PDA

View Full Version : Dish soap to the rescue - a tire mounting PSA

AngryScientist
12-01-2019, 03:28 PM
Just a PSA, in case this tip helps someone along the way:

was trying to mount a tubeless tire today to a rim (using a tube, not tubeless setup...) and could not get the beads to seat all the way around. tried practically everything, even pumping up to over 100psi (tire sidewalls advised max 80psi)

bottom line was i could not get about 4 inches of the bead to seat to the rim.

after a bit of frustration, mixed a super concentrated soapy water solution of dish soap and water, and painted it on the tire bead with a foam paintbrush:

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/closeup-of-a-foam-paintbrush-on-a-white-background-picture-id1003545744

re-mounted the tire and wam! beads popped into place at about 35 psi.

very cool.

Gummee
12-01-2019, 03:32 PM
Ruglyde

Mo bettah

M

joosttx
12-01-2019, 03:47 PM
nothing better than soapy warm. Plus it really gets your rims clean.

MagicHour
12-01-2019, 04:03 PM
Yes I learned this same trick, along with pushing tire bead down into the rim's center channel, this past spring after wrestling with a Panaracer GK for about an hour and tearing up my thumbs pretty good.

scoobydrew
12-01-2019, 04:08 PM
For mounting tubeless, I always spray a liberal amount of Simple Green between the tire bead and rim.

speedevil
12-01-2019, 04:15 PM
For mounting tubeless, I always spray a liberal amount of Simple Green between the tire bead and rim.

You might want to rethink that practice if you have alloy rims - Simple Green is corrosive to aluminum and aluminum alloys, unless it is thoroughly rinsed away. I'm not sure how you would rinse it away if the bead is seated and sealed.

Check the Simple Green website and click on "aluminum".

https://simplegreen.com/faqs/

Soap and water is much safer to use.

scoobydrew
12-01-2019, 04:16 PM
You might want to rethink that practice if you have alloy rims - Simple Green is corrosive to aluminum and aluminum alloys, unless it is thoroughly rinsed away. I'm not sure how you would rinse it away if the bead is seated and sealed.

Interesting. Thanks for bringing this up.

Mikej
12-01-2019, 04:19 PM
Wow you should have dug up my post from 4 years ago😉https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=177820&highlight=Soap

oldguy00
12-01-2019, 04:49 PM
Any tricks to getting a super tight tire onto the rim on the side of the road where soapy water isn't available?
I've been racing on HED Jet Black's and tires (conti 5000's) go on reasonably easy, but I just acquired a front H3+ trispoke, and tires are a complete bear to get off or onto the rim. I'm embarrassed to say it probably took me 20 minutes to get a conti 4000 tire the seller shipped it with, off of the rim.
Then putting another 4000 tire I had laying around, onto the rim, couldn't even come close to getting it on by hand or with normal tire levers. Had to resort to my kool stop tire jack and even that was difficult.
I'm not sure how I would ever deal with this on the side of the road.
Tips???

Mikej
12-01-2019, 04:57 PM
Spit

speedevil
12-01-2019, 04:59 PM
I have a pair of Compass tires that are very tight as well, and I've wondered how I would deal with a flat at the side of a road. I don't carry the bead jack, so it will have to go back on using a combination of tire levers and cussing.

Just a thought - what about face cloths? You get them wet and they make soap. If you have water in your bottle, you can make soapy water. I haven't tried this myself, but it should at least give you soapy water at the side of the road.

gbcoupe
12-01-2019, 05:13 PM

This for sure! Even if you use it to clean your bike/parts, make sure you rinse thoroughly.

echappist
12-01-2019, 05:14 PM
Any tricks to getting a super tight tire onto the rim on the side of the road where soapy water isn't available?
I've been racing on HED Jet Black's and tires (conti 5000's) go on reasonably easy, but I just acquired a front H3+ trispoke, and tires are a complete bear to get off or onto the rim. I'm embarrassed to say it probably took me 20 minutes to get a conti 4000 tire the seller shipped it with, off of the rim.
Then putting another 4000 tire I had laying around, onto the rim, couldn't even come close to getting it on by hand or with normal tire levers. Had to resort to my kool stop tire jack and even that was difficult.
Tips???

carry a spritzer bottle

i had a bottle like that, containing cedar spray. When i used up the cedar spray, I filled it up with soapy water

DWColiins
12-01-2019, 05:35 PM
Windex is my go to for seating tires.

For tubeless if there is sealant in the tire already I use some diluted sealant.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

DWColiins
12-01-2019, 05:36 PM
This for sure! Even if you use it to clean your bike/parts, make sure you rinse thoroughly.And never undiluted in direct sun.

p nut
12-02-2019, 07:51 AM
Windex is my go to for seating tires.

For tubeless if there is sealant in the tire already I use some diluted sealant.

Just make sure it doesn’t have ammonia if using on aluminum parts.

As far as the op, instead of a brush, I just keep a spray bottle of dish soap solution. Much easier.

oldguy00
12-02-2019, 08:04 AM
I'm thinking more for on the road, so can't really carry spray bottles, and not sure how much spit I can generate lol.

I'm thinking maybe get a very small baggy, like 1-2 inches square, put a piece of a wet wipe/napkin in it with some soapy water on it. Keep that in my flat kit. I'm also liking the idea of maybe shortening the handle on my tire jack so that it will fit.
I'm riding a trek speed concept, so this stuff would be going into the draft box that attaches to the seat tube...

ToonaBP
12-02-2019, 08:41 AM
All the more reason why I am continuing to use clincher tires on clincher "only" rims.... no fuss ... on your way in 5 minutes... especially if you have a group waiting for you..:hello:

pdonk
12-02-2019, 09:30 AM
I have been going through this issue since I got Belgium + mounted with Schwalbe Pro 1s and tubes. I even destroyed a rid due to a poorly mounted tire after a road side "fix".

Recently got a flat and even with soapy water, can't get the tire to seat properly. I have read that using tubeless tape helps as it is slicker and lets the bead slide.

My solution in the new year is going to be to change tires to a non tubeless version and likely another tire. If the issue persists, you may see a set of Belgium + laced to DT240s for sale.

Elefantino
12-02-2019, 09:33 AM
A spray bottle with diluted Dawn is one of the handiest things to have in your shop. All kinds of uses.

avalonracing
12-02-2019, 09:37 AM
All the more reason why I am continuing to use clincher tires on clincher "only" rims.... no fuss ... on your way in 5 minutes... especially if you have a group waiting for you..:hello:

Viva la tubes! (And thread-in bottom brackets, and quick-release skewers!)

93KgBike
12-02-2019, 10:23 AM
EcoSheep chain oil is thin, biodegradable and helped me seat a 26 on a 650b. meh.

p nut
12-02-2019, 10:44 AM
I have been going through this issue since I got Belgium + mounted with Schwalbe Pro 1s and tubes. I even destroyed a rid due to a poorly mounted tire after a road side "fix".

Recently got a flat and even with soapy water, can't get the tire to seat properly. I have read that using tubeless tape helps as it is slicker and lets the bead slide.

My solution in the new year is going to be to change tires to a non tubeless version and likely another tire. If the issue persists, you may see a set of Belgium + laced to DT240s for sale.

Are you not using tubeless tape? That is simply a must on tubeless rims. I even use it on non-tubeless rims. Makes mounting and seating much much easier. (or.....possible).

pdonk
12-02-2019, 10:53 AM
Are you not using tubeless tape? That is simply a must on tubeless rims. I even use it on non-tubeless rims. Makes mounting and seating much much easier. (or.....possible).

Yes the wheels had tubeless tape, and still a pain to mount.

In my saddle bag I now carry a small sample sized packet of soap, just in case.

echappist
12-02-2019, 11:16 AM
I'm thinking more for on the road, so can't really carry spray bottles, and not sure how much spit I can generate lol.

I'm thinking maybe get a very small baggy, like 1-2 inches square, put a piece of a wet wipe/napkin in it with some soapy water on it. Keep that in my flat kit. I'm also liking the idea of maybe shortening the handle on my tire jack so that it will fit.
I'm riding a trek speed concept, so this stuff would be going into the draft box that attaches to the seat tube...

it doesn't have to be a spray bottle

this is the one I carry, slightly larger than a multi-tool...

https://xucezw.by.files.1drv.com/y4m7BpjFdigSJStUvJKRjh3ueAG9LDXK3WPgavNRr4yrKkWfq7 loNsR4mrZPELgYQBvjsQ97HnfHceQod4J1UlFyNjfxfYdg9dQk DbNsot1M3QKTQJqojlIxG8tFZ7UzV9nWz_uLYj7QCPCwLkAEEH 8ZOasaz4exMNyehDaZ5ykHDFb0hpOvmMSSRqE6BOW6necJFjdj VDtBSnLeGP88MSnZw?width=495&height=660&cropmode=none

muz
12-02-2019, 01:01 PM
Tips???

Unfortunately some tire/rim combinations are a no go. I would suggest finding another tire that mounts more easily.

C40_guy
12-02-2019, 03:21 PM

SG will also rust a chain pretty thoroughly if you leave it soaking for more than a couple of hours...

CiclistiCliff
12-03-2019, 04:33 AM
Best to use somethng that doesn't leave residue. Soapy makes getting the tire on easier, also make it roll off/burp easier.

oldguy00
12-03-2019, 06:07 AM
it doesn't have to be a spray bottle

this is the one I carry, slightly larger than a multi-tool...

https://xucezw.by.files.1drv.com/y4m7BpjFdigSJStUvJKRjh3ueAG9LDXK3WPgavNRr4yrKkWfq7 loNsR4mrZPELgYQBvjsQ97HnfHceQod4J1UlFyNjfxfYdg9dQk DbNsot1M3QKTQJqojlIxG8tFZ7UzV9nWz_uLYj7QCPCwLkAEEH 8ZOasaz4exMNyehDaZ5ykHDFb0hpOvmMSSRqE6BOW6necJFjdj VDtBSnLeGP88MSnZw?width=495&height=660&cropmode=none

Cool, thanks, that is worth looking in to.

As for rim tape, the one wheel that is giving me the most trouble is my HED H3+ (their newest wide clincher trispoke), which doesn't have spoke holes, so no rim tape needed. I have a new Conti 5000 tire on hand, I'm going to try putting that on and really try to be conscious about making sure the tire is in the middle well, see how it goes. And then regardless, gonna leave it on there inflated for the winter and hope the tire stretches a bit before race season in May/June.

72gmc
12-03-2019, 10:47 AM

for sure.