PDA

View Full Version : Tacx Neo Smart

Dekonick
11-24-2019, 06:23 PM
Mine just arrived.

Setting it up BUT no cassette came with it (that was expected) and the spline clearly is not Campy. I have a Campy body on order, but who knows when that will arrive. My question before I start degreasing and cleaning an 8 speed shimano 800 8 speed cassette, has anyone tried Zwift with friction shifting? I don't want to make a big project out of something that I am going to switch to Campy 10 anyway.

So before I dig out some 800 STI and re-build a frame, can I just slap something that fits the spline and use downtube friction until the Campy shows up? I know it is limiting. Just wondering if anyone has tried it.

eippo1
11-24-2019, 06:26 PM
Probably easier to just get a 105 11 speed. Will work just fine.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

herb5998
11-24-2019, 07:30 PM
I've got Campagnolo on my bikes, and just use a Shimano 11sp cassette on the Tacx, it's fine, maybe some minor adjustment to make it work for the indexing. Depending on the workout on Zwift, you can also just do it in Erg mode and you won't need to shift.

R3awak3n
11-24-2019, 07:39 PM
Seems like he has a 10 speed bike

Dekonick
11-24-2019, 07:43 PM
Seems like he has a 10 speed bike

Yep - I am heavily invested in Campy 10 speed. I did hear that you can use shimano 8 or 9 with campy 10 - never tried. I have 'heard' of cross setups using 8 sp shimano with 10sp ergo's - Do you need a shimany rear? or will a campy 10 sp work?

cmbicycles
11-24-2019, 10:20 PM
For a temporary setup I'd just buy a cheap S10 cassette and ride it. Wont be perfect, but probably good enough til the campy body comes in, or find an adapter cassette... campy spacing on a shimano spline... probably a couple places still making them, edco comes to mind and maybe others. I keep one of the adapter cassettes in the parts bin just in case.

purplecu22
11-25-2019, 02:41 AM
I was using a 11 speed setup with a 9 speed cassette. I just used erg mode so i just found a quite gear and let the zwift control my ride. Worked great.

thegunner
11-25-2019, 09:35 AM
not to hijack thread, but did tacx change from using the edco freehub?

i vaguely remember my neo supporting either campy or shimano.

dsimon
11-25-2019, 09:36 AM
Yea they changed I bought mine last year and had to buy the Campy version as well

mulp
11-25-2019, 09:41 AM
My understanding is that Shimano and Campy cassettes are interchangeable with no adverse effects, so any 10 speed shimano cassette would work as well as a 10 speed cassette. I use campy and shimano cassettes on my 10 and 11 speed bikes interchangeably and have never had any problems.

On a smart trainer in ERG mode you can pretty much use any cassette within 2 gears lower than what your bike is built to use (i.e., you can use an 8 speed cassette, 9 speed or 10 speed for your current set up. If you go higher to an 11 speed cassette your chain will not be compatible, but lower is fine), you just have to use the derailleur adjuster knob and make sure the gear it is on is not rubbing. Once again, I am currently using a 10 speed cassette on my trainer with a bike built for 11 speed and it is fine, no rubbing as long as you don't shift, which isn't an issue since its on ERG mode.

PM if you have any questions.

DfCas
11-25-2019, 12:20 PM
To answer the original question: Using and 8 spped in friction mode will work fine. You will need a spacer or 2 behind the cassette. You can determine how much/many spacer you need by trial and error.

Dekonick
11-25-2019, 06:49 PM
To answer the original question: Using and 8 spped in friction mode will work fine. You will need a spacer or 2 behind the cassette. You can determine how much/many spacer you need by trial and error.

Thanks. I figured it should be fine. I just wasn't sure about the software having issues with friction shifting and trying to increase load to adjust for power loss as you shift.

I didn't even think about a machined campy cassette... Forgot they even made them. So now the rub... I never thought about it before... Why not take a campy cassette and machine the spline? Has anyone ever tried it? I mean it shouldn't require taking too much off or cutting more than a groove... Does anyone have a template? This is beyond my skill, but my father in law is pretty (very) skilled with a lathe and mill... but all of his machines are old school - no computer interface, it is all machine and machinist...