PDA

View Full Version : Clearance fees buying used items from Canada?

smead
12-05-2019, 10:20 PM
Hi folks - I'm in the US and bought a frameset here from Canada a few years ago with no issues or surprises. Just purchased another for an amount that was listed as "$$" shipped, and was expecting that'd be it. I expect import duties on new items purchased abroad, but not used? After payment, got a message from seller that FedEx will want another $50 or so from me upon receipt for "clearance fees"? From what I can tell, the shipper can choose whether to cover that or pass along to buyer. Am I unreasonable expecting the shipper to cover that given an item is listed as $$ shipped? Are there other options to avoid the clearance fee from items shipped from Canada to the US?

d_douglas
12-05-2019, 10:32 PM
As a Canadian (I don’t think I sold you a frame ) My expectation would be that all costs to import the bike (duties/taxes) are the responsibility of the buyer.

I have never used prepaid duty service for this very reason - one never knows what the duty will be or IF they will charge it (though they’re getting pretty good at charging these days). This way, the seller and buyer settle on the price of the frame and cost to ship and if the buyer gets slammed with a huge charge, it is their problem.

So, I guess that I disagree with you! Sorry...

I am actually hoping to make an offer on a frameset in AZ soon, so I will keep you posted on whether I agree with my own principles after that transaction completes ;) :banana:

Pierre
12-06-2019, 05:16 AM
It’s less about duty and more about being very careful about which shippers to use. Some are notorious for high fees (UPS Ground and Fedex come to mind) and others (USPS and Canada Post) are great. Also, there should be no “duty” on a used bike frame, full bike, yes but not bike parts. For us Canadians importing that just leaves the potential for being billed fed and prov tax. As for Americans importing stuff not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fignon's barber
12-06-2019, 05:59 AM
It’s less about duty and more about being very careful about which shippers to use. Some are notorious for high fees (UPS Ground and Fedex come to mind) and others (USPS and Canada Post) are great.

This. Fedex sucks. If you buy anything from Canada, state up front that if it is shipped Fedex, you don't want it. I learned my lesson a few years ago when I bought a $200 pair of cross country skis and Fedex tried to charge me $180 in "brokerage fees".

pdonk
12-06-2019, 08:15 AM
I am currently fighting with FEDEX for duties (about $40) they collected due to them choosing the wrong category as my broker.

Now the fun really starts, exchanging the shorts for a size that fits and trying not to pay duty twice.

smead
12-06-2019, 10:17 AM
As a Canadian (I don’t think I sold you a frame ) My expectation would be that all costs to import the bike (duties/taxes) are the responsibility of the buyer.

I have never used prepaid duty service for this very reason - one never knows what the duty will be or IF they will charge it (though they’re getting pretty good at charging these days). This way, the seller and buyer settle on the price of the frame and cost to ship and if the buyer gets slammed with a huge charge, it is their problem.

So, I guess that I disagree with you! Sorry...

I am actually hoping to make an offer on a frameset in AZ soon, so I will keep you posted on whether I agree with my own principles after that transaction completes ;) :banana:

If that is the Merckx 7-11, I hope you get it, what a beauty! My Merckx is now on its way south to the US. Seller (who has been great) ended up just declaring it a gift for $100, no clearance fee. Downside is of course no insurance, fingers crossed that customs doesn't open it and bung up the packaging!

I think the last FS I bought from Canada was shipped via postal service, so this FedEx thing is good to know for future purchases. Thanks for the info folks.

Hilltopperny
12-06-2019, 10:23 AM
I bought a frame from Eastern Europe a couple of years ago on eBay that included shipping costs. After it arrived I received a bill from from fedex for around $70. I simply explained the situation and they took care of it. Not sure the current state of things now though.

damocles
12-06-2019, 10:47 AM
Unless a seller explicitly says they will cover duty and taxes (as opposed to shipping costs), I'd say if you choose to buy something from a foreign country, whatever duty/tax your government decides to levy on you, is between you and your government.

smead
12-06-2019, 10:51 AM
Unless a seller explicitly says they will cover duty and taxes (as opposed to shipping costs), I'd say if you choose to buy something from a foreign country, whatever duty/tax your government decides to levy on you, is between you and your government.

From what I've learned, this is not a government customs fee, but instead a private shipping co. fee (FedEx). This is not an import duty ..

echappist
12-06-2019, 11:13 AM
a few years ago, I bought my NOS TT frameset from a shop in Toronto. The shop wanted to have it shipped UPS, but I told the guy that I insist on Canada Post, as there would be no brokerage charges. The shipping was actually $30 more, but the brokerage charges would have been more.

I also agreed to pay a small "insurance", so that had a import duty been levied, the shop would have paid the entirety of the amount levied (it could have been 8% on a $2500 purchase).

ntb1001
12-06-2019, 11:39 AM
As a few have mentioned...carriers such as FedEx charge ridiculous amount to clear the item. It’s their charges..not customs.
Best practice is to use Canada Post, or USPS...and declare as used and of a low nominal value of under $100.
I usually try to have shipments listed around $25 and no problems....but it HAS to be Canada Post/USPS.
Forget FedEx.

And....buyer beware. The cost is on you.

tuscanyswe
12-06-2019, 11:46 AM
Hi folks - I'm in the US and bought a frameset here from Canada a few years ago with no issues or surprises. Just purchased another for an amount that was listed as "$$" shipped, and was expecting that'd be it. I expect import duties on new items purchased abroad, but not used? After payment, got a message from seller that FedEx will want another $50 or so from me upon receipt for "clearance fees"? From what I can tell, the shipper can choose whether to cover that or pass along to buyer. Am I unreasonable expecting the shipper to cover that given an item is listed as $$ shipped? Are there other options to avoid the clearance fee from items shipped from Canada to the US?

Yes that would be unreasonable imo.

merckxman
12-06-2019, 01:18 PM
I recently received a frameset sent via Canada Post. No surprises or extra charges.