PDA

View Full Version : A Unique way to bring in the New Year!

mwos
01-01-2007, 11:15 AM
A New Year's tradition for a few folks in our bicycle club is to ride their mtn bikes up Green Mtn (west side of town) to watch the fireworks over Denver.

Last night we joined them but instead of biking we snowshoed up the trail.

The trailhead was across the street from our hosts house so around 11:00 we walked to the parking lot. A Lakewood policeman was in the lot and told us the park was closed but to enjoy ourselves and have a "Happy New Year".

The first part of the trail was steep and icy, apparently the neighborhood kids had been sledding there. I was starting to question the sanity of what we were doing. As we climbed the snow started getting deeper so we stopped and put on our snowshoes.

In the moonlight I could see the climbers ahead of me silhouetted against the white snow and dark sky. I felt like I was climbing Mt Everest!

When we reached the "summit" we toasted the new year with champagne and the lights of Denver shimmering at our feet.

What a way to start 2007! :)

Happy New Year!

Kathi

Tailwinds
01-01-2007, 04:40 PM
Kathi, that sounds fun! Thanks for sharing!

I know some folks who ride their bikes up to the top of the hill at Bear Creek Park, but alas, I am "stuck" in FL on vacation. It was 80 degrees yesterday. :rolleyes:

mwos
01-02-2007, 07:44 AM
Tailwinds,

Denver is so beautiful with all the snow. Yesterday, it was still hanging in the branches of the trees. With the sunny, blue skies it was an awesome sight! After living here 2 years the beauty of this country continues to surprise and amaze me.

The snow gods have really gotten their hold on me. I've already skied 15 days, snowshoed 3 and since Thanksgiving biked 0.

My beautiful Ottrott is hanging in the basement, ridden less than 100 miles since mid Oct.

Did you miss the snowstorms or were you caught in the mess?

Kathi

Tailwinds
01-02-2007, 01:18 PM
I escaped between the two big snowstorms. Enjoy.

chuckred
01-02-2007, 02:46 PM
Just as Ms. Red and I were dressing to head out for New Year's festivities, our water pressure dropped to zero. Upon inspection, I found that the sediment filter in the basement had rusted and blew off the pipe. :crap: Water was running in from the fully opened main supply line...

So, instead, we ran the wet-vac for a few hours and went to bed early...

Tried to fix it yesterday, but the parts were non-standard and had the guy at Home Depot scratching his head. Today, had 3 plumbers at the local supply house scratching their heads as well. Finally got it figured out and fixed - $300 later...