PDA

View Full Version : OT: Tesla bucks Ford's Mustang e-truck with its own Cybertruck

slowpoke
11-22-2019, 02:15 AM
Elon heard the 80s were cool again.. Cybertruck (https://www.tesla.com/cybertruck)!

The "bulletproof" glass gave tho: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwvDOdBHYBw&t=7m40s

ultraman6970
11-22-2019, 02:31 AM
For 40.000 for the basic model, that's a steal... you can't get even a set of wheels in a ford or dodge for that price. I like the boxy truck from tesla, plus 4 doors? IO they will sell the whole thing quite quick.

Ford will be forced to produce electric cars to start with...

vqdriver
11-22-2019, 02:49 AM
Dude.

tuscanyswe
11-22-2019, 02:56 AM
Wow that is incredibly ugly.

Looks abit like wally crafts only they were designed by someone with a good eye for the lines ;)

vqdriver
11-22-2019, 03:01 AM
When radar looks at you and all they see is a pigeon

Nomadmax
11-22-2019, 03:50 AM
I'm in for an electric pickup to replace the one I have now when I can go outside at zero degrees F, drive 400+ miles, stop someplace (along my chosen route) and recharge in 15 minutes then do it all over again.

Until then, I wouldn't buy one.

oldpotatoe
11-22-2019, 06:23 AM
I'm in for an electric pickup to replace the one I have now when I can go outside at zero degrees F, drive 400+ miles, stop someplace (along my chosen route) and recharge in 15 minutes then do it all over again.

Until then, I wouldn't buy one.

Hooking up with the 'would you buy an EV' thread..EVs of any kind need to be competitive with the gas version..in terms of initial $, and range, re-'fuel' ease and convenience. If ya got the $40K+(and I'm sure the final version will be more), you can afford the extra $ for gas, given the ease of use of a gas version.

Will it happen? Probably. Battery technology will get there. Recharging stations will exist like gas stations do now(expect to pay for the trons tho)...but how fast? Maybe a war in the middle east? BUT the US has oil reserves in spades, and I wouldn't be surprised if we split from any price fixing via OPEC. So, who knows.

BTW-I think that thing is butt-ugly..:butt:

p nut
11-22-2019, 06:33 AM
For 40.000 for the basic model, that's a steal... you can't get even a set of wheels in a ford or dodge for that price. I like the boxy truck from tesla, plus 4 doors? IO they will sell the whole thing quite quick.

You can get a base RWD truck from any of the manuf for $30k or below.

I’m sure it will have the nice Tesla touch that makes it an incredible machine. Doesn’t matter though. That thing is so ugly, I couldn’t stomach driving one.

Vientomas
11-22-2019, 07:12 AM
Sorry, but I think the Tesla truck is exceedingly fugly.

kohagen
11-22-2019, 07:20 AM
Like with the Pontiac Aztek, people who think it's fugly will be told they "just don't get it".

Mr. Pink
11-22-2019, 07:29 AM
Well, that certainly worked out well for the Aztek. Maybe we did get it.

572cv
11-22-2019, 07:31 AM
La beaute est dans l'oeil du spectacteur.

cinema
11-22-2019, 07:52 AM

base tundra 4x4 with 5.7L is 36k out the door before you start negotiating. spend a couple grand and a few hours in the garage and you have a fully locked 4x4 truck that can haul and go anywhere you want and doesn't look terrible for less than this Tesla monstrosity. just imo, it's not very pretty. Not to mention you can actually fix the gasser when you break it out in the sticks. Will be fun to see Tesla road side assistance make their way through death valley when something gives. I love the feeling of instant torque from electric motors and I hope Tesla can make this one reliable and design it a bit different down the road when I'm ready to upgrade to electric. They should definitely go for a more square body style since they have an electric motor and are less inhibited by aerodynamics to meet EPA guidelines

azrider
11-22-2019, 07:58 AM
Ha. That thing is heinous

And is it just me, or do all those Tesla reveals seem like they were put together the day of? Dude is brilliant , no doubt, but compared to other CEO’s I’ve seen onstage he just comes across as a goof

jmoore
11-22-2019, 09:12 AM
This thing = no way.

Rivian = yes pls

jtakeda
11-22-2019, 09:22 AM
base tundra 4x4 with 5.7L is 36k out the door before you start negotiating. spend a couple grand and a few hours in the garage and you have a fully locked 4x4 truck that can haul and go anywhere you want and doesn't look terrible for less than this Tesla monstrosity. just imo, it's not very pretty. Not to mention you can actually fix the gasser when you break it out in the sticks. Will be fun to see Tesla road side assistance make their way through death valley when something gives. I love the feeling of instant torque from electric motors and I hope Tesla can make this one reliable and design it a bit different down the road when I'm ready to upgrade to electric. They should definitely go for a more square body style since they have an electric motor and are less inhibited by aerodynamics to meet EPA guidelines

I think we’re all making the mistake of comparing a 4x4 to these electric trucks.

First off 4x4 is a completely different category. You cant tow, jump start, trail fix, etc any of these electrics. So off-roading or using a truck for camping is strictly for the gas guys.

I could see the electric being really nice for a fleet vehicle for a construction company, but that’s about it. The inconveniences are just to much.

Richard
11-22-2019, 09:35 AM
Two things jump out at me (besides whether or not it is FUGLY):

1. You can't reach over the bed to get things out. You have to climb in from the back. Good luck if you have full bed and need to get to the tool box. Of course, it doesn't look like you can attach one. Problem solved!

2. Like the model 3, it will be very late and way more expensive.

p nut
11-22-2019, 09:39 AM
I think we’re all making the mistake of comparing a 4x4 to these electric trucks.

First off 4x4 is a completely different category. You can tow, jump start, trail fix, etc any of these electrics. So off-roading or using a truck for camping is strictly for the gas guys.

I could see the electric being really nice for a fleet vehicle for a construction company, but that’s about it. The inconveniences are just to much.

Maybe for very light work construction. I wonder how long that battery would last towing 10k lbs. in the dead middle of winter.

I’d say aside from that, service vehicles (pest control, parts run truck, handyman, etc), and weekend project use (think Honda Ridgeline), it’d be an ideal platform.

tuscanyswe
11-22-2019, 09:48 AM
So for me who is not in the know..

Are those ppl that scream over the top of the applause in these new car releases and such brought in to do just that? You know they scream stuff like: Holy crap, yeah man, wow, take my money etc. Cant really see myself doing that and have a hard time thinking of a person that i know of that would, not even if it were bikes involved..

So are the reaction just fake? It seem so obvious and dumb but perhaps im wrong..

hummus_aquinas
11-22-2019, 09:51 AM
PS1 graphics

Mzilliox
11-22-2019, 09:52 AM
So for me who is not in the know..

Are those ppl that scream over the top of the applause in these new car releases and such brought in to do just that? You know they scream stuff like: Holy crap, yeah man, wow, take my money etc. Cant really see myself doing that and have a hard time thinking of a person that i know of that would, not even if it were bikes involved..

So are the reaction just fake? It seem so obvious and dumb but perhaps im wrong..

you need t get ut mre, peple are stupid as hell.

AngryScientist
11-22-2019, 09:54 AM
I’d say aside from that, service vehicles (pest control, parts run truck, handyman, etc), and weekend project use (think Honda Ridgeline), it’d be an ideal platform.

maybe weekend project use, but service vehicles like pest control or parts run trucks are generally on the road 10+ hours a day, all day. that's not going to work for an EV right now.

AngryScientist
11-22-2019, 09:54 AM
you need t get ut mre, peple are stupid as hell.

lol.

Tickdoc
11-22-2019, 09:57 AM
I'm only wondering if this could make the Bollinger truck any cheaper? It is also ugly, but in a usable way, imo. I have a deposit in to hold my place in line, but when they announced $125k ? That is crazy money. I can get three loaded tacos for that. I feel like the way to electric trucks is to electrify current trucks.

https://bollingermotors.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/07-small.jpg

cinema
11-22-2019, 10:03 AM
You can't pull the rear driveshaft when you blow an axle and drive it home on the front. I think it will take away some market share from the cool dad $50k tacoma crew with trd badging that likes to drive their truck to and from the office and park at a campsite in Joshua tree. I can't see even using it as a work truck, accessibility looks poor and you can't really add rails or any kind of custom cages to carry specific equipment.

the Bollinger is the real deal unfortunately no one will ever pay that kind of money for it, I doubt it will EVER be released before they go bankrupt, no matter how optimistic their claims are. if anything they will do one run and be bought out or close down. their battery tech is generations behind Tesla.

p nut
11-22-2019, 10:09 AM
maybe weekend project use, but service vehicles like pest control or parts run trucks are generally on the road 10+ hours a day, all day. that's not going to work for an EV right now.

I was thinking a scenario where you trade trucks. Back in college, I did pest control and would often head back to home base once or twice a day. Lots of stops so you’re really not “on the road” 10hrs. But cost/benefit of having a truck sit charging half a day probably not beneficial. Although, 1 hr lunch break means you’re charged 80-90%.

Blue Jays
11-22-2019, 10:11 AM
"...I'm only wondering if this could make the Bollinger truck any cheaper?..."
Could you post a much larger pic of the Bollinger truck so we can see it more clearly? :banana:

unterhausen
11-22-2019, 10:16 AM
The number of pickups I see that have ever had any load at all in the back is pretty low. Those people are buying trucks out of a fairly deeply set insecurity (recent surveys about conservation bear this out). So they aren't going to buy this Tesla truck. There is a fairly large group of rabid Tesla supporters, so maybe they will buy the truck.

dancinkozmo
11-22-2019, 10:18 AM
looks like it has the aerodynamics of a barn door

jtakeda
11-22-2019, 10:19 AM
Maybe for very light work construction. I wonder how long that battery would last towing 10k lbs. in the dead middle of winter.

Oh yes. I should’ve made that clear. This thing probably isn’t towing or loading up 10k.

cinema
11-22-2019, 10:20 AM
The number of pickups I see that have ever had any load at all in the back is pretty low. Those people are buying trucks out of a fairly deeply set insecurity (recent surveys about conservation bear this out). So they aren't going to buy this Tesla truck. There is a fairly large group of rabid Tesla supporters, so maybe they will buy the truck.

quick and to the point. agree

I can totally see this becoming the de facto RV tower here in CA though.

jtakeda
11-22-2019, 10:23 AM
I agree its not a real 4x4 and that crowd would never accept it. it doesn't modify and it doesn't get fixed on the trail. you can't pull the rear driveshaft when you blow an axle and drive it home on the front. I think it will take away some market share from the cool dad $50k tacoma crew with trd badging that likes to drive their truck to and from the office and park at a campsite in Joshua tree. I can't see even using it as a work truck, accessibility looks poor and you can't really add rails or any kind of custom cages to carry specific equipment.

the Bollinger is the real deal unfortunately no one will ever pay that kind of money for it, I doubt it will EVER be released before they go bankrupt, no matter how optimistic their claims are. if anything they will do one run and be bought out or close down. their battery tech is generations behind Tesla.

Agree. It’ll be a status symbol truck. As far as the work truck concept goes I wasn’t specifically talking about this Tesla one buy EV trucks in general.

And angrysci^ I think a 400 mile range for 1 day is totally feasible as a small parts work truck. I’m imagining it as more of cal trans road crew truck that cleans up trash or follows the road paver so no one runs over the guys on the highway

p nut
11-22-2019, 10:28 AM
Oh yes. I should’ve made that clear. This thing probably isn’t towing or loading up 10k.

Specs say rated to 14k lbs (and 3500lb payload), which is 3/4-1 ton territory. I’m assuming they’ll scale that down when it comes out. Can’t see the thing having the structural integrity to handle those kinds of load. Nor the girth. Looks more like a midsize than full-size.

AngryScientist
11-22-2019, 10:34 AM
this will not be a truck for truck people, it's an urban utility vehicle.

it is well proven that SUVs dominate the market right now, and most folks point to the "higher driving position" as being one of the most favorable aspects of the SUV platform.

This will provide tesla customers an option there.

azrider
11-22-2019, 10:39 AM
cool dad $50k tacoma crew with trd badging that likes to drive their truck to and from the office and park at a campsite in Joshua tree.

https://media.giphy.com/media/sOVueselOTje8/giphy.gif

benb
11-22-2019, 10:51 AM
Almost all pickup trucks seem to be bought as image devices so this is all fine.

"Break Down in Death Valley and fix it yourself" is a tiny tiny percentage of truck owners.

Somebody clearly watched a lot of Bladerunner & OG Transformers cartoons. The crowd here might be too old to appreciate this?

We've had nothing but a sea of smooth edged lozenges & chiclets for decades now... hard edges look beautiful. I'm not even that sure I think this thing will actually be that un-aerodynamic.

vqdriver
11-22-2019, 11:16 AM
you can't you can't you can't blah blah blah

if you don't want/like electric cars, you'll find a million reasons how it's not what you're used to and laser focus on the things it can't do.

and btw, whodaffuq is tearing apart their truck in the middle of a desert? and if you do, how many times have you been stuck out there that you have to narrow your choices to cars that can be reconstructed in the wild??? maybe drive better

now, if you just think it's fugly.

well..... yeah.

vqdriver
11-22-2019, 11:23 AM

hrm... i would think evs are actually a better option for service vehicles. a 10+ hour work day does not mean you're driving for 10+ hours which implies you're doing no actual work. these trucks may have frequent stops within a specific range, but they're not going on a 10hr road trip every day.

if anyone's been in an ev, specifically with ludicrous mode, you understand the benefit of 100% torque at a standstill

mistermo
11-22-2019, 11:29 AM
Two things jump out at me (besides whether or not it is FUGLY):

1. You can't reach over the bed to get things out. You have to climb in from the back. Good luck if you have full bed and need to get to the tool box. Of course, it doesn't look like you can attach one. Problem solved!

2. Like the model 3, it will be very late and way more expensive.

Where I live, there's scads of people driving waaaay overpriced Jeep Wrangler pickups who never venture off road, aren't contractors, and drive it for the social appeal. Let's be serious, that's who this truck is aimed at. If your "pickup" can go 0-60 in 2.9 seconds, you are the envy of your suburb and it will look nice parked next to the Harley that's never used. Or in front of Ruth's Chris. Or impressing your friends at the Bama tailgates.

The Model Y is ahead of schedule. Tesla seems to have figured out production better since Model 3 days. That was two years ago now!

cinema
11-22-2019, 11:40 AM
I would certainly consider the 2wd as a prius replacement for me in a few years though! Could tow my 4x4 to the parks ez

notsew
11-22-2019, 11:41 AM
Holy crap, that's a silly looking contraption. Somebody call John DeLorean! Finally, the bullet proof car we've all been needing!

I mean, Musk has jumped the shark with this one, can we all agree on that? This is like that Simpsons episode where they let Homer design the car.

coreyaugustus
11-22-2019, 11:47 AM
Yes, it will be a comparatively impractical image machine vs an old F-150 or the like. But an old F-150 never made 8 year old me scream with excitement like this thing does.

This thing is a Giorgetto Giugiaro fever dream and I love it. I want it.

Do I want it as much as an old BMW 1600 with an electric crate motor? No, but I still think it's great.

Richard
11-22-2019, 12:02 PM
Now he's designing pickup trucks!

mtechnica
11-22-2019, 12:18 PM
Is it a unibody or does it have a frame? If it doesn’t have a frame, with that kind of power and supposed payload and towing capacity, I’d be concerned about permanent damage happening to the stainless steel unibody which by the way makes me wonder what happens if you get into a fender bender with one.

Either way I’m all for electric vehicles but this does seem to be more of a mall cruiser type of truck, which is fine I suppose if it means people aren’t driving a huge gas or diesel truck instead.

As for the looks I can’t get over it. I laugh every time I see it.

hellvetica
11-22-2019, 12:28 PM
https://www.techspot.com/news/78089-tesla-hating-pickup-drivers-blocking-charging-stations-but.html

If you're still buying a $45k Toyota Tacoma, well, good on you lol.

benb
11-22-2019, 01:06 PM
Almost all the contractors are driving WAY more truck than they need around here too.. the guys driving Vans or Box Trucks are the practical ones.

This thing would be 100% OK for pulling a landscaping trailer all day or something like that.

A lot of this "10 hours on the road" stuff is not very many miles.. stuck in surburban traffic with time parked at each job this truck would have no trouble... cause it's going to absolutely sip juice in that use case.

It would probably also do very well doing stuff like jobs like towing large boats in/out of marinas/boat launches, etc.. too. Short miles, needs lots of torque, doesn't actually go very far.

The styling and the fact it's not big 3 probably stops a lot of commercial users dead in their tracks from buying it though. There's a whole lot of "Pa ran his business on Ford, nothin' but Ford for me, absolutely no GM or Dodge POSes in my business!" stuff going on and Tesla is never going to work for people like that. Substitute Ford for GM/Dodge as needed for the other 2 clans.

p nut
11-22-2019, 01:22 PM
The styling and the fact it's not big 3 probably stops a lot of commercial users dead in their tracks from buying it though. There's a whole lot of "Pa ran his business on Ford, nothin' but Ford for me, absolutely no GM or Dodge POSes in my business!" stuff going on and Tesla is never going to work for people like that. Substitute Ford for GM/Dodge as needed for the other 2 clans.

I don't think that will be the issue (a major one anyway). When the Tundra came out, plenty swapped right over.

Biggest issue is repairs. Trucks being used as trucks, towing, hauling, etc. Things break. You gonna run down to Napa for a replacement part? Local shop for a fix? Can't have a truck down for a month in that industry.

unterhausen
11-22-2019, 01:29 PM
This is how the contractors use their trucks around here. I would like an explanation how this happened while observing the 25mph speed limit. Sorta curious how the Tesla would land in this situation. And will anyone make the boxes on the sides of the bed.

vqdriver
11-22-2019, 02:29 PM
the actual sad thing here is the missed opportunity. even if musk stayed with the exoskeleton thing, he could have designed a more traditional looking shape and bed to really make this appealing to those on the fence, especially fleets. this was a huuuuuge wasted opportunity because those performance numbers are fantastic. even if production trucks can't do 10sec quarters, teslas have the proven themselves to be more than capable.

we're talking about how the critics who say "it can't do this or it can't do that" are a niche market. i mean, who really needs to replace an axle in the middle of a desert? F that.
but the flip side is that this is laser focused on its own niche market and (unnecessarily) alienates a broader audience. not only is this design unappealing to many, it's downright inviable

notsew
11-22-2019, 02:45 PM
the actual sad thing here is the missed opportunity. even if musk stayed with the exoskeleton thing, he could have designed a more traditional looking shape and bed to really make this appealing to those on the fence, especially fleets. this was a huuuuuge wasted opportunity.

That's a great point. Lots of government particularly are under a lot of pressure to move their fleets into electric, their is a huge potential market for electric fleet trucks and its just not available at this point. They certainly aren't going to buy this crazy machine.

Tickdoc
11-22-2019, 03:09 PM
https://m.sfgate.com/news/articleComments/Cybertruck-Tesla-memes-Twitter-comparison-Elon-14855265.php?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=socialflow

bfd
11-22-2019, 04:50 PM
There's a whole lot of "Pa ran his business on Ford, nothin' but Ford for me, absolutely no GM or Dodge POSes in my business!" stuff going on and Tesla is never going to work for people like that. Substitute Ford for GM/Dodge as needed for the other 2 clans.

Lol, there’s a whole lot of that going on in the bike industry! I know guys who frequent “company shops” that sell only one brand: Trek or Specialized or Cannondale or whatever. So their followers believe that Treks are better than Specialized or C’dale or whatever and visa versa and these followers wouldn’t be caught dead on anything other than what their shop sells. What’s funny is the pro riders they worship will do well on any bike given to them. But these riders don’t see that!

So when the Canyons or Pegorettis or something custom like a Kirk or Rock Lobster comes along, you got to wonder what they are thinking?! Lol
Good Luck!

rwsaunders
11-22-2019, 06:00 PM
There’s apparently still a market for Hummers so why not this? Looks like a 1/2 breed Pontiac Aztec/DeLorean. The West Virginia version apparently includes an old plaid sofa and a coon dog for the bed.

jimcav
11-22-2019, 06:03 PM
I like it (I also like most of the other soon-to-arrive EV trucks i've seen--I like anything that helps push us toward EV--one day I hope to go solar on the house and also get an EV--maybe after the boys go to college though). I own a Ram 1500. I got it due to a job far away near cool off road areas to mtb. This is no longer the case, and i could easily do with less vehicle now. Where i am, i see lots of high end trucks, raptors etc, with nary a spec of dirt! I rarely wash my truck and recently used it to kill 2 birds so to speak: loaded all my tools and drove to a work meeting in DC area (3k miles) so I could also do work on my mother-in-law's house while out there. Saved her money, was fun to do--great mtb rids on the way. I wouldn't see this as a direct alternative to a typical work truck, but could see it being useful for lots of people who have trucks for no true reason. Given that I don't have the long commute near OHV areas, I could see myself in one--although there are lots of more affordable EV or hybrids that I could still throw the 1up rack on when needed. I'm hoping one day battery packs are standardized and you can pull up to a robotic exchange where they pull one out and stick another in--whether it is some tiny Marvel comic ironman type thing, or the size of a water heater...

CDM
11-22-2019, 06:05 PM
****show or distraction at best. I am a high end contractor and this is lightyears from real.

bart998
11-22-2019, 06:37 PM
Looks like he was going for a stealth fighter look... and got a Pontiac Aztek instead... I'll pass on the UFO and stick to my Tacoma.

paredown
11-23-2019, 07:30 AM
I am a pickup driver (since we have done serial house renovations) and was also a pickup driver in my youth, working at my father's shop.

My truck--which is in decent mechanical shape--has the battle scars from actually being used on job sites--hauling gravel, lumber--working on my own house, Habitat project, hauling lots of loads of logs for firewood. Also towing--log splitters, flatbed trailers, chippers etc--all do with firewood or construction. And from what I have seen, that's the exception.

When I'm out driving mostly what I see are IMMACULATE pickups driven by people--they are not work trucks, they are luxury vehicles that are an alternative to an SUV. Even the contractors I work with--very few of them use their pickups as work trucks--the plumbers and electricians work out of vans, and if pickups come to the job site, they are immaculate for the most part--they too are a life-style vehicles. (One exception--our tile guy still hauls his materials in an absolute rust bucket of a pickup, as does one of the landscapers I know) Now we have very few farms in our area, and not much light industry so I can't speak for the heartland, but around here--towing capacity aside--most people could use a station wagon for what they are actually using their trucks for--and for the 3 times a year they actually pick up something heavy, they would do far better to grab one of the Home Depot rentals.

If the P/U is a life-style vehicle (as I think it is), why mock Tesla for presenting an alternative life style vehicle--that provides most of what people need a pickup to do, and does it with style AND is an EV?

bart998
11-23-2019, 08:22 AM
Found this interesting design analysis on the Tesla truck: https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/los-angeles/learn-why-the-tesla-cybertruck-makes-perfect-sense/ar-BBXbTkb?li=BBnb7Kz

Matthew
11-23-2019, 08:36 AM
At least it has unbreakable glass...., oh sh$t!

ultraman6970
11-23-2019, 08:56 AM
Great analysis... this truck will sell really fast when the presale starts.

Found this interesting design analysis on the Tesla truck: https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/los-angeles/learn-why-the-tesla-cybertruck-makes-perfect-sense/ar-BBXbTkb?li=BBnb7Kz

ultraman6970
11-23-2019, 08:57 AM
If you have an accident and you need to get off the car quick because the doors do not open, to gave unbreakable glass in the doors is a really bad idea. U need sometihng that needs to stand heavy hitting (what they did with the demo) but in real life you cant put that there.

Maybe even was a stunt on purpose from Tesla.

At least it has unbreakable glass...., oh sh$t!

azrider
11-23-2019, 09:04 AM
Awesome [emoji1787][emoji1787]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191123/8265160a6bc8a93d32e3e8d28ddea290.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cash05458
11-23-2019, 09:24 AM

This above...even here in Vermont and out in the country I would say 90 percent of guys who own trucks never ever use them via what they were made for...all my neighbor guys have them...and yeah, they are working class guys but they don't do THAT work...but I do see them bringing back groceries from the costco run with their wives and kids...so there is that...it's a stereotype lifestyle thing for these guys...my guess is trying to signal to the other guys with the same trucks in same position that yes I still have some testicles left...the I am a truck guy etc...actually, no you aren't, at all...but...

as for the tesla truck...I love the looks of it...car and truck design has gotten totally boring...hardly any differences at all...so more power to them for doing this...and 40 grand is a steal really...if I were a truck guy and had the cash, sure...but I am not a truck guy...

R3awak3n
11-23-2019, 10:18 AM
I like it. Its at least different and kind of cool. And its not a bad price, 70k for the tripple motor. If it really does haul all that, goes for 500 miles and goes 0-60 in 2.9 seconds that is awesome. At first I was meh about it but now I think its pretty sweet. We will see how long it takes to actually come out though...

OtayBW
11-23-2019, 10:29 AM
This above...even here in Vermont and out in the country I would say 90 percent of guys who own trucks never ever use them via what they were made for...all my neighbor guys have them...and yeah, they are working class guys but they don't do THAT work...but I do see them bringing back groceries from the costco run with their wives and kids...so there is that...it's a stereotype lifestyle thing for these guys...my guess is trying to signal to the other guys with the same trucks in same position that yes I still have some testicles left...the I am a truck guy etc...actually, no you aren't, at all...but...I've driven a truck my entire adult life. There were times that I definitely needed one on a daily basis, but more frequently, it's my daily ride. I'm not trying to signal anything to anyone, but the fact is whether I use the truck bed daily or not, I need (and want) a truck for those times that I'm hauling trash, or brush, or bikes, or kayaks, helping folks move, or whatever.

That said, I got tickled this morning flipping though the channels for a bit when a guy on some CNBC show about hedging commented about Tesla and indicated that he just ordered one just to check it out. Must be nice to be so casual about a truck purchase....

cash05458
11-23-2019, 10:51 AM
I've driven a truck my entire adult life. There were times that I definitely needed one on a daily basis, but more frequently, it's my daily ride. I'm not trying to signal anything to anyone, but the fact is whether I use the truck bed daily or not, I need (and want) a truck for those times that I'm hauling trash, or brush, or bikes, or kayaks, helping folks move, or whatever.

That said, I got tickled this morning flipping though the channels for a bit when a guy on some CNBC show about hedging commented about Tesla and indicated that he just ordered one just to check it out. Must be nice to be so casual about a truck purchase....

hey, no offense meant...you want to drive a truck, drive a truck...and I am sure you get good use out of it...but the point is that trucks are certainly a lifestyle/image thing for most (not you of course)...nothing new there via anything in america these days really...but they are marketed that way for sure...and marketing works...but the number of guys who buy these things who actually use them much for what they are marketed for via the image is very low...it's a lifestyle thing, go with it...

OtayBW
11-23-2019, 11:03 AM
...it's a lifestyle thing, go with it...Um.....OK, sure.

rnhood
11-23-2019, 11:04 AM
That Tesla is just about the ugliest truck, or vehicle for that matter, I've ever seen. Couple that with the fact its electric and I have no desire to own one. However, for commuting around town, it should be fine for the most part.

It may find some local commercial use if it has a good tow rating and turns out to be reliable In larger cities in particular, there are a lot of service outfits that primarily work in the localities. Of course most of the time one sees vans as the commercial vehicle of choice. But there are many commercial pick-ups too.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, both new electric Ford 150 and Riviah pickups look good, and appear to be well thought out (unlike the Tesla). They will have to prove themselves however, so time will tell how successful they will be. And there is still the issue with charging, but once a better and more reliable infrastructure is in place perhaps we can learn to get by with them.

cash05458
11-23-2019, 11:23 AM
Um.....OK, sure.

didn't mean you...christ...glad you enjoy your truck and get use out of it...:)

ultraman6970
11-23-2019, 06:23 PM
Well.. from what E.Musk says; Tesla w/o any commercials or advertising sold 150 thousand units already. I think the truck is here to stay for a very long time.

And this is what I like of tesla, the guys worked a basic platform, shapes and engineering for several years... cars went to production and they havent changed pretty much anything, is the same car, darn designs are so nice that he doesnt have to pay for engeneering ever again, cars can be 50 years old and IMO they will look awesome still. And that to me is the big advantage he has over the other manufacturers which are forced for some stupid reason to re do cars every year.

Some dont like the truck, I do like it... and for that price for the basic model is a steal... even if you go to the super expensive model with all the power and features heck... the other companies will sell jack next year. Maybe you guys havent check how much is a truck now a days.. 100K like nothing and the stuff will eat your costs in fuel. You get arguably a more reliable truck, same size than other thing in the market and which probably is as fun to drive as a space ship.... and not even mention 15 to 25 thousand dollars less, do you think is an ugly vehicle now? hell no...

Sure sales of trucks from now on will stop or will slow down a lot because who ever was thinking on buying one will be considering the tesla truck now.

Tesla needs a minivan (real mininvan not an sub) and a sub compact car and they will make the other manufacturers probably to suffer.

oldpotatoe
11-24-2019, 06:46 AM
Sure sales of trucks from now on will stop or will slow down a lot because who ever was thinking on buying one will be considering the tesla truck now.

Doubt it. As has been mentioned, most 'truck guys' will sneer at this thing and go buy a Ram/F-150/Silverado. Even non truck guys...and I'm one(looking at a small truck, like Toyota Tacoma, used) thing that thing is ugly, and the 'EV' part makes the chance I would buy one-zero..:)

EV, even for truck guys, need to come a ways before they are are mainstream.
I applaud Musk for being the (kinda weird) innovator he is but that hand made thing on stage will change more than some when it finally goes into production..probably cost more too.
Tesla's other models haven't made the 'big 7(?)' sales slump.

paredown
11-24-2019, 06:53 AM
Clearly, we are not the target market for this truck--already a 146.000 pre-orders:
https://mspoweruser.com/tesla-cybertruck-pre-order-numbers/

Here’s the breakdown of orders based on Musk’s comment:

Tesla Cybertruck RWD: 24,820 reservations (worth ~$1 billion before options)
Tesla Cybertruck Dual Motor AWD: 61,320 reservations (worth ~$3 billion before options)
Tesla Cybertruck Tri Motor AWD: 59,860 reservations (worth ~$4.2 billion before options)

I can see the attraction--and if I were shopping for one, I would seriously consider it.

R3awak3n
11-24-2019, 07:19 AM
I would buy one too if I was in the market for a truck. Not a truck guy at all but would take this over other trucks.

ultraman6970
11-24-2019, 08:36 AM
Ford sold in 2018 like a million trucks... Well lets that 1/3 of those 150k teslas is people that like ford stuff.... makes like 50k less trucks they will sell... is not like a small number, IMO the market portion that tesla will take from them will be like 10 to 15% if things continue like that. Same will happen with the other companies.

Wonder what Chrysler/fiat will do because they are behind and the only thing pretty much electric they have is minivans.

oldpotatoe
11-24-2019, 08:54 AM
Ford sold in 2018 like a million trucks... Well lets that 1/3 of those 150k teslas is people that like ford stuff.... makes like 50k less trucks they will sell... is not like a small number, IMO the market portion that tesla will take from them will be like 10 to 15% if things continue like that. Same will happen with the other companies.

Wonder what Chrysler/fiat will do because they are behind and the only thing pretty much electric they have is minivans.

No doubt Elon will sell some of these but

Not quite yet, IMHO. Teslas market share in 2018 was 1.1%..so...now running about 2%..2% of a million is 20,000....

p nut
11-24-2019, 09:04 AM
I don’t see it making a slightest dent in Ford sales. Not yet, anyway. I’m sure eventually there will be a good number of e-trucks out there.

But Ford also has this. Which I’d much rather drive than that Tron-reject.

https://www.motor1.com/news/368920/ford-f-150-electric-2021/

dancinkozmo
11-24-2019, 09:10 AM
who would you hire to build the foundation of your house ?

THIS GUY

https://d2uhsaoc6ysewq.cloudfront.net/50606/Flatbed-Trucks-Dodge-Ram-4500-13978848.jpg

OR THIS GUY

https://www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Cybertruck-4-640x354.jpg

rain dogs
11-24-2019, 12:09 PM
who would you hire to build the foundation of your house ? THIS GUY OR THIS GUY

Well that also could kinda depend on if my home had been designed by the local architect and was going to look something like this totally fine looking home:

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fc1.staticflickr.com%2F1%2F89%2F25 9222381_3b17e01696_z.jpg%3Fzz%3D1&f=1&nofb=1

or if it was designed by AD2 architekten and was going to look something like this:

http://www.ad2-architekten.at/Projekte/haus%20igel%20cocooning%202013/Fertiggestellt%20Aalen%20Igel/2016_11_16_217.jpg

R3awak3n
11-24-2019, 12:42 PM
who would you hire to build the foundation of your house ?

THIS GUY

https://d2uhsaoc6ysewq.cloudfront.net/50606/Flatbed-Trucks-Dodge-Ram-4500-13978848.jpg

OR THIS GUY

https://www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Cybertruck-4-640x354.jpg

plenty of terrible foundation homes built by the first truck, the second, yet to be seen... quoted price likely to be higher... however considering that the trucks are not even that expensive and that they will save you a crap ton on gas, maybe the second is actually a better option

cmg
11-24-2019, 01:06 PM
Tesla is more interested in the China market. Larger profit to be had. They buy more vehicles and the government is determined to go electric. So they direct the market. This ugly thing may sell well there. Chevy sells more vehicles there than the US.

cash05458
11-24-2019, 01:24 PM
You can have your opinion of course...but I really don't understand the "ugly" thing...seems universal here...american trucks all look the same...been that way for decades now really...now those are "ugly" design wise...someone ought to start a OT "who is your favorite painter?" thread...I won't for sure...but I would expect a lot of winslow homer or benton fans...I am the last guy to say it, but get modern...or maybe try open your minds to it...:) Loosen up...it's an ok thing...

Dekonick
11-24-2019, 02:30 PM
Almost all the contractors are driving WAY more truck than they need around here too.. the guys driving Vans or Box Trucks are the practical ones.

This thing would be 100% OK for pulling a landscaping trailer all day or something like that.

A lot of this "10 hours on the road" stuff is not very many miles.. stuck in surburban traffic with time parked at each job this truck would have no trouble... cause it's going to absolutely sip juice in that use case.

It would probably also do very well doing stuff like jobs like towing large boats in/out of marinas/boat launches, etc.. too. Short miles, needs lots of torque, doesn't actually go very far.

This - I see it as ugly, but it has a market. It is like a Ridgeline.

93KgBike
11-24-2019, 02:58 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/sOVueselOTje8/giphy.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema View Post
cool dad $50k tacoma crew with trd badging that likes to drive their truck to and from the office and ruin a campsite in Joshua tree (https://www.sfgate.com/local/article/joshua-tree-damage-government-shutdown-offroading-13524335.php).:mad:

And there are so many better examples of usable rec 4x4. Why make 500hp rec 4x4? Electric 4x4 in the desert? Good luck keeping the batteries cool...

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fbestcarmag.com%2Fsites%2Fdefault%2 Ffiles%2F9716369jeep-cj-1982-2.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic1.squarespace.com%2Fstatic% 2F57b9e59b44024338a67ae57d%2F581abc03e4fcb5b114946 505%2F581abc032e69cfd82f89532d%2F1478147091137%2F1 991ToyotaTownAce4wd29k-2.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

54ny77
11-24-2019, 03:17 PM
that's one seriously ugly truck.

no space to install material hauling racks (lumber, equipment, etc), no info on drivetrain capacity while under serious constant load (cargo or towing). besides that, no user of a truck for actual trades work cares if it goes 2.9 seconds, esp. for a fleet buyer/manager.

that said, it's perfect for the weekender "rugged guy" who might get a bag of wood chips or charcoal on the weekend. :p

Dekonick
11-24-2019, 06:08 PM
Is this Tesla's New Coke?

heh - I actually see a market in light commercial work. This would be a good lansdacpe truck - haul a crew, haul a trailer, bed big enough to load a mower for repair, bring one back, load mulch, etc... These trucks won't do more than 200 miles in a day. No need for a roof rack, that is what the tow behind trailer is for.

Ugly as hell, and (besides windows that break if you look at them) a body that can take a hit... but who cares? It is a work truck. No worry about oil changes, differential fluid, did the crew put gas in the diesel...

Lots of safety built in... less likely to get in accidents if driven by different crews, and you have plenty of documentation if there is an accident. So what - it isn't a Chevy or Ford... I still see plenty of benefit. I think I'll wait for model #2 though...

Ill bet you can even mount an electric power washer and work from the battery... mount chemical sprayer and work from the battery... etc...

p nut
11-24-2019, 11:33 PM
Ill bet you can even mount an electric power washer and work from the battery... mount chemical sprayer and work from the battery... etc...

You can already do that in the current trucks. I mean, the thing is basically a generator.

ultraman6970
11-25-2019, 04:25 AM
Oh those 4x4 japanese minivans. always wanted one.

Will never get one :D

paredown
11-25-2019, 06:57 AM
You can already do that in the current trucks. I mean, the thing is basically a generator.

Plus accessible compressed air from the built in compressor for the suspension...

Black Dog
11-25-2019, 07:44 AM
that's one seriously ugly truck.

no space to install material hauling racks (lumber, equipment, etc), no info on drivetrain capacity while under serious constant load (cargo or towing). besides that, no user of a truck for actual trades work cares if it goes 2.9 seconds, esp. for a fleet buyer/manager.

that said, it's perfect for the weekender "rugged guy" who might get a bag of wood chips or charcoal on the weekend. :p

This is the market for 95% of all pickups. Fleet trucks are a small slice of the truck pie. Pickups have become a symbol of who the driver wants to be seen as....well that is true of many vehicles. My town is full of office workers with pickups that are cleaner than an operating room and never haul anything bigger or heavier than a large package of toilet paper from Costco. :rolleyes: With the price of the trucks and the fuel I am amazed at the amount of money spent to own and operate.

Tickdoc
11-25-2019, 08:07 AM
This is the market for 95% of all pickups. Fleet trucks are a small slice of the truck pie. Pickups have become a symbol of who the driver wants to be seen as....well that is true of many vehicles. My town is full of office workers with pickups that are cleaner than an operating room and never haul anything bigger or heavier than a large package of toilet paper from Costco. :rolleyes: With the price of the trucks and the fuel I am amazed at the amount of money spent to own and operate.

Part of it is because of the tax incentives. The 179 deductions make it very attractive to purchase and own the big trucks and suv's if you are a business owner.

https://www.section179.org/section_179_deduction/

tigoat
11-25-2019, 08:13 AM
I would buy a Tesla truck, obviously not a first gen model.

p nut
11-25-2019, 11:10 AM
...Fleet trucks are a small slice of the truck pie. ...

In 2018, light truck fleet sales made up over 17% of overall sales. That’s not that small of a slice.

Anecdotal, but in my neighborhood, lots of truck owners haul their boats and off-road toys all summer. The issue with e-vehicles is any sort of heavier load cuts down the range significantly. Maybe the east coast is ok since there are lakes a stone’s throw from your homes but doesn’t work for out west.

Dekonick
11-25-2019, 06:40 PM

https://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/Cam-Spray-2000WM-SS-Pressure-Washer/p1065.html

Thats my point. A big generator without the generator issues. No need for a bunch of gas powered small engines to maintain... My bet is it will find a niche market - for those who can look past sloping armor.

rnhood
11-25-2019, 07:33 PM
In 2018, light truck fleet sales made up over 17% of overall sales. That’s not that small of a slice.

Anecdotal, but in my neighborhood, lots of truck owners haul their boats and off-road toys all summer. The issue with e-vehicles is any sort of heavier load cuts down the range significantly. Maybe the east coast is ok since there are lakes a stone’s throw from your homes but doesn’t work for out west.

Yes, light truck fleet sales represent a healthy number. So depending on the economics of buying an EV truck vs a standard gas or diesel powered truck for local activities, there may be potential for it. With regards to people pulling boats, motorcycles and the such, I'm not sure it's much different on the east coast. The power drain will be much higher pulling a boat, and charging facilities at lakes will be scarce, if at all. The people pulling boats, motorcycles, trailers and the such have the financial means, and they are not likely to move to some hip vehicle unless it has advantages over that which already exists. For instance, if the Tesla has a superior 4WD (or AWD) then it may be worth considering. But we don't know this yet. Elon may tell people that it has the best AWD system in the civilized world...but he also said it had bulletproof glass and it didn't. And he said his cars are very reliable yet Consumer Reports says that is simply not true. We will just have to wait and see.

54ny77
11-25-2019, 08:27 PM
Are you saying the tight jean wearing, shiny clean Timberland boot wearer rocking a new F150 Raptor or Lariat to haul a bag of water softener salts isn't worthy of such a steed?

:p

Slmo
11-26-2019, 02:05 PM
That thing is an abomination. Musk has lost his mind.

MattTuck
11-26-2019, 02:32 PM
At a Tesla meeting 3 weeks ago...

Elon: Let's throw a metal sphere at the window to demonstrate it is bullet proof!!

VP of Engineering:
https://media.giphy.com/media/xYHscQ1Np55i8/giphy.gif

Black Dog
11-26-2019, 08:31 PM
Are you saying the tight jean wearing, shiny clean Timberland boot wearer rocking a new F150 Raptor or Lariat to haul a bag of water softener salts isn't worthy of such a steed?

:p

One bag: Hard No

Two bags: Yes.

Does he also have a red plaid shirt, beard, and hair cut with shaved sides and longer hair on top? If so, he is the target demographic.
https://snappygoat.com/b/c85ce694fbe128e95743df385765cabf63928d54

54ny77
12-04-2019, 11:15 PM
Bingo!

I forgot to add hauling a bag of organic artisinal dried dog food. Wait, make that two bags.

One bag: Hard No

Two bags: Yes.

Does he also have a red plaid shirt, beard, and hair cut with shaved sides and longer hair on top? If so, he is the target demographic.
https://snappygoat.com/b/c85ce694fbe128e95743df385765cabf63928d54