PDA

View Full Version : Paul at 30

JLQ
12-03-2019, 06:43 AM
If there are three things I like, Paul components, purple anodizing and the ability to open a beer are them. Loving this 30th anniversary group.

avalonracing
12-03-2019, 07:12 AM
That is a damn fine looking $1989.00 brake set.

https://www.paulcomp.com/shop/limited-edition/limited-edition-30th-anniversary-box-set/

oldpotatoe
12-03-2019, 08:17 AM
That is a damn fine looking $1989.00 brake set.

https://www.paulcomp.com/shop/limited-edition/limited-edition-30th-anniversary-box-set/

Yee gads..:eek:

buddybikes
12-03-2019, 08:55 AM
One way for a company to generate 60K of revenue (at most)... (only 30 sets being made)

They should of designed a matching 11 speed derailleur and then charged 3K

zzy
12-03-2019, 09:22 AM
Considering how bulky and ugly the Klampers are, I would love to see Paul try to design and fabricate a rear mech with their CNC tooling. But yeah, nothing says Paul like $2k for some mediocre mech disc brakeset and a seatpost collar. Oh and a bottle opener..

tuscanyswe
12-03-2019, 09:23 AM
I cant help to think things like these hurt the brand more so than helping it in the long run? Or is this just me beeing naive again.

I mean for me, doing this stuff just makes it closer to a company that i would rather not buy from when i see stuff like this.

hokoman
12-03-2019, 09:35 AM
Considering how bulky and ugly the Klampers are, I would love to see Paul try to design and fabricate a rear mech with their CNC tooling. But yeah, nothing says Paul like $2k for some mediocre mech disc brakeset and a seatpost collar. Oh and a bottle opener..

You get the wood box too!

Oh, and paul did make a rear derailleur back in the 90's... looked pretty cool, crazy expensive for it's time.. did not work as well as Shimano.

marciero
12-03-2019, 09:55 AM
You get the wood box too!

and the boxes ARE really cool. Machined out of solid planks of wood, they are an over-the-top tribute to the CNC aesthetic. But rather than generic "planks of wood" they should have offered them in exotic (perhaps endangered) hardwoods. Brazillian rosewood. Bubinga. Purpleheart. Cocobolo

pdonk
12-03-2019, 10:19 AM
Glad I am not the only one scratching my head about this one.

Pair of Purple Love Levers = $158
Pair of Purple Clampers = $442
Pair of Purple Skewers = $137
Purple Seat clamp = $68
Total = $805

That is one expensive bottle opener and box.

The Chris King "Olive Box" anniversary group is totally reasonable at this rate. ($1976 for about $1200 "worth" of goods)

GOTHBROOKS
12-03-2019, 10:29 AM
nahbs builds only.
but also how many of those dura ace 25 or campy ics sets are actually being used as more than just bicycle display case fodder.

buddybikes
12-03-2019, 10:31 AM
What difference than people buying Silca allen wrenches

tctyres
12-03-2019, 10:32 AM
I think they are cool.
I'm not the intended audience at that pricepoint: 1989 for the year they started. I doubt they will ever produce anodized purple and pewter parts with polished cnc bits again.

But rather than generic "planks of wood" they should have offered them in exotic (perhaps endangered) hardwoods. Brazillian rosewood. Bubinga. Purpleheart. Cocobolo

I find the thought of consumption of endangered woods to package bike parts repulsive.

Paul chose something representative of themselves and their product line.

berserk87
12-03-2019, 10:38 AM
What difference than people buying Silca allen wrenches

Not much, that's for sure.

I do love my Paul Tall & Handsome seat post though. The only minor beef is that the anodization is wearing off rather quickly from putting it in the repair stand to clean my bike. Only had the post for a couple of months maybe.

That's a pretty minor beef, in my book. Otherwise I dig it. It offers lots of setback, seems very well-made, and is very easy to adjust in terms of access to the adjusting bolts. The clamping mechanism is not overly engineered (I'm looking at you, Cervelo, with the stinkeye).

It's certainly not cheap, but I don't switch posts often - usually until one of them starts to break - hopefully before failure.

marciero
12-03-2019, 10:47 AM
I find the thought of consumption of endangered woods to package bike parts repulsive.

Paul chose something representative of themselves and their product line.

You're right-Old growth Sequoia would be more in keeping with the Chico heritage!

Seriously-was just an (perhaps lame) attempt at humor.

redir
12-03-2019, 11:15 AM
The wooden box is cool but completely useless once you mount the brakes. Could have at least made it functional.

prototoast
12-03-2019, 11:22 AM
This is certainly well outside what I would consider paying for this, but honestly, so is Paul's normal priced components. Nonetheless, he certainly knows his customers better than I do, and has stayed in business for 30 years, and that's just awesome for the man. It certainly isn't inconceivable that there are 30 Paul aficionados out there who might want this--maybe because they appreciate the history of the man, maybe because they just like the guy and want to support him. Here in the bay area, there are plenty of people with more money than they'll ever know what to do with--you could certainly do a lot worse than getting some cool-looking components and supporting a great small business.

pbarry
12-03-2019, 12:09 PM
Just in case anyone missed these back in the day.

d_douglas
12-03-2019, 12:20 PM
Not to pile it on, but while those parts are gorgeous, I have a hard time justifying $600 for a brakeset when I can buy a set of XTs for less than half and they work twice as well.

I know this is irrelevant when we are ogling beautiful things and these are indeed beautiful.

72gmc
12-03-2019, 12:21 PM
^^^ it’s like they milled it from a single block of alloy!

Hellgate
12-03-2019, 12:26 PM
The wooden box is cool but completely useless once you mount the brakes. Could have at least made it functional.[emoji91] wood...

DeBike
12-03-2019, 12:40 PM
If someone wants them and can afford it, why knock it?

pdmtong
12-03-2019, 01:13 PM
Clever...

$1,989...that's 1989 + 30 years = 2019

Clean39T
12-03-2019, 01:29 PM
This is certainly well outside what I would consider paying for this, but honestly, so is Paul's normal priced components. Nonetheless, he certainly knows his customers better than I do, and has stayed in business for 30 years, and that's just awesome for the man. It certainly isn't inconceivable that there are 30 Paul aficionados out there who might want this--maybe because they appreciate the history of the man, maybe because they just like the guy and want to support him. Here in the bay area, there are plenty of people with more money than they'll ever know what to do with--you could certainly do a lot worse than getting some cool-looking components and supporting a great small business.

Exactly. If you have to ask why, it ain't for you...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

weaponsgrade
12-03-2019, 02:19 PM
Clever...

haha, cute.

If I had the means I'd buy two: one to build up and the other to keep in its wooden box and lovingly caressed on special occasions. Here's to another 30!

PacNW2Ford
12-03-2019, 02:35 PM

Well said. This is his way of celebrating making it 30 years and it is a fun way of doing it.

avalonracing
12-03-2019, 02:57 PM
Clever...

Smart too, because at $2019.00 they would be overpriced.

Ken Robb
12-03-2019, 03:42 PM
Smart too, because at $2019.00 they would be overpriced.

Bwahaha! :banana:

oldpotatoe
12-04-2019, 09:25 AM
nahbs builds only.
but also how many of those dura ace 25 or campy ics sets are actually being used as more than just bicycle display case fodder.

Mine are(on bikes that is)..50th and 80th..Campag, of course.