PDA

View Full Version : Recovery Drink?

Chief
12-31-2006, 02:33 PM
When I finish riding, my calves exhibit an involuntary quivering. There is no feeling associated with this action and I have no other symptoms. A neurosurgeon that I ride with claims it is due to an electrolyte inbalance. I only drink water during my rides primarily because I don't like the taste of most sports drinks--too sweet. Nevertheless, I'm thinking that I could benefit from a recovery drink.

1) Has anybody else experienced this sensation or am I the only oddball?

2) What recovery drink do you recommend?

dave thompson
12-31-2006, 02:59 PM
When I finish riding, my calves exhibit an involuntary quivering. There is no feeling associated with this action and I have no other symptoms. A neurosurgeon that I ride with claims it is due to an electrolyte inbalance. I only drink water during my rides primarily because I don't like the taste of most sports drinks--too sweet. Nevertheless, I'm thinking that I could benefit from a recovery drink.

1) Has anybody else experienced this sensation or am I the only oddball?

2) What recovery drink do you recommend?
On several occasions I've had my quads go nuts, to the tune that I'd have to stop and massage them for 10~15 minutes. Strange feeling having only one group of muscles doing something on their own.

As for recovery drinks, I use Endurox for en route as well as post ride.

Kevan
12-31-2006, 03:23 PM
after a hard ride my calves look like worms are coursing through them, like a thousand nerve signals causing the muscles to twitch all over the place. It's a bit unsettling, but there's no pain associated and it grandually subsides over the next hour. My situation seems to be pretty dramatic, but muscle twitch is pretty common.

I've gone with the recovery drink others here have recommended... chocolate milk. I guess it works. It certainly tastes good.

Too Tall
12-31-2006, 03:29 PM
Take electrolytes DURING the ride bro!!! Recoverite (e-caps) is about the best easiest dealio.

fmbp
12-31-2006, 03:51 PM
I like and use the products from the Hammer company. While riding, I use Hammer HEED, and Recoverite for after riding. I find that when both are used, I re-hydrate much more quickly than if I only drink water. Both HEED and Recoverite are marketed as drinks that are not overly sweet, and I agree (when compared to Gatorade et al.).

Chief
12-31-2006, 03:54 PM
after a hard ride my calves look like worms are coursing through them, like a thousand nerve signals causing the muscles to twitch all over the place. It's a bit unsettling, but there's no pain associated and it grandually subsides over the next hour. My situation seems to be pretty dramatic, but muscle twitch is pretty common.

I've gone with the recovery drink others here have recommended... chocolate milk. I guess it works. It certainly tastes good.

Kevan, you described exactly my condition. WEIRD sensation!

sbornia
12-31-2006, 04:45 PM
+1 for HEED during longer rides and/or hot weather. Afterwards, I usually have orange juice + whey protein powder, or chocolate milk.

Climb01742
12-31-2006, 05:03 PM
+2 for various hammer products. tootall+manet clued me in on their stuff. highly recommended.

CSIRider
12-31-2006, 05:10 PM
One extremely hot summer a few years ago I was playing in a racquetball tournament and my opponent's calves kept locking up from cramps; he'd hobble off the court to take a break.

This happened three or four times before I suggested that his electrolytes were out of balance. "What's that?" he inquired.

I explained about water, sodium, and potassium. Understanding the first two, he asked what he could do to increase his potassium.

Without a thought I off-handedly replied, "no big deal. Just eat some bananas and sh**t.

"Bananas and sh**t? You've got to be kidding. I'll take the cramps."

Happy New Year!

Serotta_James
12-31-2006, 05:14 PM
I like Ultragen from First Endurance as a recovery beverage. It's tasty.

I'll put in another vote for the Heed as a during-ride drink.

manet
12-31-2006, 05:20 PM

woolly
12-31-2006, 05:37 PM
Ingredients:
1.0 pint Guinness Beer
1.0 shot Bailey Irish Cream
1.0 shot Jameson Rye/Whiskey

Directions:
Fill a pint glass 2/3 full with Guinness. Fill a double shot glass with the Bailey's and Jameson. Drop the shot glass into the pint of Guinness, and chug.

Tasty!

(Sorry, NYE is upon us, and this is how it started for me) ;)

Elefantino
12-31-2006, 06:00 PM

+1, or x2, depending on your math.

LegendRider
12-31-2006, 06:13 PM
Take electrolytes DURING the ride bro!!! Recoverite (e-caps) is about the best easiest dealio.

Yep and chocolate milk as a recovery drink.

dekindy
12-31-2006, 06:37 PM
Studies have shown that milk is a great recovery drink and chocolate is the best. I have talked to some veteran cyclists that claim to already know this and been doing it for years.

ChrisK
12-31-2006, 08:23 PM
This is very common among rock climbers. Particularly after standing on small holds for long periods. Having been active in that sport many years ago and having suffered "sewing machine leg" quite often I don't think there is anything you can do to completely stop it. Stretching and flexing the muscle provides some relief.

If I had this problem often on after riding I might try moving my cleat back. Some calf strengthening exercises might also help. In the end it always goes away so I don't worry about it much.

bozman
01-01-2007, 06:59 PM
Chief,
I have to echo the pro-Hammer sentiments expressed previously. Try this during your rides:
http://www.e-caps.com/za/ECP?PAGE=PRODUCT&CAT=ELECT&PROD.ID=4037&OMI=10104,10082,10047&AMI=10104