few on my shoulders, back and ankle. All are completely covered in regular office wear, although it wouldn't be an issue at my current job anyways. Each has a story and personal significance so I don't have any regrets, although one is a bit larger than I would prefer if I were to do it over.

I was thinking about getting one for my 50th birthday, which was a couple of months ago. I couldn't nail down a final design so I chose not to get anything done rather than have one that I wasn't whole-heartedly into. I might get another at some point, but not sure if it will all come together.

I was reading an article about how tattoos are so prevalent in all walks of society now that a lot of teens consider them something that old people do and don't have an interest in them. I guess all things really do come in and out of fashion. I wonder what today's 15 year-olds will do to show they're rebellious and edgy. :cool:

benb
12-10-2019, 02:27 PM
Pass.. we've reached peak tattoo it seems. Almost like more people have them than don't have them.

I also couldn't begin to think what I'd want that I wouldn't regret.

2010 trip to CA was the first time I started thinking Tattoos were jumping the shark. It seems like we've caught up on the east coast now.

Not saying I don't appreciate some of them, but I see more I think look weird/lame/repetitive.

XXtwindad
12-10-2019, 02:48 PM
I have a few on my shoulders, back and ankle. All are completely covered in regular office wear, although it wouldn't be an issue at my current job anyways. Each has a story and personal significance so I don't have any regrets, although one is a bit larger than I would prefer if I were to do it over.

I was thinking about getting one for my 50th birthday, which was a couple of months ago. I couldn't nail down a final design so I chose not to get anything done rather than have one that I wasn't whole-heartedly into. I might get another at some point, but not sure if it will all come together.

I was reading an article about how tattoos are so prevalent in all walks of society now that a lot of teens consider them something that old people do and don't have an interest in them. I guess all things really do come in and out of fashion. I wonder what today's 15 year-olds will do to show they're rebellious and edgy. :cool:

Get a flip phone.

duff_duffy
12-10-2019, 02:55 PM
My 15 year old told me she wants a flip phone instead of her iPhone yesterday!

[/B]

Get a flip phone.

David Tollefson
12-10-2019, 03:22 PM
Feb 24, 2011. My first and so far only. Same as my business logo.
https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/get-photo.asp?photoid=132658

I've thought of others, but nothing has stuck with me long enough.

Advice to anyone considering a tat:
(1) Make it your own design. Doesn't mean you have to draw it, just make the concept yours.
(2) Print it out full size and put it somewhere you will see it every day, like a bathroom mirror.
(3) If after a year of seeing it every day, you still like it and it still means as much to you as the day it was conceived, then go ahead.

This will be my requirements to my young daughter if she says she wants one. I won't say "no", especially since both her mom and I have them...

BobC
12-10-2019, 03:34 PM
Retired Navy as well. Zero interest
I got scars. Earned those.

OtayBW
12-10-2019, 03:45 PM
I was thinking about getting a traditional Sak Yant tattoo when I was in Chiang Mai last month, but then I didn't...:eek:
I still think of getting a Japanese Enso from time to time, but then I don't....:cool:

All this appeals to me in an 'almost nearly, but not quite hardly' kind of way...:)

Burnette
12-10-2019, 03:48 PM
I paint and draw, have most of my life and I have drawings and sketches decades old.

My tastes vary and change over time. Looking back at some of my old work, it still resonates, some if it not so much, I wouldn't want it on my skin.

Being into art, I really like tattoos and have read much about them. I have a niece with a few too. I just couldn't commit to one thing forever myself.

Hawker
12-10-2019, 03:48 PM

Crew cuts and suspenders?

redir
12-10-2019, 03:53 PM
Feb 24, 2011. My first and so far only. Same as my business logo.
https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/get-photo.asp?photoid=132658

I've thought of others, but nothing has stuck with me long enough.

Advice to anyone considering a tat:
(1) Make it your own design. Doesn't mean you have to draw it, just make the concept yours.
(2) Print it out full size and put it somewhere you will see it every day, like a bathroom mirror.
(3) If after a year of seeing it every day, you still like it and it still means as much to you as the day it was conceived, then go ahead.

This will be my requirements to my young daughter if she says she wants one. I won't say "no", especially since both her mom and I have them...

What business are you in? IT looks cool. If I had to guess you would be in a metal band :D

David Tollefson
12-10-2019, 04:11 PM
What business are you in? IT looks cool. If I had to guess you would be in a metal band :D

Bike frame builder/owner of Mjolnir Cycles. I have that on every frame as a headbadge.

azrider
12-10-2019, 05:12 PM
I guess all things really do come in and out of fashion. I wonder what today's 15 year-olds will do to show they're rebellious and edgy. :cool:

One word.........overalls

https://www.hypable.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/nsync-matching-overalls.jpg

gdw
12-10-2019, 05:50 PM
None, I can hold my liquor.

gbcoupe
12-10-2019, 05:53 PM
I have a small lizard tattoo above my left ankle. Got it 30+ years ago. No regrets or regerts.

Maybe I'll get a red Sram frog on the other side ;)

No desire for painting a large canvas, but I do appreciate the art.

Louis
12-10-2019, 05:54 PM
Somewhere on this forum I've posted an image of my cycling-related tattoo, but for some reason I can't find it. I think I have it saved on a different computer - when I'm at that machine later I'll check.

guyintense
12-10-2019, 06:13 PM
People with tattoos are more likely to commit violent crimes, statistically speaking.

robertbb
12-10-2019, 06:20 PM
This is in memory of the life my late grandfather lived. It's on my inner left bicep (closest to the heart). Loosely translated, it means "One must carry on and push through".

He was orphaned (and lost brothers and sisters) in his childhood years while running from the Nazi's (Russian front). Orphanages for Jewish kids in Russia, post WW2... not a pleasant place. He always worked hard, bettered himself, became an engineer in the Soviet army. Migrated here to Australia in 1979 with his wife and two kids. Was diagnosed with Leukemia and given 6 months. Lived 12 years after that. They don't build them like him anymore.

The most generous, loving and strong person I have or will ever meet. The phrase is written on his gravestone. It was his motto for life. I was lucky to have him as a father figure until my early 30's. I got it done on the first birthday (of his) after his passing, because it's in memory of his life - not his death.

https://i.ibb.co/CsDQDVh/bb-ink.png (https://ibb.co/CsDQDVh)

Blue Jays
12-10-2019, 06:27 PM
"...I wonder what today's 15 year-olds will do to show they're rebellious and edgy..."

Plaid. The future of rebellion is very likely to be clad in plaid.

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/166E6/production/_85687819_rollers_1975_bbc.jpg

gbcoupe
12-10-2019, 06:35 PM
This is in memory of the life my late grandfather lived. It's on my inner left bicep (closest to the heart). Loosely translated, it means "One must carry on and push through".

He was orphaned (and lost brothers and sisters) in his childhood years while running from the Nazi's (Russian front). Orphanages for Jewish kids in Russia, post WW2... not a pleasant place. He always worked hard, bettered himself, became an engineer in the Soviet army. Migrated here to Australia in 1979 with his wife and two kids. Was diagnosed with Leukemia and given 6 months. Lived 12 years after that. They don't build them like him anymore.

The most generous, loving and strong person I have or will ever meet. The phrase is written on his gravestone. It was his motto for life. I was lucky to have him as a father figure until my early 30's. I got it done on the first birthday (of his) after his passing, because it's in memory of his life - not his death.

That's pretty cool. Beats the hell out of "shut up legs".

Losing someone dear, especially early really hurts. Good that you had a great father and role model.

XXtwindad
12-10-2019, 06:39 PM

Losing someone dear, especially early really hurts. Good that you had a great father and role model.

Well put.

Plum Hill
12-10-2019, 06:39 PM
I always thought getting a tramp stamp or a back tattoo was like buying a Rembrandt and putting it in the closet where you couldn’t see it.

dbnm
12-10-2019, 06:42 PM
You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

:)

People with tattoos are more likely to commit violent crimes, statistically speaking.

mtb_frk
12-10-2019, 07:00 PM
Ive been thinking about a medic alert tattoo on my wrist. I know there is debate if EMTs are trained to notice them or not. I kind of like something like this though (not my wrist).

https://cdn.diabetesselfmanagement.com/2019/07/image1.jpeg

kiwisimon
12-10-2019, 07:03 PM
I live in Japan and tattoos create more hassles than they're worth. I have wanted one from time to time but I waited and the urge left.

Hellgate
12-10-2019, 07:11 PM
Is that a carp I see???

Spdntrxi
12-10-2019, 07:18 PM
not my thing... so no

Hellgate
12-10-2019, 07:21 PM
That's why you need Turlington's lower back tattoo remover.

https://vimeo.com/69310297Epic...

So in between wives and deployments I met this girl...

I'm in a FOB and sloooooowly get an email with a photo. My name is on her lower back! "Peter." ***??? I dumped her ass in a flash. Since then she's been married twice over, five times total. Me? Only twice... thank you very much.

So this is after I dumped her and I was inked over my name. I'm under the Batman looking icon. Found this on FB.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191211/a712961c2403fa952c28e94cc2d5b0c8.jpg

GParkes
12-10-2019, 07:29 PM
Only an opinion.........our skin is an amazing organism created (in my eyes, I understand maybe not in others) by God. It is his canvas; it protects our body by performing several bodily functions - regulation, protection, and sensation. It can also simply make us look beautiful, each in our own way.

To me, putting ink on our (my) skin, is like taking a Sharpie to Monet's "Water Lilies". Just my take.

To each their own.

XXtwindad
12-10-2019, 09:00 PM
[QUOTE=Hellgate;2631076]Epic...

So in between wives and deployments I met this girl...

I'm in a FOB and sloooooowly get an email with a photo. My name is on her lower back! "Peter." ***??? I dumped her ass in a flash. Since then she's been married twice over, five times total. Me? Only twice... thank you very much.

So this is after I dumped her and I was inked over my name. I'm under the Batman looking icon. Found this on FB.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191211/a712961c2403fa952c28e94cc2d5b0c8.jpg[/QUOTE

Close call...

XXtwindad
12-10-2019, 09:02 PM
Only an opinion.........our skin is an amazing organism created (in my eyes, I understand maybe not in others) by God. It is his canvas; it protects our body by performing several bodily functions - regulation, protection, and sensation. It can also simply make us look beautiful, each in our own way.

To me, putting ink on our (my) skin, is like taking a Sharpie to Monet's "Water Lilies". Just my take.

To each their own.

I have a few Orthodox friends that feel similarly. I'm not observant, but I really like the analogy.

GOTHBROOKS
12-10-2019, 09:11 PM
Ive been thinking about a medic alert tattoo on my wrist. I know there is debate if EMTs are trained to notice them or not. I kind of like something like this though (not my wrist).

i got chewed out by my new endocrinologist for having a fresh tattoo until she saw my a1c. its bad for ppl who heal slowly/have weak immune systems to get them done. i cant wait to die.

ORMojo
12-10-2019, 09:13 PM
Yes, I do.

Now at age 61, I have had these for a little over ten years, absolutely no regrets and nothing I would change.

My back. The centerpiece is the inscription from when I was ordained as a Buddhist monk/priest in Thailand. The shoulder piece is a traditional Buddhist depiction of the levels of enlightenment. The lower piece illustrates the interconnectedness of all things - if you look very closely, you can find the sun, the moon, and other symbology representing various elements.

My left shoulder. Stylized lotus flower with Buddhas and inscriptions.

My right shoulder has the first/middle names of all four of my children, in a stylized English/Thai script my oldest daughter and I developed together. She also worked with me in pulling all of these elements together and working with the (local Eugene) tattoo artist to make certain he created the transfers/stencils correctly (took a few drafts to get all of the Thai letters precisely correct!). Obviously, I added my youngest child's name more recently, shortly after he was born almost 6 years ago now.

I work in a professional setting, and although all are covered by my shirt, they don't have to be. The Executive Director of my company has several visible tattoos (and other not generally visible ones). If anything, she completely supports such self-expression. And, sometimes humorously, my tattoos are quite visible when only covered by a white dress shirt - more than once I've had someone tell me that at first they thought I had a really unique shirt . . . until they realized those were tattoos under the shirt.

I frequently gaze at the lotus and the names of my children (especially my now deceased second daughter - I thought about memorializing her death by somehow adding to her name tattoo, but similar to the earlier comment here, realized that it is about the life she lived, and the love that continues to this day, not about her death). And my oldest daughter and I realized that my back, although not generally visible to me, was not only the appropriate location for those pieces given their size, but also because the ever-present, yet hidden, mindfulness of Buddhism is somehow conveyed by that placement.

Blue Jays
12-10-2019, 09:16 PM
"...I'm in a FOB..."
Forward Operating Base or Friends and Other Benefits?

:hello:

ORMojo
12-10-2019, 09:21 PM

To each their own.

I have a few Orthodox friends that feel similarly. I'm not observant, but I really like the analogy.

So . . . realizing that I may be stepping in, or starting, something with this comment (and not intending to) . . . . does that mean we shouldn't be landscaping the earth (in the gardening sense, not a destructive sense)? I'm not observant of a deity (my lineage of Buddhism does not think of Buddha as a god), and I fully understand the viewpoints above as consistent with their beliefs, but why not just stop the first quote above at "canvas" . . . which is a blank surface upon which it is intended to be creative and unique. I mean, it isn't just the skin that was "created" but the entire being, and we certainly differentiate, change, express, individualize those beings from the moment of birth, don't we?

XXtwindad
12-10-2019, 09:31 PM
So . . . realizing that I may be stepping in, or starting, something with this comment (and not intending to) . . . . does that mean we shouldn't be landscaping the earth (in the gardening sense, not a destructive sense)? I'm not observant of a deity - my lineage of Buddhism does not think of Buddha as a god, and I fully understand the viewpoints above as consistent with their beliefs, but why not just stop the first quote above at "canvas" . . . which is a blank surface upon which it is intended to be creative and unique. I mean, it isn't just the skin that was "created" but the entire being, and we certainly differentiate, change, express, individualize those beings from the moment of birth, don't we?

Well, I can't comment on the religious aspect of your question, because I'm not observant. I do know in my profession and location (a personal trainer in San Francisco) the body is considered "high art" and something to be continually improved upon, tinkered with, and used a vehicle for expression.

I'm one the few trainers that's not "tatted up" nor do I do have the archetypal hallmarks of a typical male trainer (i.e. big biceps and pecs) Personally, I have nothing for or against tats. Some look great and some look like dog****.

XXtwindad
12-10-2019, 09:33 PM
Yes, I do.

Now at age 61, I have had these for a little over ten years, absolutely no regrets and nothing I would change.

My back. The centerpiece is the inscription from when I was ordained as a Buddhist monk/priest in Thailand. The shoulder piece is a traditional Buddhist depiction of the levels of enlightenment. The lower piece illustrates the interconnectedness of all things - if you look very closely, you can find the sun, the moon, and other symbology representing various elements.

My left shoulder. Stylized lotus flower with Buddhas and inscriptions.

My right shoulder has the first/middle names of all four of my children, in a stylized English/Thai script my oldest daughter and I developed together. She also worked with me in pulling all of these elements together and working with the (local Eugene) tattoo artist to make certain he created the transfers/stencils correctly (took a few drafts to get all of the Thai letters precisely correct!). Obviously, I added my youngest child's name more recently, shortly after he was born almost 6 years ago now.

I work in a professional setting, and although all are covered by my shirt, they don't have to be. The Executive Director of my company has several visible tattoos (and other not generally visible ones). If anything, she completely supports such self-expression. And, sometimes humorously, my tattoos are quite visible when only covered by a white dress shirt - more than once I've had someone tell me that at first they thought I had a really unique shirt . . . until they realized those were tattoos under the shirt.

I frequently gaze at the lotus and the names of my children (especially my now deceased second daughter - I thought about memorializing her death by somehow adding to her name tattoo, but similar to the earlier comment here, realized that it is about the life she lived, and the love that continues to this day, not about her death). And my oldest daughter and I realized that my back, although not generally visible to me, was not only the appropriate location for those pieces given their size, but also because the ever-present, yet hidden, mindfulness of Buddhism is somehow conveyed by that placement.

Touching. Thanks for sharing.

joosttx
12-10-2019, 09:39 PM
My highschool buddy has "Mr Cat Piss" tattooed across his chest.

Louis
12-10-2019, 09:48 PM
Finally found the pics of mine:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697871784&stc=1&d=1385750882

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697871785&stc=1&d=1385750955

Blue Jays
12-10-2019, 09:56 PM
Tattoos are fine by me yet I do not possess one.
The majority of people whom I know have them.

BobO
12-10-2019, 09:57 PM

First, I'm sorry for your loss.

I get choked up when see that and think about how close my wife and kids came to being there too. That's a very powerful symbol.

I'm considering something discreet along those lines; ending in a semicolon. I'm not done yet.

doomridesout
12-10-2019, 10:52 PM

To each their own.

Your opinion is fairly widely shared and I think many people have a similar concept, although most are not able to articulate it in the same way or frame it religious terms.

When I started getting tattooed I expressly considered and rejected similar arguments from bodily purity. The human body is a thing of the material world, often scarred, damaged, and ultimately destined to die and rot. The long process of the body's deterioration begins at birth. Unlike coronary bypass scars, colostomies, and third degree burns, tattoos are a way to exercise control and agency over the process of decay, while recognizing and respecting the basic fact that bodies degrade. Memento mori. I choose what I look like in this life.

The religious aspect is often framed as the body being a creation of God (as you stated). The trouble for me is that the standard God has set for purity of the body happens to line up conveniently with societal in-group/out-group standards.

Almost certainly true. Tattooing is associated with reduced adherence to social norms, low impulse control, and higher rates of present value discounting. Working in and around criminal justice the stereotype seems justified to me.

Tattooing is one of those things that triggers binary thinking for many people-- either it has value and meaning, or it's a sign of a defective character. Like most things of power, it can be both.

old fat man
12-10-2019, 10:53 PM
Finally found the pics of mine:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697871784&stc=1&d=1385750882

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697871785&stc=1&d=1385750955

That chain was never gonna stay connected

BobO
12-10-2019, 11:14 PM
Unlike coronary bypass scars, colostomies, and third degree burns, tattoos are a way to exercise control and agency over the process of decay, while recognizing and respecting the basic fact that bodies degrade. Memento mori. I choose what I look like in this life.

Not criticizing your choices in any way, I'm not that kind of person.

That said, as an academic debate topic another way to look at this is that scars are an organic part of, result of a life lived if you will. As you said, the tattoo reflects what you choose to show the world, a scar is the accidental result of what you've done in the world. Rather than a process of decay, my scars tell the story of my life. I treasure my scars as each one is tied to and the result something exciting, dangerous, stupid, scary, etc.

d_douglas
12-10-2019, 11:17 PM
My highschool buddy has "Mr Cat Piss" tattooed across his chest.

That’s intense! That’s not one you can downplay at the pool...

Louis
12-11-2019, 02:55 AM
That chain was never gonna stay connected

I know - my massive power doomed it from the start...

At that scale the artist (who was a racer, and married (and divorced) from a pro racer) decided that adding the inner link would cause too much overlap, so she cut it off with outer links at both ends.

Nomadmax
12-11-2019, 04:51 AM
I have a few tattoos, including the Campy wheel with wings.

corky
12-11-2019, 05:37 AM
Just my opinion

They look like a skin disease from anything greater than 5 feet away

But lotsa people like them.

kiwisimon
12-11-2019, 05:44 AM
I know - my massive power doomed it from the start...

At that scale the artist (who was a racer, and married (and divorced) from a pro racer) decided that adding the inner link would cause too much overlap, so she cut it off with outer links at both ends.

you should have him tattoo the missing link on your perineum.

zambenini
12-11-2019, 06:19 AM
I have a few tattoos, am religious, and I find myself agreeing with a lot here, with some caveats... I like tattoos because they are anti-gnostic in the sense that they adorn and can affirm the body. My line on that is always beware mind-body dualism, any ideologies that view bodies as disposable, etc. (not that that is your view, here, Doom, I didn't read that in or into what you were saying).

Anyway, I think tattoos can be taken too far; at least when they don't seem to affirm and highlight the goodness of the body, that's a problem to me, but I really appreciate your memento mori point, as well... My brand of religious thought really digs "memento mori" as an outlook. It's kind of a lost art, actually... the truth will set you free and the truth is, we all gonna die. The difference I would say, for me, is whether humankind has a "supernature" beyond natural death, in addition to its nature and natural death. :) But that's a big thread drift. Tattoos rock, imo.

Your opinion is fairly widely shared and I think many people have a similar concept, although most are not able to articulate it in the same way or frame it religious terms.

When I started getting tattooed I expressly considered and rejected similar arguments from bodily purity. The human body is a thing of the material world, often scarred, damaged, and ultimately destined to die and rot. The long process of the body's deterioration begins at birth. Unlike coronary bypass scars, colostomies, and third degree burns, tattoos are a way to exercise control and agency over the process of decay, while recognizing and respecting the basic fact that bodies degrade. Memento mori. I choose what I look like in this life.

The religious aspect is often framed as the body being a creation of God (as you stated). The trouble for me is that the standard God has set for purity of the body happens to line up conveniently with societal in-group/out-group standards.

Almost certainly true. Tattooing is associated with reduced adherence to social norms, low impulse control, and higher rates of present value discounting. Working in and around criminal justice the stereotype seems justified to me.

Tattooing is one of those things that triggers binary thinking for many people-- either it has value and meaning, or it's a sign of a defective character. Like most things of power, it can be both.

oldpotatoe
12-11-2019, 06:42 AM
Some of these responses are hilarious and some show some lack of info about tattoos
Retired Navy as well. Zero interest
Ex Navy here too. Zero interest in tattoos.
Ex-navy here, never had any interest in acquiring ink then or now

USN doesn't always = tattoos..I got my first one when I was IN the USN, a small lady bug on my shoulder that my wife uses to sign her art..

I have seen some beautiful tattoos on guys on the flight deck as the deck crew take off their shirts during re-spot in the Indian Ocean..where it's HOT..lots done in Hong Kong('rooftops', any USN guys remember that place?)

But USN doesn't always = tattoos...
None, I can hold my liquor.

Most reputable places won't touch you if they even suspect you've been drinking or are stoned or on anything else.

For ORMOJO-those are beautiful..must've taken a while but nicely done.
So . . . realizing that I may be stepping in, or starting, something with this comment (and not intending to) . . . . does that mean we shouldn't be landscaping the earth (in the gardening sense, not a destructive sense)? I'm not observant of a deity (my lineage of Buddhism does not think of Buddha as a god), and I fully understand the viewpoints above as consistent with their beliefs, but why not just stop the first quote above at "canvas" . . . which is a blank surface upon which it is intended to be creative and unique. I mean, it isn't just the skin that was "created" but the entire being, and we certainly differentiate, change, express, individualize those beings from the moment of birth, don't we?

Well said and so some won't get a tattoo for whatever reason but we 'sculpt' our 'canvas' everyday..for the guys, do you shave?

Tattoos are the most personal of personal things...well thought out ones are beautiful and yes, there are a lot of dumb, stupid, ugly, gang-related among other things, tattoos out there BUT they can also be perfect way to express something.
My oldest son, after surviving testicular cancer has one that says 'gone but not forgotten' and a picture of a ball.

Picture of sheep?? C'mon..:)

oldpotatoe
12-11-2019, 08:13 AM
I don't.

But looks like, a lot of people are interested in Chinese or Japanese.

The exotic and mystical Orient, I guess.

I know a guy who wanted his name in Japanese kanji..it ended up meaning 'crazy foreigner'

"Henna Gaijin"

狂った外国人
:eek:

doomridesout
12-11-2019, 09:12 AM
I have a few tattoos, am religious, and I find myself agreeing with a lot here, with some caveats... I like tattoos because they are anti-gnostic in the sense that they adorn and can affirm the body. My line on that is always beware mind-body dualism, any ideologies that view bodies as disposable, etc. (not that that is your view, here, Doom, I didn't read that in or into what you were saying).

Anyway, I think tattoos can be taken too far; at least when they don't seem to affirm and highlight the goodness of the body, that's a problem to me, but I really appreciate your memento mori point, as well... My brand of religious thought really digs "memento mori" as an outlook. It's kind of a lost art, actually... the truth will set you free and the truth is, we all gonna die. The difference I would say, for me, is whether humankind has a "supernature" beyond natural death, in addition to its nature and natural death. :) But that's a big thread drift. Tattoos rock, imo.

Glad to hear a religious perspective that agrees. The sentiment of memento mori is not often appreciated these days. Regardless of what you see as the outcome, living in the shadow of death (at least a little) is an injunction to take responsibility for your life in an existential sense. Agreed it is anti-metaphysical.

I have seen many tattoos that clearly did not affirm life; they were done hastily with no consideration for the wearers lifespan. Some were well done, others not so much. Whether they portray a body-accentuating or life affirming message is not the point in my view. The question for me is whether the wearer considers them an expression of agency in their life or not. Bad tattoos are driven by what others think and delegate that agency to social pressures or shallowly felt whims.

Of course, I have a cartoon duck executioner with a boom box that says “Loud Music Kills” so let’s not get carried away with the gravitas.

XXtwindad
12-11-2019, 09:17 AM

Wow! That was well written! I had ruminate on that for a bit. This is exactly the type of writing (and thinking) that keeps me coming back to the "GD" Forum. Thanks!

BobO
12-11-2019, 09:25 AM
Picture of sheep?? C'mon..:)

To be fair, that can be a legitimate observation of some people. My oldest (whom I love) is very much a follower, of people and of trends, and got a number of tattoos because of that. She is an example of that line, the permanent expression of a temporary feeling, and does have regrets about those tattoos.

zambenini
12-11-2019, 09:38 AM
Glad to hear a religious perspective that agrees. The sentiment of memento mori is not often appreciated these days. Regardless of what you see as the outcome, living in the shadow of death (at least a little) is an injunction to take responsibility for your life in an existential sense. Agreed it is anti-metaphysical.

I have seen many tattoos that clearly did not affirm life; they were done hastily with no consideration for the wearers lifespan. Some were well done, others not so much. Whether they portray a body-accentuating or life affirming message is not the point in my view. The question for me is whether the wearer considers them an expression of agency in their life or not. Bad tattoos are driven by what others think and delegate that agency to social pressures or shallowly felt whims.

Of course, I have a cartoon duck executioner with a boom box that says “Loud Music Kills” so let’s not get carried away with the gravitas.That last line made me laugh. Also, I would not say a positive message (or any instantly apparent message) is required for a tattoo to be life/body affirming, even with my outlook. I definitely don't want a tattoo that says "just say no," or "Positive, encouraging KLOVE" A lot of the best religious art over the millennia has been extremely heavy metal, actually. Scope out Caravaggio's Beheading of John the Baptist. I would suggest, though, that sort of like the Supreme Court definition of obscenity, you know it when you see it, whether something is life/body affirming.

I'm throwing shade on no one, nor people's choices, but it does make me sad to see tattoos that obscure the face, or could be construed as degrading, for instance.

And in the cartoon character tattoo department, were I allowed by my wife, I would probably already have an Ed Roth type rat fink riding a MTB, a la the old Yeti logo.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

commandcomm
12-11-2019, 09:58 AM
Tattoos are not for me.

My only thought is I am surprised by the number of tattoos I see when going to a public pool or to a water park. Some of them don't age well especially when one was 20 and buff. When 35 with a dad bod, the 15 year old tattoo didn't keep up with the coolness.

FlashUNC
12-11-2019, 10:00 AM
I just don't like needles. It's also why I've never picked up a heroin habit.

GOTHBROOKS
12-11-2019, 10:05 AM
freebase, bro.

FlashUNC
12-11-2019, 10:06 AM
freebase, bro.

Excellent point. Then I could find an Opium Den of old.

Mzilliox
12-11-2019, 10:19 AM
Tattoos are not for me.

My only thought is I am surprised by the number of tattoos I see when going to a public pool or to a water park. Some of them don't age well especially when one was 20 and buff. When 35 with a dad bod, the 15 year old tattoo didn't keep up with the coolness.

hmm, i guess it depends on the body. im 39 now, i have one side of my torso covered in ink, and im more fit (buff if you must) than most 20yr olds. at the water park, you would think i was cool.
bad aesthetics are just that, but good aesthetics last. also, my tattoos are not for coolness, they are for me to remember things i have accomplished or people i have known. they are not for onlookers to judge and say, "oh that guy is past cool now." my tattoos are for me, thats why i had them drawn on me.

and whats the my body is a sacred chapel crap? you are gonna die and rot into dust like everyone else right? may as well do it on your terms.

redir
12-11-2019, 10:36 AM
Bike frame builder/owner of Mjolnir Cycles. I have that on every frame as a headbadge.

Sweet! I wish you great success in what must be a very rewarding business to be in.

makoti
12-11-2019, 11:23 AM
I just don't like needles. It's also why I've never picked up a heroin habit.

Work in healthcare. Set up IV's a lot. My fave is the person who says "I really don't like needles" while holding out their tattoo covered arm.

Drmojo
12-11-2019, 01:53 PM
or to each his own
wife has 37 tattoes and counting
I have zero ink- but 30+ scars and counting
I used to say “why desecrate a perfect specimen”
This specimen is no longer any where near
pefect.....;)

zetroc
12-11-2019, 02:05 PM
Good tattoos are still legible 30 years later. But if you don't like them, don't get them.

Dekonick
12-11-2019, 07:26 PM

If I saw it on your arm, I would take note. It would not change my treatment as treatment for someone who is unresponsive, or combative, or confused, or otherwise exhibiting s/s of hypoglycemia or altered mental status is going to get a blood glucose check as part of the initial work up anyway - almost immediately. I have always laughed with my peers about a DNR tat... center chest...

Dekonick
12-11-2019, 07:32 PM
First, I'm sorry for your loss.

I get choked up when see that and think about how close my wife and kids came to being there too. That's a very powerful symbol.

I'm considering something discreet along those lines; ending in a semicolon. I'm not done yet.

;

mtb_frk
12-11-2019, 08:07 PM
If I saw it on your arm, I would take note. It would not change my treatment as treatment for someone who is unresponsive, or combative, or confused, or otherwise exhibiting s/s of hypoglycemia or altered mental status is going to get a blood glucose check as part of the initial work up anyway - almost immediately. I have always laughed with my peers about a DNR tat... center chest...

I wear a medical alert thing on my watch but I think the more advertising the better if I can’t speak for myself. Also, I like it as a reminder every time I lift up my hand to put something in mouth.

robertbb
12-11-2019, 08:33 PM

Thank you!

Actually there are occasions where looking down at my left arm during a climb gives me the same affect as "shut up legs". Carry on. Push through. Embrace the pain. Get to the top. :)

Hellgate
12-11-2019, 09:34 PM
Forward Operating Base or Friends and Other Benefits?

:hello:What do YOU think? [emoji57]

fiamme red
12-11-2019, 09:37 PM
Tattoos can be very educational. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4zRe_wvJw8

jimoots
12-12-2019, 05:48 AM
I have a full arm and almost finished a leg. After that I’ll do the other arm and leg. Trad Japanese stuff.

I like the process in that it takes time and dedication. In an age of instant gratification it’s... not instant.

I also like that it’s something that can never be taken from me.

If someone chooses to judge me about my tattoos that says more about them than it does me.

oldpotatoe
12-12-2019, 06:15 AM

I've known guys in the military who have their name, SSN, DOB and blood type tattooed on their chest...next to where they 'may' put 'paddles'.

oldpotatoe
12-12-2019, 06:22 AM
To be fair, that can be a legitimate observation of some people. My oldest (whom I love) is very much a follower, of people and of trends, and got a number of tattoos because of that. She is an example of that line, the permanent expression of a temporary feeling, and does have regrets about those tattoos.

Fair enough but pretty big brush you painted with that picture..Yes, some do it cuz it's the keen thing to do but lots see it as the most personal of personal..for ME, none were designs out of some book, well except the Campag tattoo..:)

BUT none out of the books that most places have you look at..

Does she regret ALL her tattoos??

From Jimmy-Moots above
If someone chooses to judge me about my tattoos that says more about them than it does me.

Yup....

Dekonick
12-12-2019, 05:23 PM
Working 911 and emergency medicine, I see a LOT of tats. I enjoy the stories behind them, when patients are willing to share. Most are. Working with the elderly, those who have tattoo's tend to be military - and the history that comes with them is well worth taking the time to ask.

oldfatslow
12-12-2019, 05:27 PM

Your grandfather was a #badass.

robertbb
12-12-2019, 07:15 PM
Indeed... thank you! :)

BobO
12-12-2019, 07:46 PM
Fair enough but pretty big brush you painted with that picture..Yes, some do it cuz it's the keen thing to do but lots see it as the most personal of personal..for ME, none were designs out of some book, well except the Campag tattoo..:)

BUT none out of the books that most places have you look at..

Does she regret ALL her tattoos??

From Jimmy-Moots above

Yup....

My intention was to express exactly the opposite of a broad brush. Each person is an individual, free to make their own choices. I have no criticism for the choices people make for themselves. It was merely an observation giving a specific example.

Spoker
12-12-2019, 08:44 PM
What about the toxicity of some of the pigments?

Louis
12-12-2019, 09:13 PM
I never cease to be amused by how strong the anti-tattoo sentiment can be among some who are not in the least bit affected by the fact that others (like me) might happen to have a tattoo somewhere on their body.

It reminds me of H.L. Mencken's definition of Puritanism: "The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy."

makoti
12-12-2019, 10:56 PM
If you are getting a tattoo...do not get it the day before you get an MRI. Just don't. Skin around the tattoo can heat up and burn, and the ink can run. It's usually the second part that gets people to come back in a week, but just make it easy on yourself. /PSA

Hilltopperny
12-13-2019, 05:41 AM
I have a few tattoos. Each one comes with a memory of that experience and the people I was with at the time. Some from good times and others not. They are as much or more about those experiences and memories then the actual look.

I have not been tattooed since I was 27 which was about 12 years ago. Have thought about it quite a bit over the years and will likely finish up with half sleeves in the future. Mine have no color and I may incorporate some if I decide to move forward with the half sleeves which are already a third of the way there anyway. I will likely have my wife design something to incorporate with the others that are already existing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcteague
12-13-2019, 06:41 AM
I never cease to be amused by how strong the anti-tattoo sentiment can be among some who are not in the least bit affected by the fact that others (like me) might happen to have a tattoo somewhere on their body.

It reminds me of H.L. Mencken's definition of Puritanism: "The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy."

:confused: I don't get tattoos at all but would never try to stop any adult from getting one. I just can't seem to appreciate the appeal of the majority of them. Some simple black designs look interesting but the full color ones generally just look like bad hotel/motel art stuck on skin. It also reminds me how often folks live in the here and now as skin art rarely looks good on aging skin.

OTOH, I also fail to get why people wear baseball caps backwards! Unless you are a need to put on a catcher's mask or maybe put a camera up to you face I just don't get it. Like pants falling off your butt, guess its a style thing I'll never grasp.

Tim

oldpotatoe
12-13-2019, 07:47 AM
:confused: I don't get tattoos at all but would never try to stop any adult from getting one. I just can't seem to appreciate the appeal of the majority of them. Some simple black designs look interesting but the full color ones generally just look like bad hotel/motel art stuck on skin. It also reminds me how often folks live in the here and now as skin art rarely looks good on aging skin.

Tim

Some do, some don't..a good artist is essential. There ARE a lot of ugly tattoos but also some amazing ones, IMHO.

Dave B
12-13-2019, 08:04 AM
I have plenty. Mostly Star Wars on my left arm, and IF tattoo, 2 Richard Sachs logos, some Frat-toos, anniversary (my wife has the same one) a wedding band as I lost mine, and some other small family ones.

My Star Wars sleeve needs work as the original artist didn't do as quality of a job as I had hoped and it is very unorganized, but I love the beginning so I am good.

oldpotatoe
12-13-2019, 08:15 AM
I have plenty. Mostly Star Wars on my left arm, and IF tattoo, 2 Richard Sachs logos, some Frat-toos, anniversary (my wife has the same one) a wedding band as I lost mine, and some other small family ones.

My Star Wars sleeve needs work as the original artist didn't do as quality of a job as I had hoped and it is very unorganized, but I love the beginning so I am good.

Ya know, a LOT of tattoo places do low $ tattoos on Friday the 13th(TODAY)..my son is going to get the below..small..about 2 inches.

Dave B
12-13-2019, 10:08 AM
You have to love the madalorian stuff. The show is quite decent.

I love that choice though.

I teach a lot of Star Wars in my class or use it to explain some of the science I teach.

William
12-13-2019, 10:12 AM

I think he agrees...:eek:

W.

Mzilliox
12-13-2019, 10:27 AM
Work in healthcare. Set up IV's a lot. My fave is the person who says "I really don't like needles" while holding out their tattoo covered arm.

needles and tattoo guns are completely different animals. tattoo guns dont penetrate into your soul the way some needles do.

a tattoo gun is like an angry cat scratching the **** out of you, not anything like a needle penetrating.

jtakeda
12-13-2019, 10:31 AM

Sounds like you need to learn about tattoos a little more, especially the origins and traditional methods.
I’m guessing you meant to have your comment be a joke but it underscores your lack of understanding in the subject. Furthermore, as a health care professional it should be your duty to try and understand and sympathize/empathize with your patient and not mock them.

And we wonder why stigmatized groups of people don’t seek healthcare....

pdonk
12-13-2019, 10:36 AM
needles and tattoo guns are completely different animals. tattoo guns dont penetrate into your soul the way some needles do.

a tattoo gun is like an angry cat scratching the **** out of you, not anything like a needle penetrating.

Sounds like you need to learn about tattoos a little more, especially the origins and traditional methods.
I’m guessing you meant to have your comment be a joke but it underscores your lack of understanding in the subject. Furthermore, as a health care professional it should be your duty to try and understand and sympathize/empathize with your patient and not mock them

Glad others said this. As a person who has no tattoos but is fascinated by them and is phobic of medical procedures and especially needles, I have sat with a buddy and watched during 4 hr tattoo sessions and had no issue. Now, walk by a needle drop box in a public washroom and I get sweaty, queasy and nervous.

MattTuck
12-13-2019, 10:38 AM

my wife and I watch "Ink Master" which is an over the top 'reality' tattoo competition show -- sort of a guilty pleasure, since neither of us have tattoos. For what its worth, that show has opened up my eyes to the artistry and technique required to be a good tattoo artist.

My biggest obstacle to getting one remains my failure to find a design/concept that I think I'd like for many years to come.

I did recently find this artist, Melissa Baker (https://www.instagram.com/girlinheavystorm/?hl=en), that has done some pieces I really enjoy. Of course, I found her after she moved from Boston to the west coast.

jtakeda
12-13-2019, 10:39 AM

I also wonder if it’s something to do with control or teaching people “the correct” way to live in society, or something of that nature.

For me it’s a constant reminder of my commitment to an alternative lifestyle choice away from the status quo. If it prevents me from getting a job or turns people away from a relationship with me, then I probably don’t want to spend my time around those people anyway.

zambenini
12-13-2019, 11:21 AM
Eh, I think this can get pushed too far... (don't worry I'm not a curmudgeon, and see my pro tattoo post a few pages back; have several myself). I guess I'd highlight the tension between the individual and the community; I don't think the concept of most tattoos will get in the way of people's functioning in society any more, except at some of the limit cases, and, could that be a good thing? see the face and hand tattoo phenomenon for instance. I guess maybe - going out on a limb here - there's a reason, like maybe we just don't obscure the face? Not a good idea? So we can look at each other, read emotions, know and be known? Maybe it's OK to set some rules/limits to have a healthy functioning world? IDk.

Anyway, what I am getting at is the outcome of the radical assertion of the individual over community not sounding too good to me. Seems like a path to a lot of lonely people.

William
12-13-2019, 11:30 AM
I have one and have considered getting more many times but just haven't done it. Even come up with some of my own designs that I would use. With a design and art background I have an appreciation for a lot of the tattoo art I've seen. I can also be truthful and say I've seen some I personally think are hideous. I'm not into face or neck tats myself but to each their own.

W.

Ozz
12-13-2019, 11:59 AM

For me it’s a constant reminder of my commitment to an alternative lifestyle choice away from the status quo.....

Is it really "alternative" if everyone is doing it?

Enjoy: You are all individuals! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHbzSif78qQ)

Full disclosure...no tattoos here, never felt a need, I can appreciate good or meaningful ones, face and neck ones are distracting to me (my problem?)...I figure if that is your thing, go ahead with eyes wide open to how it may limit you in society.

Cheers.

jtakeda
12-13-2019, 12:06 PM
Is it really "alternative" if everyone is doing it?

Enjoy: You are all individuals! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHbzSif78qQ)

Full disclosure...no tattoos here, never felt a need, I can appreciate good or meaningful ones, face and neck ones are distracting to me (my problem?)...I figure if that is your thing, go ahead with eyes wide open to how it may limit you in society.

Cheers.

I’m not talking about a cute infinity sign or a small thing here or there. I understand what you’re saying, there are a lot of folks with tattoos these days.

I live in a big city and I still think it’s uncommon to see people with tattoos across their whole body

GOTHBROOKS
12-13-2019, 12:28 PM
jtakeda is a PUNK not a POSER. see you in the pit.

Ozz
12-13-2019, 12:30 PM
I’m not talking about a cute infinity sign or a small thing here or there. I understand what you’re saying, there are a lot of folks with tattoos these days.

I live in a big city and I still think it’s uncommon to see people with tattoos across their whole body

I know what you meant as well.....just giving you some good natured ribbing.

:beer:

makoti
12-13-2019, 12:36 PM
I’m guessing you meant to have your comment be a joke but it underscores your lack of understanding in the subject. Furthermore, as a health care professional it should be your duty to try and understand and sympathize/empathize with your patient and not mock them.

And we wonder why stigmatized groups of people don’t seek healthcare....

Wow. Overreact much?

doomridesout
12-13-2019, 12:45 PM
I’d say it’s still pretty alt considering how many dumb comments tattooed people get from normies. I’m glad I get to wear a suit at bar association events.

jtakeda
12-13-2019, 01:35 PM
Wow. Overreact much?

Yes. I was making an example of your experience with the needles and I could’ve been much softer about that than hard and critical.

I apologize, but the point I was trying to make is there are other ways to get tattoos, Tebori, traditional Borneo tattooing etc. So i understand you were pointing out the hypocrisy but there is a lot culture and tradition ingrained in tattoo culture so if you don’t fully understand it maybe try to learn about it rather than make a comment making fun of the people.

mcteague
12-13-2019, 01:43 PM
Some do, some don't..a good artist is essential. There ARE a lot of ugly tattoos but also some amazing ones, IMHO.

They are nice but, get back to me when the years have caused the inevitable skin sag or weight gain.:rolleyes:

Tim

makoti
12-13-2019, 02:03 PM
Yes. I was making an example of your experience with the needles and I could’ve been much softer about that than hard and critical.

I apologize, but the point I was trying to make is there are other ways to get tattoos, Tebori, traditional Borneo tattooing etc. So i understand you were pointing out the hypocrisy but there is a lot culture and tradition ingrained in tattoo culture so if you don’t fully understand it maybe try to learn about it rather than make a comment making fun of the people.

Not meaning to point out hypocrisy, because I wouldn't call it that. It's more that somethings are not an issue & others, that might require similar things (needles) are. It's like I catch myself constantly balking over paying $100 for stuff in my house, but $100 for new tires? Sure!
No offense meant. I apologize if it was taken.

buddybikes
12-13-2019, 02:10 PM
As an FYI to you or significant other, good acquaintance working at a high end restaurant in Park City, NO visible tatoos allowed. she has a few minor ones and slipped through.

doomridesout
12-13-2019, 02:45 PM
As an FYI to you or significant other, good acquaintance working at a high end restaurant in Park City, NO visible tatoos allowed. she has a few minor ones and slipped through.

Park City is full of Mormons and it’s a low wage service job that purports to be for career oriented food service professionals (welcome to working at high end restaurants). Not surprised.

XXtwindad
12-20-2019, 02:55 PM
A tattoo of a recent Browns/Steelers skirmish that resulted in an indefinite suspension.

Tackier than hell. Tribalism run amok.