PDA

View Full Version : Sufferfest Training program

dsimon
11-25-2019, 07:15 AM
Anyone use Sufferfest training prograim attached to trainingpeaks or whatever the flavor is?
B.L.U.F
I was just wondering if you really noticed an improvement using some type of regiment? I took the 4dp and It literally whooped my a$$ it say that Im an attacker(Whatever, Attucks the doughnuts is more like it) but need to do more rides over an hour. sounds about right with my life I usually tend to only stick with rides up to an hour"I get bored" and outdoors IM usually by myself so 2 hours is usually max.
So if you have used it and you improved please state how and if you stuck to it or you just did the best when time permitted.
Thanks Brain

tigoat
11-25-2019, 08:24 AM
I am a big fan of indoor riding in a workout mode. I am not a fan of those fancy workout training programs offered by TR and likes. When I am riding in ERG mode, I usually set the wattage manually like doing 200 W for 15 min and then increase and decrease accordingly. I know my wattage limits so perhaps it works differently from others. Nowadays, you don't need any fancy app to ride a workout, as most newer Garmins can do workouts for free. With that said though, paying a $100 annually is not that much of money, considering the amount most of us spend on bikes.

I have some old fashion friends that do not ride indoor at all and they can kick my butt on a ride at anytime.

makoti
11-25-2019, 08:35 AM
I'm sort of with tigoat. Indoor training with erg is great. If you get a program like TR or PerfPro (better, imo), you can build your own workouts quickly & easily. Keeps it from getting stale.
You can also do this in Zwift, although not as easily but the advantage is what you look at is always different. You may be riding the same course, but not the same video for the 15th time.

R3awak3n
11-25-2019, 09:06 AM
I did the beginner sufferfest program a few years ago. You do the ftp test and get your number. I plugged it into trainer road and had the trainer road load the files that correspond the video.

It was a pretty great program, Pretty hard as most sufferfest videos are and put me in great shape for the upcoming season. Probably the best bike shape I have been in. Now, the program is not rocket science but it was nice to have a guide and just have to follow that.

dsimon
11-25-2019, 09:17 AM
I agree I was a Sufferlandrian when it first came out and you had to download them. I took there New FTP test its called the 4DP test. but when I plugged there stats in trainer road I do not like the plan. I prefer to do most of my ridding on the weekend with light ridding through the week.

Maybe Im getting lazier as I get Older it not that I dont mind putting in the Time I just dont want to have to go through the setting up.

dem
11-25-2019, 10:30 AM
er, I think a key bit of information is missing.. what is the reason for doing this training?

Unless you have some goal (even a silly one) in mind, it is pretty hard to even offer an opinion on what you should be doing.

dsimon
11-25-2019, 11:10 AM
Goal good question hmmmmm to be better than last year

DrewK
11-25-2019, 11:15 AM
If you just like the numbers... TrainerRoad is probably the best out there. I am a big fan of it. I have tried Zwift and Sufferfest (before SF was bought out by Wahoo).

dsimon
11-25-2019, 11:18 AM
I do not like zwift, manly the VR stuff I really like FulGaz but I feel that adding some Sufferfest into the mixed will help me be a little faster/steadier better.... Meh whatever

dem
11-25-2019, 11:43 AM
Goal good question hmmmmm to be better than last year

Better how? The city limit sprint? Up a mountain? Ride a fast century?

The issue with training (especially with limited time) is you get what you train for.

Absent further information, choose an "FTP Builder" program and stick with it consistently for 6 weeks. You will absolutely see improvement across the board assuming you have set your zones properly.

If you don't follow it consistently, then don't bother.. you're better off just riding for fun and enjoying yourself! Cumulative training load will still help, it will just be random and not as effective.

dsimon
11-25-2019, 03:50 PM
Here is my Stats as of yesterday...