PDA

View Full Version : Sapim CX Ray spoke twist: does this look like an issue?

macaroon
11-26-2019, 12:46 PM
I picked up some secondhand wheels (carbon rims built with straight pull CX Ray spokes).

Upon inspection, two adjacent spokes on the front wheel are badly twisted, so much so, the alloy has discoloured. Has anyone had similar? If so, were they okay, or did you replace?

Thanks

temeyone
11-26-2019, 12:48 PM
100% replace.

AngryScientist
11-26-2019, 12:49 PM
moved to GD

also - yes, replace those. that's just a broken spoke waiting to happen.

ultraman6970
11-26-2019, 12:51 PM
Never seen such a twist. Why that hasn't snapped yet?

bward1028
11-26-2019, 12:54 PM
agreed, that's bad.
Either replace them now, or replace them with a fiberfix when you are out on a ride.

I would thoroughly check EVERYTHING else on those wheels. that reeks of shadetree mechanic-ship.

HTupolev
11-26-2019, 01:06 PM
Absolutely replace.

And be extremely suspicious of everything else about those wheels.

macaroon
11-26-2019, 01:07 PM
Yeh, probably best to either send them back or replace them. I guess the wheel has been trued by an amateur, there is a slight wobble where these two spokes are located. Aside from this, the wheels seem fine and don't appear to have seen much use. Although, the front spokes (20 off, radial laced) seem hellishly tight, tighter than my other front wheel (which is almost identical). Is that usually the case with this lacing?

AngryScientist
11-26-2019, 01:10 PM
CX rays and other light gauge spokes can have problems like this, and can be made much worse if the wheel was built with some sort of "locking" spoke prep (or no lube and the nips are seized...).

if your front wheel is out of true, and has a couple twisted spokes, it's best to have a competent wheelbuilder check all the spoke tensions and get it balanced with proper spoke tension, or you will forever be chasing the problem.

otherwise, just return them.

bikinchris
11-26-2019, 02:38 PM
Never seen such a twist. Why that hasn't snapped yet?

Because even the thinnest spokes around are three times stronger than they need to be to do their job.
But yes, replace those spokes.

chismog
11-26-2019, 06:47 PM
CX rays and other light gauge spokes can have problems like this.

Yup, I find it's pretty much mandatory to hold these spokes to prevent twisting when truing. DT Revolutions are the worst, you can't even tell when they twist because of their round profile.

Replace. And check the wheel carefully, as others said.

Black Dog
11-26-2019, 07:19 PM
Yup, I find it's pretty much mandatory to hold these spokes to prevent twisting when truing. DT Revolutions are the worst, you can't even tell when they twist because of their round profile.

Replace. And check the wheel carefully, as others said.

For round spokes a piece of masking tape folded over the spoke will let you monitor any wind up. There are special pliers that are designed to hold onto round spokes to prevent windup.

ultraman6970
11-26-2019, 07:47 PM
The couple of wheels I have with straight pull spokes I put aero spokes just because of the twisting situation, are easier to hold with a hand made tool.

mcc21
11-27-2019, 01:45 AM
looks dangerous!

oldpotatoe
11-27-2019, 06:14 AM
I picked up some secondhand wheels (carbon rims built with straight pull CX Ray spokes).

Upon inspection, two adjacent spokes on the front wheel are badly twisted, so much so, the alloy has discoloured. Has anyone had similar? If so, were they okay, or did you replace?

Thanks

Yup, replace or ayup, they will break there. Some dude didn't have a tool to prevent this or the nipples are 'glued' to the spoke..bad news and poor show either way.

Mentioned above, called a 'Twist Resist'. Great for aero or any thin spoke..

BTW-I'd send them back as well..obviously the person that worked on these is 'lacking'..

tonyfanatic
11-27-2019, 08:48 AM
100% replace.

Yes, replace it. Weird that the spoke twisted like that. Straight pull usually just keeps on spinning unless you hold it with a tool so you can achieve tension. My suspicion here is that the nipple is stuck frozen on the tread and when whoever tried to true the wheel twisted it by over-tightening it. It may not be necessary to replace all the spokes.

Sapim cxray can take lots of abuse because they are somewhat flexy. That's why wheels built with cxray feel comfortable MTB riders love them.
If you want a super stiff wheel, say for crit racing, sprinting, a round spoke section preferably straight gauge will be the best choice but, the wheel will feel like a brick and no aero marginal gains ;)

Etienne
12-01-2019, 05:48 AM
Such a twisted CXray is a symptom of a spoke that was hold firm with the correct tool but had a bad thread and/or a bad nipple.

As the nipple didn't screw correctly on the spoke, brute force was probably used to unlock the thread.

I've had such problem with a bad batch of aero spokes ... not CXrays however, but same symptom. Replaced every spoke with CXray.

So same advice as everyone ... replace, of course.