PDA

View Full Version : "What do you want for christmas?" I'm coming up blank.

MattTuck
12-04-2019, 09:25 AM
My wife asked me the other day what I wanted for christmas. I don't have any great ideas.

Was thinking one of those Thermapen instant meat thermometers for the grill (and roasting turkeys) but that is probably recency bias since I just used one during thanksgiving that my father in law brought up.

Flobikes subscription for next year is another possibility, but I haven't seen their 2020 schedule yet.

This group is an interesting bunch, so I'm sure some of you have some cool stuff on your list. Help me out. Max $300.

Lewis Moon
12-04-2019, 09:28 AM
Experiences. Travel. Rides in beautiful places. Cool races.

That's what I'm asking for.

oldpotatoe
12-04-2019, 09:32 AM
My wife asked me the other day what I wanted for christmas. I don't have any great ideas.

Was thinking one of those Thermapen instant meat thermometers for the grill (and roasting turkeys) but that is probably recency bias since I just used one during thanksgiving that my father in law brought up.

Flobikes subscription for next year is another possibility, but I haven't seen their 2020 schedule yet.

This group is an interesting bunch, so I'm sure some of you have some cool stuff on your list. Help me out. Max $300.

Recognizing Xmas buying was gettin' out of control..we came up with this
-Something you want
-something you need
-something to wear
-something to read..

45K10
12-04-2019, 10:06 AM
Not very interesting but my wife and I, along with our extended families are doing a "No gift Xmas" this year. It is nice IMO!

bigbill
12-04-2019, 10:13 AM
I don't buy gifts for adult family members. Kids get stuff. I tell family to get my son Amazon gift cards that I add to our shared Prime account for him to spend as he needs things. He's getting two kits from me this year.

Mark McM
12-04-2019, 10:14 AM
Not very interesting but my wife and I, along with our extended families are doing a "No gift Xmas" this year. It is nice IMO!

Some people go one step further: In lieu of exchanging gifts, "gifters" make a contribution to the "giftees" choice of charity or cause in the name of the "giftee".

zennmotion
12-04-2019, 10:30 AM
N+1 You can search for bicycle-related needs or anything else. Gift that keeps on giving

https://www.kiva.org/lend/1883526

joosttx
12-04-2019, 10:36 AM
I bought my wife a bathroom
My son a surfboard
My daughter a skateboard

I just want to ride my bike

DeBike
12-04-2019, 10:36 AM
Good bike riding weather where I am going.

sparky33
12-04-2019, 10:40 AM
Path Less Pedaled (https://youtu.be/J50Q7FWIdq0) suggests some cyclist gifts that sound reasonable.

My pick from that is the Silca T-ratchet and torque kit (https://silca.cc/products/updated-t-ratchet-ti-torque-kit). It's a neat multi tool. I use mine frequently. The Thermapen is amazing too.
Good tools are good gifts.

The gift of time is harder to come by.

kppolich
12-04-2019, 10:50 AM
Great time for a new chain, bar tape, perhaps some matchy match cages or 2 fresh bottles for next year.

I asked for this bag from Pedal Industries for race day and long weekend ride gear organization.
https://pedalindustries.com/products/primary-orange

chiasticon
12-04-2019, 11:02 AM
dual income, no kids. so we generally buy what we want (within reason, obviously). very tricky to buy for each other.

years past there's been a lot of list-making and eventually it turns into an arms race of "I spent over the limit..." and "oh yeah? well then I guess I better get back to shopping!" back and forth until we're both at double the limit we'd set. this year our approach is an AirBNB weekend away and some sort of custom-made gift for each other (think Etsy, etc). no lists or requests. wish me luck.

for family... man, I just get sick of all the "here's your Starbucks card, good sir", "and for you, a lovely Amazon card." like why don't we just have a nice dinner together and everyone donate money to a worthy cause? I mean, the kids around will hate it, but they'll also learn something.

Ozz
12-04-2019, 11:19 AM
some great olive oil.....

I would never spend $50 for a .5 litre of olive oil....but would love it if someone bought it for me.:cool:

PS - it is my go to gift when I am not sure what to give....

makoti
12-04-2019, 11:33 AM
Chains. Useful & needed, eventually.

Frankwurst
12-04-2019, 11:43 AM
I want to be with my wife and family. Most will be here at one point in time. We'll eat, drink, laugh, make fun of each other, disagree and discuss and probably won't solve a damn thing other than confirming the fact we all love one another and hopefully all live to do it again. I want for nothing more at Christmas. :beer:

Clean39T
12-04-2019, 11:43 AM
some great olive oil.....

I would never spend $50 for a .5 litre of olive oil....but would love it if someone bought it for me.:cool:

PS - it is my go to gift when I am not sure what to give....Now we're talking.

Some top shelf balsamic would be great too....thick as blood....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Clean39T
12-04-2019, 11:46 AM
dual income, no kids. so we generally buy what we want (within reason, obviously). very tricky to buy for each other.

years past there's been a lot of list-making and eventually it turns into an arms race of "I spent over the limit..." and "oh yeah? well then I guess I better get back to shopping!" back and forth until we're both at double the limit we'd set. this year our approach is an AirBNB weekend away and some sort of custom-made gift for each other (think Etsy, etc). no lists or requests. wish me luck.

for family... man, I just get sick of all the "here's your Starbucks card, good sir", "and for you, a lovely Amazon card." like why don't we just have a nice dinner together and everyone donate money to a worthy cause? I mean, the kids around will hate it, but they'll also learn something.Pretty much defines my wife and I, except we're sinks, not dinks. We buy what we need when it's on sale - holidays are about relaxing, taking stock, and enjoying good food/wine w each other, friends, and family...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

bigbill
12-04-2019, 12:12 PM
Good idea above. I'll include a chain in my kid's presents with a reminder of when to replace.

shoota
12-04-2019, 12:43 PM

I've got a brand new MEATER+ thermometer I'll send ya for Christmas, from your wife, for a small fee. :)

alfordjo
12-04-2019, 12:43 PM
I think I want a Garmin Radar RTL 510.

I just have a tough time pulling the trigger.

chrismoustache
12-04-2019, 01:28 PM
File these under, 'unplug and enjoy the moment.' plus a lego train.

https://instax.com/wide/en/

https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Creator-Expert-Holiday-Construction/dp/B01KOPHVDO/ref=asc_df_B01KOPHVDO/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312136756231&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5964425777378000584&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1025202&hvtargid=pla-436783353741&psc=1#

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/spoon-carvin-jack

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20763856-how-to-eat

https://www.ucogear.com/candle-lanterns/

Gummee
12-04-2019, 03:07 PM
I got asked the OP's question the other day

'If I need it or want it and can afford it, I buy it. That leaves things I want or need but don't want to afford for presents. ...which makes bad Crimmus presents.'

It's a conundrum...

M

zmudshark
12-04-2019, 03:38 PM

Buy the Mavic shoes I have in the classifieds, and still have money left for a great meal out for you and the Mrs.

:banana::banana::banana:

speedevil
12-04-2019, 03:48 PM
A Gore Shakedry jacket would be great. I picked up the other cool/wet weather gear, and the jacket is the missing piece to the puzzle.

berserk87
12-04-2019, 04:41 PM
Hard to go wrong with hookers and booze. I ask for them every year. Still waiting to receive either/or.

makoti
12-04-2019, 04:56 PM
Another thread has me adding a Stroopwafel iron to my list.

Matthew
12-04-2019, 05:12 PM
A Michigan without winter tops my wish list. Oh, and a new 29er to go with my 26er to see what I like better. Anyone got a 29er I can try?!

Jeff N.
12-04-2019, 05:39 PM
Razor blades for shaving. Those thing are pricey these days! Also, a Starbucks gift card. That's about it!

72gmc
12-04-2019, 06:03 PM
I don't really need anything, but I'm finding the "Ten Products I Loved in 2019" series from CyclingTips contributors interesting. There are some things in there I may research to fine-tune the kit I have.

Otherwise, I ask for a) pie or b) donations to causes I care about.

gemship
12-04-2019, 06:26 PM
I got asked the OP's question the other day

'If I need it or want it and can afford it, I buy it. That leaves things I want or need but don't want to afford for presents. ...which makes bad Crimmus presents.'

It's a conundrum...

M

LOL, I like that. Based on that rationale I'm not giving anybody anything. Every man, woman and child for themselves.

Actually I was going to try and get my niece and nephew new pairs of socks maybe some gloves and some candy but honestly they both say they don't like me and I really don't like shopping or spending money in general so they will probably get nothing as usual. Someday if they're lucky I may give them a job but I suspect they will never truly learn the value of hard work. They like to play video games and are spoiled, long story.....

makoti
12-04-2019, 07:36 PM
Razor blades for shaving. Those thing are pricey these days! Also, a Starbucks gift card. That's about it!

Wet shave. $35 for a razor, pennies for the blades.

FlashUNC
12-04-2019, 08:08 PM
The heat death of the universe to arrive early.

All I want for Christmas is Entropy....en....tro....py....

bikingshearer
12-04-2019, 08:21 PM
I cheerfully get swag for my wife and my adult son.

Otherwise, on my side of the family, the grown-ups don't do presents for each other, Christmas or birthday, and haven't for decades.

On my wife's side of the family, everybody gets Christmas and birthday presents for everybody else.

So which scenario do you think generates more resentment and hurt feelings?

But to answer the original question, William Fotheringham's new book about Beryl Burton looks like a winner. So does a nice, sedate merino wool sweater.

KJMUNC
12-04-2019, 08:28 PM
Buy the Mavic shoes I have in the classifieds, and still have money left for a great meal out for you and the Mrs.

:banana::banana::banana:

I just did and texted my wife saying "well, there's one less gift you have to get me". Still waiting on a response :-)

I asked for stuff that I would like (not need) to round out the bikes so I'm not constantly swapping among bikes for every ride:: Spurcycle bells and Garmin mounts.

I always have a long backlog of wishlist books so that's an easy one.

farmerjosh
12-04-2019, 08:35 PM
A membership to a CSA?

Maybe I'm biased?

Anyway my farm doesn't do CSA's. But I'm sure farms that do would be grateful.

Peter P.
12-04-2019, 09:49 PM
We're all adults here.

Is your S.O. struggling to "get you something"?

Then you don't need anything, nor is it necessary to receive a gift.

Enjoy the holiday without "stuff".

Hellgate
12-04-2019, 09:57 PM
I'm getting my wife a Peloton. She'll love it.

AngryScientist
12-04-2019, 11:16 PM
Last year my wife and i "gifted" each other with some tickets to a broadway show, including dinner and drinks in the city. we dont do this too often and it's a nice treat and something to look forward to.

i think we're planning to do the same this year.

Ozz
12-05-2019, 07:49 AM
I'm getting my wife a Peloton. She'll love it.

without a doubt....it will change her life.

Hellgate
12-05-2019, 07:55 AM
without a doubt....it will change her life.And my divorce will be finalized in January to. My timing is impeccable.

oldpotatoe
12-05-2019, 07:59 AM
Wet shave. $35 for a razor, pennies for the blades.

Nope, grow a beard for the winter!!

redir
12-05-2019, 08:07 AM
Bwahahahhaha +1 on the Pelaton, my wife really does need to loose 3 pounds over the next year :D

The best xmas present I could ask for is that my Dad recovers well from heart surgery and that my sister in law is cancer free. The rest of it don't mean jack.

72gmc
12-05-2019, 11:31 AM
Last year my wife and i "gifted" each other with some tickets to a broadway show, including dinner and drinks in the city.

That's a very good idea. I'm stealing it.

oldguy00
12-05-2019, 12:02 PM
Wife and I are in the category of similar incomes and buy what we want when we want it if we can afford it. We just buy xmas gifts for the kids.

I want to buy myself a new espresso setup....but $$$............be responsible and not do it, or drop 3k+ on a Rocket Giotto and grinder......lol

choke
12-05-2019, 12:13 PM
A bottle of 50 year old Balvenie.

cash05458
12-05-2019, 12:53 PM
I bet I am about one of the poorest guys on here as I never went that way nor am I a guy to give fake thanks etc......but good topic question...can't think of anything I need or want...

KidWok
12-05-2019, 04:29 PM
I think it's worth considering that this holiday (and many others) has been so normalized as a consumption event that people feel like they should really put effort into conjuring a want/need in order to participate in the consumption.

In contrast, I would love to see more recognition that our rate of consumption isn't sustainable for the world we're inhabiting.

Tai

slowgoing
12-05-2019, 04:36 PM
43 inch computer monitor.

berserk87
12-05-2019, 06:34 PM
A potato-powered clock. Sustainable, eco-friendly, and practical!

dsimon
12-05-2019, 06:43 PM
ME im going to be greedy I just want to loose some weight that I gained when I retired from the Army thats all.:fight:

josephr
12-05-2019, 07:33 PM
my kids are older (27 and 20) so we just do 'stocking stuff' and try to find oddball items to get each other....like one of those microwave egg-poacher things or fancy soap or a nice box of tea....Just trying to knock down on the 'spending' part of spending Christmas together. We also try to do fun craft projects like over Thanksgiving we made air-plant holders. For Christmas, I ordered a big tie-dye kit and got a whole bunch of t-shirts so we can do that together. :)

schwa86
12-05-2019, 07:52 PM
I used to ask for (and receive) a batch of peanut butter chocolate chip cookies from my daughter. Now that she's older I don't even have to ask. ;-). Great gift and by the time the next year rolls around I'm ready for another batch!

veggieburger
12-05-2019, 07:53 PM
Some really nice angora dress socks.

Hiking boots.

A massage.

First aid kit for the car.

Weekend course to get your ______ license.

Afternoon at a shooting range.

Instant Pot.

A piece of exotic meat for the BBQ.

tbike4
12-06-2019, 07:08 AM

Now we're talking. Better include hardware with articulating arm to mount it to the wall/back of the desk and save the desk space.

iMac Pro maybe, or the new 16" MacBook Pro- plug in that 43" monitor. ;)

A realistic item= 11 speed chain

flying
12-06-2019, 11:33 AM
Just good riding weather :hello:

Likes2ridefar
12-06-2019, 01:11 PM

I was pretty happy with my 32” but now I have a want...

I don’t need anything but want new bike shoes. I keep hoping lake cx241 in wide will go on sale, but they never seem to...

wc1934
12-06-2019, 05:19 PM
L Cohen - Bird on a wire:

I saw a beggar leaning on his wooden crutch
He said to me, "you must not ask for so much"
And a pretty woman leaning in her darkened door
She cried to me, "hey, why not ask for more?"

saab2000
12-06-2019, 05:21 PM
Time

peanutgallery
12-06-2019, 06:10 PM
I want a Peloton:)

Hawker
12-06-2019, 06:40 PM
I went to the Philly Bike Expo and bought a pair of sox from these guys.

I'm generally not a "colorful" guy but bought these because I have noticed that guys with neon socks really catch my attention while riding. It was a "safety purchase".

The quality is good and they have tall and short versions. And they're not so expensive that you'll be embarrassed to suggest it to someone.

www.ridgesupply.com

tv_vt
12-06-2019, 08:03 PM
Matt,
Are you still getting out on your Kirk? Do you need any cycling stuff? New shoes, shorts, jacket, etc? How about a pair of Assos Cento Evo bibs? That'll use up the $300 bucks! But they look amazing. I tried on a pair at Wheelworks recently.
Cheers,
TV across the river.