PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading MTB to 1x11; Suggestions?

Lewis Moon
11-22-2019, 07:34 AM
I decided to put the El Mariachi on an upgrade diet before I started racing it (for fun...honest!) next season. It currently has a pretty low end 2X SRAM 10 drive train and I'd like to upgrade to 1x11 so I can be one of the cool kids.
Can anyone recommend a 1x11 drive train (shifter, rear der and cassette)...maybe a high performance model from a couple years back that can readily be found used? Shimano or SRAM...I'm a Campy guy so, if I have to descend to that level it doesn't matter to me which poison I choose...(insert obligatory smiley here)
Not looking to buy now, just wanted to develop a search image.

Link to my favorite Mariachi group: (https://youtu.be/-rl26QKPHtE)

NHAero
11-22-2019, 09:03 AM
I've had SRAM XX1 1x11 on my Pivot for 4 years and it's been bombproof. The 42T large cog is aluminum and wore out, and it's riveted on, so I replaced that with an aftermarket 44T cog from Origin8. The shift out of the 44 to the next cog is a tad slower than the 42.

I imagine that you might be able to drop down a bit in the SRAM line-up from the XX1 (the cassette is milled from a single piece of steel and I think retails at close to $400) and get similar performance at a slightly higher weight.

p nut
11-22-2019, 09:20 AM
Shimano or SRAM. No issues with either. You will like the silence of clutch RD.

I may have a complete set available soon. I am looking at going Eagle on my fat bike. Shimano XT 1x11 set up. SLX brakes. PM if interested.

dougefresh
11-22-2019, 09:26 AM
FWIW all the 11s Shimano cassettes mounts to standard HG freehub bodies. The only SRAM cassette that does is the low end NX level and they're really heavy.

Both Shimano and SRAM shift fine, I've preferred the Shimano though.

My 2 cents.

Lewis Moon
11-22-2019, 09:33 AM
FWIW all the 11s Shimano cassettes mounts to standard HG freehub bodies. The only SRAM cassette that does is the low end NX level and they're really heavy.

Both Shimano and SRAM shift fine, I've preferred the Shimano though.

My 2 cents.

I'm leaning towards Shimano too...that way if there's something I don't like I can just go fishing with it.
Seriously...The less I have to buy the better, so the HG freehub tip is a keeper. Thanks.

Lewis Moon
11-22-2019, 09:41 AM
Oh...another question, I'm finding myself shifting under load a lot more on the MTB, and my current rear der/cassette combo sometimes makes a noise like Tom Waites making the O face. Given that I can be pretty uncoordinated on the whole shifting thingy in dodgy terrain, do some of the higher models take less umbrage at being slapped around because you're desperately trying to get out of the wrong gear?

bigbill
11-22-2019, 10:01 AM
Deore XT is 12 now, the 11 speed stuff is pretty reasonable. I have it on my MTB and don't really think about shifting until I run out of gears. I have a 32 with an 11-46 cassette.

thermalattorney
11-22-2019, 10:14 AM
Just wanted to throw this out there that if you go SRAM 11sp: You can cheap out with NX on the cassette and RD, but spring for at least the X01 level shifter. The X01 and XX1 shifters have higher quality internals than NX or GX, which makes for noticeably crisper shifting.

The lower end cassettes are very heavy, but I'd steer clear of Sunrace. Managed to bend a cog shifting under load.:confused:

joosttx
11-22-2019, 10:19 AM
If you can do it AXS is the way to go.

Jaybee
11-22-2019, 10:40 AM
There's a bunch of X01 and XX1 out there from guys moving to 12 spd. I like SRAM 1x much much more than Shimano, just on feel. It really doesn't care if you botch a shift or ask it to jump 2 cogs while putting power down. If cassette weight worries you, you can absolutely run a Shimano cassette with SRAM shifters/derailleurs.

If you don't want to buy a whole kit: SRAM 10 speed with X-Actuation (vs the Road "Exact-Actuation), should be compatible with 11 speed MTB shifters Use your current crank and get a narrow-wide ring from Race Face or Wolf Tooth or SRAM. Proper chain, XT cassette, and you're GTG.

XXtwindad
11-22-2019, 11:21 AM
There's a bunch of X01 and XX1 out there from guys moving to 12 spd. I like SRAM 1x much much more than Shimano, just on feel. It really doesn't care if you botch a shift or ask it to jump 2 cogs while putting power down. If cassette weight worries you, you can absolutely run a Shimano cassette with SRAM shifters/derailleurs.

If you don't want to buy a whole kit: SRAM 10 speed with X-Actuation (vs the Road "Exact-Actuation), should be compatible with 11 speed MTB shifters Use your current crank and get a narrow-wide ring from Race Face or Wolf Tooth or SRAM. Proper chain, XT cassette, and you're GTG.

Yeah, you can get non-boost stuff pretty cheap now. I think SRAM XX1 is the way to go. I have a 28t up front with a 10-42 in back and it works great for the steep stuff near my house.

zambenini
11-22-2019, 11:41 AM
You need to feel the shifters in person; they are really controversial depending on rpeferences - I recently tried a late model SRAM group on a test ride and I knew I would never be able to make peace with it. Hurt my hand (I readily admit, set up DOES matter a lot, though) but I couldn't see my thumb feeling OK on its configuration.

I have loved every Shimano mtb group I've had XTR M9xx something rather, XT Dynasys 2x10, M8000. I like Shimano in general. The price is right, the component compatibility is generally good, and their group levels are easy to figure out. I still don't understand SRAM nomenclature, which is why I didn't bother to name the SRAM group I didn't like above.

bikser
11-22-2019, 11:48 AM
I've always used XT, but recently went to SLX on a new build. Very impressive, no need to pay extra for XT 8000. Competitive Cyclist has SLX group for $420, and I imagine there will be a Black Friday sale on top of that too. Can't go wrong IMO.

45K10
11-22-2019, 11:52 AM
I just upgraded to 1x11 because I was getting a new frame that was boost. So I had to get a boost crankset. I went new everything:
Sram NX PF30 crankset
11 speed XT RD, Shifter
11-42 SLX cassette

The total was a little under $250. There are some deals out there for 11 speed stuff.

prototoast
11-22-2019, 12:16 PM
I recently went with the GX Eagle kit paired with a Sunrace cassette (so it works on normal freehub): https://www.thebikesmiths.com/products/9487-11671-13603

It'll probably end up being about 150-200g heavier than a high end 1x11 setup, but 12 is nice, and the 50t is really wonderful for steep climbs.

Hilltopperny
11-22-2019, 12:18 PM
I have used XX1 through NX and really couldn’t feel a big discernible difference while riding. Aside from holding the parts in my hand they all function quite well for their intended purpose.

The only caveat to using sram hydro brakes is they can get sticky when dealing with warm weather. I hope they have fixed this problem by now, but shimano hydros have always been reliable for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lewis Moon
11-22-2019, 01:05 PM
I have used XX1 through NX and really couldn’t feel a big discernible difference while riding. Aside from holding the parts in my hand they all function quite well for their intended purpose.

The only caveat to using sram hydro brakes is they can get sticky when dealing with warm weather. I hope they have fixed this problem by now, but shimano hydros have always been reliable for me.

The bike came with some older XTR hydros that are in perfect shape and stop better than I could have imagined, so I'm sticking with those. The cranks are a set of GX triples that I put a bash guard in place of an outer ring. They work fine. The wheels are DT 350s with middle of the road DT wide rims. All good so I'm looking at just the shifter, derailleur and cassette.
... And tires. I'm still on the old, mismatched set that came on it, set up with tubes. I'm going to spec a set of tubeless Maxxis Ardents for the dry, loose conditions here.

Lewis Moon
11-22-2019, 05:00 PM
So...just for my own eddy-fication I popped out to look at which XTR brakes I had. They're BL-M988s. Guess I'm keeping those (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-XTR-M988-M985-Hydraulic-Disc-Brake-Set-BR-BL-Trail-Race/163924489269?epid=527954728&hash=item262aa93435:g:8osAAOSwbY5dub8t)...

AJosiahK
11-22-2019, 05:05 PM
shimano all the way

nothing wrong with sram but I think shim stuff works/feels better

Hilltopperny
11-22-2019, 05:07 PM
So...just for my own eddy-fication I popped out to look at which XTR brakes I had. They're BL-M988s. Guess I'm keeping those (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-XTR-M988-M985-Hydraulic-Disc-Brake-Set-BR-BL-Trail-Race/163924489269?epid=527954728&hash=item262aa93435:g:8osAAOSwbY5dub8t)...

Great brakes imo. I had that era xtr group on a titanium rigid 29er and they were great.

Burning Pines
11-22-2019, 09:23 PM
I've used 11 speed SLX and have 11 speed NX on a bike now. I thought I might upgrade but after a year of pretty frequent riding it works perfectly. The cassette is heavy I guess. The SLX was good too but I like how NX shifts under load a little better, and the 46t cassette is nice.

As with road the mid and low tier stuff is good now high end drive trains are pointless except for weight I think. Spend the savings on tires.

And there are better tire options than Ardents now. Maybe in the back it's ok.

Jaybee
11-22-2019, 10:04 PM
I agree that great tubeless tires for your conditions are the biggest upgrade you can make on a MTB. Phoenix has a lot of square edged chunk and cobbly rhyolite- good sidewalks are worth the weight. I’m a fan of going as wide as you can- 2.6” if possible.