PDA

View Full Version : Best tool for removing Campagnolo pressfit BB cups

robertbb
11-27-2019, 07:39 PM
Hi PL,

Any recommendations for gentle tools that will remove Campagnolo pressfit BB cups? (bb86 on my current bikes).

I know there are the standard ones that click in and you bang with a hammer, but looking for something a bit more elegant.

I have the Campagnolo UT BB240 for installation, hoping for something similar in reverse...

TDot
11-27-2019, 08:15 PM
I've only used the hammer banger version from Park Tools, but gotta say, it does the job. It's a crap shoot if the BBs come out still usable, but I can say that the last time I did it - recently - I retained the BB in pristine condition. I guess it's hard to spend a lot of $ on something you use infrequently - at least that's how I see it. Good luck with it!

oldpotatoe
11-28-2019, 06:48 AM
Hi PL,

Any recommendations for gentle tools that will remove Campagnolo pressfit BB cups? (bb86 on my current bikes).

I know there are the standard ones that click in and you bang with a hammer, but looking for something a bit more elegant.

I have the Campagnolo UT BB240 for installation, hoping for something similar in reverse...

Unfortunately no 'pullers', like 'presses' that get the things in there. I know a lot say glue those puppys in there but depending on the 'glue'(loctite) used and the frame, the cups and maybe the frame 'may' get damaged when they are taken out.

A tool that presses against the edges tightly and unfortunately, a hammer..gets these things out. The Park tool is a good tool. Be aware of how you install any press-in cups..grease/glue/whatever wise with an eye to eventually taking them out. The whole pressfit BB 'standard' has been/is a sh_e show.

Jef58
11-28-2019, 06:52 AM
If there is any retaining compound used when the cups were installed, they may not come out very easy without damage. I would try something like a hard plastic pipe first and save the tool money on a new set of cups just in case. (This is from someone who removed a set that ended up getting damaged...)

R3awak3n
11-28-2019, 07:04 AM
I think the click ones + hammer might be your only solution with those. But seriously, it will probably be just fine, the BB area s built pretty tough and for all you know its not even very tight in there. As mentioned, if someone used loctite it will be more difficult to remove, and someone probably did because the campy press BBs are notoriously known for creaking if no compound is used.

I remember there was a company that had a press fit removal tool, not sure it it worked for campy but I can't imagine it wouldnt. I can't recall the name but it was a $200 tool

Dracarys
11-28-2019, 07:12 AM
Enduro has a tool that can press in and remove bottom bracket cups without a hammer. Looks quite nice:

https://youtu.be/j7ZwdLRKPd8

R3awak3n
11-28-2019, 07:20 AM
Enduro has a tool that can press in and remove bottom bracket cups without a hammer. Looks quite nice:

that is the one...

nice but expensive. Also, will it be that easy to remove a cup that has loctite in it? with just screwing in rod?

ultraman6970
11-28-2019, 07:46 AM
If you are going to get new cups anyways, why not just dremel that thing little by little and take that piece by piece, in that way at least you are sure the BB shell wont be damaged in the process??

I only have threaded frames so a stupid question... instead of glue or loctite at the time to install why not just put a lot of grease and use a turn of teflon tape?? it will hold?

R3awak3n
11-28-2019, 09:27 AM
If you are going to get new cups anyways, why not just dremel that thing little by little and take that piece by piece, in that way at least you are sure the BB shell wont be damaged in the process??

I only have threaded frames so a stupid question... instead of glue or loctite at the time to install why not just put a lot of grease and use a turn of teflon tape?? it will hold?

That is a terrible idea, to get a dremel that close to the BB if you just do not need to that.

jemoryl
11-28-2019, 09:48 AM

There are some Chinese press kits based on the same principle. I bought one from aliexpress (or somewhere similar, I don't recall) and it worked well to remove some old BB86 cups and install new. Good enough for the home mechanic who isn't going to use it much.

oldpotatoe
11-28-2019, 09:58 AM

These guys that demo something that's dry as a bone, new, clean, with gloves on crack me up....:)

charliedid
11-28-2019, 10:44 AM
These guys that demo something that's dry as a bone, new, clean, with gloves on crack me up....:)

hah no @#$*

They should use bikes like this to do the demo ;-)

Mark McM
11-28-2019, 11:46 AM

That tool is only guaranteed to work with Enduro bottom bracket cups (and sometimes not even then). In order to press the cup out of the BB shell, the tool has to press against the outside face of the shell. If cup has a lip that covers the outside face of the shell (or if the tool won't fit around the lip of the cup), then this tool won't work. Additionally, if the bearing is looser in the cup than the cup is in the shell, this tool might only press the bearing out the cup, leaving the cup in the shell. In either case, you may have to resort to hammering the cups out.

Dave
11-28-2019, 12:19 PM
Here's one that's supposed to work with BB86 cups. I measured some spare BB86 cups that I have. There's a short length of 32mm diameter inside the cup that the tool would have to press against to remove a cup. The pressed-in part of the cup is 41mm. The hammer-in type would most likely expand to a larger diameter and fit just inside the 41mm BB shell.

This model only has two split removal tools and most likely, the larger one is only 30mm, which is too small to work properly.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q1W7WRV/?coliid=I3V45CSR875ICR&colid=3CQ5JNTMWAF8B&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Here's one that shows one part that may work to push out a BB86 cup it has a 38mm diameter, but it's not split, with an o-ring holding the halves together, like the smaller removal tools.

https://www.amazon.com/Toygogo-Professional-Bottom-Bracket-Bearing/dp/B07WD982DB/ref=pd_sbs_468_4/139-7851934-6407006?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07WD982DB&pd_rd_r=118fdcab-79a8-4448-a38e-5b1397ff197b&pd_rd_w=ez3BC&pd_rd_wg=LLcZw&pf_rd_p=5873ae95-9063-4a23-9b7e-eafa738c2269&pf_rd_r=WN2WR96MJB7FRVTHNM2S&refRID=WN2WR96MJB7FRVTHNM2S

Gummee
11-28-2019, 01:19 PM
I have that Enduro BB removal tool.

Works like a charm.

MUCH better than banging on your carbon bike with a hammer.

M

Dracarys
11-28-2019, 05:07 PM
That tool is only guaranteed to work with Enduro bottom bracket cups (and sometimes not even then). In order to press the cup out of the BB shell, the tool has to press against the outside face of the shell. If cup has a lip that covers the outside face of the shell (or if the tool won't fit around the lip of the cup), then this tool won't work.

That seems true. I think it's the case that at least Shimano bb86 bottom bracket cups should work. They have an endcap that pops off that otherwise might cover the outer face of the bb shell.

Additionally, if the bearing is looser in the cup than the cup is in the shell, this tool might only press the bearing out the cup, leaving the cup in the shell. In either case, you may have to resort to hammering the cups out.

Wouldn't this also be a problem with tools that snap in behind the bearing and you hammer out the cup (like Park BBT-90.3)? Those types of tools apply pressure to the same place as the Enduro tool.

Dave
11-28-2019, 06:29 PM
With campy cups there are no bearings involved, since they are on the crank spindles.

The part that fits over the end of the hollow shaft must be at least 34mm in diameter, or it won't work.

Mark McM
11-28-2019, 06:55 PM
Wouldn't this also be a problem with tools that snap in behind the bearing and you hammer out the cup (like Park BBT-90.3)? Those types of tools apply pressure to the same place as the Enduro tool.

It depends on how big the hole in the cup is. The Park BBT-90.3 is intended for cups/bearings for 24mm spindles (Shimano and SRAM GXP). Campagnolo Ultra-Torque spindles are 25mm, and the BBT-90.3 won't work to remove Ultra-Torque cups - the BBT-90.3 spring fingers are smaller than the hole in the cups, and won't engage the cup For these types of removers to work, the hole in the cup can only be just slightly larger than the spindle.

FriarQuade
11-30-2019, 12:14 AM
Most bearing retainer compounds are heat sensitive. Hit them with a heat gun or another heat source and they'll come out 10x easier.

robertbb
11-30-2019, 05:54 AM
Here's one that's supposed to work with BB86 cups. I measured some spare BB86 cups that I have. There's a short length of 32mm diameter inside the cup that the tool would have to press against to remove a cup. The pressed-in part of the cup is 41mm. The hammer-in type would most likely expand to a larger diameter and fit just inside the 41mm BB shell.

This model only has two split removal tools and most likely, the larger one is only 30mm, which is too small to work properly.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q1W7WRV/?coliid=I3V45CSR875ICR&colid=3CQ5JNTMWAF8B&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Here's one that shows one part that may work to push out a BB86 cup it has a 38mm diameter, but it's not split, with an o-ring holding the halves together, like the smaller removal tools.

https://www.amazon.com/Toygogo-Professional-Bottom-Bracket-Bearing/dp/B07WD982DB/ref=pd_sbs_468_4/139-7851934-6407006?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07WD982DB&pd_rd_r=118fdcab-79a8-4448-a38e-5b1397ff197b&pd_rd_w=ez3BC&pd_rd_wg=LLcZw&pf_rd_p=5873ae95-9063-4a23-9b7e-eafa738c2269&pf_rd_r=WN2WR96MJB7FRVTHNM2S&refRID=WN2WR96MJB7FRVTHNM2S

Thanks Dave. Think I opened a can of worms...

lhuerta
11-30-2019, 03:27 PM
...buy a cheap headset cup removal tool and lightly Dremel the hard edges to a nice smooth rounded edge (will prevent scaring the frame); insert and bang with hammer. If Loctite was used on install (e.g. 607 or 641) heat cups a bit with heat gun, then use the tool above. After removing cups a bit of additional heat on frame will ease removal of Loctite residue.

robertbb
11-30-2019, 04:11 PM
...buy a cheap headset cup removal tool and lightly Dremel the hard edges to a nice smooth rounded edge (will prevent scaring the frame); insert and bang with hammer. If Loctite was used on install (e.g. 607 or 641) heat cups a bit with heat gun, then use the tool above. After removing cups a bit of additional heat on frame will ease removal of Loctite residue.

Thanks... do you have any examples in mind of such a tool?

These seem identical to a Park Tool 9.4 which I'm guessing is sized correctly for the job and doesn't require dremeling.

lhuerta
11-30-2019, 11:59 PM
Thanks... do you have any examples in mind of such a tool?

These seem identical to a Park Tool 9.4 which I'm guessing is sized correctly for the job and doesn't require dremeling.

CyclingDeal Bicycle Headset Cup Removal Remover Tool 1' & 1-1/8' https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005KWRIJO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_iv14DbXB0P59D .... example of cheap tool and yes identical to design of Park Tool. The Dremeling part is to soften the hard corners/edges on the ends

robertbb
12-01-2019, 01:52 AM
Thank you, will take a look!!

jemoryl
12-01-2019, 09:19 AM
CyclingDeal Bicycle Headset Cup Removal Remover Tool 1' & 1-1/8' https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005KWRIJO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_iv14DbXB0P59D .... example of cheap tool and yes identical to design of Park Tool. The Dremeling part is to soften the hard corners/edges on the ends

I've made a tool like that from some PVC pipe of an appropriate diameter. Saw 4 slots in the end, carefully heat with a heat gun while spreading the 4 sections outward with a tapered object. It has the advantage of not marking up metal cups, although I'm not sure it would be strong enough work on really tough cases.

Dave
12-01-2019, 12:14 PM
I've done more research and came to the conclusion that trying to extract a campy BB86 cup with a threaded extractor may be tough. You need a hollow cup that bears against the frame. Even if the cup is perfectly sized, the two BB cups don't have the same OD, so it would have to sized to fit the larger non-drive side. Some frames like my Colnago have very little flat surface around the cup and even a perfect sized cup might knock some paint off the frame.

I came up with a simple piece of metal with a 3/8" hole for a piece of threaded rod with a nut on it that will bear against the proper surface of the cup and allow it to be tapped out, without touching the 41mm diameter, that the cup presses into. The first pictures show the tool, made from a length of 1" x 3/16" steel bar, with a washer glued onto it. The washers just happens to fit closely inside the 32mm inside diameter of the cup's skirt. The bar stock has radiused ends that are no more than 38mm in diameter, so it will not touch the 41mm diameter where the cup presses into the frame. The tool can be slipped in through the cup and placed over a 3/8" threaded rod, with a nut near the end.

The second picture shows the tool flipped over, with the washer sitting inside the skirt.

I also came up with a home made installation tool that will self align better than most of the tools now sold. I happened to have some 1-1/2 inch square aluminum stock on hand, so I cut two pieces, about 1-1/2 inches long to make a cube. I then drilled a 3/8" hole through each cube, using the smooth face of the stock against my drill press base, so the hole will be square to two opposing faces of the stock. A piece of threaded rod with a nut on each end will squeeze the cups into place. If I can find some washers the will just slip into the bearing bores, I can glue those to the blocks and get better alignment.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/picture.php?albumid=119&pictureid=540

https://forums.thepaceline.net/picture.php?albumid=119&pictureid=541

robertbb
12-01-2019, 05:44 PM
Wow, that looks really nice!... do you have pics of the whole set-up?

NoMoreParagon
12-02-2019, 04:27 AM
that is the one...

nice but expensive. Also, will it be that easy to remove a cup that has loctite in it? with just screwing in rod?

I used to have that tool but it didn’t work for Campy since Campy caps don’t have the bearings hence the diameter of the hole the tool actually leans on was off.

Maybe they now sells adaptors for that.

Like you, I used pressfit BB threaded cups which came off the by just “unthreading” the two cups. In that particular instance I used the Wishbone PF3025c which was the only one which left enough space for the hydro hose and EPS wires to pass thru while routing them internally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave
12-02-2019, 08:33 AM
Wow, that looks really nice!... do you have pics of the whole set-up?

Here's a picture, with a steel plated added at the end, to keep the drive in place. You'd just finger tighten the nut on the left end.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/picture.php?albumid=119&pictureid=542

robertbb
12-02-2019, 10:06 PM
This looks awesome. Have you used it to remove a BB86 cup yet?

If it works as designed I'd actually pay for one like this if you had the wherewithal to make another one!

Dave
12-03-2019, 11:49 AM
Here's another tool that should work to drive out a BB86 cup. A thick washer for a 1/2 inch bolt with an OD of 1.250 inch will just slip into the skirt and catch the lip that holds the spindle seal in place. I ground two parallel flats, so the washer will slip into the cut, with the seal removed. A 1/2 inch bolt and nut can be used to drive the cup out. Neither of my tools has been tested, but either should work.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/picture.php?albumid=119&pictureid=544

Roadguy
10-28-2020, 04:11 PM
Reviving this old one here - does anyone know if Enduro makes a tool that would remove Campy PF86 cups?

Could you some how get this to work? Or would this absolutely need bearings:

https://www.endurobearingsonline.com/products/bb86-and-bb90-removal-and-installation-tool