PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition question.

Pedro72
12-31-2006, 11:58 AM
One of my goals for this year is to get really lean. I ride a lot but have trouble losing those last few pounds. I know this probably boils down to eating too much or not eating the right things. I guess I've been adhering to the classic cyclist diet which consists of "fueling up" on tons of carbs. This year I think I will shift to more lean protein and vegetables and bring more food to eat during rides. What do you all think? Good idea?

1centaur
12-31-2006, 01:51 PM
I think if you regard simpler carbs as fuel for rides/exercise only (don't fool yourself into thinking you need more calories in those than the rides will expend) and proteins/vegetable/fruits with more complex carbs as fuel for life, and then don't eat for 3 hours before bed, you will have a plan that works for you season 'round.

I think if you try to use protein and vegetables to fuel your rides, you will be miserable and weak, a point Chris Carmichael also made a while back. It's not like you need pasta for breakfast like pros who will be burning 1,000 calories an hour, but exercise fueled by simpler carbs tends to be more satisfying.

BTW - Avoiding pasta entirely is not without merit if you want to lose weight - there are better carbs around that don't require fats and salt (most of the time) to make them taste good.

toaster
12-31-2006, 04:11 PM
One of my goals for this year is to get really lean. I ride a lot but have trouble losing those last few pounds. I know this probably boils down to eating too much or not eating the right things. I guess I've been adhering to the classic cyclist diet which consists of "fueling up" on tons of carbs. This year I think I will shift to more lean protein and vegetables and bring more food to eat during rides. What do you all think? Good idea?

Great idea. Best of luck to you.

The biggest obstacle is going to be behaviors, as a guess, and eliminating habits where you eat for something to do. We all do it, I'm sure, and being aware of them and changing your responses to certain times of day/night and where you are and what you're doing (watching TV, etc,) will have a significant impact on total calories per day. You'll most likely be OK for your training if you have a diet that includes good carbohydrate sources, don't worry about that, just eat good wholesome food and in moderation avoiding high calorie snacks.