PDA

View Full Version : Long over due introduction and how I found Paceline.

gbcoupe
11-23-2019, 04:59 PM
My name is Greg,

I caught the bike bug early, riding with a couple buddies in 1980 @ 14. For Organized group rides, we rode to the start or had our parents drop us off. The sense of freedom and camaraderie was intoxicating. Great times and memories. Dabbled in racing over a couple decades, but mostly just riding for enjoyment. 1st job was @ a bike shop. Love bikes, it’s in my blood.

I’ve been on this forum daily for about the last 3 years. I’ve just recently crept out of my shell and started posting. Still a lurker at heart, so don’t expect too much. Trying to figure out posting pics. I’ve had some success, but most are too big to upload.

Two auctions were won on eBay within a week, only to have them both cancelled. I was pissed. I tracked both frames to the Paceline site (not going to mention what frames). I wanted more info, so I joined. Well, turns out I was already a member from a couple years previous? I’m guessing I was chasing a frame/bike and wanted to see pics? Probably a Scapin… dunno, no recollection.

Shortly after that, i had a medical problem and was off work for 6 weeks. Been on this site pretty much daily since. Oh, and the 1st frame with winning bid? The seller contacted me a couple weeks later to let me know it was mine for the same price if I was still interested. I now own it and love it!

I have a good collection of bikes… every growing. Space and marital bliss are always a balance. Thankfully, neither have been an issue as of yet. Some really good recent acquisitions have me wondering why I have so many. I’ll never get down to just a few, and that’s not a goal. Some of the ones I’m not using so much, the ones that are more wall candy? Those might just have to go. So, you might be seeing me in the classifieds as well.

Love this site! Great group, info and entertainment.

Cheers!

Vonruden
11-23-2019, 05:10 PM
Great intro! Glad ur coming out of the shadows. :)

CNY rider
11-23-2019, 05:32 PM
Welcome Greg.
Where are you from?

gasman
11-23-2019, 05:42 PM
Welcome Greg
Good time of year to come out of your shell as gets , uh, a little crazy here in winter.:rolleyes:

gbcoupe
11-23-2019, 06:38 PM
Great intro! Glad ur coming out of the shadows. :)

Thanks.

gbcoupe
11-23-2019, 06:45 PM
Welcome Greg.
Where are you from?

Columbus, Oh

Been OK riding. Out the door is getting more and more pinched. Nice roads ~ 45-60 mins away.

gbcoupe
11-23-2019, 06:48 PM
Welcome Greg
Good time of year to come out of your shell as gets , uh, a little crazy here in winter.:rolleyes:

Lurking, but been around long enough that I've noticed threads get a little can get a little more crazy this time of year. No worries.

makoti
11-23-2019, 08:07 PM
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Campy or Shimano? Need to know if I block you or not. ;)
Welcome, and post more often.

Matthew
11-23-2019, 08:13 PM
Was going to welcome you but see your from that city "down there." Just kidding, maybe you're not even a fan of OSU. If so, you're team is likely to pummel us next week anyway. Hope you post more often, it is a cool place to hang out. Matthew

zmudshark
11-23-2019, 08:22 PM
Put your location in the 'About Me' tab of your profile. That way we can see right away that you are they guy from 'that place'.:fight:

DeBike
11-23-2019, 08:47 PM
Welcome and good to have you onboard. I just plain love riding a bicycle. The past 2 years I have been learning a lot more of the mechanics/maintenance of bikes. It can be quite frustrating, but also very rewarding.

XXtwindad
11-23-2019, 09:21 PM
The Paceline definitely has its benefits. I lost a lot of weight on this site!
Unfortunately, it was mostly in my wallet :)

Lots of pretty bikes, but the GD section is what I find the most interesting.

gbcoupe
11-23-2019, 09:26 PM
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Campy or Shimano? Need to know if I block you or not. ;)
Welcome, and post more often.

Uhm... the other one? Really going to make friends here :)
I have bikes with Campy and Shimano, but mostly the one left unsaid.
Years ago, I mixed them all. Campy, Shimano and Suntour. Whatever I liked, worked and could afford. I still mix some.

gbcoupe
11-23-2019, 09:38 PM
Put your location in the 'About Me' tab of your profile. That way we can see right away that you are they guy from 'that place'.:fight:

I do like a good college game every now and again. I couldn't care less who wins and usually have something better to do. More than kinda blasphemous around here.

At least they played a real football school today. Next weeks game is always nuts.

FlashUNC
11-23-2019, 09:45 PM
Get out now while you still can.

gbcoupe
11-23-2019, 09:58 PM
Get out now while you still can.

Well, seeing as how I waited so long, I must be a glutton. Or maybe just stupid.

Flash, did you every do some hilly century rides in Ohio? Have a Banesto Pinarello with "Flash" on the top tube? If so, we rode together a couple times.

FlashUNC
11-23-2019, 11:05 PM
Never done a century in the state without a rectangular flag.

Another dude I'm afraid.

oliver1850
11-24-2019, 12:30 AM
Wondering where your nice roads are. When I worked in Hilliard/lived in Dublin I mostly road west. Not much traffic anywhere outside of I-270 back then, probably a lot different now. Flat but you could usually find some wind. Always thought the southeast part of the state would be a great area to ride. Mansfield area as well.

gbcoupe
11-24-2019, 08:01 AM
Wondering where your nice roads are. When I worked in Hilliard/lived in Dublin I mostly road west. Not much traffic anywhere outside of I-270 back then, probably a lot different now. Flat but you could usually find some wind. Always thought the southeast part of the state would be a great area to ride. Mansfield area as well.

When I lived in Grandview, I used to ride out west and sometimes north through Hilliard/Dublin and on out to Plain City or Delaware. Probably some of the same roads you did. Most of the farmland is now apartment complexes and neighborhoods. Throw in some large commercial developments as well.

A bit north of the zoo, along the river up to Prospect is still a good ride. Hocking Hills and Knox county areas are still good. Beautiful mature forests, lots of short steep climbs. Gotta drive to those places though.

Asheville, NC and Maryland's Eastern shore are my getaways.

cash05458
11-24-2019, 01:12 PM
Hi Greg...thanks for introducing yourself and welcome to the meeting...there is coffee in the back and please wait to smoke til the break...as for the classifieds, it's best to find a mentor early as we have all been there...falling off the wagon is expected and accepted...