PDA

View Full Version : Guidance on building Spesh SL6

kgreene10
12-04-2019, 12:33 PM
Hi all. I’ve got a new SL6 rim brake frameset I’m about to build. I’ve worked on my bikes for a while, including the beastly Madone 9, but there are a few things I haven’t done and so want to get some advice.

1. Grease. I’ve got Finish Line Teflon, EPX red stuff, and Park Polylube. What’s best for the BB, the HS, and other areas (aside from carbon bits for which I have assembly paste)?

2. BB. Frame has a BB30 Alu shell. I’ve got a conversion BB coming that threads together. Do these just press in by hand or will I use a bearing press like the Park cups and bolt system I’ve got in house?

3. Any tricks to setting up direct mount brakes or are they sufficiently similar to standard rim brakes?

4. Anything else I should watch for on this particular frameset? (I’ve of course got a torque wrench).

eric01
12-14-2019, 04:46 AM
I built up an sworks sl6 about a year ago. Pretty smooth.

What model threaded bb? Check the mfg instructions. If it’s a praxis, you don’t need to press in — threading the two side together will push it into the frame.

Direct mount brakes. Just alternate screwing in each side a little at a time. Make sure you install the carbon bridge that comes with the frame on the rear.