PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Moots Vamoots RSL owners

Elefantino
11-21-2019, 09:53 AM
I've always lusted after one and have a chance to look at (and ride) this one (https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/d/oakland-2014-moots-vamoots-rsl-with/7020940304.html) next week.

I understand that ride, fit and the rest of the etceteras are all personal, but are there any things I should be on the lookout for?

Any comments welcome, either here or by PM.

Thanks!

huck*this
11-21-2019, 10:02 AM
Just as a heads up that is EPS v2 and can be upgraded to v3.

Nice find!

FlashUNC
11-21-2019, 10:08 AM
Holler if you need some unvarnished East Bay advice on the test ride.

Elefantino
11-21-2019, 10:16 AM
Holler if you need some unvarnished East Bay advice on the test ride.
I'm going to take it up to Tunnel. The Broadway climb will be a good tester.

fa63
11-21-2019, 10:24 AM
You want to keep everything else as constant as possible so that you can feel the difference in the frame. That means using your own saddle and pedals, with contact points set up as close to your normal position as possible. Also, use the wheels/tires you normally ride if they are interchangeable, as those can completely alter the ride feel. Good luck!

Clean39T
11-21-2019, 10:31 AM
There's really no way you can go wrong with that bike if it fits you and you are okay with the tire clearance. I have been very close to buying it myself, but ultimately the newer Moots geo (as compared to the old Vamoots SL geo with the level TT like brewsmith has..) is a bit too high in the stack and short in the reach for me....plus I already have my Firefly. I would just mentally be ready for the group to be a bit of a headache or finicky, and factor that into what you are prepared to pay. Worst case scenario, you sell the group and buy a new R8050 Di2 group for it for $1400, but some handbuilts on it for wheels, and for under $3500 all in you have what would have been a $10K bike.

Also, just remember that a test-ride is never going to feel 100% right - you've got to take some time to play with setback and bar/stem choice and such. If it looks good, no cracks, etc., go for it!

AngryScientist
11-21-2019, 10:39 AM
assuming there are no dents in it, and you dont get taken to the cleaners on the price, a used moots is about as low risk a purchase as you can make.

FlashUNC
11-21-2019, 10:42 AM
I'm going to take it up to Tunnel. The Broadway climb will be a good tester.

Lemme know when you're rolling out and I'll tag along.

veloduffer
11-21-2019, 10:59 AM
Also, just remember that a test-ride is never going to feel 100% right - you've got to take some time to play with setback and bar/stem choice and such. If it looks good, no cracks, etc., go for it!

+1 it takes a number of rides before you can really determine if it is the “right” bike. I’ve owned and ridden so many bikes that have glowing reports by their owners and have storied histories, but I’ve sold many of them because it didn’t meet some feel or characteristic that I wanted.

It’s a bit like buying a custom suit. The workmanship and the quality are there but sometimes the fit just doesn’t feel right.

To note, I have owned a few Moots bikes (Vamoots, Compact, Psychlo-x) but not a RSL. My current ti bike is an Eriksen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elefantino
11-21-2019, 02:41 PM
+1 it takes a number of rides before you can really determine if it is the “right” bike. I’ve owned and ridden so many bikes that have glowing reports by their owners and have storied histories, but I’ve sold many of them because it didn’t meet some feel or characteristic that I wanted.

It’s a bit like buying a custom suit. The workmanship and the quality are there but sometimes the fit just doesn’t feel right.

To note, I have owned a few Moots bikes (Vamoots, Compact, Psychlo-x) but not a RSL. My current ti bike is an Eriksen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Of course. I didn't really like my latest Serotta until I put carbon hoops on it. You never know.

Would love to know what current owners think about their RSLs, tho

GoldenUnicorn
11-21-2019, 08:29 PM
I loved mine. I had a 1st gen and a 2nd. Only real difference was the 44mm headtube and a bit shorter stack.

Current riding a Routt RSL CCD, and absolutely love it. I couldn't ever go back to non-disk bikes. But thats like, my own opinion man.

sw3759
11-21-2019, 08:45 PM
had my 54 RSL since 2016,rim brake 44mm HT,only drawback was the price.that bike you linked to is a steal if it fits.they list 25 tires as max but mine fits 28's on wide rims no problem.rock solid descender even pushing 60mph.never regreted disc brakes but I avoid rain rides for the most part
my RSL is a keeper

Alaska Mike
11-22-2019, 12:10 AM
I love mine. A very responsive ride that just seemed to “fit” me right from the start. As AngryScientist said, it’s a low-risk investment if the bike is solid and you get it for a reasonable price.

wgp
11-22-2019, 07:29 AM
I owned a 2012 RSL, which I both bought and then recently sold here on Paceline. The reason? While it was a great ride, I have an older Vamoots (2006) that has almost the exact same geometry and I felt there was no appreciable ride difference between the two bikes. That said, I am confident that you will greatly appreciate the RSL. If I didn't have the Vamoots already, I wouldn't have sold the RSL. I bought it because I was curious about its ride, but aesthetically I could never get past the steeply sloping toptube (prefer the classic level toptube of the Vamoots)! As others have noted, if it isn't to your liking after a period of time in your possession, I'm confident you'll be able to sell it easily!