PDA

View Full Version : advice on fixed gear project

yarg
12-21-2003, 05:52 PM
Well I'm taking the plunge and building a fixie on the cheap. Purchased 80's univega lugged steel frame & fork w/long horz. drop outs (sp 126mm). Question #1 - Should I spend a little more on a track type crank, looking at sugino 75, or convert a shimano (sora or similar)? Your thoughts on looks, gearing, chain line etc. would be appreciated. Question #2 - Right now I am convinced that getting track wheels would be worth the cost (ebay has some as cheap as $134), what other sources of track wheels could you recommend and comments on track hub/rim combinations would be appreciated.

All this of course is to give myself something to think and do to pass the time until I get back on the legend. Thanks for any input.

Ray
12-21-2003, 07:43 PM
I can't tell from your post whether this is your first fixie or ANOTHER fixie, but I'm guessing your first. Regardless, you indicate you're building it "on the cheap". As such, I wouldn't be too particular about parts - I'd just get it running and then ride the bejeezus out of it until you're either addicted or you determine it isn't for you (Experience tells me these are the ONLY two options).

If you dig it, you can always upgrade parts. If you don't, nothing lost. I did this with an old Bianchi about six years ago, using the original freewheel wheel. Once I determined I loved riding fixed, I bought a dedicated fixie wheel and a few other parts and I STILL don't have more than about $300 in the bike, total. And the ride is wonderful.

-Ray

Benjamin
12-21-2003, 09:02 PM
on question one, i agree- go for the cheap stuff. even the cheap track cranks seem to fetch some good money on ebay. i'd just run a cheap old road set with a single chainring.

in terms of wheels, if you're going brakeless (and even if you're not), i think a set of track hubs with solid axles and good nuts are a good plan (or at least get the back wheel and run a standard road wheel up front). an affordable (and pretty well-made for the money) semi-high flange singlespeed flip-flop hub is made by surly. mated with a decent mavic rim (i run surlys with MA3s) it makes for a solid wheel that won't break the bank.

check out the harris cyclery (and sheldon brown) for some good stuff. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris.html

they sell a pre-built surly/MA3 rear wheel for around $150, i think.

Too Tall
12-22-2003, 06:15 AM
I love yah man. Cobbling together a fixie from accumulated crap is a time honored tradition. You can claim bragging rights for spending less.

Don't bother with a track crank. Use the correct chainwheel bolts with a washer or even use two rings. Use an old school freewheel type wheel using a BB lockring to fix the cog or not. You should have a front brake if you are on the road.

I do hate to see anyone using a quick release so convert to a solid axle...that will only cost you $8 at most or free if you have access to the spare parts bins in your LBS.

Add a couple headbanger decals and you're all set to work the DC messenger scene!

Len J
12-22-2003, 06:45 AM
The point is to be out there "fixed"

As someone else said, there is a tradition of cobbling together a cheap fixie, one you won't care about running around in the slop. Nothing wrong with this, it does what you wanted it to do.

Others, who are so inclined, opt for making their Fixie bulletproof for riding around in the slop. Phil Hubs & BB, Nice frame that can accomidate fenders, track dropouts. I did this because I love the look of the Phils, I could afford it & I wanted something I wouldn't worry about. Weight is a relative non-issue on a fixie so that didn't matter.

The point isn't which is right or wrong, the point is do what you have to do to get out & ride.

Len

pbbob
12-22-2003, 12:23 PM
Iwent the old road crank route but had sheldon build wheels with phil hubs

ides1056
11-25-2009, 11:22 PM
Get a ENO rear wheel. You can use it on any road bike you have. Mine is tied and soldered, 36 spoke, 3 cross, on an older Mavic rim- wanted to match an FIR front wheel. This is the only piece of equipment you need to make any bike you are already using and used to a fixed gear.

yarg
11-26-2009, 10:27 PM
Thanks for your advice, but that water went over the dam nearly six years ago.

kestrel
11-27-2009, 03:54 PM
Get a ENO rear wheel. You can use it on any road bike you have. Mine is tied and soldered, 36 spoke, 3 cross, on an older Mavic rim- wanted to match an FIR front wheel. This is the only piece of equipment you need to make any bike you are already using and used to a fixed gear.

Slight sidetrack of thread:

Have you been using the ENO eccentric for long? I just order one for a vertical dropout frame I'm going to build into a fixie. Any comments to pass on to me?

Thanks

Velosmith
11-28-2009, 10:30 AM
This is classic.... 2003?

Some questions are timeless I guess. http://forums.thepaceline.net/images/icons/icon7.gif