PDA

View Full Version : OT: Advice on quality kitchen knives

Clancy
12-08-2019, 02:35 PM
Without going down too far into the rabbit hole, I could use some advice on a quality 8” chef knife. I’ve been looking at the Wustolf Classic but wondering if I’m paying more for the name and if there’s better options known by those in the know. This will be a Christmas gift for my wife who loves to cook and will be replacing an old inexpensive chef knife. Whatever the he brand we will probably stick with that and slowly build up a complete set.

fmradio516
12-08-2019, 02:43 PM
I cook a good amount and am a knife snob. Before I became a knife snob, i bought a set of Victorinox knives. For the money, you cant do much better. I still reach for these rather than knives that were double the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Fibrox-Chefs-Knife-8-Inch/dp/B000638D32/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=victorinox+knife+8%22&qid=1575837653&sr=8-5

gbcoupe
12-08-2019, 02:45 PM
I really like the Calphalon Katana Series. Have an 8", but prefer the 6" most of the time. They're not expensive (wrong... see edit below), have great hand feel and keep a good edge. I think they look nice as well. Been using them for ~6 years.

Just checked the price on these... they're not as affordable as I thought. They were a gift from my inlaws, so I guess I should have known better.
Still very nice knives.

AngryScientist
12-08-2019, 02:46 PM
I cook a good amount and am a knife snob. Before I became a knife snob, i bought a set of Victorinox knives. For the money, you cant do much better. I still reach for these rather than knives that were double the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Fibrox-Chefs-Knife-8-Inch/dp/B000638D32/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=victorinox+knife+8%22&qid=1575837653&sr=8-5

yes!

we have a kitchen full of really, really GOOD knives.

I was looking for a chef's knife to keep with my car camping gear to take on the road and someone suggested this one, i bought it as a budget option and i'm really pleasantly surprised at how nice it is.

https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/attachments/f43/112411d1561587188-camp-kitchen-chef-knife-knife-jpg

weisan
12-08-2019, 02:47 PM
http://www.metroalive.com/images/790x387/10849-costco.jpg

clyde the point
12-08-2019, 02:59 PM
Eric Estlund of Winter fame has the Peg of knives.

GonaSovereign
12-08-2019, 03:04 PM
I have a bunch of fancy task-specific knives from France and Japan, but honestly they sit and I’d trade them for more of my workhorses: Globals. They’re very well made high-production knives, feel amazing in the hand on long days in the kitchen, are well balanced, and are very (relatively) affordable. If you like the all-metal handle and are good with thinner Japanese blades, you’ll do well with Global.

giordana93
12-08-2019, 03:09 PM
wusthof is a great knife, a lifetime investment. but it is also a little heavy, which can be an asset (let the knife do the work) but if she is used to something lighter & more nimble, it may not be the best choice. the victorinox is a great knife too, but more of a utilitarian workhorse. not as heavy as the forged wusthof

gbcoupe
12-08-2019, 03:09 PM
Eric Estlund of Winter fame has the Peg of knives.

Well, there is that. And you can say, "oh honey, he makes bikes too. If you like the knife, maybe I can order one of his frames?"

You can also get her a Campagnolo cork screw as well.

MagicHour
12-08-2019, 03:13 PM
Good to see some love for the Victorinox 8" functionally just as good as Wusthof Classics we have in our kitchen. Maybe get the $$$ Wusthof for the wife gift though, just sayin.

yes!

we have a kitchen full of really, really GOOD knives.

I was looking for a chef's knife to keep with my car camping gear to take on the road and someone suggested this one, i bought it as a budget option and i'm really pleasantly surprised at how nice it is.

https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/attachments/f43/112411d1561587188-camp-kitchen-chef-knife-knife-jpg

jtakeda
12-08-2019, 03:14 PM
If it’s a chefs knife I highly recommend a Sabatier Carbon Steel chefs knife.

We have both Carbon steel sabatier chefs and Vintage stainless sabatier chefs among other various Japanese carbon steel etc.

The sabatier is affordable, keeps a good edge and has a great handle.

Bernalcutlery.com is a great place and I’m sure they’ll assist over the phone.

But first thing—right or left handed? If left handed your options are limited.

hokoman
12-08-2019, 03:17 PM
More of a warning than anything else - I have some Shun knives I spent a lot of money on (a large part of it because I thought they looked cool), and quickly realized that I don't have property cutting (or cooking) skills. I chipped a couple of them - the blades are super sharp, but brittle)... I typically reach for the Wusthof when I do anything now.

rohan
12-08-2019, 03:18 PM
If you are open to a Japanese chef's knife, I have been really happy with Tojiro, not as flashy as Global or Shun, but all the quality I need.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tojiro-dp-f-8081.html

DeBike
12-08-2019, 03:19 PM
I have not used a Victorinox, but have seen them highly rated by various cooking magazines. I have a few Calphalon knives, chefs and paring knives, that I use most of the time. They take on an edge fairly quickly and keep it for a while. Wusthof makes fine knives. I always use a good sharpening steel before and after using. Technique and honing are keys to keeping good knives in good shape. Also how one cleans them.

Ken Robb
12-08-2019, 03:25 PM
I have a mixture of knives from Japan, Germany and USA. I'd suggest choosing one that is beautiful as well as nicely balanced, etc. because it is a special gift for a special person but............I would buy it from a place with easy returns. I say this because a knife that is a perfect fit for one person may not be ideal for another person. I'd guess that when men buy knives for women they very well have a bit more weight and a bigger handle than the woman would choose for herself.

Veloo
12-08-2019, 03:32 PM
20 years ago my sister gave me a set of Henkel knives. The set was prob about $100. The handles started to break apart so we went shopping for a new chef and boning knife a few years ago and splurged on the Shun brand. Think the Chef knife was about $200. You can still go a lot more expensive.

I could feel the difference in quality and balance.

I ended up taking a class on sharpening them too as I got tired of dropping them off at the local kitchen store to do it. The instructor said German steel tends to be softer than Japanese steel and based on my Henkels and Shuns, I agree.

If you're not breaking the bank by doing so then I'd say go for a nice knife. A very good one lasts a life time.

If you think she'd like it, maybe she'd like a class on sharpening as well. Could lead to getting a stone, holder and lapping plate though - that can be quite a few extra bucks. But if she loves to cook then a razor sharp knife in the kitchen is a must for a serious chef. Sometimes these shops that offer the services just contract it out to someone with a machine that ruins the knives.

Veloo
12-08-2019, 03:33 PM
I agree. Keep the receipt.

I have a mixture of knives from Japan, Germany and USA. I'd suggest choosing one that is beautiful as well as nicely balanced, etc. because it is a special gift for a special person but............I would buy it from a place with easy returns. I say this because a knife that is a perfect fit for one person may not be ideal for another person. I'd guess that when men buy knives for women they very well have a bit more weight and a bigger handle than the woman would choose for herself.

Hindmost
12-08-2019, 03:36 PM
8 inch is a good size for easy handling and medium/smaller items, I use a 10 for almost everything. Stainless is convenient, high carbon just needs a little more cleaning care.

Look into a wood block to park it in and a stone.

jtakeda
12-08-2019, 03:38 PM

a good point. Also single bevel or double bevel? and also japanese or western handle?

Either way id give the folks at bernal a call theyre super informative. If youre really looking to spend some $ for an awesome nice check out silverthorn

Germany_chris
12-08-2019, 03:46 PM
If you’d like to go custom I have a few names to give you if not my default with everything sharp is Chris Reeve

David in Maine
12-08-2019, 03:47 PM
I'm partial to Lamson Sharp. The factory used to be in my hometown of Shelburne Falls, MA (D2R2 country!). They have sense moved production to I think Westfield, MA, but they still have a store in Shelburne Falls. Free lifetime sharpening if you send them in. I've had mine for years and just added a nice new bread knife to my collection on black friday.

https://lamsonproducts.com

djg
12-08-2019, 04:08 PM
Does it have to be a surprise? Various offerings feel different and the user might really prefer one style to another -- or not. If it needn't be a surprise, you could simply go to a kitchen store and let her try some. Somebody mentioned the Victorinox knives, some of which are a very good value. As with many things, the sky is the limit, but for 8" chef's knives there's a world of offerings in the 80 - 175 dollar range and it's easy to check them out.

My main chef's knife is Japanese but I still have my 30-plus year-old Wusthoff knives. They are very good examples of what they are -- symmetric German stainless knives that, with a modicum of care, will outlast you. They are, as has been pointed out, heavier than some other options, and your wife might like that or not (or not notice). There are other steels out there, other blade shapes, variations on the handle, etc., etc. Many folks don't care (or don't know and adapt to what they have). The main thing, with a 75 dollar knife or a 300 dollar knife (or a custom knife) is to keep it sharp. If she likes how the knife feels, and it's kept sharp, all will be well.

And there's no need to worry about building up a set of the same things, unless she really wants that -- a paring knife or petty needn't match the chef's knife and specialty knives can get pretty specialized.

charliedid
12-08-2019, 04:14 PM

My mother and wife would like to kick yer ass. :)

yngpunk
12-08-2019, 04:19 PM
If you're in the Chicagoland area, I'd suggest paying a visit to Northwestern Cutlery (nwcutlery.com) or give them a call and ask their advice:

sipmeister
12-08-2019, 04:49 PM
I'm partial to Lamson Sharp. The factory used to be in my hometown of Shelburne Falls, MA (D2R2 country!). They have sense moved production to I think Westfield, MA, but they still have a store in Shelburne Falls. Free lifetime sharpening if you send them in. I've had mine for years and just added a nice new bread knife to my collection on black friday.

https://lamsonproducts.com

I was looking at these (have other Lamson kitchen gear) but settled on a kitchen knife set from Buck. Got 20% off something through their online store at the time. Super happy so far.

BobO
12-08-2019, 04:51 PM
https://maumasifirearts.com/pages/gallery

A bit on the pricey side, but, the quality is outstanding, edge retention outstanding, balance perfect and beautiful. Mareko is an incredible craftsman.

everbeek
12-08-2019, 05:36 PM
Because it's a gift, go a little special. https://www.newwestknifeworks.com/

I love the 8" chef because it's not too big for my wife or too small for me.
-Mike

54ny77
12-08-2019, 05:41 PM
Whatever you get, here you go:

https://www.worksharptools.com/product/ken-onion-edition-knife-tool-sharpener/

Makes even a decent knife awesome.

echelon_john
12-08-2019, 05:48 PM
I think you should get her a Peloton.

Ken Robb
12-08-2019, 05:50 PM
My mother and wife would like to kick yer ass. :)

They may have to get in line. :rolleyes:

mtechnica
12-08-2019, 06:17 PM
I’d go with global. They are light and have a nice handle.

dookie
12-08-2019, 06:26 PM
Disappointed with my Shun santoku...not enough weight, fragile edge, Damascus looks cool though.

Fine with my Henkels Pro-S...had it forever, plenty durable, workhorse. But I prefer the extra curvature of the Wusthof blade shape.

LOVE my Global. Don't think twice...get one and be done.

bikinchris
12-08-2019, 06:30 PM
I just go to a restaurant supply store and get the knives they have. I have also bought spatulas etc. there. They have Victorinox knives with plain black handles. I bought my Chef knife, paring knives, deboning and bread knife a few decades ago. I have no complaints.

Dired
12-08-2019, 06:45 PM
Found this seller on eBay years ago and have been very happy with their service. No need to go down a deep rabbit hole, a shallow one will do. They're having a sale right now, too:

https://jp-knives.com/holiday-sale-2019/

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

paredown
12-08-2019, 06:51 PM
A lovely gift idea, but I agree that it is personal, so a place that does returns might be a good idea..

A good knife should last a good long time--I bought my 8" Henckels when they were pretty much the only game in town (1975-ish), and it is still usable--nearly a lifetime which is what the sales guy said at the time. Carbon steel, riveted (Bakelite? Plastic?) handle--it's the Trek of the knife world

The rivets are corroded (and one will be lost sometime in the next while--lots of citrus chopping over the years) but it will still hold an edge. Always hand washed, occasionally sharpened by pros, and touched up by me...

Clancy
12-08-2019, 07:07 PM
Some great thoughts, advice, and suggestions. A few blew past the rabbit hole and shot straight into the briar patch. A friend is into custom knives so I knew it could take up as much time and research...... and money that I wanted to put into it.

Probably go with the Wusthof, solid quality with consistent recommendations and not getting Campagnolo expensive. The Ken Onion sharpener is also going under the tree. Thanks for that suggestion.

By the way, I did get her The Peleton. Are you suggesting I should return it?

gbcoupe
12-08-2019, 07:18 PM
Some great thoughts, advice, and suggestions. A few blew past the rabbit hole and shot straight into the briar patch. A friend is into custom knives so I knew it could take up as much time and research...... and money that I wanted to put into it.

Probably go with the Wusthof, solid quality with consistent recommendations and not getting Campagnolo expensive. The Ken Onion sharpener is also going under the tree. Thanks for that suggestion.

By the way, I did get her The Peleton. Are you suggesting I should return it?

Well... waiting for Old Potatoe to chime in here, but I'm guessing he would say yes, exchange the Peleton for a Peloton! The Peleton is surely a Chinese knock off.

jlwdm
12-08-2019, 07:19 PM
20 years ago my sister gave me a set of Henkel knives. The set was prob about $100. The handles started to break apart so we went shopping for a new chef and boning knife a few years ago and splurged on the Shun brand. Think the Chef knife was about $200. You can still go a lot more expensive.

I have a set of Zwilling J.A. Henckels with wooden handles that have been great - at least 40 years old. Might have been better made then.

They were a lot more than $100.

Jeff

buddybikes
12-08-2019, 07:35 PM
Thanks Dave in Maine. I have an 8" Lamson, and just ordered a bread knife tonight matching.

sitzmark
12-08-2019, 08:09 PM
If it’s a chefs knife I highly recommend a Sabatier Carbon Steel chefs knife.

We have both Carbon steel sabatier chefs and Vintage stainless sabatier chefs among other various Japanese carbon steel etc.

The sabatier is affordable, keeps a good edge and has a great handle.

Bernalcutlery.com is a great place and I’m sure they’ll assist over the phone.

But first thing—right or left handed? If left handed your options are limited.

+1

Have purchased many knives over the years - block is full of them. The one I reach for 90% of the time is a 50+ year old Sabatier 8" chefs. A little less weight than the Wusthofs and Henckels - but perfect balance and feels more nimble. Blade is slightly thinner. The spine narrows nicely from handle to the tip, as does the bolster, so the heel cuts almost like a Japanese style blade without a bolster. Holds a razor edge. My stepfather was a foodie and my mother thought this was one of his older knives, so she tossed it in my off-to-college box. He was pissed but never did ask for it back. To this day it is still my favorite chefs knife because of the thinner blade and weighting.

kingpin75s
12-08-2019, 08:12 PM
Without going down too far into the rabbit hole, I could use some advice on a quality 8” chef knife. I’ve been looking at the Wustolf Classic but wondering if I’m paying more for the name and if there’s better options known by those in the know. This will be a Christmas gift for my wife who loves to cook and will be replacing an old inexpensive chef knife. Whatever the he brand we will probably stick with that and slowly build up a complete set.

I have had a full block of Wustolf Classic since the late 80s. They are work horse knifes for sure. That said, I strongly prefer and use my Shun and Global knives on a regular basis.

This is the knife I recently gifted my brother in law chef in Boston. He loves it. He takes it to work.

https://shun.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/kanso-8-in-chef

Japanese knives have a better blade angle. Generally 20 degrees, vs 28 degrees. Simply a nice edge.

I also really prefer knives like this one that have an angled bolster. I have found the hand feel is so much better with knives of this design.

I picked this one out because it is meant to be a simple knife with no extra adornment and it was for a professional chef. Any quality Japanese 8" Chef's knife with an angled bolster and a grip that suits your preferences, will likely be fine. Shun makes great knives so I stand behind most of their lines. From a handle perspective, there tends to be the Euro style like the Wustolf Classic and Japanese style, but some brands like MAC, do make Japanese knives with a Euro style handle if that is your preference.

Finally, by all means get a set if you like, however a 8" Chefs knife and a great paring knife go a long way. Serrated knives for example can be of lesser quality and you do not really lose anything.

Another recommend, while not strictly 8", this is the knife (Global G-4) I recommend to people getting started in cooking more seriously who want a good knife at a reasonable price. It is a great and well balanced knife and value for the cost. I have been using one in my mix for about 20 years.

https://www.amazon.com/Global-G-4-7-Oriental-Chefs-Knife/dp/B00005OL45

Finally, if you get serious, get a Whetstone. I have seen too many knives butchered in sharpening by even reputable shops and I no longer trust my knives to anything other than my stone. Once in a great while I use the stone and maintain with the honing steel.

charliedid
12-08-2019, 08:28 PM
I think you should get her a Peloton.

haha

charliedid
12-08-2019, 08:29 PM
They may have to get in line. :rolleyes:

:)

herb5998
12-08-2019, 09:18 PM
Victornox Fibrox Pro, very reasonable, easy to keep super sharp, and great overall chef's knife. It's been highly tested for years

93KgBike
12-08-2019, 09:51 PM

Brush up on the steel terminology, it won't take long.

My Global 8" Chef knife was a gift to myself when I took on cooking seriously. That was in 1998. And I used it to make Doro Wat, today. I only sharpen it a couple of or, three times a year, and always have to remind my wife or guests to take care. With a 10k grit stone I can get it surgically sharp without an effort.

I gave my wife a much more expensive Damascus steel Shun, which impresses everyone, and lives up to its price, but I still use the Global when I am in the zone and moving fast.

Tickdoc
12-08-2019, 09:52 PM
Wustof is my fav. Find a Williams Sonoma outlet if there is one nearby and you can score a nice set for a nice price.

glepore
12-08-2019, 10:15 PM
Rabbit hole indeed.

Carbon steel-Sabatier et al-takes a great edge but requires constant attention with a steel then stone, and rusts if put away damp. The bomb when Lee Valley had the 30's stock cheap in the 90's but more trouble than most will put up with.

German steel-wustoff, Henkels-pure stainless. Tough to put a real edge on. Overrated.

Japanese-like surgical scalpels. Fragile edge sharpened at 15 degrees v 25 on euro/american stuff. Slices like a razor but will not withstand casual handling, including poly cutting boards. They love wood. A chore to sharpen but doable.

Global and a couple other nsf rated restaurant brands-surprisingly good, softer stainless, durable shapenable but hit or miss.

Shun is beloved for a reason-hybrid edge, somewhat more euro/american, softer steels, Japanese handles and feel. Stupid expensive though.

My go to is VG10 Chinese knives made in the asian style from ebay. 8 in knives are around 80-90 bucks, perform like real Japanese knives. They require wood cutting surfaces (bamboo boards are cheap) and care in use, but are a joy in hand. Lacking that, I'd buy a good restaurant grade knife from whomever sharpens for those folks in your town, they know what works. Will be worlds ahead of the Henkels/Wustoff crowd.

FWIW, I've used each of the knives mentioned above. Have a collection of antique carbon steel, a bunch of asian ( avoid the santoku that folks love and get a nakiri or cleaver style, just as sharp, more useful and the flat blade allows you to scoop - if i had to have just one knife it would be this) and a 10 in leftover from my restaurant of unknown brand thats ridiculously good for what was likely a $30 knife.

Clancy
12-09-2019, 08:53 AM
Rabbit hole indeed.

Carbon steel-Sabatier et al-takes a great edge but requires constant attention with a steel then stone, and rusts if put away damp. The bomb when Lee Valley had the 30's stock cheap in the 90's but more trouble than most will put up with.

German steel-wustoff, Henkels-pure stainless. Tough to put a real edge on. Overrated.

Japanese-like surgical scalpels. Fragile edge sharpened at 15 degrees v 25 on euro/american stuff. Slices like a razor but will not withstand casual handling, including poly cutting boards. They love wood. A chore to sharpen but doable.

Global and a couple other nsf rated restaurant brands-surprisingly good, softer stainless, durable shapenable but hit or miss.

Shun is beloved for a reason-hybrid edge, somewhat more euro/american, softer steels, Japanese handles and feel. Stupid expensive though.

My go to is VG10 Chinese knives made in the asian style from ebay. 8 in knives are around 80-90 bucks, perform like real Japanese knives. They require wood cutting surfaces (bamboo boards are cheap) and care in use, but are a joy in hand. Lacking that, I'd buy a good restaurant grade knife from whomever sharpens for those folks in your town, they know what works. Will be worlds ahead of the Henkels/Wustoff crowd.

FWIW, I've used each of the knives mentioned above. Have a collection of antique carbon steel, a bunch of asian ( avoid the santoku that folks love and get a nakiri or cleaver style, just as sharp, more useful and the flat blade allows you to scoop - if i had to have just one knife it would be this) and a 10 in leftover from my restaurant of unknown brand thats ridiculously good for what was likely a $30 knife.

Ok, now I’m in the rabbit hole. A little background. I am a woodworker, furniture maker by trade. I have an old collection of Sheffield steel chisels, old Buck Brothers, Lie Nielsen planes, Japanese water stones, etc., etc.

But with my wife, I’m looking for a nice, high quality knife that she will find a pleasure to use. Where my hand tools are Super Record, I’m thinking more along the lines of 105 for her, maybe Ultegra. The Ken Onion Work Sharp also looks appealing. She doesn’t like me in her kitchen and I’m not that interested in being responsible for keeping her knives sharp. I’m thinking the Work Sharp will allow her to keep her knives sharp. She’s excellent in her own right with her hand skills so should be able to master it. She has no desire to whip out a stone and start sharpening, but the Work Sharp she would use. Any more thoughts on the Work Sharp?

So with a nice knife, I’m looking for something that does have some bling or eye appeal, one reason for the Wustolf. Open to others in that general price range. The Global looks very nice. Would prefer to stay away from more brittle materials found in Japanese knives.

That’s primarily why I was honing in on the Wustolf (bad pun). But I knew this was going to get deep!

And I thought it was spelled Peleton, that’s how we pronounce it down here in Texas.

Should I give her the knife before or after the Peloton?

jemdet
12-09-2019, 09:13 AM
I have two Global Knives - an 8" chef's knife and a 3" paring knife. I use one or both every day. Impressive quality at a price that won't break the bank.

mulp
12-09-2019, 09:28 AM
I'll add my 2c to this topic since i've been doing a bit of research on the topic for the past couple years.

Low level <$20 i would recommend cuisinart, or any other ceramic knife. These are super sharp, extremely hard, immune to rust, great use and abuse knives. The drawback is they look like toys, cannot be re-sharpened or honed and usually thrown out once they dull.

<$50 victorinox is probably the most bang for your buck knife you will ever find. It has a plastic handle that some people like but if you dont care about aesthetics and just want a nice beginner's knife and learn how to sharpen your own knives, this is a great buy.

$100+ is the issues become much more nuanced. German knives are softer than japanese knives, easier to sharpen but do not hold their edge as long. I've never been a big fan of german knives so I can't comment much on them. I've trended towards japanese knives because they look nicer, are sharper and since I have multiple knives, I can choose the best knife for the job and so i dont really have a need for german knives.

Best japanese chef's knife <$150 is the Miyabi sg2 8" chef's knife. SG2 is harder than VG10 which shun uses. VG10 is a much cheaper steel and people usually buy because they have a damascus design which makes the knife look really expensive. I have shun pairing, 6" and 8" chef knives all made with VG10 so I have experience with Shun's. However Shun is just unable to compare to the quality or attention to detail of Miyabis. Miyabi uses better steal, all handmade, and at $150 can't be beat. The only drawback of a Miyabi SG2 is that it does not have a damascus design.

If you want a damascus design then a Shun 6" or 8" for less than $100 is a good buy.

If you have $250+ then look at the Kramer collaborations, both german and japanese.

Mzilliox
12-09-2019, 09:45 AM
Im a snob.

the knife matters much less than your ability to keep it sharp. A sharp knife is a good knife and a safe knife.

every time i pull out the stones, i learn more about what it takes to keep a knife sharp. 1k grit stone and a leather strop will do wonders if you know how they are used.

oldpotatoe
12-09-2019, 10:11 AM

'Costco'???...righto..when you don't pay much for a chef's knife, you get a cheap chef's knife. yikes..

Wustof or Torjiro..what my oldest son recommends..he's a really great cook.

jtakeda
12-09-2019, 10:36 AM
Ok, now I’m in the rabbit hole. A little background. I am a woodworker, furniture maker by trade. I have an old collection of Sheffield steel chisels, old Buck Brothers, Lie Nielsen planes, Japanese water stones, etc., etc.

But with my wife, I’m looking for a nice, high quality knife that she will find a pleasure to use. Where my hand tools are Super Record, I’m thinking more along the lines of 105 for her, maybe Ultegra. The Ken Onion Work Sharp also looks appealing. She doesn’t like me in her kitchen and I’m not that interested in being responsible for keeping her knives sharp. I’m thinking the Work Sharp will allow her to keep her knives sharp. She’s excellent in her own right with her hand skills so should be able to master it. She has no desire to whip out a stone and start sharpening, but the Work Sharp she would use. Any more thoughts on the Work Sharp?

So with a nice knife, I’m looking for something that does have some bling or eye appeal, one reason for the Wustolf. Open to others in that general price range. The Global looks very nice. Would prefer to stay away from more brittle materials found in Japanese knives.

That’s primarily why I was honing in on the Wustolf (bad pun). But I knew this was going to get deep!

And I thought it was spelled Peleton, that’s how we pronounce it down here in Texas.

Should I give her the knife before or after the Peloton?

bernal-cutlery.shoplightspeed.com/k-sabatier-8-chef-authentique-carbon-steel-olive-h.html

This would make a great 105 level knife. And to add to above yes, make sure after the knife gets wet or after cutting acidic foods give the knife a quick rinse and wipe with a rag and you’ll prevent rust. Patina will always form. The edge on these knives are very sharp and reform well with honing steel. If you’re using daily send it in 2-3x a year to the local knife shop for a sharpening.

glepore
12-09-2019, 10:37 AM
The work sharp or even the cheap manual Chefmate is fine for a 105 level knife/edge. Best thing you can do is show her how to use a steel.

You'll appreciate that I spent several hours last weekend going down the card scraper rabbit hole...

As Ry Cooder sang, "that's the way we do things in Texas"...

Hardlyrob
12-09-2019, 10:38 AM
I've worked in the food and restaurant business for more than 30 years. It's fascinating that the people who use knives for a living usually have cheap ones. The two brands you see all the time in restaurants and food processing plants are Dexter Sanisafe, and Victorinox Fibrox.

I'm a functionality snob. Buy the knife that feels right in your hand - I believe that is way more important than stainless vs. carbon steel etc. But even more important than that is keep them sharp. Learn how to use sharpening stones and by all means get a steel and learn how to use it. The steel doesn't sharpen the blade, but it takes little tiny wobbles and straightens them, so the knife feels sharper again. Use a steel basically every day, and sharpen as needed. You should always be able to shave the hair on your arm with a knife - if not - time to hit the stones.

Cheers!

glepore
12-09-2019, 11:07 AM
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/8f/e6/8a/8fe68ab7177ab87395a6e3862778005f.jpghttps://www.dozorme-claude.fr/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/photo_coutelier_RVB_1900-600x421.jpg
All the Sabatier talk reminds me of these photos-a single waterdriven shaft powering a line of grindstones, and the workers with dogs across their legs to keep them warm.

scopes
12-09-2019, 11:49 AM
A chef friend recommended we start with the Victorinox Fibrox Pro knives and if we felt like they weren't enough he'd take us down the rabbit hole.

Started with the 8" and then purchased the 10" - they are a great utilitarian option. Maybe one day we'll splurge, but for now we are happy.

I'm learning knife skills and can practice sharpening on something that wont break the bank if I make a mess of it.

stackie
12-09-2019, 11:51 AM
I have Shun after having Wusthof. I like my Shuns and simply sharpen them myself with a stone. Not really that hard.

Most importantly, when gifting knives you must gift it with a penny. The penny is then given back as payment for the knife to avoid the bad luck associated with accepting a knife as a gift. Superstitious yes! Fun, yes!

Jon

45K10
12-09-2019, 11:52 AM
I came to post another recommendation for Wusthof but the photos of the guys with dog's on their legs to keep them warm is just awesome.

Gummee
12-09-2019, 12:01 PM
I just go to a restaurant supply store and get the knives they have. I have also bought spatulas etc. there. They have Victorinox knives with plain black handles. I bought my Chef knife, paring knives, deboning and bread knife a few decades ago. I have no complaints.

My little brother worked for TGIFriday's when he was in HS oh so many years ago. He inherited a basically no-name chef's knife with a broken tip. Love that thing. Still use it every time I cook something that needs to have stuff cut up.

In short $$ doesn't always = good to use

M

Ozz
12-09-2019, 12:27 PM

You can't go wrong with the Wustof....

I have a set of Henckels 4-star that I've had for 25+ yrs...

Also have KenOnion and Bob Kramer Shun/Kershaw chef's knives...very pretty, very sharp, great ergo....but my go to is still the Henckels 8" Chef for everyday chopping and cutting....totalworkhorse and equivalet to the Wusthof classic.

It will be a lifetime investment, so don't fret too much about the price.

jlwdm
12-09-2019, 01:33 PM
'Costco'???...righto..when you don't pay much for a chef's knife, you get a cheap chef's knife. yikes..

I have not looked at knives at Costco, but in general Costco sells quality items at good prices. Not cheap quality products.

Jeff

RKW
12-09-2019, 03:02 PM
Cut Brooklyn

/thread

http://cutbrooklyn.com/

cash05458
12-09-2019, 03:56 PM
People seem to sorta crap on them here abit but I like the Henckels stuff...for my needs they have been great...lived with a professional chef for years and he steered my towards buying a starter block set of them with the basics...cheaper that way...and then I could build it out over time which I did...the professional s stuff is great...like any of these things...bikes, cameras...you can go crazy via price and the slightest differences...but for a solid everyday set of knives, I think they have been great...

echelon_john
12-09-2019, 04:28 PM
Good review & fundamentals here from a reliable source.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e50gujs4l-I

I haven't used the Victorinox but for the $ it seems tough to beat, although it isn't a "special" knife in terms of gift giving...

ftf
12-09-2019, 05:27 PM
Good review & fundamentals here from a reliable source.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e50gujs4l-I

I haven't used the Victorinox but for the $ it seems tough to beat, although it isn't a "special" knife in terms of gift giving...

I have Wusthof classic knives, and have used the Victorinox knife, it's physically very large. For me the best knife I've used is the global knives, I have large hands, and they have small handles, but they feel great.

Spinner
12-10-2019, 08:47 AM
We have both Henckel and Wusthof and the visible difference between the two is the finish of the handle pieces. Many Henkel knives have black filler between the wood sections and the tang, whereas the Wusthof pieces have a finer finish with no filler.

I typically grab my 40+ year old stainless Case chef's knife when prepping foods. It can be difficult to sharpen, but is has great balance. I also love my Case serrated stainless knife which is perfect for cutting bread, tomatoes and other foods.

My absolute sharpest cutting device is a Village Blacksmith cleaver that is well over eighty years old. This piece can be easily sharpened to a razor's edge.

Mzilliox
12-10-2019, 09:53 AM
Cut Brooklyn

/thread

http://cutbrooklyn.com/

at those prices one can do much better i think.
Thats not entry level, thats the next step or 3 up in price.
One can get a very fine blade under $500
like this:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49199568657_7bbe225ac8_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2hXADF8)20191206_133950 (https://flic.kr/p/2hXADF8) by Matt.zilliox (https://www.flickr.com/photos/41573599@N06/), on Flickr

tuxbailey
12-10-2019, 03:11 PM
Late to this thread and not an expert on knives. But when I got the Victornox Fibrox Pro it was night and day. At $40 is a great purchase. Even if you have a very expensive knife, it would work well as a back up.

djg
12-11-2019, 07:18 AM
I have not looked at knives at Costco, but in general Costco sells quality items at good prices. Not cheap quality products.

Jeff

I'd say that's generally true, but they tend to sell full knife kits from the big manufacturers. There's nothing wrong with that, but if it's a good deal on a large selection of not quite the knives you want . . . maybe it's not a great deal any more.

I wouldn't tout anything exotic for somebody who doesn't already want it, and want the upkeep. I would tout finding a single chef knife of a profile, weight, and grip that feels good to the user -- needn't be a quest for somebody who doesn't want a quest. And a way to keep it sharp. And after that, sooner or later, meeting a perceived need, whether it's a paring knife, a bread knife (some cheap ones are just grand, btw), or a deba for that matter.

einreb
12-11-2019, 08:58 AM
My 2 cents and a variation of your original question...

We have an 8" Wusthof chef's knife, but it stayed in the block a lot more once we added a "Wusthof Grand Prix II 7 Hollow Ground Edge Santoku"

Lighter but still big with what seems to have more usable blade than the chefs knife. I like the grand prix handle in that it holds a good grip when wet.

-b

buddybikes
12-11-2019, 09:01 AM
Ok, now that we have blown our budget on nice knives, what do people use to sharpen (easily not taking hours)?

Hardlyrob
12-11-2019, 09:06 AM
I typically use an accusharp sharpener - looks like a cheap piece of plastic crap, but it works great - and it is cheap. If I have a damaged blade out come the water or oil stones from the woodworking shop to work a nick out of the blade.

RKW
12-11-2019, 09:08 AM
Ok, now that we have blown our budget on nice knives, what do people use to sharpen (easily not taking hours)?

https://www.amazon.com/Tri-Angle-Sharpening-Kit-Medium-Fine/dp/B00JHX512S

jimcav
12-11-2019, 11:15 AM

we have an older set (not vintage) of henkels--the kind of big dept store thing where you get a wooden block with 5 cooking knives and then 8 steak knives. it came with a little "pull through" sharpener thing (looks like little discs in there). it creates a very sharp but thin edge that chips easily. I never liked the knives much so recently saw a sale on a nice set of 7 fleischer and wolf knives on a magnet stand with a similar pull through thing, but it is not discs, and has a 'coarse' and 'fine' groove. It is much better, but i know i still need a honing steel. The F&W knives feel much better to me, and have stayed sharp longer. I've also paid attention to instructions and kept them out of the dishwasher.

Ozz
12-11-2019, 11:50 AM
Use a steel (hone) everytime (maybe a couple times) you use the knife.

With a good blade, you should only need to sharpen (i.e. remove metal to renew the edge) a couple times per year....unless you are a professional butcher or use a crappy cutting board.

I have a Chefs Choice (https://smile.amazon.com/ChefsChoice-AngleSelect-Sharpener-20-Degree-100-Percent/dp/B001CA5LZ6/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3K0N04IWMITY&keywords=chefs+choice+knife+sharpener&qid=1576087094&sprefix=chefs+choic%2Caps%2C204&sr=8-6)sharpener (does both Euro and Asian angles)...pretty idiot proof and not too expensive.

As stated above, never put in a dishwasher....

RKW
12-11-2019, 11:53 AM
Crappy cutting board.

This brings up a good point - buy a good quality cutting board - Boos or otherwise. NOT plastic and NOT bamboo

skiezo
12-12-2019, 06:28 AM
Most of my kitchen knives I order from Japan. I have both carbon and SS. I like the quality of the steel that they make and can be sharpened easily and stay sharp. My CS knives are the best knives that I have and get used on a daily basis. They do need to be washed and dried soon after use but the blade quality is unsurpassed. I spend roughly $50 per knife and they far surpass any of the SS offerings from the german knives.
you owe it to yourself to give one or two a try, I am sure that you will see the difference.

tsarpepe
12-12-2019, 08:45 AM
Just get the Wusthof and don't worry about the price. You are paying for the name because the name stands for quality. I've had the Wusthof Classic for years now and it's as great as when I first opened the package. If you take care of it, this thing will outlive you and your children. Worth a hundred bucks? I'd say so.

skiezo
12-12-2019, 08:54 AM
I use a Nakiri knife most of the time. I have both CS and SS. It is a japanese vegetable knife.
Check out this ebay store in Japan. The quality is top notch and they have many different types of steel.
http://www.ebaystores.com/GEKKO-KNIVES
I have one like this and all I can say is wow.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kanetsune-Japanese-Kitchen-Chef-Knife-Aogami-Blue-Steel-Hammered-Nashiji-Gyuto/254106036519?hash=item3b29e66927:g:zjEAAOSwkelcVSI z
Do a search of blue steel,white steel and layered steel on the web.
I find the balance and ability to stay sharp and take a edge is better that some of my German and Swiss steels.

Mzilliox
12-12-2019, 09:00 AM

do you want a knife that seems sharp and is kind of sharp for a bit but not really?
get one of those weird things.

or do you want a safe and really sharp knife?

a 1000 grit stone is the best thing to sharpen with. its not difficult, its not that time consuming, and the time is does take is medatative. its a fun skill to learn, and there is no comparing to a knife sharpened with any other home method. no compare. i use a 2k and a 5k as well, but only because i like to, the 1k gets it arm hair shaving sharp.

sharpen on the stone to correct the edge of your blade. maybe once every couple of months. then use a leather strop to keep the edge keen. lots of people use a steel, but ive found a leather strop to be superior to a steel for honing my edges before use. a ceramic honing rod would also be better than steel.

if you cook as much as i do, all of this work is pleasant, and very useful. a couple good knives are your best friend in the kitchen. dull knives are how folks get hurt.

Mzilliox
12-12-2019, 09:05 AM
I use a Nakiri knife most of the time. I have both CS and SS. It is a japanese vegetable knife.
Check out this ebay store in Japan. The quality is top notch and they have many different types of steel.
http://www.ebaystores.com/GEKKO-KNIVES
I have one like this and all I can say is wow.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kanetsune-Japanese-Kitchen-Chef-Knife-Aogami-Blue-Steel-Hammered-Nashiji-Gyuto/254106036519?hash=item3b29e66927:g:zjEAAOSwkelcVSI z
Do a search of blue steel,white steel and layered steel on the web.
I find the balance and ability to stay sharp and take a edge is better that some of my German and Swiss steels.

this man knows a knife. :banana::banana:
aogami blue steel is probably the best material for a knife, but it has to be cared for as its not stainless. so people avoid this material, knowing they cant leave it wet, or toss it in a drawer, as it may patina or rust. of course patina is just fine.

but very few steels hold a finer edge than aogami blue.

skiezo
12-12-2019, 09:21 AM
I use a Jewelstick most of the time to do my sharpening. I have a 2 sided/2 grit stick for maintaining the edge. A few times a year I break out the wet stones and do a nice edge and polish on the edges. No need for an electric sharpener with a quality steel blade, Just maintain the edge and a few times a year clean it up with quality japanese wet stones. Takes a few minutes per knife. Just get a bevel guide and easy peasy.
My slicer is a single bevel carbon blade and I can slice paper thin with that thing.
I have to take my knives to my in-laws as they think there cutco knives are the next greatest thing.
Here are my go to knives that I use on a constant basis. I do use a hard edge grain cutting board as well.
https://i.imgur.com/R9jIcYfl.jpg

huck*this
12-12-2019, 09:23 AM
I have been a Shun user for some time. Have a 10" BLUE Steel KIRITSUKE that I use the most and an 8" Santoko my wife uses. Shun handle works best for me. Pinch grip, and surprised during all this chat about knives that the board or cutting surface you are using was not talked about.

End grain cutting board all day long. Nothing else is used on my knives. The feel is so nice and it is kinder to the edge of your knife.

oldpotatoe
12-12-2019, 09:51 AM
I have this for anybody that wants it for shipping

It's CERAMIC(oooo-ahhh). Good for bikes, good for fish...

Says 'YoshiBlade' on it.