PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Dirty Dozen

TimS
12-03-2019, 07:02 PM
Has anyone done it? I have done plenty of triathlons, marathons, ironmen, this one has me a little nervous. Few people finish their first go at it. Any suggestions?

steamer
12-03-2019, 07:06 PM
It's a ride of attrition. I'm assuming you aren't worried about the competitive aspect. Pack very low gears and put your ego in check (ride conservatively) and you'll be fine.

You've got almost 11 months to get ready.

Disclaimer: I haven't done it but a bunch of my friends have. I am relating their feedback.

Ralph
12-03-2019, 07:19 PM
It's a ride of attrition. I'm assuming you aren't worried about the competitive aspect. Pack very low gears and put your ego in check (ride conservatively) and you'll be fine.

You've got almost 11 months to get ready.

Disclaimer: I haven't done it but a bunch of my friends have. I am relating their feedback.

Have a friend who has "tried" to do this ride. His advice.....gears way lower than 1-1. Mt Bike type gears on a road bike unless you are really strong.

steamer
12-03-2019, 07:24 PM
I should note that I know all my friends through randonneuring and we all ride triple cranks.

tctyres
12-03-2019, 07:48 PM
I did it with a 36 in front and a 32 in back.
It's no problem, really. I rode the second wave, but I should have gone with the first, more competitive wave. I think they will do next year's in October again. :(

DeBike
12-03-2019, 08:10 PM
I have seen some video of it. It looks wicked. Riders literally just falling over from not being able to climb anymore and can't dismount quick enough. I cannot remember the grade, but one hill is especially steep, one of the steepest in the USA. It is just flat out nasty!

Ralph
12-03-2019, 08:38 PM
I have seen some video of it. It looks wicked. Riders literally just falling over from not being able to climb anymore and can't dismount quick enough. I cannot remember the grade, but one hill is especially steep, one of the steepest in the USA. It is just flat out nasty!

One of the problems is people stopping in front of you...who can't get going again uphill. So you have to plan each hill with maneuver room.