PDA

View Full Version : Is this enough room for these tires?

bowenarrow
11-21-2019, 10:11 PM
I'm finishing my 2016 Kona Major Jake build. I've got wheels which are an internal width of 20mm. I bought some Donnelly Xplor MSO 700x40 tires for it. I mounted the rear temporarily just to make sure I have clearance everywhere.

The only place where it looks tight is on the crank side of the chainstay. There is about 5mm of spacing between the tire and the frame. Planning on running these tubeless for mixed asphalt/gravel rides so probably will be running them in the mid/low 30 PSI range.

Still on the fence about fenders...but just looking at it without fenders, is this going to be enough room?

https://i.imgur.com/MelEwQ1.jpg

kppolich
11-21-2019, 10:15 PM
Looks good to me, but fenders might be too much.
Tire will squish on the ground, not between the stays.
Not a ton of room for mud but it's a bike and it's made to be ridden.

bowenarrow
11-21-2019, 10:33 PM
Looks good to me, but fenders might be too much.
Tire will squish on the ground, not between the stays.
Not a ton of room for mud but it's a bike and it's made to be ridden.

I'm thinking maybe just a seatpost fender to try and keep stuff off my back and maybe a full fender up front where there's more room

prototoast
11-21-2019, 11:14 PM
I'm thinking maybe just a seatpost fender to try and keep stuff off my back and maybe a full fender up front where there's more room

Take a full fender and just trim it around the chainstay.

R3awak3n
11-21-2019, 11:54 PM
I would run this and not think twice about it.

As far as fenders go... that would be a nope for me... F

vqdriver
11-22-2019, 12:01 AM
Take a full fender and just trim it around the chainstay.

My thoughts as well

phoenix
11-22-2019, 12:38 AM
I'd run it for sure. Fenders will probably be a tight squeeze though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMiller
11-22-2019, 01:14 AM
Yes just trim the fenders if needed, super easy with plastic fenders, but maybe need a Dremel for fancy aluminum ones.

zennmotion
11-22-2019, 06:44 AM
Anywhere I would use a 40mm tire, I definitely would not use a fender with that narrow clearance because of the risk of jamming debris between tire and fender

2metalhips
11-22-2019, 06:51 AM
I had a similar situation with a rear fender and tight clearance, a small rock got caught up in there, not a good situation, instant lock up, plastic fender folded up. Not recommended.

marciero
11-22-2019, 07:30 AM
As mentioned, the gap on the side is a non-issue if you trim the fenders. I've done this with full stainless steel fenders with 48mm tires with less gap than that with no issues. If you trim the fender you are not encroaching on that gap. My concern would be the gap at the top, which appears a bit tight. That is where stones could get jammed up. With a fender that bolt will protrude even further in. A lower profile bolt might improve things. Also note that when snugged up it looks like the fender has to assume sort of a V-shape, rather than a softer U, which, depending on the fender, may cause the outer edges of the fender to curl further inward.

rwsaunders
11-22-2019, 11:52 AM
If I were riding 40mm tires on a frame that came stock with 33's, I'd nix the traditional fenders and fender mods and use an ass saver type fender and a downtube (mtb) fender when riding in the slop.

FriarQuade
11-22-2019, 12:04 PM
How stiff is the wheel and how big are you?

bowenarrow
11-22-2019, 01:47 PM
If I were riding 40mm tires on a frame that came stock with 33's, I'd nix the traditional fenders and fender mods and use an ass saver type fender and a downtube (mtb) fender when riding in the slop.

that's kind of what i'm thinking...

bowenarrow
11-22-2019, 01:48 PM
How stiff is the wheel and how big are you?

They are the Hunt 4 Season Gravel wheels...I weigh about 85kg.