PDA

View Full Version : I need help finding a smartwatch, too many choices!

ChainNoise
12-02-2019, 08:24 AM
Alright, I'm just about fed up with my freebie Samsung Gear Fit 2. The band keeps popping off and it's just generally very clunky. Here's what I'm after, which must play well with my Samsung Galaxy S7:

-ability to link up to an external HRM strap
-ability to record HR during exercise at the gym/during strength training
-ability to notify and read new texts
-ability to notify when someone is calling my phone
-ability to record a run via GPS

That's really all I need out of a watch. There's got to be something out there that isn't ridiculously priced with mountains of features I don't need or care about. The smaller the better!

JAGI410
12-02-2019, 08:37 AM
Today's the day for shopping for one of these!

I have nothing to offer, other than my Samsung Gear Sport is still ticking like a champ. It'll do all those things except GPS, since it still needs a phone.

Malinois
12-02-2019, 08:41 AM
Garmin’s Vivoactive 3 is on sale right now for $129 from various outlets (was $99 for Black Friday but still a great deal). Also, the Garmin Forerunner 235 is now $149 at Best Buy.

Gummee
12-02-2019, 09:26 AM
Garmin 9XX watches do that. I'm pretty sure the 7XX series do too, but I don't have one of those

Ditto with the Fenix series

I've got both. The Fenix is more an 'adventure' watch. Bigger, heavier. The 9XX is lighter and smaller

HTH

M

trener1
12-02-2019, 10:24 PM
You can do everything you want but connect it to HRM strap with the Garmin Vivosport, It does have the optical HR though, I have one and it is great.
It was pretty heavily discounted over the weekend.
I think I saw it for less then $100 on a few websites

ChainNoise
12-03-2019, 04:06 AM
You can do everything you want but connect it to HRM strap with the Garmin Vivosport, It does have the optical HR though, I have one and it is great.
It was pretty heavily discounted over the weekend.
I think I saw it for less then $100 on a few websites

After doing a bit of research on the above models, I bit the bullet and grabbed a Vivosport 3 for $116 through Amazon just before I passed out last night. I've been reading the optical HR is also pretty dang accurate now, so I'll give that a shot too! Thanks guys :banana:

GonaSovereign
12-03-2019, 07:44 AM
I'd recommend the Omega Speedmaster. It has time, a chronograph for timing things down to the tenth of a second, a tachemetre for tracking repeated tasks. You can get versions with a date window as well.

Need a GPS? Look around - that's where you are.
Need an HRM? Place finger on wrist.

You never need to replace a battery, because it's manually wound. It's safe for a surface swim if a river crossing goes poorly, and more importantly is proven to work on the moon.

The thing has been kicking posterior since 1957, so you know they stand up. Plus, if you need to spend $200 on a replacement i-whatever say every two years, the Speedmaster would be much less costly over its lifetime. It doesn't go in the landfill when you're done with it; people hope for the right to buy it from you.

It also looks a lot better on the wrist. Case closed.
https://www.omegawatches.com/watches/speedmaster/moonwatch/professional/product/assets/images/large/module-moonwatch-pro-watch.png

old fat man
12-03-2019, 07:52 AM
I have an Amazfit Bip. Does all the above except connect to external HRM. Best parts? Less than $70 and battery life is 30+ days between charges unless you use GPS recording every day. Also very light, water proof, and durable.

dpdan93
12-03-2019, 08:16 AM
I'd recommend the Omega Speedmaster. It has time, a chronograph for timing things down to the tenth of a second, a tachemetre for tracking repeated tasks. You can get versions with a date window as well.

You never need to replace a battery, because it's manually wound. It's safe for a surface swim if a river crossing goes poorly, and more importantly is proven to work on the moon.

The thing has been kicking posterior since 1957, so you know they stand up. Plus, if you need to spend $200 on a replacement i-whatever say every two years, the Speedmaster would be much less costly over its lifetime. It doesn't go in the landfill when you're done with it; people hope for the right to buy it from you.

https://www.omegawatches.com/watches/speedmaster/moonwatch/professional/product/assets/images/large/module-moonwatch-pro-watch.png

I like this guy

oldpotatoe
12-03-2019, 08:21 AM

Well said altho like this 'un more better...only $19,000 or so new...YIKES...

denapista
12-03-2019, 08:55 AM
Garmin Fenix line of watches or Suunto watches.
I think both of those brands are having huge sales.
I wanted everything you described, and my Garmin Fenix 3 has been solid!

dpdan93
12-03-2019, 10:15 AM
Well said altho like this 'un more better...only $19,000 or so new...YIKES...

White dials are well north of 20k now... yikes is right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fbhidy
12-03-2019, 11:02 AM
Garmin 9XX watches do that. I'm pretty sure the 7XX series do too, but I don't have one of those

M

I have the 735xt and wear it daily as well as use it as my cycling 'computer'.

It absolutely does all of the things you're asking of it plus more.

What it doesn't do (well or at all) for me (but you aren't asking about) is:
1) doesn't let me know when the battery is getting low (I end up checking it the night before any big rides, though it has died on me once or twice.)
2) maps suck
3) importing routes is a chore, see #2

The good:
1) Works great as an everyday watch
2) smart notification can be enabled/disabled by individual phone app (text=yes, facebook=no, etc)
3) battery life is multiple days (5+ depending on what you have turned on)
4) ANT+ and Bluetooth connectivity is pretty good, better than my wife's Samsung Gear (not the original, not the latest, but not sure which model.)

FlashUNC
12-03-2019, 11:24 AM

If you map out that cost over time of ownership, I'd be curious when those lines converge, what with the chrono service running $750-$800 from Omega every 5 years or so. On top of the $5k for the watch now.

dpdan93
12-03-2019, 11:41 AM
If you map out that cost over time of ownership, I'd be curious when those lines converge, what with the chrono service running $750-$800 from Omega every 5 years or so. On top of the $5k for the watch now.

I wouldn't advise anybody to buy a speedy pro new from a dealer with their depreciation. Early 2000s models can be had for 3ish which at that point I think the curve has flattened. Probably couldn't sell whatever smart watch you buy for close to what to you pay for it in a few years, and in decades from now they'll be utterly worthless

Blue Jays
12-03-2019, 11:41 AM
A member of my family has requested a smartwatch for Christmas this year.
I will be watching thread to see the latest smartwatch feedback and insights.

trener1
12-03-2019, 02:37 PM
If you don't mind refurb, this is a sweet deal.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbished-Garmin-vivosport-Slate-Small-Medium-vivosport-trade/839546068

FlashUNC
12-03-2019, 03:20 PM
I wouldn't advise anybody to buy a speedy pro new from a dealer with their depreciation. Early 2000s models can be had for 3ish which at that point I think the curve has flattened. Probably couldn't sell whatever smart watch you buy for close to what to you pay for it in a few years, and in decades from now they'll be utterly worthless

It ain't about the depreciation. It's how many years of buying $200 apple watches before you meet the cost of ownership for even a $3k Omega and whatever service it requires in the interim.

My best is somewhere around, what, 30 years?

T-Crush
12-03-2019, 05:41 PM
I debated between the Apple Series 3 and the Ionic for a month (I'm cheap) and went Ionic. The long battery life (4 days, easy) beat out the cache of owning another Apple product and the "better looks" - YMMV.

Decent HR on the wrist, talks with my phone, GPS with good accuracy and you will need a new one in 3 years as the battery fails at that point.

Having said all of that, I still want that Omega......

tooslow4u
12-03-2019, 09:03 PM
I was torn between Apple Watch 3 vs Fenix 5X but ended up purchasing a Garmin Fenix 5X sapphire during BF deals for 300. Still waiting for me at Best Buy to be picked up but thinking of already returning it.

unterhausen
12-03-2019, 10:22 PM
I had no idea Garmin made watches that were that cheap. I thought about getting one for swimming, but I'm not interested in spending much over $100 for that. They talk about measuring stress, do they measure heart rate variability?

GonaSovereign
12-03-2019, 10:32 PM

The lines converge five minutes after watch acquisition. I graphed it here. Look closely and you'll see what I mean.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49166999952_61dc9dc3f9_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2hUHJ8J)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/2hUHJ8J)

Also, you should service Rolexes and Omegas when they give you a reason to. You don't need to do it on a five-year cycle.

oldpotatoe
12-04-2019, 06:46 AM

If ya ask a good watch repair guy..they say hi-zoot mechanical watches need service when they need service, they have an issue..not 'regularly'..I did the every 5 years gig on my GMT Master(bought 1978..41 years young-$645!!!) until about 1998..went to a local jewelry store in the republic. Owner wore a Rolex President, he said no need until it has a problem. Went to a small, very highly regarded watch repair guy, second opinion, he said the same thing..so..

Sorry for the thread drift..BTW-a Rolex like mine, Jubilee bracelet, used..'about $10-$12k..yeee-farging-gads!!

FlashUNC
12-04-2019, 07:44 AM
The lines converge five minutes after watch acquisition. I graphed it here. Look closely and you'll see what I mean.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49166999952_61dc9dc3f9_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2hUHJ8J)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/2hUHJ8J)

Also, you should service Rolexes and Omegas when they give you a reason to. You don't need to do it on a five-year cycle.

Hilarious. Totally New Yorker cartoon level comedy.

And why listen to Omega right? Not like they built the watches or anything. And who puts a Speedy on a rubber strap?

If ya ask a good watch repair guy..they say hi-zoot mechanical watches need service when they need service, they have an issue..not 'regularly'..I did the every 5 years gig on my GMT Master(bought 1978..41 years young-$645!!!) until about 1998..went to a local jewelry store in the republic. Owner wore a Rolex President, he said no need until it has a problem. Went to a small, very highly regarded watch repair guy, second opinion, he said the same thing..so..

Sorry for the thread drift..BTW-a Rolex like mine, Jubilee bracelet, used..'about $10-$12k..yeee-farging-gads!!

Not without a service it won't, even with the Rolex cachet. Service history matters on resale.

merlinmurph
12-04-2019, 08:00 AM
Gotta say, if I were to spend some bucks on a nice watch, that Omega would be it - clean design, handsome, very nice. I like it a lot.

Saying that, it's not what the OP asked for.

oldpotatoe
12-04-2019, 08:44 AM
Not without a service it won't, even with the Rolex cachet. Service history matters on resale.

Ain't gonna sell it...gonna give it to one of sons when I go south..:)

Even when protecting the family against the Zombie horde..not gonna trade it for ammo or water or fuel..:eek:

trener1
12-04-2019, 09:28 AM
I had no idea Garmin made watches that were that cheap. I thought about getting one for swimming, but I'm not interested in spending much over $100 for that. They talk about measuring stress, do they measure heart rate variability?

I am assuming that you were directing this comment/question at me.
I am not 100% sure about the HR variability, I found this
https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/vivosport/EN-US/GUID-9282196F-D969-404D-B678-F48A13D8D0CB.html

I doubt it tracks it as well as say something like Whoop but then again Whoop is something like $30 a month....

azrider
12-04-2019, 10:03 AM

Sigh....:rolleyes:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191204/1c30fb8f73758cb0206e687c9ab5c7c8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue Jays
12-04-2019, 10:15 AM
I am going to start by visiting an Apple store to see what they have in stock.
That will at least provide a "jumping-off point" for this possible Christmas gift.

trener1
12-04-2019, 12:22 PM
The Garmin Fenix 5 seems to be almost half off today
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/garmin-fenix-5x-sapphire-smartwatch-51mm-fiber-reinforced-polymer-slate-gray-with-black-band/5714913.p?skuId=5714913&ref=212&loc=1&ref=212&loc=BM01&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI24Dv782c5gIVBYiGCh1J5goeEAQYAiAB EgJ5TvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

azrider
12-04-2019, 02:52 PM
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/garmin-fenix-5x-sapphire-smartwatch-51mm-fiber-reinforced-polymer-slate-gray-with-black-band/5714913.p?skuId=5714913&ref=212&loc=1&ref=212&loc=BM01&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI24Dv782c5gIVBYiGCh1J5goeEAQYAiAB EgJ5TvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Well damn. This might just be what I needed to push me over the edge. I vowed never to buy Garmin again but from the extensive research I've done the Fenix5 keeps popping up in my top 5 list of watches.

Anybody want to buy my Fenix2 ?? :p:p:p

C40_guy
12-04-2019, 03:06 PM

Garmin Fenix 5 is a nice step up from the 3 (and the 2!). Easier to use, much better screen. I've had one on my wrist for several years. Garmin 6 just came out, seems to have incrementally better/larger screens. The new model pushed the street price of the 5 way down.

I'm tempted to upgrade...but can't justify the incremental jump for the additional $$$...

If you don't like the metal case, the 9XX series is the same watch in a lighter case.

You're buying an ecosystem, not just a watch. With Garmins on my bikes, I was already in that ecosystem. I also use my Fenix 5 for tracking my kayaking activities. Nice to have all of the data in one place.

trener1
12-06-2019, 02:01 PM
Man that was a good deal, I decided to buy it today and it’s back to $599.

GonaSovereign
12-06-2019, 03:30 PM
Hilarious. Totally New Yorker cartoon level comedy.

And why listen to Omega right? Not like they built the watches or anything. And who puts a Speedy on a rubber strap?

Didn't mean to offend, and certainly wasn't taking a pot shot. Honest apology if I did.

The rubber strap is designed for the watch. It's better in the heat and humidity.

merlinmurph
12-10-2019, 08:15 AM
Man that was a good deal, I decided to buy it today and it’s back to $599.

Here's a second chance.
Fenix 5 for $350 (https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/garmin-fenix-5-gps-watch&ecn=60344b6ea8556144d23b06f23f270c69&ln=16408885&ctpc=4kr3m34hx?utm_source=BTD+2.0&utm_campaign=e81692bdee-BTD_101019_PUB_FENIX5_SHEGFT_EPIC19_HAMMER_R4&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_bcabc9a71b-e81692bdee-75621657) at biketiresdirect.com