PDA

View Full Version : OT: drive across the US in less than 28 hours

bthornt
12-03-2019, 06:55 PM
Here's the link: https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a30085091/these-guys-just-drove-an-e63-amg-across-america-in-a-record-27-hours-25-minutes/

DrewK
12-03-2019, 07:45 PM
Big brass ones!

robin3mj
12-03-2019, 07:53 PM
Big brass ones!

And a massive lack of regard for other people’s safety.

AngryScientist
12-03-2019, 07:57 PM
i only skimmed the article, but those average speeds and max speeds are crazy.

i guess i sound like someone's boring dad, but 160mph on US highways is out of control stupid.

also, how on earth do you get away with doing something so totally illegal, bragging about it on the internet, along with GPS verified proof and not face legal consequences?

Ken Robb
12-03-2019, 08:04 PM
Great article. I have always been surprised how many people have been willing to risk death and/or jail to "win" this "event". I did come within fractions of a second of winning the 115mph class in the Silver State Challenge a few years ago but that is fully sanctioned on a 2 lane highway that is closed and guarded by the Nevada Highway Patrol so the only risk is to oneself.

In 1992 I was in Germany for a 3 day school to learn the Nurburgring. BMW provided us new 1992 325i sedans for the time we were in Germany. It took a while to get there but these cars topped out at 248kph or about 151mph unlike the USA versions which had speed limited to 130mph.

While it was fun to run at 248kph a couple of times on the autobahn we came to the conclusion that to cover 300 miles or more our elapsed time was shortest if we kept our speed at no more than 100mph. This was due to the tremendous increase in fuel consumption due to drag at higher speeds than 100mph. The extra consumption required extra fuel stops negating any hoped-for advantage of driving faster.

I read that these record breakers had an oversized gas tank which cut down on the number of stops but they still had to fill it with standard gas station pumps. The very short total non-driving time they recorded is very impressive.

DeBike
12-03-2019, 08:04 PM
Will not even bother looking at that.

Spoker
12-03-2019, 08:23 PM
Any texting driver likely 10x more dangerous than those drivers.

rwsaunders
12-03-2019, 08:26 PM
and a massive lack of regard for other people’s safety.

+1.

R3awak3n
12-03-2019, 08:30 PM
/\ you missing out. Its a pretty great article.

And although I see peoples point about putting people in danger, I see people putting others in danger every week and they are going the speed limit so this does not bother me a lot, these guys are good drivers and that AMG can go safely at that speed... it was built for that. I don't think people should do this but I am not mad at it.

unterhausen
12-03-2019, 09:26 PM
Any texting driver likely 10x more dangerous than those drivers.

Hard to say, they might be safe going that speed, but are they really prepared for the fact that the rest of us aren't expecting someone to be going that speed? I have been passed by someone going really fast. I was about to change lanes, checked my mirrors and saw a car waaaay back. Except I wasn't counting on them going so fast. Fortunately, a passenger saw what was going on and warned me or else it would have been a big mess.

I got pulled over once on PA bike route G for riding in a way that the cop didn't like. He told me that people had been clocked going over 80 on that road. I guess to scare me off. Anyway, I told him that at least people going that speed are looking out the windshield.

redir
12-03-2019, 09:41 PM
Awesome! I love it. What an adventure they had, all be it a short one :D It is irresponsible I would have to say but then so is free solo climbing and the idiots that do that too are worthy of praise. But hot damn I would love to drive an AMG across country. I've driven my e420 across several times and have hit well over 100 plus miles per hour in remote places in Kansas and other high plains highways where there is no other danger to anyone but yourself, if that.

peanutgallery
12-03-2019, 09:44 PM
22 minutes of non-moving time is pretty impressive. Gas, bathroom etc

Some members of my family should take note, they could use some schooling in their ways

Blue Jays
12-03-2019, 10:17 PM
Really interesting article. Those three have to all be truly solid athletes.
One would need physical strength, mental acuity, and very keen senses.

oliver1850
12-04-2019, 01:58 AM
Friend did this on a Triumph motorcycle. Wish I'd gotten the details while he was alive (died on a bicycle). Have searched but couldn't find anything but much more recent motorcycle coast to coast runs - including FL to AK....

SpaceOdyssey
12-04-2019, 04:30 AM
Doesn’t anyone remember the Cannonball Baker Memorial Sea to Shining Sea Trophy Dash?

Car and Driver organized a “race” from coast to coast on public roads.

A buddy of mine did it. He was a DNF with 3 speeding tickets in Ohio and a night in jail.

The movie Cannonball Run was loosely based on the real event.

Octave
12-04-2019, 04:37 AM
It is irresponsible I would have to say but then so is free solo climbing and the idiots that do that too are worthy of praise.
Yeah, but unless you happen to be standing directly below them when they fall, the only danger is to themselves. On the other hand, people respectfully using public roads are all endangered by behavior like this.

paredown
12-04-2019, 06:18 AM
Doesn’t anyone remember the Cannonball Baker Memorial Sea to Shining Sea Trophy Dash?

Car and Driver organized a “race” from coast to coast on public roads.

A buddy of mine did it. He was a DNF with 3 speeding tickets in Ohio and a night in jail.

The movie Cannonball Run was loosely based on the real event.

Yes--this is the continuation of the same 'event'.

The original was Brock Yates with Dan Gurney driving a Ferrari...

These guys were smarter--a honked up AMG Merc that looked like an econo box. They also used a lot of spotters and a pilot car/moto at one pont.

FWIW, this has been going on since the 1930s (Cannonball Baker), was revived by C&D in the '70s--and there has not been a single accident or fatality associated with the event--ever.

And yes--I miss the Autobahn!

cash05458
12-04-2019, 08:39 AM
great read and thanks for posting..."breakin' the law!"...love the spotter angle and the whole community feel therein...we need more of this sorta stuff...:hello:

William
12-04-2019, 09:10 AM
gumball!!!

w.

sipmeister
12-04-2019, 09:11 AM

And although I see peoples point about putting people in danger, I see people putting others in danger every week and they are going the speed limit so this does not bother me a lot, these guys are good drivers and that AMG can go safely at that speed... it was built for that. I don't think people should do this but I am not mad at it.

Completely agree. These guys know how the drive and the majority of population doesn’t. Real danger is from clueless folks who shouldn’t be behind a wheel in the first place. Love how they disguised that AMG to look like a trusty Honda at first glance.

weisan
12-04-2019, 09:12 AM
Excellent piece of writing, great stuff.

Mark McM
12-04-2019, 09:17 AM
also, how on earth do you get away with doing something so totally illegal, bragging about it on the internet, along with GPS verified proof and not face legal consequences?

I don't know about these guys, but the previous record holders fully documented everything (including hiring a film crew), but did not release anything or make any public announcements until after all the statuates of limitations expired on any laws they broke. So it was a few years before they launched their publicity tour.

MattTuck
12-04-2019, 09:20 AM
.... these guys are good drivers and that AMG can go safely at that speed... it was built for that.

There is a difference between driving at that speed and stopping. One idiot going 70 mph pulling into the left lane without looking, and the AMG has to slow from 140.... there is no magic to stopping. It is the friction of the tires against the road.

Hard to say any car can go safely when it is traveling at speeds 50% higher than other vehicles around it.

That said, I don't have much of a problem with it. I'd love to hear more about how they chose start times and which route they chose to avoid rush hours and other traffic issues. I mean, driving on the highway in Kansas is completely different than driving the last 10 miles in LA.

dancinkozmo
12-04-2019, 09:27 AM
they shouldve done this on earth day.

Ralph
12-04-2019, 09:28 AM
Maybe they are great drivers......but......stuff happens beyond their control.

Slow drivers doing dumb things in front of them....animals appearing from nowhere....unexpected road conditions....unexpected mechanical issues, etc.

The level of their conceit is amazing.....to think they believe they are such great drivers the rules (and risks) don't apply to them. Or that what I mentioned above can't happen to such great drivers.

Driving those speeds on public roads is just dumb and dangerous. And it's not just the risk to themselves. Hope they go to jail.

Good read though.

oldpotatoe
12-04-2019, 09:39 AM
Knew a guy who owned a BMW dealership in the early 80s in Virgina Beach that 'crewed' in a car every year for this, one of 'his' cars. A VERY big deal..

Gartenmeister
12-04-2019, 09:39 AM
Their video is pretty interesting. It is very clear that their success comes from exceptional planning, coordination, calculation, cooperation, awareness, etc. The actual fast driving is assumed of course, but it seems almost secondary to the organizational aspects.

zap
12-04-2019, 09:41 AM
The level of their conceit is amazing.....to think they believe they are such great drivers the rules (and risks) don't apply to them. Or that what I mentioned above can't happen to such great drivers.

Good drivers are fully aware of the risks.

charliedid
12-04-2019, 09:44 AM
Their video is pretty interesting. It is very clear that their success comes from exceptional planning, coordination, calculation, cooperation, awareness, etc. The actual fast driving is assumed of course, but it seems almost secondary to the organizational aspects.

No kidding.

deechee
12-04-2019, 09:48 AM
I feel conflicted about this too, but their preparation is impressive. And regarding AngryScientist's question, yeah I'm a bit surprised. One of the original "winners" waited a year before coming out (https://jalopnik.com/meet-the-guy-who-drove-across-the-u-s-in-a-record-28-h-1454092837).

After Alex Roy set the transcontinental driving record, he waited a year to come forward – until the statute of limitations expired on every single illegal act he committed.

Blue Jays
12-04-2019, 10:08 AM
The accompanying video embedded in the article is equally as interesting.

mulp
12-04-2019, 10:29 AM
This is just insane, statute of limitations shouldn't exempt this type of behavior.

C40_guy
12-04-2019, 11:00 AM
Completely agree. These guys know how the drive and the majority of population doesn’t. Real danger is from clueless folks who shouldn’t be behind a wheel in the first place. Love how they disguised that AMG to look like a trusty Honda at first glance.

I've spent some time on auto racetracks (HPDE, not competition), and a really curious thing happens when you leave to go home.

Driving down the highway, with traffic, you are highly conscious of the fact that everyone around you is clueless, not paying attention, not watching out for your safety...or theirs.

It's a weird contrast to driving hard on a track, yet feeling safe.

Jaybee
12-04-2019, 11:04 AM

The point is that they are interacting with the clueless (and the law-abiding) at something approximating twice the typical speed of traffic. Physics doesn't give them a break because they are skilled drivers, and it doesn't matter who was right or wrong when someone is dead.

This is social irresponsibility in the extreme.

Ozz
12-04-2019, 11:13 AM
The point is that they are interacting with the clueless (and the law-abiding) .....
+1
They can be the best drivers ever, but are only as safe as the stupidest person they pass.....

Driving down the highway, with traffic, you are highly conscious of the fact that everyone around you is clueless, not paying attention, not watching out for your safety...or theirs......

I've never been on a track and I am aware of this...;)

GregL
12-04-2019, 11:13 AM
I've spent some time on auto racetracks (HPDE, not competition), and a really curious thing happens when you leave to go home.

Driving down the highway, with traffic, you are highly conscious of the fact that everyone around you is clueless, not paying attention, not watching out for your safety...or theirs.

I had similar experiences during my amateur auto racing days. After driving to my limits on the track, I had no need or desire to drive fast on the street. I think auto racing made me a much safer driver by substantially raising my situational awareness. I looked at every other road user as someone who would unexpectedly put my life and safety at risk. When the unexpected did happen, I nearly always had an escape plan in mind and the skills to execute the plan.

Greg

GregL
12-04-2019, 11:19 AM
Physics doesn't give them a break because they are skilled drivers, and it doesn't matter who was right or wrong when someone is dead.
^^This^^

It reminds me of events during my flying career. The best pilots weren't the ones who told stories of how they used their superb skills to do things that were illegal and/or unsafe. The best pilots were the ones who used their knowledge, experience, and skills to ensure they didn't get into trouble in the first place. Same thing with these "cannonballers." They may have great skills and planning, but they are one flat tire (or deer in the road, unsignaled lane change, etc...) from making headlines with a fiery crash. Keep the racing to the tracks.

Greg

C40_guy
12-04-2019, 11:19 AM
I had similar experiences during my amateur auto racing days. After driving to my limits on the track, I had no need or desire to drive fast on the street. I think auto racing made me a much safer driver by substantially raising my situational awareness. I looked at every other road user as someone who would unexpectedly put my life and safety at risk. When the unexpected did happen, I nearly always had an escape plan in mind and the skills to execute the plan.

Greg

Agreed. Those skills are quite useful on the bike too...and I think I (we) probably cultivated them first on our two wheelers.

One of my favorite tracks, by the way, is not far from you. :)

72gmc
12-04-2019, 11:34 AM
While it was fun to run at 248kph a couple of times on the autobahn we came to the conclusion that to cover 300 miles or more our elapsed time was shortest if we kept our speed at no more than 100mph. This was due to the tremendous increase in fuel consumption due to drag at higher speeds than 100mph. The extra consumption required extra fuel stops negating any hoped-for advantage of driving faster.

That's interesting. On my first trip to Germany, the taxi driver moved to the left and maintained 160-170kph. After sending a picture of the speedo to my brother (of course) I thought there must be a reason why he was keeping it in that zone. I hadn't thought about optimal speed + fuel consumption.

GregL
12-04-2019, 11:35 AM
One of my favorite tracks, by the way, is not far from you. :)
Watkins Glen is a blast, on four wheels or two. There was a bike race held there for years. It was my favorite road race of the year, held annually around the summer solstice so that we could race until nearly 9PM. I could usually ride the boot faster than anyone else in my pack based on my auto racing experience. Hit turn 6 just right and you could coast halfway through turn 7 without turning a pedal. I'm the knucklehead on the right, dragging the masters pack down the main straight.

Greg

72gmc
12-04-2019, 11:42 AM
^^^ thread drift, but how did you feel about the track surface when you were on a bike? I used to race at SIR (now Pacific Raceway, outside of Seattle). I really enjoyed the twisty parts and the uphill stretches as I was a skinny kid, but it was a downright tire-marble-and-car-fluid-enhanced skating rink in the rain. Of course, the main straight was also a drag strip.

Gsinill
12-04-2019, 12:00 PM
Assuming that all the stop time was required for refueling, they could have shaved off at least another 7 minutes using a TDI ;)

GregL
12-04-2019, 03:40 PM
^^^ thread drift, but how did you feel about the track surface when you were on a bike? I used to race at SIR (now Pacific Raceway, outside of Seattle). I really enjoyed the twisty parts and the uphill stretches as I was a skinny kid, but it was a downright tire-marble-and-car-fluid-enhanced skating rink in the rain. Of course, the main straight was also a drag strip.
Watkins Glen is/was generally smooth for a bike race course. Prior to repaving in 2015-2016, there were a few areas where pavement joints were a bit sketchy. The toe of the boot was the worst since you went in to it at speed and then climbed steeply for a short distance. I had a rear wheel slide out enough in that corner to require some quick bike handling to stay upright. After the new pavement, it was an absolute joy to ride. Smooth, wide, no dogs and no cars!

As you noted, rain was an entirely different experience. The 2015 race was held under intermittent rain showers. The rain stopped around the same time as the first races finished. The first round of races had so many crashes that the second round was delayed 30 minutes to allow all the ambulances to return from the local hospital. When my field was on the start grid, the rain started again. Having driven cars on wet tracks, I warned my teammates to stay on the front and be very careful holding their lines. As we finished lap one, I heard that terrible combination of sounds that meant a big crash behind me. A lap later, I found out one of my teammates had hit the deck hard and was on his way to the hospital. Fortunately, he was not seriously injured - just the "usual" broken collarbone. We all ended up at the hospital checking on our injured friend. Nearly every bed in the emergency room was occupied by a bike racer...

Greg

Ken Robb
12-04-2019, 04:22 PM
i've spent some time on auto racetracks (hpde, not competition), and a really curious thing happens when you leave to go home.

amen!

gasman
12-04-2019, 08:16 PM
Okay it's really dumb but the first "race " was when I was in H.S. in '71 and a buddy and I poured over Car and Driver every month. Brock Yates wrote for the magazine and he was very entertaining.

He's his article from a later race:

https://www.cottonowens.com/archives/Cannonball_Run.php

Yates knew it was dumb and pulled the plug on it when when it was gaining popularity before something bad happened, like dying.

I'm amazed these guys made such a fast time. Lots of inside info, luck and planning. Plus, one heck of a car.

Hellgate
12-04-2019, 08:27 PM
Awesome read! Thanks for sharing.

charliedid
12-04-2019, 08:49 PM
The point is that they are interacting with the clueless (and the law-abiding) at something approximating twice the typical speed of traffic. Physics doesn't give them a break because they are skilled drivers, and it doesn't matter who was right or wrong when someone is dead.

This is social irresponsibility in the extreme.

According to the article, no one died.

Jaybee
12-04-2019, 09:04 PM
According to the article, no one died.

True, but the lack of negative outcomes (this time) doesn't mean the process was good. It's impossible to argue in good faith that they didn't significantly raise the risk of incident for the other drivers whose paths they crossed. If that's not socially irresponsible, I don't know what is.

charliedid
12-04-2019, 09:12 PM
True, but the lack of negative outcomes (this time) doesn't mean the process was good. It's impossible to argue in good faith that they didn't significantly raise the risk of incident for the other drivers whose paths they crossed. If that's not socially irresponsible, I don't know what is.

I know but in this case it all worked out and if the article is true nobody has ever died attempting this. That could be BS who knows. I guess I just don't see that many people undertaking this sort of thing in earnest, so to me it stands as a very rare circumstance that seems to have a solid record. Weird and certainly dangerous with serious risk but few can really comprehend what it would take let alone try it for real.

Also, people drive 100+ mph all the time and don't die, they just don't do it for 27 hours at a shot :-)

I won't feel less or more safe knowing this happens while out driving.

Humans do really cool things sometimes. Sometimes they are stupid.

Likes2ridefar
12-04-2019, 10:56 PM
I ran across this article yesterday evening. My first thought it was pretty interesting and I liked the detail they put to achieve the record.

My second thought was all three men and those that supported them should lose their driving privileges in the USA for the rest their lives.

HenryA
12-05-2019, 06:31 AM
Back in the day of Brock Yates and Car and Driver, I hung on every word he wrote and especially about the Cannonball. Being young and somewhat foolish I emulated the stunt in part on several trips from the east to Wyoming and Montana. It was not hard at all to average above 80 for the entire trip time, driving straight through. This in a car that topped out at a little above 100. A german made Opel. Pretty fun car. 100 watt high beams and Hella rally lights :) CB radio was useful too. At night it was just you and the truckers - very high signal to noise ratio about the important stuff like where the police were hiding.

How it went was that once you got to mid Missouri, you just pegged it and kept your passenger attention on the radar detector. A little farther on and the western states had effectively no speed limits, and not much enforcement. The big 18 wheelers were all running 90 so you didn’t stick out going a little faster. One thing that was observable at the time was that lapses to attention just weren’t. Driving like that tended to focus one’s attention tightly.

Traffic was seemingly less than half what is is today. Maybe only a third. I cannot imagine what this latest run must have been like with the higher speeds and all the traffic.

(We were idiots)

redir
12-05-2019, 07:31 AM
I ran across this article yesterday evening. My first thought it was pretty interesting and I liked the detail they put to achieve the record.

My second thought was all three men and those that supported them should lose their driving privileges in the USA for the rest their lives.

LOL. I think I've come around to the same feeling. It's fascinating but criminal. And here's the problem, I used the example of free solo climbing before and it's pertinent, kind of like down hill mountain biking too. It's gotten SO extreme and these records are on the brink of physically impossible to break that someone is going to get in over their heads trying and someone is going to end up dead.

I saw the video and the one guy said something like, "doing the cannonball is a total expression of freedom." Yeah buddy sure. Your expression of freedom but F everyone eases right?

But in the end, yeah, what a hell of a feat!

josephr
12-05-2019, 07:39 AM
yawn....anyone who's completed an Iron Butt rally is far more impressive.

RFC
12-05-2019, 08:14 AM
Yes, stupid and unsafe, and I totally dig it!

oldpotatoe
12-05-2019, 08:24 AM
And here's the problem, I used the example of free solo climbing before and it's pertinent, kind of like down hill mountain biking too. It's gotten SO extreme and these records are on the brink of physically impossible to break that someone is going to get in over their heads trying and someone is going to end up dead.

I think BASE jumping is more related..jumping off tall buildings and then getting snagged by the cops when ya land, they always have a big smile as they get arrested...IF you don't hit somebody after your chute fails..

Google-foo some videos, easy to find them..too painful to post here..:eek:

GregL
12-05-2019, 08:30 AM
I saw the video and the one guy said something like, "doing the cannonball is a total expression of freedom." Yeah buddy sure. Your expression of freedom but F everyone eases right?
This is the part of US culture that is so frustrating to me. I support everyone's right to expression. I don't support your rights causing danger to others. If you want to drive fast, there are many legal ways to do so that don't put the lives and safety of non-participants at risk. Autocross, track time trials, SCCA regional racing, drag racing, dirt track racing, etc... Same thing applies to many other life activities. I like to race my bike. I do so in race events with other people who also accept the risks associated with the sport. I don't and won't take the same risks on a group ride on public roads. With great freedom comes great responsibility. Our culture seems to have missed/lost the responsibility part...

Greg

Blue Jays
12-05-2019, 08:35 AM
"...modified Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG with driver, navigator, and spotter using gyro-stabilized binoculars, computers, and coupled with gimbal-mounted thermal scope to watch for deer..."

Not for nothing, yet as a cyclist, I am far more concerned about distracted and pot-smoking 18 y.o. kids, driving their clapped-out 1988 Ford Taurus, with three bald tires and a donut spare, making Facebook updates at 40 mph...than I am about the drivers in the article.

:banana:

mulp
12-05-2019, 08:57 AM
Not sure if this was already posted but the driver posted a youtube video on the tech he used during the drive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWqpYHHNgXA

I was surprised he had a spotter using binoculars!

Tickdoc
12-05-2019, 09:14 AM
Massive amount of luck and planning involved here. Stupid? Hell yes, but we can go any number of ways and what a way to go! FWIW I almost perished and/or killed someone yesterday evening crossing a highway with a median. Opposing car was also crossing, but they were turning with no blinker and we both ventured across at the same time. I was honked at as they narrowly turned in front of me. I was in our old Ranch truck and they were in a little ricebox. Gotta love the audacity to honk at me when I clearly had the right of way. I can only imagine if these hooligans happened across the highway at this time....and they crossed thousands of those highway intersection scenarios on this little more than a day long trip.

cash05458
12-05-2019, 09:16 AM
This is the part of US culture that is so frustrating to me. I support everyone's right to expression. I don't support your rights causing danger to others. If you want to drive fast, there are many legal ways to do so that don't put the lives and safety of non-participants at risk. Autocross, track time trials, SCCA regional racing, drag racing, dirt track racing, etc... Same thing applies to many other life activities. I like to race my bike. I do so in race events with other people who also accept the risks associated with the sport. I don't and won't take the same risks on a group ride on public roads. With great freedom comes great responsibility. Our culture seems to have missed/lost the responsibility part...

Greg

I get your point Greg...but via responsibility just being lost...well, we have more laws regulating pretty much everything in the states...3 guys going over the speed limit by about 30 miles an hour ain't anything to get your panties in an uproar about the "moral" state of a culture...faux outrage as far as I am concerned of the get off my lawn you kids sort...fact is is that folks break laws every day...I think I remember reading that if followed to the "letter " of perfect behavior most americans somehow break the law numerous times per day without even knowing it...even at a felony level...you want perfect law abiding citizens? check out Singapore...there they give public beatings for spitting out chewing gum on a sidewalk...but you can bet the trains run on time for sure...the folks here hoping that these guys now get tossed in prison are pretty over the top...yeah, by the letter of the law those kids shouldn't be on your lawn, but maybe have a drink and let them play and let it go...

rallizes
12-05-2019, 09:19 AM
Massive amount of luck and planning involved here. Stupid? Hell yes, but we can go any number of ways and what a way to go! FWIW I almost perished and/or killed someone yesterday evening crossing a highway with a median. Opposing car was also crossing, but they were turning with no blinker and we both ventured across at the same time. I was honked at as they narrowly turned in front of me. I was in our old Ranch truck and they were in a little ricebox. Gotta love the audacity to honk at me when I clearly had the right of way. I can only imagine if these hooligans happened across the highway at this time....and they crossed thousands of those highway intersection scenarios on this little more than a day long trip.

I guess being run over by these idiots would be one way

oh and "ricebox"? really?

benb
12-05-2019, 09:26 AM
Who says they're good drivers? Good drivers don't engage in behaviors that result in a loss of license and jail time. There's no mention that they actually have "good driver" credentials as in racing experience.

More like self entitled rich guys with little respect for others looking for some fame.

Not sure how we think that M-B is safe for this kind of behavior either.

The article also makes explicit mention the car didn't have:
- A Roll cage
- Upgraded brakes
- Upgraded suspension

They didn't wear helmets or other items that responsible racers would wear.

They got lucky. And I salute their ingenuity at evading the police. That's the impressive part here.

Flagrant speeders always claim they are better drivers than everyone else. But then they seem to have catastrophic crashes eventually. Usually the flagrant speeders on the roads spend little time at the track where they'd get a wake up call about their actual skill level.

charliedid
12-05-2019, 09:49 AM
Who says they're good drivers? Good drivers don't engage in behaviors that result in a loss of license and jail time. There's no mention that they actually have "good driver" credentials as in racing experience.

More like self entitled rich guys with little respect for others looking for some fame.

Not sure how we think that M-B is safe for this kind of behavior either.

The article also makes explicit mention the car didn't have:
- A Roll cage
- Upgraded brakes
- Upgraded suspension

They didn't wear helmets or other items that responsible racers would wear.

They got lucky. And I salute their ingenuity at evading the police. That's the impressive part here.

Flagrant speeders always claim they are better drivers than everyone else. But then they seem to have catastrophic crashes eventually. Usually the flagrant speeders on the roads spend little time at the track where they'd get a wake up call about their actual skill level.

Thanks Dad!

Me, I think they are good drivers. :)

redir
12-05-2019, 09:49 AM
I get your point Greg...but via responsibility just being lost...well, we have more laws regulating pretty much everything in the states...3 guys going over the speed limit by about 30 miles an hour ain't anything to get your panties in an uproar about the "moral" state of a culture...faux outrage as far as I am concerned of the get off my lawn you kids sort...fact is is that folks break laws every day...I think I remember reading that if followed to the "letter " of perfect behavior most americans somehow break the law numerous times per day without even knowing it...even at a felony level...you want perfect law abiding citizens? check out Singapore...there they give public beatings for spitting out chewing gum on a sidewalk...but you can bet the trains run on time for sure...the folks here hoping that these guys now get tossed in prison are pretty over the top...yeah, by the letter of the law those kids shouldn't be on your lawn, but maybe have a drink and let them play and let it go...

193MPH is well just a little bit more then 30MPH over the limit. Driving is a privilege not a right. The roads are public spaces. A license to drive is essentially a contract. Clearly they broke that. Should they not be met with consequences for their actions? My guess is your attitude would be a lot different if a friend or family member was killed by someone doing 193MPH down the highway becasue he was exercising his freedumb. I'd dare say you might even be a bit outraged ;)

charliedid
12-05-2019, 09:51 AM
I guess being run over by these idiots would be one way

Gonna have to agree.

benb
12-05-2019, 09:52 AM
They clearly have the money to go to the track to prove to the world that they're good drivers.

sipmeister
12-05-2019, 10:25 AM
Not for nothing, yet as a cyclist, I am far more concerned about distracted and pot-smoking 18 y.o. kids, driving their clapped-out 1988 Ford Taurus, with three bald tires and a donut spare, making Facebook updates at 40 mph...than I am about the drivers in the article.

:banana:

I'd have to agree. I see folks every day driving around looking at the interior of their car (phones, gadgets, shaving, whatever) than at the exterior of the car, at the actual traffic around them. That's who needs to be arrested if ya really wanna arrest somebody (which sounds extreme by the way). Or better yet, yank their license for a year and make em walk. Make em take public trans and see how they like it. Driving isn't a right, ya earn it or you lose it. Most people in Europe can't afford or have room to store a car. That's the background I come from, so having this privilege in the US to actually drive, that's not something to be taken for granted.
I'm sensing a fallacy here that there are drivers out there who expect everybody around them to be super safe, alert and experienced. You're essentially expecting other people to watch out for you. That's a dangerous mindset to be in.
Back on topic thought, I'm thinking once they open up the left lane of the freeways we see this record come down closer to 24 hrs. It'll also flush people off the road who shouldn't be there anyway. And yes, I have sped a time or two.

Tickdoc
12-05-2019, 10:52 AM

sorry, wrong term....rice-burner.

cash05458
12-05-2019, 11:00 AM
193MPH is well just a little bit more then 30MPH over the limit. Driving is a privilege not a right. The roads are public spaces. A license to drive is essentially a contract. Clearly they broke that. Should they not be met with consequences for their actions? My guess is your attitude would be a lot different if a friend or family member was killed by someone doing 193MPH down the highway becasue he was exercising his freedumb. I'd dare say you might even be a bit outraged ;)

maybe...but things happen all the time over this nation...for all sorts of reasons...terrible stuff of course...but I do think this country has a freakish fetish for law and a neurosis via every one of these threads about anyone doing anything interesting that somehow "might, but didn't hurt anyone" and the faux outrage......but you go ahead a wear a helmet if you like while walking...never know, it could save your ass...:hello:

Ozz
12-05-2019, 11:02 AM
maybe......but I do think this country has a freakish fetish for law...:hello:

yeah, civilization is funny that way.....;)

echappist
12-05-2019, 11:11 AM

Greg

well said

sorry, wrong term....rice-burner.

you sure mastered the art of the non-apology apology...

also, the irony of a Volvo XC90 owner saying that is probably lost on you

cash05458
12-05-2019, 11:23 AM
yeah, civilization is funny that way.....;)

and what happens with that? getting and feeling better? feeling safer? uh huh...

Ozz
12-05-2019, 11:35 AM
and what happens with that? getting and feeling better? feeling safer? uh huh...

Knowing that my neighbor is not going to come into my house and rob me, because he knows that it is against the law? Yeah, I do feel better and safer.

You may have missed my "winking face" meant to convey that I get your point about "freakish fetish" with the law....lots of stupid laws out there...but laws that protect me from the stupidity of others....those are good ones.

choke
12-05-2019, 11:49 AM
I applaud their effort.....that was a Hell of a drive.

Since everyone is talking about laws, I think speed limits should be illegal outside of urban areas. I remember driving in Montana when the speed limit was "reasonable and prudent" with fondness.

GregL
12-05-2019, 12:17 PM
Thanks, you said it much better than I did. To average 104 for 27+ hours means that you spent a lot of time well above that number. 193 on public roads? Permanent revocation of driving privileges in my book.

Greg

cash05458
12-05-2019, 12:21 PM
"Knowing that my neighbor is not going to come into my house and rob me, because he knows that it is against the law? Yeah, I do feel better and safer."

Bingo...yes, that is what laws are for...this story has nothing to do with that...unless you want to make a nation like your house...which it isn't...I can get the neurosis that some feel that noone ever should break a law anywhere and if so for the slightest and then demand punishment...I get it...but it is endless...and "public" safety is the first flag to go that endless route...for instance, you read a story about a few guys who speed across the nation and break some laws...you weren't there...noone was hurt...but you take a stand about guys charging into your own home and harassing your wife and kids...this is the problem with law and order...it gets hysterical...

But this stuff goes way back...

Blue Jays
12-05-2019, 12:42 PM
"...it gets hysterical..."
Exactly. There were three very focused people co-piloting that $170,000 vehicle that was dripping with the latest hardware technology.
Fresh tires. Fresh brakes. Highly-tuned car.

193 mph? They likely reached that speed for less than ten seconds in the middle of some dry, desolate, sun-drenched, and lonely desert.

Heck...I see nitwits driving around here at night at 65 mph with yellow headlights barely shining through oxidized headlamp lenses.
The glow of the smartphone in their laps is actually brighter. I am far more concerned about THAT individual causing harm to others.

azrider
12-05-2019, 01:04 PM
$170,000 vehicle that was dripping with the latest hardware technology..

This meme had me rollin :p:p:p

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191205/d5eeb64d249028739e2e8c4390024fe4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tickdoc
12-05-2019, 01:09 PM
well said

you sure mastered the art of the non-apology apology...

also, the irony of a Volvo XC90 owner saying that is probably lost on you

My first three cars were Japanese and I called them Rice cars or rice burners as well. I just didn't realize a rice box refers to a playstation. I speak openly and don't take offense to that terminology. Cars are pretty global now. Trucks from American companies not made here, hell Toyota makes the most American truck produced! Mercedes SUV's not made in Germany, Chinese designed Swedish cars. I mean we've had Mexican made bugs for eons now.

Blue Jays
12-05-2019, 01:10 PM
"...This meme had me rollin [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]..."
LOL! That is funny.

benb
12-05-2019, 01:25 PM
The weird thing about defending this is they did nothing of value.

What they've contributed to society by doing this is on par with trying to drink a gallon of milk without throwing up on your Youtube channel.

weisan
12-05-2019, 01:29 PM
95 honda Accord manual....260,000 miles, barely broken in...
http://alicehui.com/bike/springbreak2017/c18_r.jpg

cash05458
12-05-2019, 01:35 PM

What they've contributed to society by doing this is on par with trying to drink a gallon of milk without throwing up on your Youtube channel.

damn...if the tag is contributing to the good of society is your deal...you definitely have a LOT of room for that one...good luck there and best wishes ...

unterhausen
12-05-2019, 01:46 PM
I'm struck by the fact that most people have no idea how any given car will react to a small upset at these kinds of speeds. It's not too hard to find videos of purpose-built race cars flipping due to too much air underneath the car. And then we have this incident where a Porsche Boxter ended up in the second floor of a building: (warning, autoplay video) https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Car-Crashes-Into-New-Jersey-Toms-River-Buildings-Second-Floor-Killing-2-564723642.html

cash05458
12-05-2019, 01:52 PM
"When all is said and done, there will be three kinds of reactions to an achievement of this kind. One will be outright indignation that anyone would endanger public safety by traveling at such speeds."

indeed...

HenryA
12-05-2019, 01:55 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/when-everything-is-a-crime/2015/04/08/1929ab88-dd43-11e4-be40-566e2653afe5_story.html

When everything is a crime. ^^^^^^^

I’ve never gone 193 mph on land.
I’d like to.
Am I bad?

When I was a kid we rode motorcycles not wearing helmets in spite of the law. The local deputies would wave as we met going down the road. That would never work out so easy today.

Is that bad?

cash05458
12-05-2019, 02:08 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/when-everything-is-a-crime/2015/04/08/1929ab88-dd43-11e4-be40-566e2653afe5_story.html

When everything is a crime. ^^^^^^^

I’ve never gone 193 mph on land.
I’d like to.
Am I bad?

When I was a kid we rode motorcycles not wearing helmets in spite of the law. The local deputies would wave as we met going down the road. That would never work out so easy today.

Is that bad?

no and of course it isn't...but you would prolly get folks here making you feel guilty about it...should their kids do the same, you might be responsible for promoting non puritanical values and then where would this society be? At that point, it might be total anarchy and chaos...way to go...:no:

cash05458
12-05-2019, 02:19 PM
I remember quite a few years back...when Sagan slapped that girls ass on the podium...all sorts of men here on this forum said they would never watch another bike race with him in it ever again...total boycott of anything with sagan in it as it was just so offending...it promotes so much bad etc etc...we have daughters after all! OUTRAGEOUS! The moral outrage stance is endless...it really is...they will always find something to be very very upset about...couple guys speeding in a car and they are ready to throw the jail key away themselves....

benb
12-05-2019, 02:21 PM
If you want to go 193mph on a motorcycle there are no shortage of race tracks where you can do so. Most sportbikes can hit their max speeds without needing that long of a straight. If you actually wanted to go 190 you probably need to go to some big track like Daytona and ride a 1000cc race replica. I hear it's really really frightening though cause to do that you're also going to go through the banked corners at 150+ mph and that's really nuts.

For a car? A lot harder cause they're slow and you need a big track or you need a really serious race car.

Makes me wonder if this M-B would have passed inspection at the track. For going close to 200mph I bet it would not have.

The point about this having no value is this was no Robin Hood act. It didn't contribute anything and had a large risk to other people.

Base Jumping, wingsuit proximity flying, etc.. are all against the law like this in a lot of locations.. but if you break those laws and screw up you mostly just kill yourself. These guys did something that had a way higher chance of harming someone else who didn't sign up to be in a car race.

jlwdm
12-05-2019, 02:22 PM
I have had a sedan that does 191 mph for almost 2 1/2 years but have never had it over 100 mph. I have had it right at 100 mph many times - which is just cruising speed.

I drive at the track a lot, but not with this car.

Jeff

MattTuck
12-05-2019, 02:23 PM
The world is complex and "contains multitudes". This "accomplishment" can be both reckless endangerment and interesting. There is no reason it has to be one or the other.

redir
12-05-2019, 02:41 PM
maybe...but things happen all the time over this nation...for all sorts of reasons...terrible stuff of course...but I do think this country has a freakish fetish for law and a neurosis via every one of these threads about anyone doing anything interesting that somehow "might, but didn't hurt anyone" and the faux outrage......but you go ahead a wear a helmet if you like while walking...never know, it could save your ass...:hello:

It's not like I don't know what you are saying, I do. But jaywalking is not driving 193mph down the highways so I'll stand by that. And yes I'm still glad I live in a free country that allows me to ride my bike with no helmet. My friends on the other had, and many of you forumites, will still give me shiz over it ;)

yngpunk
12-05-2019, 02:52 PM
My first three cars were Japanese and I called them Rice cars or rice burners as well. I just didn't realize a rice box refers to a playstation. I speak openly and don't take offense to that terminology. Cars are pretty global now. Trucks from American companies not made here, hell Toyota makes the most American truck produced! Mercedes SUV's not made in Germany, Chinese designed Swedish cars. I mean we've had Mexican made bugs for eons now.

Haven't seen one in awhile, but used to see a lot of them with "Got Rice?" bumper stickers.

makoti
12-05-2019, 05:08 PM

We had a DJ get fired one day (really fast, so may have been more to it) for describing a certain motorcycle as a "rice burner". Said it at 4, off the air at 420, back on to apologize at 445, gone the next day.

Hellgate
12-05-2019, 08:18 PM

What they've contributed to society by doing this is on par with trying to drink a gallon of milk without throwing up on your Youtube channel.No different from a bicycle race then.

makoti
12-05-2019, 08:20 PM
No different from a bicycle race then.

Those two things relate...how?

Hellgate
12-05-2019, 08:23 PM
Those two things relate...how?"Nothing of value." Per his definition.

charliedid
12-05-2019, 08:58 PM
I'm struck by the fact that most people have no idea how any given car will react to a small upset at these kinds of speeds. It's not too hard to find videos of purpose-built race cars flipping due to too much air underneath the car. And then we have this incident where a Porsche Boxter ended up in the second floor of a building: (warning, autoplay video) https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Car-Crashes-Into-New-Jersey-Toms-River-Buildings-Second-Floor-Killing-2-564723642.html

And then we have that thing where these three guys in a sick-ass Benz and piles of digital and analogue tech drove fast as all get out (faster than anyone apparently) like super fast from NYC to L.A. and didn't hit a Russian air pocket that threw them sky high, flipping and landing on a federally funded nursery school for poor foster kids...where all the kids died in a pile of burning plastic chairs and nap time carpet squares.

Let's keep things on topic folks, this is a story about life not death.

Live it.

RFC
12-05-2019, 09:02 PM
Please, I sincerely hope that no one takes offense at my comments. No offense intended.

To use a descriptive phrase, I am very surprised by the number of "Aunt Nancy" responses to this this achievement.

Yes, it's somewhat stupid and dangerous, but it's the type of occasional off the grid accomplishment that inspires and keeps the "what if" juices flowing.

If that team offered me the opportunity to be the spotter, I'd have to think about it long and hard. I've done dumber things.

For example, while working the night side of a Missouri newspaper when I was 21 and my cerebral cortex was not completely developed, I would drive my co worker's Jaguars at 150 mph on back highways in the middle of the night. Never again, at least that fast.

Cheers

Clean39T
12-05-2019, 09:21 PM
Nvrmnd, not worth it.

RFC
12-05-2019, 09:22 PM
So I'm not a "real man" because I think these attention craving fools should be forced to do long, hard community service for years to make up for their egregiously selfish and asinine behavior on public roads?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

It's not a real man issue. I appreciate your opinion.

peanutgallery
12-05-2019, 09:36 PM
20 some odd minutes of non moving time. Think about that

RFC
12-05-2019, 09:41 PM
20 some odd minutes of non moving time. Think about that
They must have been using the trucker's helper.

peanutgallery
12-05-2019, 09:55 PM
A chimpanzee in the front seat or a CB?

They must have been using the trucker's helper.

theboucher
12-05-2019, 11:09 PM
I can't believe how many people on a bike forum have been brainwashed by car culture.

I gotta stop reading the general discussion topics - they make me too angry.

oldpotatoe
12-06-2019, 06:22 AM
Please, I sincerely hope that no one takes offense at my comments. No offense intended.

To use a descriptive phrase, I am very surprised by the number of "Aunt Nancy" responses to this this achievement.

Yes, it's somewhat stupid and dangerous, but it's the type of occasional off the grid accomplishment that inspires and keeps the "what if" juices flowing.

If that team offered me the opportunity to be the spotter, I'd have to think about it long and hard. I've done dumber things.

For example, while working the night side of a Missouri newspaper when I was 21 and my cerebral cortex was not completely developed, I would drive my co worker's Jaguars at 150 mph on back highways in the middle of the night. Never again, at least that fast.

Cheers
Wha??? About tubulars??:eek:

Interesting discussion, speaks volumes about this here United States these days....personal rights, privileges, and responsibilities..with what's a benefit to society thrown in..

Got the popcorn!! Even at 5:22 AM

rain dogs
12-06-2019, 06:36 AM
So many things can be said about this. I have to fight myself to not say them. But none of them matter other than:

In 2018, speeding killed 9,378 people in the US. Nothing else... not distracted driving, not poor skills, not drinking, not dope..... nothing. but. speeding.

9,378. I wonder how many were cyclists? I wonder when I'm going to get killed by someone who thinks driving fast is inspiring? Or my wife while riding? Or your wife? Or your son?

This act is inspiring? Darn right it is inspiring, to certain people, and that there is the problem.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/risky-driving/speeding

Clancy
12-06-2019, 06:45 AM

True, but someone hitting me at 35 mph while texting is far different than being rear ended by a car doing 145.

I have mixed feelings. The car geek in me is fascinated, while the old guy in me is shaking his head

zap
12-06-2019, 07:02 AM
In 2018, speeding killed 9,378 people in the US. Nothing else... not distracted driving, not poor skills, not drinking, not dope..... nothing. but. speeding.

One has to look at raw data......say if speeding was listed as primary but the driver was doped, distracted....you get the idea. And come on, not poor skills.....

If one thinks the US has a big car culture, it is peanuts compared to Europe. The Greens have been trying to kill the no speed limit sections of Autobahn for decades.

Pretty interesting driving 130mph on a autobahn and then have some tiny old bloke peeking over a steering wheel blast by you in a 911. Then come back to the US or Canada and drive.......its pathetically slow, the vast majority of driving distracted.....I would much rather have focused speeders.

Plus cycling is safer in speed crazed Germany, France......

Black Dog
12-06-2019, 07:02 AM
A few folks here are forgetting that freedom and rights are predicated on one simple fact: My rights end exactly where your rights begin. These guys, and everyone who acts recklessly in a manner that puts others at risk have threatened the very freedom they are expressing by violating the rights of others to not be harmed through the actions of others. How free is anyone who has to live in fear from those who are being "free"? :bike:

Clancy
12-06-2019, 07:20 AM
A few folks here are forgetting that freedom and rights are predicated on one simple fact: My rights end exactly where your rights begin. These guys, and everyone who acts recklessly in a manner that puts others at risk have threatened the very freedom they are expressing by violating the rights of others to not be harmed through the actions of others. How free is anyone who has to live in fear from those who are being "free"? :bike:

Oh Canada, where people are civil.

In Texas, where people shoot each other over their “right” to a parking space, not so much!

peanutgallery
12-06-2019, 07:39 AM
You can tell that winter is here:)

Put on a fresh undergarment, take a deep breath and relax. Thank Zeus that you have capacity and ability to reason

Black Dog
12-06-2019, 07:40 AM
So many things can be said about this. I have to fight myself to not say them. But none of them matter other than:

9,378. I wonder how many were cyclists? I wonder when I'm going to get killed by someone who thinks driving fast is inspiring? Or my wife while riding? Or your wife? Or your son?

This act is inspiring? Darn right it is inspiring, to certain people, and that there is the problem.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/risky-driving/speeding

Agree. However, people think, really think that it will never happen to them when they speed, and even extend that thinking to the guys in the article because of the car, the tech etc.... I could not find the part of the article that explained how they were able to control the laws of physics to prevent a catastrophic outcome.

I will echo what has been said before. To those who applaud this event; how would you feel if you or someone close to you were hurt or killed by the actions of these guys?

HenryA
12-06-2019, 08:11 AM
I don’t know which is more dangerous, driving across the country at an average speed of 103mph or riding a bicycle out on the roads where only cars belong while wearing tight lycra stretch pants with your ass stuck up in the air.

It all seems so dangerous.

Skenry
12-06-2019, 08:17 AM
9378 people killed by speeding in '18, out of 327,200,000 people..?
That's a 0.000028% likelyhood. Wow, we should all go cower in our saferooms and start wearing helmets as we walk.

A bunch of nannies talking about this crew like they all died and/or left a trail of bodies behind them. They did an amazing feat of human accomplishment and should be celebrated. I think they set the record in a car because their balls were way too huge to even fit on a saddle to take on the RAAM record.

God bless them and those of us who are here to witness them.

AngryScientist
12-06-2019, 08:27 AM
9378 people killed by speeding in '18, out of 327,200,000 people..?
That's a 0.000028% likelyhood. Wow, we should all go cower in our saferooms and start wearing helmets as we walk.

A bunch of nannies talking about this crew like they all died and/or left a trail of bodies behind them. They did an amazing feat of human accomplishment and should be celebrated. I think they set the record in a car because their balls were way too huge to even fit on a saddle to take on the RAAM record.

God bless them and those of us who are here to witness them.

exactly the kind of crap that gets threads closed.

calling people nannies and opining about "huge balls". that's simply not the level of discourse we're going to tolerate here.