PDA

View Full Version : J&L stuff...

cash05458
11-26-2019, 12:58 PM
Anyhow here ever tried J&L bike tools? I need a crank bearing removal thing for Ultra T. cranks...and am not digging the 96 bucks that Park wants...J&L make one for 23 bucks...doubtful I would use it more than every few years I am guessing...but any experiences via their stuff?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/J-L-Bearing-Removal-Tool-Puller-for-Campagnolo-Fulcrum-Power-Ultra-Torque-Crank/303154976077?var=602200888532

harblhat
11-26-2019, 01:09 PM
I've ordered their titanium skewers from Ebay before and had a poor experience. They were light, but had rough edges and poor finishing throughout. The lever felt like it was going to snap or bend when closing, and the clamping force was very low - even when super tight I could smack the wheel out with my hand.

I opted to return them to the seller, who "never received them" and never sent me a refund.

batman1425
11-26-2019, 02:29 PM
Unfortunately with most tools, you get what you pay for. If you are really only going to use one every other year or so, I'd opt for the LBS route for that service. Particularly if said cheap tool has any reasonable chance of damaging your crank in the process

ultraman6970
11-26-2019, 05:37 PM
If you have the ability of killing bearings quite often, is better to get a god tool IMO. Sometimes you find the park for good price...even imo the park could be better quality but at least works.

weaponsgrade
11-26-2019, 08:31 PM
I bought a Brompton Ti post from them. The end of the post looked like it had been cut with dull hacksaw and then ripped off with vise grips. At least the head part of the post was fine. I doubt I’ll buy from them again.

cash05458
11-27-2019, 08:49 AM
well, it's a tool...but I can understand the hesitation you guys show for sure...after talking with old pete in private, decided to go with it...really, not much to screw up on it compared to the park...it clamps and pulls off the bearings...same idea and setup...maybe not polished like the park but at 23 bucks compared to 96 plus sales tax I will give it a shot...I too like good quality tools and if it's for intricate stuff, tend to go that way via my toolbox...but this is fairly simplistic so I am going to go the cheapie route...will get back and let all know how it works...

oldpotatoe
11-27-2019, 08:56 AM
well, it's a tool...but I can understand the hesitation you guys show for sure...after talking with old pete in private, decided to go with it...really, not much to screw up on it compared to the park...it clamps and pulls off the bearings...same idea and setup...maybe not polished like the park but at 23 bucks compared to 96 plus sales tax I will give it a shot...I too like good quality tools and if it's for intricate stuff, tend to go that way via my toolbox...but this is fairly simplistic so I am going to go the cheapie route...will get back and let all know how it works...

Yup, in the shop I used just a lower end gear puller..sharpened the 'feet' to be able to get under bearing..old crank bolt in the 'hole' to push against..Pretty hard to damage anything since you are just pulling a 'toasted' bearing off.

cash05458
11-27-2019, 09:01 AM
Thanks again Pete...your advice and wisdom is always great...now that I have saved 75 bucks on the tool, I can blow it on some other bike related thing which I am sure will certainly come up soon enough!:banana:

jbf
11-27-2019, 04:05 PM
I use a cheap auto parts store gear puller. It works great.

https://www.amazon.com/Autocraft-3-1-Jaw-Gear-Puller/dp/B07S31Y5LC/ref=sr_1_112?keywords=gear+puller&qid=1574893307&sr=8-112