PDA

View Full Version : First ride- Johnny Cash

Gothard
12-30-2006, 10:24 AM
The weather collaborating, I got a first ride with Johnny Cash this afternoon.

The bike is heavier than the Yellow Legend, as every single component is a bit heavier. Not that it matters, but there is likely a 2lbs difference.

The frames have the exact same oversize tubed front half. The Hors is 10mm smaller in the seat tube, and about 10mm longer in the top tube. Both have F1 forks.

Besides the Placebo effect that made me go higher up the mountain than usual, I can not tell much about the climbing manners of Johnny. It does seem to damp road vibration better than the Legend, but different saddles, and double layers between my rear end and the saddle mute things a bit.

The Oval bars look great, are rigid as can be, but wil take some getting used to. I have not used non-anatomic bars a lot in the last 15 years, and the hand position in the drops is a bit different.

Now, descending...Aaah, what a sweet rig.The jolts that would unsettle the rear wheel are muted, and as a consequence, my weight stays better distributed. No more being "bumped to the front" with larger jolts. I can dive deeper in turns than with the Legend. A real pleasure. I could overtake a few cars on the way down (we are talking down from ski resorts roads, steep, with tight turns and lots of irregularities). If I can bring myself to fiting the orange Conti tub wheelset (gasp! colors on Mr Cash!), I will have the fastest descender ever here.

So, for a first test, I am very happy. The Hors Categorie brings me another facet of cycling, different fom the Legend (faster, lighter), and fom my Colnago Master Ti (lightest, really fast but not day-long-comfy). I have one for each mood now, though the Master Ti is a bit worried that it might get sold.

joy&revolution
12-30-2006, 10:59 AM
awww yeah supertype seatpost. so nice. cheers

Climb01742
12-30-2006, 11:05 AM
very pretty bike. gorgeous place to ride. you're lucky, george. enjoy.

jthurow
12-30-2006, 04:32 PM
...I can dive deeper in turns than with the Legend. A real pleasure...

Jason was kind enough to loan me his DKS and this was exactly my impression of the it. On one of my first rides on it, I was just entering a down hill turn when I saw a manhole right in my line. I leaned in to tighten my line to go inside the manhole and I was amazed at how easily it was to do on the DKS compared to my full Ti Lemond. It was smooooth...

Your DKS look great! A wonderfull addition to a great collection of bikes.

jimi

SoCalSteve
12-30-2006, 04:42 PM
Descending the hills of Malibu (Mulholland down,off of Decker) one day last summer I happened to look down at my speedometer....Well over 40 mph on twisty, torn up, gravely roads. I couldnt believe how well my Hors Categorie handled and handled the bumps.

Steve

PS: I too have an F1 fork on mine, threaded with a Serotta Ti quil stem. Great combo!

steelrider
12-30-2006, 04:51 PM
Lovely rides and scenery. Man, you've got it made. Truly living the dream.

Fixed
12-30-2006, 05:25 PM
bro imho rocky mt. high
cheers

CNY rider
12-30-2006, 06:32 PM
Is the weather there as screwy as it is here in the northeast US? As in, there's no way we should be seeing bare ground just before January?

And by the way, great bike! :beer:

Gothard
12-31-2006, 01:36 AM
The descending is best described as displacing your confort zone. Where I feel safe at 35mph with the Legend, I have the exact same feeling at 45 with the Hors.
Oh yes the weather is seriously messed up. This morning at 5 it was 5 degrees above freezing, which is good enough for a fall ride. Normaly I should be moaning, waiting for a dry day, and hoping for one in late March.
Steve, when I use the threaded F1, King 2 Nut and the Serotta quill stem (or a Grammo), I really do not see the point of threadless :p

Smiley
12-31-2006, 06:56 AM
Gothard , congrats on the knowledge that you know about DKS , some of us kool aid drinkers have known this for awhile now. I would if I was U really think of swapping one of your Ti bikes out to an Ouzo Pro , much sweeter of a ride if your not a big burly champ. I think the smoother and much lighter OP fork will be just right for U and congrats on the purchase of Sir Cash :)

Gothard
12-31-2006, 07:18 AM
Smiley!! :)
It was your signature that turned me to the Hors Categorie for the first time. Boy, were you right! It is the perfect bike, for the specific day. Proably the one that will bring me farthest on any given day.
Ouzo Pro? Is it that much better than the F1? I kinda dig the F1, or else the Wound-up I have on my Master Ti.
I'll put some miles on it to make up my mind.

rePhil
12-31-2006, 08:10 AM
George,
All your rides look good, and to top it off you have beautiful places to ride.
Enjoy.

Skrawny
12-31-2006, 10:02 AM
I have a Legend TI as well and notice the same difference in downhill cornering when I ride a bike with ST seatstays (both Legend & Ottrott). I'd love to see how a DKS does in the same circumstances.

Great pix!

Enjoy your rides!

-s

SoCalSteve
12-31-2006, 10:10 AM
Smiley!! :)
It was your signature that turned me to the Hors Categorie for the first time. Boy, were you right! It is the perfect bike, for the specific day. Proably the one that will bring me farthest on any given day.
Ouzo Pro? Is it that much better than the F1? I kinda dig the F1, or else the Wound-up I have on my Master Ti.
I'll put some miles on it to make up my mind.

For me, and I love the Ouzo Pro, the F1 is still a great fork..Its ONLY downside is that it is heavy. Beyond that, its a great fork.

Smiley said the same thing to me about switching. I weighed everything, no pun intended.... (and cost) and decided to keep the F1. I am glad I did. I would have had to give up the great Serotta Ti quill stem as well. Didnt seem worth it to me.

Enjoy the ride!

Steve

PS: I love the fact that I still have the original stem and original fork for my Hors Cat. When Joe Bell repainted it, he found the original decals as well. Pretty cool!

Smiley
12-31-2006, 12:36 PM
For me, and I love the Ouzo Pro, the F1 is still a great fork..Its ONLY downside is that it is heavy. Beyond that, its a great fork.

Smiley said the same thing to me about switching. I weighed everything, no pun intended.... (and cost) and decided to keep the F1. I am glad I did. I would have had to give up the great Serotta Ti quill stem as well. Didnt seem worth it to me.

Enjoy the ride!

Steve

PS: I love the fact that I still have the original stem and original fork for my Hors Cat. When Joe Bell repainted it, he found the original decals as well. Pretty cool!
SoCal , I found that my Serotta Ti stem flex'd way to much for my 180 lb weight with out of the saddle efforts. I know your bigger then me but soon it will be very hard to find threadless 1 inch steerer tube forks. Gothard is a light weight compared to both of us. An ouzo pro installed and brother makes it up hill much faster :)

Gothard
12-31-2006, 03:41 PM
I wish I was lightweight again. Closer to 190lbs nowadays. I hope to get down to 175 this spring...
Funny, I will get chainrub on every front derailleur cage, but in the handlebars/seatpost, never bothered me one bit.