PDA

View Full Version : Latex tubes verboten?

torquer
11-21-2019, 11:47 AM
There’s a Lightweight clincher in the classifieds with a warning sticker to never use latex tubes. That’s a new one for me.
Anyone see this kind of warning anywhere else and any actual evidence behind it?

makoti
11-21-2019, 01:15 PM
There’s a Lightweight clincher in the classifieds with a warning sticker to never use latex tubes. That’s a new one for me.
Anyone see this kind of warning anywhere else and any actual evidence behind it?

Carbon? That is supposed to be a no, but I do. I also never take them anywhere long, prolonged braking will occur.

Elefantino
11-21-2019, 01:19 PM
Makes sense. Heat + latex = :no:

torquer
11-22-2019, 07:21 AM
Why would latex be worse than butyl?
I get the hazard created by increased temperatures but that would be no different regardless of tube.
And has any other rim/wheel manufacturer issued this warning?

chiasticon
11-22-2019, 07:45 AM
think it's been a no-no for years actually, due to the heat. I know when I bought my first set of carbon clinchers in 2013 they had the same warning.

Enve discusses it here: https://www.enve.com/en/use-of-latex-tubes-with-enve-clicher-rims/

Mark McM
11-22-2019, 09:14 AM
Why would latex be worse than butyl?
I get the hazard created by increased temperatures but that would be no different regardless of tube.
And has any other rim/wheel manufacturer issued this warning?

The temperature buildup would be the same regardless of the tube - but latex can't tolerate as much heat as butyl can.

sparky33
11-22-2019, 09:24 AM
Carbon? That is supposed to be a no, but I do. I also never take them anywhere long, prolonged braking will occur.

My carbon clinchers use latex tubes. Though my local terrain isn't where heavy braking and heat build up becomes a concern.

AngryScientist
11-22-2019, 09:25 AM
My carbon clinchers use latex tubes. Though my local terrain isn't where heavy braking and heat build up becomes a concern.

same. i've been using latex tubes in carbon clinchers for years with no problems.

Duende
11-22-2019, 09:45 AM
Road them a few years in my Bora’s, but ultimately got rid of them because of heat issues. They were melting to my tires and really loosing their integrity.

I attribute this to the hilly terrain of the Bay Area and frequent brake use descending etc.

I know folks in less hilly areas who do fine with them. Point of note though... they do ride better and I did have less punctures overall.

Now that I’m all disc, I’m considering going back to Latex... if I don’t end up going road tubeless that is.

joshatsilca
11-22-2019, 07:13 PM
Road them a few years in my Bora’s, but ultimately got rid of them because of heat issues. They were melting to my tires and really loosing their integrity.

I attribute this to the hilly terrain of the Bay Area and frequent brake use descending etc.

I know folks in less hilly areas who do fine with them. Point of note though... they do ride better and I did have less punctures overall.

Now that I’m all disc, I’m considering going back to Latex... if I don’t end up going road tubeless that is.

This purely about heat.. latex can handle about 240-250F and butyl more like 330-340F. This isn't an issue for most flat to moderate terrain, but can be an issue with lightweight carbon rims, longer descents and heavier riders. Disc brakes completely eliminate the heat risk, so latex and carbon are completely safe in that context.

If you're trying to go fast, latex tubes will save you 2 full bike ceramic bearing upgrades worth of watts per tube !

We run latex tubes in our tubeless test wheels as they don't add rolling resistance and don't change the feel of the tires.. so for testing tires it's WAY easier than sealant!

mktng
11-22-2019, 07:28 PM
Latex sticking to the tire can be resolved with basic maintenance. Make sure theres no water in the tire, and throw some baby powder in there.

Been using latex tubes in carbon wheels. Zero issues.

Weird

Sent from my Mi 9 SE using Tapatalk

Black Dog
11-22-2019, 07:54 PM
As has been said. There are zero issue as long as you don’t generate high temperatures from prolonged braking. Such as long descents. Carbon rims generate more heat and are more likely to cause a latex tube to fail. Still, on prolonged descents latex is risky if braking demands generate enough heat. Other than riding in the mountains latex on clinchers is just fine.

FlashUNC
11-22-2019, 07:57 PM
As has been said. There are zero issue as long as you don’t generate high temperatures from prolonged braking. Such as long descents. Carbon rims generate more heat and are more likely to cause a latex tube to fail. Still, on prolonged descents latex is risky if braking demands generate enough heat. Other than riding in the mountains latex on clinchers is just fine.

Hence the disclaimer from Lightweight. Lightweights are specifically for going up hill. And sorta getting you down the other side alive.

drewskey
11-22-2019, 08:44 PM
I love the "about" and then a very specific range. I doubt anyone but you could provide that off the top of your head in a forum.

I've run orange seal inside of my latex tubes for years. I've often wondered what, if any, effect on the heating effects that 2oz of sealant has for my rim brake carbons.

This purely about heat.. latex can handle about 240-250F and butyl more like 330-340F. This isn't an issue for most flat to moderate terrain, but can be an issue with lightweight carbon rims, longer descents and heavier riders. Disc brakes completely eliminate the heat risk, so latex and carbon are completely safe in that context.

If you're trying to go fast, latex tubes will save you 2 full bike ceramic bearing upgrades worth of watts per tube !

We run latex tubes in our tubeless test wheels as they don't add rolling resistance and don't change the feel of the tires.. so for testing tires it's WAY easier than sealant!

Duende
11-22-2019, 09:46 PM

I’m definitely a heavier rider and there’s quite a few long and steep descent that require riding the brakes somewhat... with so many people and cars popping up out of nowhere.