PDA

View Full Version : Pet choices - help me!

d_douglas
12-07-2019, 05:16 PM
I am a cat guy. I had a cat from 23-43 and when she died at 20, we have toddlers and decided to take a break. Now at 8 and 10 yrs old, we think our kids are ready for a pet.

I love both dogs and cats, but cats are easier to care for, so this is what i default to. The others are wearing me down, but that might not be a bad thing. Having a small creature demanding walks might be a good thing for all of us, knowing that 95% of the responsibility will be to myself and my wife for a few years at least.

First question : dog or cat?! Tell me why.

Second question: if dog, then what breed?

I want a small to medium sized dog that is incredibly well mannered and quietish. We both work, so we need a dog that doesn’t destroy the house while we are away. Yes, 8hrs is a long time for a dog, but soon my kids will be coming home at 315 and they’ll be able to take him/her out for a walk. A Dog walker is an expensive, but viable option.

Everyone raves about poodles and ladbrdoodles, but I find them ugly. I know - shallow - but I want a cute dog. I also know the gold standard is a golden retriever, but there are too many of them !

A sketchy little dog like a blue heeler is what I find cute, but they seem to have a rep for going crazy if not getting enough exercise.

What are your thoughts.?

SpaceOdyssey
12-07-2019, 05:25 PM
For us it was always dog or cats

Never a solo cat - they can keep each other company

But also, for the last 30 years we have had a dog and 2-3 cats with only short gaps after a pets passing.

Dogs are more people reliant and generally do better with lots of human interaction. Cats are way more independent.

I would go shelter dog with 2 kids your age. Visit the local shelter, play with the puppies. See who bonds with your kids.

That will be the one who gets you as their “Forever Family”

Robot870
12-07-2019, 05:26 PM
I have a beagle and he's the sweetest thing ever! I suggest going to a shelter with the family and just looking around......you never know what might happen......

XXtwindad
12-07-2019, 05:26 PM
First order of business: The Grail Crumpton
Second order of business: A Boxer

old_fat_and_slow
12-07-2019, 05:29 PM
Labrador Retriever - You can thank me later.

bianchi10
12-07-2019, 05:32 PM
You lost me at "I'm a cat guy" :p

I would agree that cats are more self sufficient and not as much of a hassle when it comes time for family vacations or leaving for weekends. However, I think having a dog would be more fun for the kids. In my experience, dogs just want to love love love, which is great for the family. Kittens can be cute, but because of the personalities of (most) cats, I find that kids tend to forget about the cats more because they aren't as dependent on your attention.

If you are looking for a smaller dog, I would recommend 2 breeds

1)Yorkie - Super cute, hypoallergenic and don't shed. We have a Yorkie and they are full of personality. Get one as a puppy and even as they get to full size adults they are still so small that its like having a dog stay a puppy its entire life. My Yorkie is about 8lbs

2)Lasso-poo (Lasso Opso/Poodle mix) - Dont think they are hypoallergenic, however they also do not shed. We have a lasso Opso and she is 15 years old. Most people think she still looks like she is 3 or 4. she is about 10lbs

I grew up with REAL dogs. Had a couple black labs and golden retriever's. They were amazing. My wife is scared of big dogs and did not want one around the house. Since I lived with my dad and it was basically a bachelor pad, I never realized just how much hair was around the house till I moved out and found out what life was like without a shedding dog around. The wife wanted a SMALL dog because she grew up with a Poodle. I hate poodles. I despise poodles. I didn't want a "Yipper". Did a ton of research and when I came across the Lasso-Poo mix I fell in love. I like it because they have all the traits of a poodle which is the non shedding, but most of them dont end up looking like a poodle, they just look like little fur ball puppies their entire life.

I will most likely never have a big dog again. Having a small dog suites my life so much better. They both sleep with us, they drive around with us, they snuggle on our laps or shoulders. All the things BIG dogs try to do also, but lets face it, having a 120lbs dog think they are a lap dog isn't very comfy :D

That's my 2 cents anyway.

Hilltopperny
12-07-2019, 05:35 PM
We have an Olde English Bulldog. They acclimate well to the household they are in and ours is very good with our 1.5 year old boy and teenage daughter. She does not bark often, doesn’t chew things up and is generally well behaved and does not require much exercise, but can handle it if need be. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191207/f6295ba4e8edbe3f6e463ce5408b715b.jpghttps://IMG][IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191207/568031122f7aba581658d63b6318ae5d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpritchet74
12-07-2019, 05:37 PM
We have a black lab / aussie shepherd mix and she's a great medium size dog and amazing with our kids. Very obedient too. We never really had to train her either.

XXtwindad
12-07-2019, 05:37 PM
You lost me at "I'm a cat guy" :p

I think having a dog would be more fun for the kids. I would agree that cats are more self sufficient and not as much of a hassle when it comes time for family vacations or leaving for weekends. However, I think having a dog would be more fun for the kids. In my experience, dogs just want to love love love, which is great for the family. Kittens can be cute, but because of the personalities of (most) cats, I find that kids tend to forget about the cats more because they aren't as dependent on your attention.

If you are looking for a smaller dog, I would recommend 2 breeds

1)Yorkie - Super cute, hypoallergenic and don't shed. We have a Yorkie and they are full of personality. Get one as a puppy and even as they get to full size adults they are still so small that its like having a dog stay a puppy its entire life.

2)Lasso-poo (Lasso Opso/Poodle mix) - Dont think they are hypoallergenic, however they also do not shed. We have a lasso Opso and she is 15 years old. Most people think she still looks like she is 3 or 4.

I grew up with REAL dogs. Had a couple black labs and golden retriever's. They were amazing. My wife is scared of big dogs and did not want one around the house. Since I lived with my dad and it was basically a bachelor pad, I never realized just how much hair was around the house till I moved out and found out what life was like without a shedding dog around. The wife wanted a SMALL dog because she grew up with a Poodle. I hate poodles. I despise poodles. I didn't want a "Yipper". Did a ton of research and when I came across the Lasso-Poo mix I fell in love. I like it because they have all the traits of a poodle which is the non shedding, but most of them dont end up looking like a poodle, they just look like little fur ball puppies their entire life.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

C'mon Man. A little all black poodle with a black collar and a black picnic basket with a little black bell on your "Black Betty" Spec. How cute would that be... :)

Veloo
12-07-2019, 05:40 PM
Only ever had dogs but open to having a cat.

Do you want to be active with the dog - running, mountain biking? If so then I'd go medium instead of small.

Short snout can mean breathing challenges so not as much aerobic endurance.

Small doesn't equate to less work. Small seems to mean more dental issues since it's harder to get into those tiny mouths to keep them clean.

Then do you want a shedder or hypoallergenic? Hypo means regular visits to a groomer.

I'll also recommend rescue over buying of course. And that doesn't have to mean a problematic dog.

There are actually some very cute poodle mixes out there.

Got a 20 lbs shih-tzu right now. Was never super athletic. Sometimes I wish I had a canine companion to keep me company on runs. I'd take the neighbour's golden retriever but he's had some hip problems that I wouldn't wanna make worse.

bianchi10
C'mon Man. A little all black poodle with a black collar and a black picnic basket with a little black bell on your "Black Betty" Spec. How cute would that be... :)

:D Haha that would be pretty epic!

Robot870
Lol ^

FlashUNC
12-07-2019, 05:47 PM
Find the shelter dog you connect best with. Go have fun. Adopt, don't shop.

Elefantino
12-07-2019, 05:57 PM
Retired greyhounds make great pets. Get one that is cat-friendly and have one of each.

gbcoupe
12-07-2019, 06:00 PM

This, if you want a dog. Actually in my experience 2 is better. No more trouble than 1 and keep each other company while you're away.

If you like cats better, that'll work too. They're a little less work than dogs. Adopt an adult or kitten. Plenty of them around. We have a couple odd balls, but for the most part have been blessed with very good personalities.

Ken Robb
12-07-2019, 06:12 PM
I have had cats and dogs and cats and dogs at the same time and I loved them all but--- our small dogs are like having cats that come when we call them. :-)

My last 2 dogs before I met Leslie were a pointer and a Lab. The Lab was a much better pet because the pointer wouldn't stay home when we were away. A six foot fence was no challenge for her at all. My Lab was always happy to stay home with or without company.

When I met Les she had 2 bichon frises she got as puppies from a breeder. They were nice and cute and they lived to be 16 and 17 years old. No shedding and hypo-allergenic.

Then we got Eric from the pound at 4-5 years of age. He's a malti-poo and has been a wonderful family member right from the start with ZERO "accidents" in the house. He's ten years old will play fetch until my arm gets tired.

Annie was picked up wild, matted, flea-infested out in coyote country and no body knows how she wasn't eaten. She might be a shi-tzu with a too-long nose a havanese, or some mix with a maltese. She is more independent than Eric but evem MORE loving to everyone she meets. Unlike Eric, Annie does shed a little. She required a couple of months to learn that going into the music room was not the same as going outside. OTOH we don't know that she had ever been inside a home before she was rescued from the pound so that was really pretty good learning for an 11 month old puppy. Both dogs weigh 13-14 pounds

You might want to check with local rescue groups that specialize in the type/size dog you think you want. They usually get to know the dogs they rescue and can help you get a dog that will fit in with your family. When you go to the pound and have no previous experience with dogs you might make a sub-optimum choice.

It takes a pretty big kid to control a 50 pound dog which might have a mind of its own so some thing 20 pounds or less may be a good idea.

Spaghetti Legs
12-07-2019, 06:14 PM
I am not a cat guy. I am totally fine picking up dog crap if a litter box is the alternative.

My suggestion is pound puppy. If you find one that answers to its name, better yet, answer to a sit or other simple command, the transition will be easiest. My wife and I have had two rescue dogs over 22 years. The first one, Otis, was a nervous wreck (wife insisted on him) but, after a lot of work, he settled in and was a member of our family for 12 years. Bella has been with us since and I couldn’t imagine a more loyal dog than her.

Ken Robb
12-07-2019, 06:25 PM
When we just had Eric the malti-poo Leslie suggests we think about getting a cat as well. When I pointed out that there was no good place in our condo for a litter box that idea was over. So we got adopted by Annie. If you are going to walk one dog it's not much more work to have another along too.

2LeftCleats
12-07-2019, 06:58 PM
Kind of a Shimano/Campy debate. Don’t know how to put SRAM into this metaphor—maybe fish?

Had/have both. Cats are cool but I think dogs are more fun. Easier to ignore a cat than a dog if you’re overwhelmed by kids and job.

gbcoupe
12-07-2019, 07:01 PM
Kind of a Shimano/Campy debate. Don’t know how to put SRAM into this metaphor—maybe fish?

Had/have both. Cats are cool but I think dogs are more fun. Easier to ignore a cat than a dog if you’re overwhelmed by kids and job.

Ouch. Well, my fish talk to me.

colker
12-07-2019, 07:37 PM
I like shepperds. Any kind of shepperd. I have had dogs around all my life and feel that shepperds take it to another level: fun and loving but also have this deep sense of responsability over people and home. They are deep, intense. If you can find a mix bread shepperd in a shelter try to empathize and maybe take her him home. Good luck.

d_douglas
12-07-2019, 07:39 PM

Yeah, our lives are pretty full right now, so less stress would be good. I know we are taking on more with any pet and I accept that though.

My wife’s bestie just got a puppy and while she said it’s lots of work and makes their lives crazier, she’s super happy with the choice and she wasn’t previously a pet person. She told us to leap in!

SRAM - funny thing is that I am looking for a cheap SRAM group for the first time in many many years!!

rwsaunders
12-07-2019, 07:49 PM
Fish...seriously.

gbcoupe
12-07-2019, 07:58 PM
Fish...seriously.

I meant "my fish" as being Sram... fish are decorations/distractions, not pets.
While I used to have fish and enjoyed having them. I really like Sram and use it all the time.

jtakeda
12-07-2019, 07:59 PM
You never mentioned how large your yard/property is which I think is the #1 factor for "what kind of dog is best for me". Also enclosed fence?

Also before answering we need to know if youre planning on getting an adult dog or a puppy.

Hellgate
12-07-2019, 08:02 PM
Bassett hound. Absolutely the best dog with kids. Loyal, protective, friendly and very gentle. I've had three over the years. Wonderful animals.

rwsaunders
12-07-2019, 08:03 PM
I meant "my fish" as being Sram... fish are decorations/distractions, not pets.
While I used to have fish and enjoyed having them. I really like Sram and use it all the time.

No...I meant fish...seriously. My Tetras Fred and Felicity are 8 years old and require a daily feeding and a monthly tank cleaning. They are very attentive and loyal to boot.

Matthew
12-07-2019, 08:12 PM
Whatever you decide, absolutely adopt one from a shelter. I personally prefer cats. We have 7. Yup, 7. Love them all to death. All different looking but with great personalities. Want to go out of town? No problem. They are pretty self sufficient as you know. I like dogs too, just feel cats fit our lifestyle better right now.

dustyrider
12-07-2019, 08:18 PM
Dog. The care the dog requires is its own reward whereas a cat’s requirements don’t bring nearly the same amount of joy.

Heelers are amazing dogs. Mine will be 16 in Feb. They are an untapped alternative energy source when they’re younger, but with plenty of work they’ll serve you well. Any working dog for that matter makes for a great companion. I’ve always liked Italian greyhounds and fox terriers. Though I have never interacted with them as young dogs. Recently I ran into a German wire haired pointer and couldn’t believe how well mannered and intelligent the dog was, but working dogs put to work are incredible animals.

Make sure to involve everyone in the journey!

gbcoupe
12-07-2019, 08:19 PM
Whatever you decide, absolutely adopt one from a shelter. I personally prefer cats. We have 7. Yup, 7. Love them all to death. All different looking but with great personalities. Want to go out of town? No problem. They are pretty self sufficient as you know. I like dogs too, just feel cats fit our lifestyle better right now.

I feel better now. We have 5, all dumped and adopted. Wife is a DVM, but I'm the sucker.
Haven't had dogs in ~ 10 years. I miss them but honestly, it's kinda nice not having the responsibility. One was just the greatest...

Elefantino
12-07-2019, 08:22 PM
We had a cat and a fish tank. One day the cat figured out how to remove the cover to the fish tank.

We came home to an empty fish tank.

d_douglas
12-07-2019, 09:08 PM

Damn, that is a tough call. I would take the Crumpton though. My wife would hate that I said that.

Ironically, Boxers are a family fixture for us. My sister and her hubby have owned boxers for the past 25years. They're awesome and I have a soft spot, but they are pretty short-lived characters, and drool like crazy, so mu'lady has vowed no to them.

Same goes for Boston Terriers (my sisters only diversion from a Boxer) and Pugs (which I love, but same health issues bump them off the list.

Basically, as everyone says, just go to a shelter and see what dog appeals to us and go from there. As my neighbours with a dodgy Mexican street dog say, you grow to love their looks when you love their personality!

PS any 58cm Crumptons kicking around :banana: ???

Yoshi
12-07-2019, 09:17 PM
Maine Coon Cat.
Huge personality.
Some think they are a dog. Or a human. They will actually talk to you. Will run the house if you let them.
Mine scared off dogs 10 times his size that tried to get near his zone.
He even ran off a large buck that came into the back yard. Raccoons, opossum, porcupine, no problem.
Amazing animal. Eliminated every mouse and vole for miles around.
They completely take care of themselves.
Best pet evah.

ls1togo
12-07-2019, 10:49 PM
mini Golden Doodle..45 pounds, no shedding, great disposition, smart!

Matthew
12-07-2019, 11:04 PM
Yeah gbcoupe, I'm a sucker for cats too after having grown up with only dogs. We actually had 8 but adopted her out as she was better off in a single pet home. The rest are awesome and so cool. Got two on my lap as I type! My wife says I can no longer go to the local shelter because twice I've brought kittens home after going there to donate food!

d_douglas
12-07-2019, 11:05 PM
Maine Coon Cat.
Huge personality.
Some think they are a dog. Or a human. They will actually talk to you. Will run the house if you let them.
Mine scared off dogs 10 times his size that tried to get near his zone.
He even ran off a large buck that came into the back yard. Raccoons, opossum, porcupine, no problem.
Amazing animal. Eliminated every mouse and vole for miles around.
They completely take care of themselves.
Best pet evah.

Awesome - that’s the cat that we adored for 20yrs! I need to get a different breed just because...

Elefantino
12-08-2019, 05:16 AM
This is Tebow. She won 46 of 203 races.

She has 6 beds in our house now and makes use of all of them.

oldguy00
12-08-2019, 05:57 AM
Its probably natural for everyone to post the dog (or cat) breed that they own. :)

Here's my 2 cents...

I grew up having miniture (middle size) poodles, and a standard size dachshund.

Then fast forward 20 years, married with kids, no pets, our friends turned us on to Greyhounds and providing foster care for them while they are adopted out in retirement.
After 4 years of doing that off and on, our daughter wanted a small dog she could pick up, and I got outvoted, and we ended up getting a Yorkie.

The Yorkie is nice, but my overall pick would be a greyhound.

Watch some youtube videos. They are very very easy to care for. Despite their racing pedigree, they are TOTAL couch potatoes and sleep up to 18 hours per day. Very little shedding, often practically house trained when retired around age 4 for adoption.

We may still adopt a greyhound to go with the yorkie.

tuscanyswe
12-08-2019, 05:58 AM

Thats just to damn cute. How could i ever walk away

oldguy00

Ha, I didn't even see this post before I just posted my comments!!! Greyhounds for the win!! I love them so much. We've fostered 6 of them, we love the brindles.

sokyroadie
I am a cat person, we currently have a Manx (no tail) she is extremely loving and good with the grand-kids. She is a shelter rescue. A neighbor has (2) Great Danes a brother and sister and they too are great with kids, the male weighs 160# and loves attention.

slambers3
12-08-2019, 06:11 AM

We’ve had a retired grey for 3 years. He took a little bit of time to warm up to me but is the best dog I’ve ever had.

oldpotatoe
12-08-2019, 06:15 AM
I'm a cat guy too and have had some VERY affectionate, engaged, great cats.
BUT, are the 8 and 10yo gonna 'play' with the dog? Be outside, be engaged?
Back yard? Where dog poops? Kids or you gonna clean it up? Kids play back there? Sometimes in bare feet?

Something to consider. If they want a 'play buddy', I'd say a dog(no idea about breed-see 'cat guy' above)..If not, I'd say get 2 cats..

Gotta say tho, I'm taking a break after losing my last cat, before losing his brother 2 years earlier..VERY hard, still hurts. Pets just don't last that long..

PLUS-if cats, PLEASE keep them inside..or if outside, with some human..Seen too many cats get hurt or killed around here(neighbor just lost one of his REALLY beautiful yellow cats(a brother also) to a raccoon, found him badly injured..not fair..)...

BryanE
12-08-2019, 06:46 AM
Small, medium or large?
Gus the Rat Terrier.
Tootsie the Boxer.
Samantha the Rotty/Lab mix.
All special and very cool.

Gus was a typical Ratter. Didn't take well to strangers. Fiercely loyal. Very smart, easy to house train. If you want a 18 pound lap dog that thinks he is a Mastiff do it. They're fun.
Tootsie.......well if you've never had a Boxer you should do a little reading. They are a very special breed and not for everyone.it took a long time to housebreak her but I'm very glad we kept her. There are a lot of Boxer rescue places.

Samantha the Wonder Dog. I forgot to tell her she was a dog when we got her. The smartest dog I've ever had. Very special.

cash05458
12-08-2019, 06:57 AM
Well, I am both a cat and a dog guy...we actually have 8 cats here...all homeless strays that showed up at our door and we just can't say no...at this point I am starting to believe the homeless cats must have an app that tells them to come to our place...anyhow...

Given your description, I would personally go with a small dog...large dogs take much much more work and time...they really do...I have always been a large dog guy my whole life but when our last went...an aussie shep named Cash...we decided to try a small dog...and got a shelter guy we named Jasper...he had been abandoned twice on highway rest stops...maybe 20 pounds...a black shaggy terrier mix...and hands down he is the best dog I have ever had...of course we all say that via loving them...but I would never go back to a large dog...Jasper has all the attributes of a large dog, total personality and intelligence but is so much easier to take care of...and as for breeds, I would go with a mixed or as they say mongrel...inbreeding really does lead to problems with some of these dogs...and go for a shelter one...the dog will appreciate you and your good family foreever and show it back in spades...that isn't just a cliche either, it is very true.

gavingould
12-08-2019, 07:10 AM
Retired greyhounds make great pets. Get one that is cat-friendly and have one of each.

^ this. they are physically large but honestly, act more like cats. had a 75lb male retired greyhound for 8 years in a 1bedroom apartment with my wife.

generally very quiet as a breed and they sleep most of the time - 3x 10-15 minute walks a day and they're perfectly happy. if you have a fenced yard they can run they'll love it but most of the time they just want to amble around and nap.

oldpotatoe
12-08-2019, 07:27 AM
Well, I am both a cat and a dog guy...we actually have 8 cats here...all homeless strays that showed up at our door and we just can't say no...at this point I am starting to believe the homeless cats must have an app that tells them to come to our place...anyhow...

...we decided to try a small dog...and got a shelter guy we named Jasper...he had been abandoned twice on highway rest stops...maybe 20 pounds...a black shaggy terrier mix...and hands down he is the best dog I have ever had...of course we all say that via loving them...and as for breeds, I would go with a mixed or as they say mongrel...inbreeding really does lead to problems with some of these dogs...and go for a shelter one...the dog will appreciate you and your good family foreever and show it back in spades...that isn't just a cliche either, it is very true.

Good on you cash..GOOD for you...I can't even watch those TV ads of pitiful, abandoned and treated poorly cats and dogs..They are so innocent..all of them..GOOD for you!!

gbcoupe
12-08-2019, 07:52 AM

Tebow is beautiful and looks to need a dental!

Grey's are great dogs but the OP'r is in Victoria, BC. These guy's do get cold easily.

I would start with a cat and then maybe go from there.

cash05458
12-08-2019, 08:02 AM
Good on you cash..GOOD for you...I can't even watch those TV ads of pitiful, abandoned and treated poorly cats and dogs..They are so innocent..all of them..GOOD for you!!

ah, thanks Peter...very sweet of you to say that...means a lot to me coming from you! And I really agree with you on your post about keeping them inside if you can...too many things out there...we live way out in the country, very seemingly safe and my favorite cat ever, Finn, insisted on being outside as he was a total hunter...and he somehow got hit...it still tears me up a bit 5 years on...

arimajol
12-08-2019, 08:54 AM
Definitely recommend rescue dogs as well. They're tend to be so much healthier than the pure ones.

And just to add to the "keep cats inside" team, cats have big impacts on migratory bird populations. And the feral outdoor cats my neighbors fees drive my dogs bonkers.

makoti
12-08-2019, 08:56 AM
Always rescue, dog, cat, bird, other. Always. From a shelter or a group. Save a life, make yours better.
Personally, I'm a dog guy & a small dog guy at that. Somehow I ended up with Pekingeses' for most of my adult life. Never would have thought that would be "my" breed, but they fit my life & are just wonderful little dogs. Every one I've had has been good with kids, strangers, other dogs, and not barky (at least, not unless someone comes in & feels the need to prove they are barky).
Get what fits your lifestyle, but be prepared to give the animal time to adjust. I've heard it takes 3-6 months for an abused or abandoned animal to fully adjust to their new life. Give them & yourself time.
Enjoy our new friend!

buddybikes
12-08-2019, 09:30 AM
2 dogs, cat, parrot (eclectus - 22 years old). I have been a bird person since 1970.

Dogs of course are hardest for vacations. Cats just toss them some food and they are fine, you are visitors to a cat not the otherway around.

Dogs have a special bond with kids. Our 28 year old daughter, living on her own for 5 years considers the dogs hers.

I will cry for an afternoonwhen our 15 year cat goes
I will cry for a month when our dogs and eleclectus go

Elefantino
12-08-2019, 09:51 AM

Grey's are great dogs but the OP'r is in Victoria, BC. These guy's do get cold easily.

We brush her teeth every night (beef flavor). Vet says she's yellow but fine! And she loves the "teeth time."

verticaldoug
12-08-2019, 09:56 AM
A pomsky

http://www.vetstreet.com/dogs/pomsky

https://www.google.com/search?q=pomsky&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjEyv6NtqbmAhUlolwKHSQLCm0Q_AUoAXoECA8QA w&biw=1024&bih=1176

if you want cute

gbcoupe
12-08-2019, 10:02 AM
We brush her teeth every night (beef flavor). Vet says she's yellow but fine! And she loves the "teeth time."

Good good.

I really miss my Grey/Boxer mix. Best dog I ever had. One of these days we'll get another.

RFC
12-08-2019, 10:03 AM
I've been a pet guy all of my life -- dogs, cats, fish and reptiles. I presently have 3 Sulcata Tortoises in my backyard.

My best dog ever was a Canaan Dog. So smart and personable with a variety of voices for real communication. My sons considered him the third brother.

My cats have all been very personable and wanted to be with me. Presently, I'm down to one cat. Since I work out of my home office, she sits in the chair beside me all day and vocally complains when I don't give her enough attention. When I get up to get a cup of coffee, she follows me around the house.

I use to be an advocate of outdoor cats. Keeps them in better shape and allows them to follow their hunting instincts. But I've changed my mind and now keep them inside. First, there are plenty of coyotes and bobcats in my neighborhood (I like having them around) and they do take cats. Second, cats are natural born killers and decimate bird populations. See here:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/moral-cost-of-cats-180960505/

OtayBW
12-08-2019, 10:05 AM
I like shepperds. Any kind of shepperd. I have had dogs around all my life and feel that shepperds take it to another level: fun and loving but also have this deep sense of responsability over people and home. They are deep, intense. If you can find a mix bread shepperd in a shelter try to empathize and maybe take her him home. Good luck.

Same for me. Get a GSD and have a devoted and deeply loyal family friend for life.

enr1co
12-08-2019, 10:14 AM
Damn, that is a tough call. I would take the Crumpton though
I’d give up any grail bike for our golden retriever to be with us another ten years.

XXtwindad
12-08-2019, 10:22 AM
I’d give up any grail bike for our golden retriever to be with us another ten years.

A bit of sarcasm on the OPs part. I'm sure he feels similarly about the pets he's had.

For the Forum members that have kids: is there an ideal age to introduce them to a pet? (If the circumstances were right it would be a dog) Also, what benefits do you feel having a pet gives children in terms of things like emotional growth?

I ask because this subject has come up several times with my Partner and myself.

cash05458
12-08-2019, 10:34 AM
A bit of sarcasm on the OPs part. I'm sure he feels similarly about the pets he's had.

For the Forum members that have kids: is there an ideal age to introduce them to a pet? (If the circumstances were right it would be a dog) Also, what benefits do you feel having a pet gives children in terms of things like emotional growth?

I ask because this subject has come up several times with my Partner and myself.

I personally think any age is fine...and yes, growing up with animals is very important and enriching for kids...too many good things to list...but learning about love and kindness and empathy and getting it back in return is something very real and it's a good thing that those lessons don't simply come from only the parents...I can't imagine my childhood without my dogs back then...very important stuff...

d_douglas
12-08-2019, 10:35 AM

Funnily enough, there’s a greyhound directly across the street from me. He’s elderly and has trouble walking, but his owners have him out faithfully. They love him. I actually have t seen him lately, which makes me wonder if he’s recently passed away :(

As for victoria, it doesn’t get too cold here. It’s like Seattle.

I saw a photo of a Pomsky last night - he’s cute! But we will likely find a nice dog at the shelter as many have suggested.

Dekonick
12-08-2019, 11:32 AM
A rescue. :banana:

Definitely a rescue.

Older dogs make fantastic pets.

Ask the shelter - they know the animals. Everyone wants a puppy, but the older dog will forever be thankful and be a life long faithful companion.

Best!

D.

Jad
12-08-2019, 11:51 AM
I'm a cat guy too and have had some VERY affectionate, engaged, great cats.
BUT, are the 8 and 10yo gonna 'play' with the dog? Be outside, be engaged?
Back yard? Where dog poops? Kids or you gonna clean it up? Kids play back there? Sometimes in bare feet?

Something to consider. If they want a 'play buddy', I'd say a dog(no idea about breed-see 'cat guy' above)..If not, I'd say get 2 cats..

Gotta say tho, I'm taking a break after losing my last cat, before losing his brother 2 years earlier..VERY hard, still hurts. Pets just don't last that long..

PLUS-if cats, PLEASE keep them inside..or if outside, with some human..Seen too many cats get hurt or killed around here(neighbor just lost one of his REALLY beautiful yellow cats(a brother also) to a raccoon, found him badly injured..not fair..)...

Yeah--I'm on a break too; I had one female tortoiseshell for ~15 years and a big calico tom for 20! They add so much much and it's hard to lose them.

I'll echo the "please keep them inside" sentiment. For all the reasons you mention definitely, but also because of just how good cats are at hunting. Pet cats' and feral cats' impacts on birds and other animals can be significant (and I think that's an understatement). Please, if you choose a cat as a pet, read up on the justified reasons to keep them indoors.

Veloo
12-08-2019, 11:57 AM
Don't forget the (professional) trainer too if you get a dog.
I don't recommend the PetSmart classes.

d_douglas
12-08-2019, 12:52 PM
Yes, we have a small back yard. It’s a single family dwelling in a beautiful walkable neighbourhood, but the yard is small, so poop patrol would be critical :)

I don’t have a clue how we could keep cats inside with two kids controlling the gates, but hey, it’s possible. I know my next door neighbours cats are frequently seen terrorizing squirrels and birds. They’re big young and tough and are truly the thugs of the hood. Nice friendly cats, but destroying the small animal population

providence
12-08-2019, 02:04 PM
I have a blue heeler/Australian cattledog. He’s 10 months and is by far the quickest dog I or my family have ever had at picking up training. Incredibly smart and attentive dog. We got him at 3 months and in a week and a half he was house broken with no accidents since. Could not recommend the breed enough but they need serious attention.

Every morning we are on a walk with him before work. We come home and do the same 2mi walk. Then spend another hour or so playing frisbee or teaching new tricks. If he does not get the physical and mental workout he will find other outlets... He’s great with kids and other dogs but it took some doing to get there. These dogs are known to nip so you have to train them out of it. We do not have kids so if you do, be leery of having them run around the dog until you can work on the instinct to chase and nip at legs.

My parents have his brother from the same litter so they see each other often. Between the two of them, you can see what happens when you get a little too lax at certain aspects of training. They are extremely strong willed and it will take some getting used to if you’ve had other dogs/pets.

Even with all of this, I will likely never get another breed.

prototoast
12-08-2019, 02:08 PM
Go big or go home.

Ralph
12-08-2019, 02:38 PM
A beagle mix from the shelter. Or whatever your kids fall for there. Took my kids to the shelter to find an Alaskan Malamute or similar. They almost immediately fell for this beagle puppy….and named her Alaskan. She lived well for 14 years. She liked everyone in the family....but she was my dog. If I was home....she was always with me. Could take her out with voice control only. Great disposition. She rests in our back yard....and the family still talks to her. When my grown kids come by for a visit....they go to the back yard and say a few words to Alaskan. Still miss her. Chokes me up thinking about her.

Philly4eyes
12-08-2019, 03:53 PM
Rescue dog or cat. No purebred nonsense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NHAero
12-08-2019, 04:02 PM
It's really satisfying to get a rescue and make one critter's life better. This little girl is 35 pounds, and is Aussie Cattle Dog, Border Collie, and Rat Terrier. Really smart, very spirited, and very sweet. Does best with a lot of exercise and goes through chew toys on a regular basis. :) Olympic level catcher of frisbees! She has been with us almost 10 months now.

RFC
12-08-2019, 04:06 PM
Another good reason for getting your kids a pet is herd immunity. Experts on the human biome say that one of the best ways to improve your immune system is to stick your face in your pet's fur and inhale. It's well established that farm raised children have better immune systems than their city raised counterparts.:)

RFC
12-08-2019, 04:08 PM
I have a blue heeler/Australian cattledog. He’s 10 months and is by far the quickest dog I or my family have ever had at picking up training. Incredibly smart and attentive dog. We got him at 3 months and in a week and a half he was house broken with no accidents since. Could not recommend the breed enough but they need serious attention.

Every morning we are on a walk with him before work. We come home and do the same 2mi walk. Then spend another hour or so playing frisbee or teaching new tricks. If he does not get the physical and mental workout he will find other outlets... He’s great with kids and other dogs but it took some doing to get there. These dogs are known to nip so you have to train them out of it. We do not have kids so if you do, be leery of having them run around the dog until you can work on the instinct to chase and nip at legs.

My parents have his brother from the same litter so they see each other often. Between the two of them, you can see what happens when you get a little too lax at certain aspects of training. They are extremely strong willed and it will take some getting used to if you’ve had other dogs/pets.

Even with all of this, I will likely never get another breed.

You are dead on about cattle dogs. I sister has had several. Very smart and intense, and you don't want to let them get bored.

gbcoupe
12-08-2019, 04:10 PM
It's really satisfying to get a rescue and make one critter's life better. This little girl is 35 pounds, and is Aussie Cattle Dog, Border Collie, and Rat Terrier. Really smart, very spirited, and very sweet. Does best with a lot of exercise and goes through chew toys on a regular basis. :) Olympic level catcher of frisbees! She has been with us almost 10 months now.

Good looking dog. As long as they haven't had previous owners that have totally f'd em up, mixed breed dogs are the way to go. Way less issues with inbreeding and usually a more balanced disposition.

Aaron O
12-08-2019, 04:20 PM
I’m more a cat person. I got my girl when she was about a month old...and she was a solo kitten for about a year. She was then moved into a home with two other cats, and she was happier solo. She gets along ok with male cats, but she didn’t with the two females she lived with. She’s been solo again for two years, and I think she’s happier.

She loves me, and is friendly to people, but I don’t think she likes other cat friends much.

As far as dogs, i’d probably think about a small-medium mutt of some sort. I know it’s less sexy, but I’ve found mutts often make the great pets. I think a puggle mix? I’d say a bull dog, but they often have heath issues.

gbcoupe
12-08-2019, 04:33 PM
I’m more a cat person. I got my girl when she was about a month old...and she was a solo kitten for about a year. She was then moved into a home with two other cats, and she was happier solo. She gets along ok with male cats, but she didn’t with the two females she lived with. She’s been solo again for two years, and I think she’s happier.

She loves me, and is friendly to people, but I don’t think she likes other cat friends much.

As far as dogs, i’d probably think about a small-medium mutt of some sort. I know it’s less sexy, but I’ve found mutts often make the great pets. I think a puggle mix? I’d say a bull dog, but they often have heath issues.

Mixing animals can be an issue. My wife always said, only 1 bitch kitty in the household. We broke that commandment with our last one. It was either our taking over ownership or another Vet agreeing to euthanize. It took some time for our cats to adjust, but hasn't been much of an issue. That said, the 2 females keep their distance.

poff
12-08-2019, 08:00 PM
Get a wolf. All dogs will show the respect.

wc1934
12-08-2019, 08:24 PM
Yeah, our lives are pretty full right now, so less stress would be good. I know we are taking on more with any pet and I accept that though.

My wife’s bestie just got a puppy and while she said it’s lots of work and makes their lives crazier, she’s super happy with the choice and she wasn’t previously a pet person. She told us to leap in!

SRAM - funny thing is that I am looking for a cheap SRAM group for the first time in many many years!!

well then - you now have the name for your pet.

verticaldoug
12-09-2019, 02:36 AM
Get a wolf. All dogs will show the respect.

In that case, get a Czech Vlcak. They can make the hair stand on the back of your neck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTeWAgbn9mI

buddybikes
12-09-2019, 05:30 AM
Appears verdict should be get cat and dog, let them grow up together. Cat's can be indoor only without issue. Just have to commit. My parents grabbed a stray, about 5 years old, brought in and never left. Our cat (formerly cats) have all been indoor only.

oldpotatoe
12-09-2019, 06:03 AM
ah, thanks Peter...very sweet of you to say that...means a lot to me coming from you! And I really agree with you on your post about keeping them inside if you can...too many things out there...we live way out in the country, very seemingly safe and my favorite cat ever, Finn, insisted on being outside as he was a total hunter...and he somehow got hit...it still tears me up a bit 5 years on...

I hear ya brother....

jwalther
12-09-2019, 06:14 AM
At the risk of being repetitive, find a rescue organization in you area. We rescued Copper a couple of days ago. If he's half the companion our previous rescue was, I'll be very happy indeed.

Copper

https://i.imgur.com/uEl9r9S.jpg?1

Shadow (2004-19)

https://i.imgur.com/u9s3GnV.jpg?1

biker72
12-09-2019, 08:07 AM
Never a big animal person but my wife liked cats.
First set lived 19 and 21 years respectively.

Second set only 15 and 16. One had diabetes, the other was let out for his morning prowl and never came back. That was a tough loss for me.

Third set are strictly inside cats and are both 12. These guys just don't have any problems.
All these cats were rescue animals. I guess I've become a cat person.

R3awak3n
12-09-2019, 08:42 AM
I am ok sounding repetitive, so many dogs out there in need of a family and friend. Find an animal shelter and go meet some dogs and see who you connect with. We adopted billy a few years ago and he is the sweetest nicest dog, my bestest friend.

oldguy00
12-09-2019, 08:59 AM

Honestly cold weather is a non-issue. Because of the adoption agency we have here in the maritime provinces (a couple actually) there are now hundreds of greys living happily on the east coast of Canada, much colder winter than Victoria.
General rule of thumb is if you need a jacket, they need a jacket. No big deal and they usually still love going for short walks.
:)

This was one of our fosters, one we wish we had kept. Racing name was 'Go Brenda Go'.
You can actually lookup your grey by their racing name and watch some of their recorded races online.

alancw3
12-09-2019, 09:07 AM
mini Golden Doodle..45 pounds, no shedding, great disposition, smart!

yep! all the intelligence of a Poodle and the friendliness of a Golden Retriever. couldn't ask for more in a dog imho.

alancw3
12-09-2019, 09:10 AM
Basically all dogs are great companions. The bond between man and beast. Unconditional love for their owners. the perfect pet imho albeit with some work involved but they are worth it.

merlinmurph
12-09-2019, 09:11 AM
Because I volunteer at an animal shelter, I'll suggest going to a shelter and telling the people there what you're looking for - size, temperment, kids, etc. Just go with a well-behaved mutt. Tell the staff you don't want a dog with any issues and be emphatic. We get lots of dogs that are very easy-going, lovable dogs that are great pooches. We also get some dogs that have issues, mostly minor, some more so. Sounds like you don't want a project, you just want a family dog, and make this clear to the staff. They will understand, and they certainly don't want to send a dog to a family, only having the dog returned because it wasn't a good match.

Good luck!

Richard
12-09-2019, 10:06 AM
Try this site: https://www.petfinder.com/ . When I caved to my son to get a dog (always was a cat person) we fell for a dog on the site and haven't looked back. It has a robust search feature and when we were able to connect with the family fostering our pup and got all the input we needed.

Slmo
12-09-2019, 02:07 PM
We have an English Labrador. She is the perfect companion...child entertainer, hiking partner, open water swim buddy, movie watcher, field dog, etc. I could go on and on. She has been involved in every part of our lives for the last 11 years. Now that she is older, she is content just lounging around and playing with my two toddlers. English labs are a great breed, as are a lot of other breeds.

Ozz
12-09-2019, 02:46 PM
Rescue dog...a couple years old and housebroken
< 20 lbs
Poodle mix (schnauzer, terrier, etc)

Here is ours....rescued about 5 yrs ago...best dog ever...totally chill with everyone, lovable, demanding of her walks, hates squirrels (and any rodent), no shedding,

gbcoupe
12-09-2019, 05:45 PM
Honestly cold weather is a non-issue. Because of the adoption agency we have here in the maritime provinces (a couple actually) there are now hundreds of greys living happily on the east coast of Canada, much colder winter than Victoria.
General rule of thumb is if you need a jacket, they need a jacket. No big deal and they usually still love going for short walks.
:)

This was one of our fosters, one we wish we had kept. Racing name was 'Go Brenda Go'.
You can actually lookup your grey by their racing name and watch some of their recorded races online.

I knew they needed some cover up, but had no idea there were so many up north! It can get butt cold in Ohio, and I see plenty of Grey's in our neighborhood. I stand corrected, non-issue :)

Great dogs, on my list for when we get another.

d_douglas
12-10-2019, 04:00 PM
to top it all off, my sister just sent me a photo of her new six week old Boston Terrier/French Bulldog puppy that she gets in two weeks.

It is melt-in-your-mouth cute. Insane.

StanleySteamer
12-10-2019, 08:28 PM
Cairn Terrier or West Highland Terrier.

skiezo
12-11-2019, 06:21 AM
We love our Doodle. He is a sweet,goofy and lovable fellow and was very easy to train. He is about 65# of fluffy love.
https://i.imgur.com/dNZk3UUl.jpg

Mzilliox
12-11-2019, 08:55 AM

standard answer and the best. Go find one who needs you.

BobbyJones
12-11-2019, 10:52 AM
My 2¢....

Adopt. Spend some time with your prospective new friend via fostering if possible. See if the level of commitment is right for you with the specific animal you initially connect with.
It's really tough to tell if it's right with just a quick walk through, or if a particular choice will take more work.

Although some breeds generally have specific characteristics that you're looking for, each animal is an individual. The great thing about a mature shelter / rescue dog is you can see exactly what you're getting.

Best of luck with your decision.