PDA

View Full Version : Leg warmers vs. tights

cyan
11-20-2019, 06:16 PM
Why many people (esp. pros) prefer leg warmers over tights in cold weather even if they don't intend to take them off during rides?

Besides the flexibility of taking them on/off, what other benefits do leg warmers provide over tights? It seems they only create extra overlap and potential problems of chafing and falling down.

KonaSS
11-20-2019, 06:43 PM
Many tights fit me funny. They are too long or too short, or tight in the thigh and loose in the calf, etc.

It is easier for me to find a pair of thermal shorts that fit well, then I add leg warmers. AND I have thicker and thinner leg warmers to choose from depending on the weather conditions.

palincss
11-20-2019, 06:59 PM
On the other hand, typically leg warmers slide down while tights don't.

Also, and perhaps more critically, it's easier to find tights that are for cooler-but-not-super-cold temperatures (unfortunately, no longer cycling tights, they've all been discontinued for some years now, but they are available for runners) than leg warmers.

Which is curious to me, because the ideal use case for leg warmers is when it's too cool to do without early in the ride, but it's going to warm up during the day so you'll want to be able to easily remove them. And yet, all that's available are ultra-warm leg warmers that are just too hot to wear on a cool but not cold morning.

berserk87
11-20-2019, 07:01 PM
That's a good question. Leg warmers seem to be lighter and perhaps less restrictive than most tights. In a race, pros are usually working hard enough to get by on generated body heat, versus having to dress in a ton of layers.

There seems to be a perception that tights are heavier than warmers. I'd agree for the most part, but I have no idea what weight the tights are that these guys are getting as part of their team-issued kits.

I'm speculating on this. I don't know either. But it seems to be a thing.

gone
11-20-2019, 07:55 PM
Besides the flexibility of taking them on/off, what other benefits do leg warmers provide over tights?
Well shucks, you basically said "besides their main benefit, what's the benefit?"

Leg warmers are warmer than knee warmers.
Leg warmers are less likely to fall down than knee warmers.
Leg warmers can be removed when it gets too warm for them.
Leg warmers aren't quite as warm as tights so if you don't need two layers over your junk they're fine.

vincenz
11-20-2019, 09:07 PM
Tights are warmer than leg warmers. No competition for me. When I’m out riding in single digits, I wouldn’t dare reach for leg warmers. Leg warmers only work down to the 40s and 50s for me. No other pros for me other than they work in those temps versus tights which are too warm.

Cbh
11-20-2019, 09:11 PM
I use both but I feel like I can get a better fit with thermal shorts and leg warmers vs. full tights. As already mentioned you've also got the ability to shed the leg warmers if needed too.

makoti
11-20-2019, 09:20 PM
I used to be an avowed leg warmer man. I wanted to be able to take them off. Still do that to around 50F.
Below that, I am now a tights guy. I'm not taking off the warmers. Who am I kidding? Yeah, it's cheaper to ride in bibs & warmers, since it makes your entire bib collection cold weather gear, but when I finally got some good bib tights, everything changed. I look forward to cool temps so I can wear my tights, now.

mcc21
11-20-2019, 11:23 PM
i use leg warmers and knee warmers. tights just feel weird under the chamois

Louis
11-20-2019, 11:30 PM

Under the chamois? I always wear my tights over the shorts. (assuming they aren't one of the tights with chamois)

Also, it took me a while to realize this, but tucking knee warmers under the bottoms of your shorts legs is a good way to keep them up if they tend to want to fall down.

YesNdeed
11-20-2019, 11:32 PM
I'll be the one to say it. What the pros do looks pro, and until that changes, I'll be emulating some of what they do.

But in my own finding, six or so rides with Craft bib tights and I pondered the inverse question - why mess with tights? The sizing and measurements is another game, the restriction, the wind resistance was terrible...maybe I got a bad pair, but I was in no way compelled to try another. I can wear bib shorts I know I love, thermal or otherwise depending on temps, and leg warmers at a much lower price point. Great fit, very little restriction.

I am, however, describing rides in the mid 20's at the coldest, so maybe I just don't need any thermal advantage of tights, not that I found any. But the restriction alone was enough to make me want to avoid them, didn't find them to be any warmer than a good set of leg warmers. I've been using my fleece lined GSGs for years now. Probably Castelli Nanoflex+ for the next pair.

Edit: Never had a pair of knee or full leg warmers come down the leg. Pull them up to the contouring point at the knee, getting them under the shorts opening, good. But then, I shave'em so maybe that has an effect. That's another argument altogether ;)

Blue Jays
11-21-2019, 07:15 AM
The tights that I utilize for cold winter riding HAVE their own chamois.
Upon the arrival of long tights with embedded chamois, I haven't looked back.

Back in the day I used full-length, thigh-to-ankle, legwarmers...yet no more.
During transitional weather I occasionally wear kneewarmers that can be removed mid-ride.

fa63
11-21-2019, 07:20 AM
We don't exactly get wintery conditions here in Atlanta, but it does get into the low 30s quite often in the fall and winter. I find full tights to be too warm (I have a pair at home which I wore only once). My go-to is my normal weight Rapha bib shorts with Merino wool leg warmers. I find this works perfectly even into the high 20s / low 30s.

oldpotatoe
11-21-2019, 07:24 AM
Why many people (esp. pros) prefer leg warmers over tights in cold weather even if they don't intend to take them off during rides?

Besides the flexibility of taking them on/off, what other benefits do leg warmers provide over tights? It seems they only create extra overlap and potential problems of chafing and falling down.

Lighter, more aero??:)

Who knows, sponsorship? Tights looks cyclotouristy? Maybe too warm?..I see pros in the nastiest weather riding in shirt sleeves and no gloves..

OtayBW
11-21-2019, 07:28 AM
Tights are warmer than leg warmers. No competition for me. When I’m out riding in single digits, I wouldn’t dare reach for leg warmers. Leg warmers only work down to the 40s and 50s for me. No other pros for me other than they work in those temps versus tights which are too warm.Yep. It's simply a matter of how much cold temp do I want to mitigate. That's all....

i use leg warmers and knee warmers. tights just feel weird under the chamoisIn addition to knee and leg warmers, I have 2 pair of tights: i) chamois-less for use over my bib shorts, and ii) full bib tights with chamois for when it gets much colder. I always have chamois against my skin....

chiasticon
11-21-2019, 07:47 AM
Why many people (esp. pros) prefer leg warmers over tights in cold weather even if they don't intend to take them off during rides?pros have to support the sponsors and wear team kit at all times, training and racing. I don't believe teams provide tights generally, since pros need the flexibility of removing the leg warmers in races. and that translates to training. plus the places where most pros train aren't exactly frigid. even in the winter.

personally, I own both but I prefer leg warmers with thermal bibs. mainly because they're just easier to get on and off. which matters in a season where it takes you half an hour to get ready. or when you're shivering and covered in mud after a cross race or cold winter ride. but for near/below freezing temps, I do have thicker tights with a thicker windproof/waterproof layer.

Gummee
11-21-2019, 07:53 AM
I've always figured that if it's cold enough for leg warmers, it's cold enough for full tights. I have several weights of tights from full windproof front bib tights (no chamois) to lycra tights.

I'll just use the layers under the tights to fine tune the temp range. From shorts to fleeced bib knickers depending on how cold it is.

M

FlashUNC
11-21-2019, 09:21 AM
pros have to support the sponsors and wear team kit at all times, training and racing. I don't believe teams provide tights generally, since pros need the flexibility of removing the leg warmers in races. and that translates to training. plus the places where most pros train aren't exactly frigid. even in the winter.

100% this.

All the rest about personal preference is picking the proverbial fly poop out of the pepper. They get thermal bibs and leg warmers from their sponsors, and they ride in those.

jlwdm
11-21-2019, 10:36 AM
I don't like cold weather and never ride much below 40 degrees, but I find knee warmers work great down to 40 degrees.

Jeff

benb
11-21-2019, 11:09 AM
Yah I'd agree... I have multiple getups:

- unlined tights
- fleece tights with windblock
- fleece lined leg warmers

I was a long time tights guy.. these days I'd rather wear the leg warmers.

With what I have the leg warmers overlap with the temp ranges for both the unlined & lined tights. They are the most comfortable of the 3 and give the option of easiest removal during the ride. Critically they are by far the easiest to stuff into jersey pockets as well.

I've had more than a few rides where I started the ride needing the thermal winter tights and then it warmed up to the point I was utterly miserable from overheating. I couldn't take them off and store them because I didn't have a large saddle bag/bar bag to put them.

I think a lot of Pro positions are also such that they may have their saddle heights so close to their maximum saddle height that the extra padding of a tight might mess them up. I don't really think this is a thing for unlined tights but I do think it's a thing for the thick thermal tights. Leg warmers don't add anything between the shorts & saddle.

I've never really had any trouble with leg warmers falling down once I learned how to actually wear them.

My feeling is for what I have:
- Above 50 - probably wearing just shorts
- 45-55 degrees - unlined tights work
- 40-55 degrees - leg warmers work
- Sub-30 - gotta wear the annoying winter tights.

Given that I don't really see much use for the unlined tights.

pdmtong
11-21-2019, 11:10 AM

i'm not getting this.

I thought we were talking about

- thermal bib shorts + leg warmers

- bib shorts with tights on top. tights can be lycra or fleecy backed lycra

- full length bib shorts i.e. tights with chamois

why would you put the tights on then the bib short.cmaois over it? defeats the purpose of the chamois.

bigbill
11-21-2019, 11:43 AM
It all comes down to layers over my junk. I'd ride knee or leg warmers down to the upper 30's, lower than that, tights. In the PNW, I'd commute in tights with a pair of knee warmers in my bag for ride home when it was 20 degrees warmer.

None of the above matters if your feet are cold.

Kirk007
11-21-2019, 01:23 PM
Most of my "cold" weather riding is 40s to 50s. At the lower level, tights are nice, particularly if it's raining. But I don't like half tights without chamois for the reason I prefer bib shorts - I don't like the sensation of a band around my waist. And then there's cost; if you are riding 3+ days a week in the cold that's either a lot of washing of tights or a big investment in multiple pairs. Leg warmers get multiple use with different shorts.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

fignon's barber
11-21-2019, 03:33 PM
Pros wear leg warmers because they do 6 or 7 hour training rides and you can get a big variance in temps during that length of time. So they need the flexibility. For full on winter riding, a lot of pro teams supply riders with tights that look like a bib/warmer combo (the upper looks like bib graphics with solid color legs).

Dude
11-21-2019, 03:40 PM
Pros, in addition to the flexibility of leg warmers are generally riding with some kind of warming embrocation when it's that cold out. Pair that with leg warmers and you're good down to the 20s.