PDA

View Full Version : Show me your stationary bike playlists...

XXtwindad
11-29-2019, 12:56 PM
The Dog Days of Winter are here. Perfect time to get some miles in on the trainer. I actually really enjoy it. My outdoor riding is either going slowly up big hills or coming down them. The trainer helps with pacing and cadence and gives me a much better workout in a short time. The crucial caveat: you gotta have the right tunes.

Here's my Funky Cheese Sandwich Mix. The goopy stuff is right in the middle, as it should be. Pretty stinky stuff. For the purists here: wear a hazmat suit :)

Interested in cribbing from others. Rock. Punk. Hip-Hop. Classic. Country. Doesn't matter as long as it gets my heart rate up. About fifteen songs or so (an hour) should do it.

1) Saint Germaine Rose Rouge (abridged)
2) Tribe Called Quest Can I Kick It
3) Ozomatli Cut Chemist Suite
4) Funky Destination Havana
5) Digable Planets Nickel Bag of Funk (always had a crush on Ladybug)
6) M.I.A. Paper Planes
7) ABBA Take a Chance on Me
8) Bee Gees Stayin Alive
9) Vanilla Ice Ice Ice Baby (haters gonna hate!)
10) Michael Jackson Don't Stop Till You Get Enough (pre-Thiller Michael!)
11) Rachid Taha Ya Rayah (the "Oud" has got to be the sexiest instrument)
12) James Brown Sex Machine (Get on Up)
13) Parliament Give up the Funk
14) Public Enemy Fight the Power
15) Scissor Sisters I Don't Feel Like Dancin' (Best in Show)

Hank Scorpio
11-29-2019, 01:19 PM
Kexp Music that Matters podcast. Any of John Richards Running podcasts. Usually have a Portland/Seattle bent to them but completely listenable.

Also I am only slightly ashamed to admit that I have broken out some old Global Underground mixed CDs. Namely Digweed, Sasha and Danny Tenaglia are some of the ones in rotation lately. Don’t judge.

Elefantino
11-29-2019, 01:30 PM
I created this playlist for the shop when we did indoor workouts. It's an hour long, it starts slow, and the beat mostly increases steadily until you’re flat-out sprinting in the last few minutes before an easy cool-down. It’s also, shall we say, themed.

Start Me Up, The Rolling Stones (3:35): As the title suggests, this is the warm-up. A fairly mid-level beat that is best done in an easy gear.
Spinning Wheels, Blood Sweat & Tears (4:07): Gear up as you work into this slow cadence. When David Clayton Thomas says, “ride a painted pony” stand for a 10 count in a big gear. Work the glutes.
Will It Go Round In Circles, Billy Preston (3:46): When Billy sings the chorus, double your cadence. You’ll be spinning fast!
Wheel In The Sky, Journey (4:13): Steady as she goes. Stand again, when Steve Perry sings the chorus.
Let It Ride, Bachman-Turner Overdrive (4:30): Push as big a gear as is comfortable here.
Ride, The Vines (2:42): Slight increase in cadence. Concentrate on making circles with both legs.
Slow Ride, Foghat (3:58): Have fun with this one. Bounce on the pedals. You cannot listen to this song on a bike and not smile.
Ride Captain Ride, Blues Image (3:45): Maintain your cadence.
Hitching A Ride, Vanity Fare (3:08): See above. This is totally and admittedly bubble-gum pop but it’s a great song for concentrating on your pedaling motion.
Ticket To Ride, The Beatles (3:14): Stand during the chorus here, too.
Free Ride, Edgar Winter Group (3:08): A bump in cadence. Easy gear spin. Get ready for what’s to come.
Low Rider, War (3:13):This song should be included in any cycling playlist because, well, because. It’s got a great beat for big gears. Mash!
Ride Like The Wind, Christopher Cross (4:29): Cadence, cadence, cadence. This is a transition zone because the next two are leg-rippers.
Ride My See-Saw, The Moody Blues (3:47): And you’re really starting to spin here. This is hard, but not the one that’s going to gas you. That’s next, thank you very much.
See See Rider, Elvis Presley (2:36): Try your best to keep up with the King. You might not make it the full length of the song but go for as long as you can. And no cheating by pedaling only on the back beat. Go for it.
The End, The Beatles (2:22): The Fab Four get a second crack here, and this one is simply about warming down until you’re done. Just relax and imagine yourself taking a leisurely stroll across Abbey Road.

XXtwindad
11-29-2019, 01:36 PM
I created this playlist for the shop when we did indoor workouts. It's an hour long, it starts slow, and the beat mostly increases steadily until you’re flat-out sprinting in the last few minutes before an easy cool-down. It’s also, shall we say, themed.

Start Me Up, The Rolling Stones (3:35): As the title suggests, this is the warm-up. A fairly mid-level beat that is best done in an easy gear.
Spinning Wheels, Blood Sweat & Tears (4:07): Gear up as you work into this slow cadence. When David Clayton Thomas says, “ride a painted pony” stand for a 10 count in a big gear. Work the glutes.
Will It Go Round In Circles, Billy Preston (3:46): When Billy sings the chorus, double your cadence. You’ll be spinning fast!
Wheel In The Sky, Journey (4:13): Steady as she goes. Stand again, when Steve Perry sings the chorus.
Let It Ride, Bachman-Turner Overdrive (4:30): Push as big a gear as is comfortable here.
Ride, The Vines (2:42): Slight increase in cadence. Concentrate on making circles with both legs.
Slow Ride, Foghat (3:58): Have fun with this one. Bounce on the pedals. You cannot listen to this song on a bike and not smile.
Hitching A Ride, Vanity Fare (3:08): See above. This is totally and admittedly bubble-gum pop but it’s a great song for concentrating on your pedaling motion.
Free Ride, Edgar Winter Group (3:08): A bump in cadence. Easy gear spin. Get ready for what’s to come.
Low Rider, War (3:13):This song should be included in any cycling playlist because, well, because. It’s got a great beat for big gears. Mash!
Ride Like The Wind, Christopher Cross (4:29): Cadence, cadence, cadence. This is a transition zone because the next two are leg-rippers.
Ride My See-Saw, The Moody Blues (3:47): And you’re really starting to spin here. This is hard, but not the one that’s going to gas you. That’s next, thank you very much.
See See Rider, Elvis Presley (2:36): Try your best to keep up with the King. You might not make it the full length of the song but go for as long as you can. And no cheating by pedaling only on the back beat. Go for it.
The End, The Beatles (2:22): The Fab Four get a second crack here, and this one is simply about warming down until you’re done. Just relax and imagine yourself taking a leisurely stroll across Abbey Road.

Haha. Well done! Very clever! But you forgot the best one of all.. "Ride On" by ACDC. That one would make my "Classic Rock" playlist for sure …

joosttx
11-29-2019, 01:42 PM
Heroin (on repeat) for short max interval workout.

Whatever is on my audible list.

bigbill
11-29-2019, 02:53 PM
I have a bluetooth speaker under the TV so I use my phone and Spotify to play what whatever list I feel the workout calls for. Sometimes in the evening when it's dark outside, I'll just use low light in the room and listen to something a little more mellow like Uncle Tupelo and their offspring.

makoti
11-29-2019, 03:25 PM
Pandora. "Gimme Sympathy" by Metric station. Done

Peter P.
11-29-2019, 06:48 PM
Playlist: NPR news.

gbcoupe
11-29-2019, 07:18 PM
I've got two linked 300 disc players... and then some.

Favs for the basement trainer are:

Pixies - all albums
White Denim - all albums
Urge Overkill's album Saturation
Deee-Lite's first album World Clique

That said, I hate the basement trainer. I'd rather ride outside unless it's really miserable.

DWColiins
11-29-2019, 07:49 PM
Big fan of synthwave playlists on youtube

XXtwindad
11-30-2019, 11:42 AM
I've got two linked 300 disc players... and then some.

Favs for the basement trainer are:

Pixies - all albums
White Denim - all albums
Urge Overkill's album Saturation
Deee-Lite's first album World Clique

That said, I hate the basement trainer. I'd rather ride outside unless it's really miserable.

Kim Deal was on the short list for late Eighties indie crushes. Fun fact: the female vocalist for the Scissor Sisters was in my social circle in the early Aughts. She later married the brother of DJ Lady Miss Kier.

daker13
11-30-2019, 01:43 PM
I had a couple good running/training playlists, but I can't track them down now that I got a new MacBook about a month ago... lately been listening to the Fall on the trainer, and the one cd that always works for me is the collected Minor Threat. Never fails.

XXtwindad
03-18-2020, 04:28 PM
Thought I'd update the playlist given the current circumstances...

1) Primal Scream Loaded (from World's End Soundtrack): 4:05
2) Police Double Shot: Don't Stand So Close to Me: 3:57
3) Police When the World is running Down: 3:40
4) Pink Floyd Run Like Hell (Live): 7:06
5) REM It's The End of the World as We Know: It 4:04
6) Elvis Costello Waiting for End of the World: 3:23
7) Guns n Roses Welcome to the Jungle: 4:24
8) Tool Aenema: 6:39
9) Waterboys Strange Boat: 4:51
10) Clash Straight to Hell: 5:32
11) Mumford and Sons: Guiding Light: 3:42

Best in Show: I hate to vote against the Only Band That Mattered, but I'll go with Mumford and Sons. Gotta stay positive in times like this.

Andy sti
03-18-2020, 04:58 PM
EDM, Industrial, Trap and Dubstep get me through my Zwift races.:banana:

nalax
03-18-2020, 05:06 PM
I watched Crime Scene Cleaner, a German comedy, on the laptop today.

GOTHBROOKS
03-18-2020, 10:22 PM
http://www.mixcloud.com/gothbrooks

XXtwindad
03-18-2020, 10:30 PM
http://www.mixcloud.com/gothbrooks

Haha. Love the riffs on "Sex." Don't know why I gravitated toward that one. Also, who does the album art? Dig it.

Really happy you're on the site.

GOTHBROOKS
03-19-2020, 11:24 AM
the art is just random things i found posted on twitter or google image search. “thee ravings of a spaceman” has a john titor reference in the description that probably goes over everyones head.
all music is sourced from my vinyl or cassette collection. im an embroiderer not a dj, and some of my segues show it.

kppolich
03-19-2020, 11:51 AM
youtube bike racing playlist here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLerl8bcVTnISLF8Omchu4Gv2akKAM7jz

MagicHour
03-19-2020, 12:11 PM
I always look to the The Boss's records in times of strife. I guess it's the working class spirit, roll up your sleeves, everything will be alright.

The Wild the Innocent & the e Street shuffle
Born to Run
Darkness on the Edge of Town
The River

Toeclips
03-19-2020, 08:27 PM
I'm old school
So I ride my rollers to cyclocross highlights

....::0``0° 《tv》
●=●

Here I am riding off my rollers

XXtwindad
02-25-2022, 01:29 PM
I always look to the The Boss's records in times of strife. I guess it's the working class spirit, roll up your sleeves, everything will be alright.

The Wild the Innocent & the e Street shuffle
Born to Run
Darkness on the Edge of Town
The River

I've also got The Boss on my playlist for troubled times today.

1) The Boss. Born to Run. (Because...see above)

2) Manu Chao. Clandestino. (He put on a hell of show with Gogol Bordello about 20 years ago.)

3) Tom Petty. American Girl. (If there's a "quintessential American Rock Song"...and it's not by the Boss, this might be it.)

4) Aerosmith. Sweet Emotion. (And this is third on the podium.)

5) Pras. Ghetto Supastar. (Still sounds good after all these years.)

6) Black Flag. Rise Above. (For D_Douglas. I kinda like this version with Cyndi Lauper: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=black+flag+rise+above&ru=%2fsearch%3fq%3dblack%2bflag%2brise%2babove%26c vid%3d2677d042646040d7a4c9d2107a2cb5f7%26aqs%3dedg e.0.0j69i57j0l7.6303j0j1%26pglt%3d43%26FORM%3dANNT A1%26PC%3dDCTS&view=detail&mid=1727C95F020E10FB60A51727C95F020E10FB60A5&rvsmid=69BC7D80A1700316229F69BC7D80A1700316229F&FORM=VDQVAP

7) Black Eyed Peas. I Gotta Feeling. (The best post-Millenial ear candy out there. T & B in '09 forever!) *

8) The Roots. The Seed. (Iladelph halflife might be my favorite album, but this might be my favorite song)

9) Matt and Kim. Daylight. (Total crush on Kim. Still.)

10) Scissor Sisters. I Don't Feel Like Dancing. (Jake Shears and the sexy mother****ing hey days). **

* best in show.

** second best in show.

d_douglas
02-25-2022, 01:38 PM
My go-to for getting amped up is Generation X - the entire self-titled recording. It is non-stop, frenetic and fun punk rock before Billy Idol became a caricature.

Wild Dub is amazing.

What made it better when I found it on Youtube as that some amazing soul recorded it from vinyl, so you can hear the needle on the plastic and all of its lo-fi goodness!

Gianni Bianchi
02-25-2022, 01:40 PM
I will often listen to 75 minutes of shuffled Kaleo. Or Rush or a mix of Kaleo and Rush.

Ozz
02-25-2022, 01:53 PM
Workout playlist..

I Got You - JB
Love Shack - B-52s
It's the End of the World... - REM
Purple Haze - Jimi
All Along the Watchtower - Jimi
My Bag - Lloyd Cole & Commotions
Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nivana
Lithium - Nirvana
Call Me - Blondie
I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow - The Soggy Bottom Boys
Devil With a Blue Dress ON - Mitch Ryder
Walk of the Wild Side - Lou Reed
Rock On - David Essex
Hooked on a Feeling - Blue Swede
My Sharona - The Knack
Low Rider - War
We're an Amercan Band - Grand Funk Railroad
Couldn't Get it Right - Climax Blues Band
Bad Reputation - Joan Jett
Short Skirt Long Jacket - Cake
Wild Thing The Troggs
I Can See Clearly - Johnny Nash
Life's Been Good - Joe Walsh
Mr Blue Sky - ELO
Son of Preacher Man - Dusty Springfield
Get Back - Beatles
Come Together - Beatles
Rapture - Blondie
For What it's Worth - Buffalo Springfield
Good Times Roll - The Cars
Truckin' - Grateful Dead
American Woman - The Guess Who
Feelin Alright - Joe Cocker
I Walk the Line - Johnny Cash
Ring of Fire - Johnny Cash
Radar Love - Golden Earring
Evil Ways - Santana
Stuck in the Middle - Stealers Wheel
Fox On The Run - The Sweet
Smooth - Santana
Misirlou - Dick Dale & His Del Tones
Come and Get Your Love - Redbone
Walkin After Midnight - Patsy Cline
I Want You to Want Me - Cheap Trick

Shuffle & go....

Toeclips
02-25-2022, 02:17 PM
The Lazy Eyes
Fuzz Jam

Mostly I watch cyclocross videos
I almost went off my rollers following a NYC bike messenger ...that was fun

XXtwindad
02-25-2022, 03:07 PM
Workout playlist..

I Got You - JB
Love Shack - B-52s
It's the End of the World... - REM
Purple Haze - Jimi
All Along the Watchtower - Jimi
My Bag - Lloyd Cole & Commotions Yes!!! But I'll take "Brand New Day."
Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nivana
Lithium - Nirvana
Call Me - Blondie
I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow - The Soggy Bottom Boys
Devil With a Blue Dress ON - Mitch Ryder
Walk of the Wild Side - Lou Reed
Rock On - David Essex
Hooked on a Feeling - Blue Swede
My Sharona - The Knack
Low Rider - War
We're an Amercan Band - Grand Funk Railroad
Couldn't Get it Right - Climax Blues Band
Bad Reputation - Joan Jett
Short Skirt Long Jacket - Cake
Wild Thing The Troggs
I Can See Clearly - Johnny Nash
Life's Been Good - Joe Walsh
Mr Blue Sky - ELO
Son of Preacher Man - Dusty Springfield
Get Back - Beatles
Come Together - Beatles
Rapture - Blondie
For What it's Worth - Buffalo Springfield
Good Times Roll - The Cars
Truckin' - Grateful Dead
American Woman - The Guess Who
Feelin Alright - Joe Cocker * Best in show!!!
I Walk the Line - Johnny Cash
Ring of Fire - Johnny Cash
Radar Love - Golden Earring
Evil Ways - Santana
Stuck in the Middle - Stealers Wheel
Fox On The Run - The Sweet
Smooth - Santana
Misirlou - Dick Dale & His Del Tones
Come and Get Your Love - Redbone
Walkin After Midnight - Patsy Cline
I Want You to Want Me - Cheap Trick "The first song off our new album."

Shuffle & go....

Lloyd Cole!

PTinz
02-25-2022, 05:04 PM
Lately been listening to the Modern Lovers in shuffle mode. ‘Road Runner’ and ‘Pablo Picaso’ are classics, hard to believe they were both released in 1977!

Ozz
02-25-2022, 05:50 PM
Lately been listening to the Modern Lovers in shuffle mode. ‘Road Runner’ and ‘Pablo Picaso’ are classics, hard to believe they were both released in 1977!
I've probably seen Jonathan Richman live at least 4-5 times...he would play small venues (Meany Hall, Canterbury Tavern, Parkers, Bumbershoot, etc)...very fun concerts....I'll have to find a picture I have of him holding a sign we made for a friend who was sick and could not make it to the show.....

wc1934
02-25-2022, 06:44 PM
Haha. Well done! Very clever! But you forgot the best one of all.. "Ride On" by ACDC. That one would make my "Classic Rock" playlist for sure …

Haha - Yup - dont forget Midnight Rider - Allman Bros.

Toeclips
02-25-2022, 08:21 PM
Wow twilight zone moment
This page is almost 2 yrs old.... at least I'm consistent

charliedid
02-25-2022, 09:03 PM
I just put this on repeat

https://youtu.be/EjHLxTGn--s

wc1934
02-25-2022, 09:35 PM
I just put this on repeat

https://youtu.be/EjHLxTGn--s

George's B'day today!
Hard to believe it has been 2 decades - :(

charliedid
02-25-2022, 09:38 PM
George's B'day today!
Hard to believe it has been 2 decades - :(

love

XXtwindad
11-14-2022, 09:17 AM
Bee Gees. AC/DC. Queen. 50 Cent. And Chuck D.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kcuK_Pv8ouY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8WPyfgrGPb8

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GEH9t5Wyrm4

wc1934
11-14-2022, 09:00 PM

Nice - if you are looking for additions, I would suggest The Doors - Riders on the Storm

fiamme red
11-14-2022, 09:06 PM
John Cage's 4′33″, repeated until workout is complete.

Beldar77
11-14-2022, 11:55 PM
Nice - if you are looking for additions, I would suggest The Doors - Riders on the Storm

Also - "let it roll" - Little Feat

dsjackson
11-15-2022, 07:17 AM
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/50aPEq1LehjpUPNyXyqcRE?si=CLSg3vV7TjmYWV8d6iZ53g

Never fails!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XXtwindad
11-15-2022, 09:26 AM
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/50aPEq1LehjpUPNyXyqcRE?si=CLSg3vV7TjmYWV8d6iZ53g

Never fails!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s the kind of list I was looking for :)

kppolich
11-15-2022, 12:09 PM
https://youtu.be/sm3bt4Q39b8?t=92

bigbill
11-15-2022, 12:50 PM
I'm working my way through Jocko podcasts on Spotify. Many are three hours long so I can get three rides on a single topic. The most recent was an interview with Bud Anderson, who is 100 years old and a triple ace from WW2.

charliedid
11-15-2022, 12:54 PM
John Cage's 4′33″, repeated until workout is complete.

Funny

Elefantino
11-15-2022, 04:22 PM

Good warm-down song, too.