PDA

View Full Version : New RCC pricing & benefits

cgolvin
11-20-2019, 12:52 PM
Offering this up with some reluctance…

Earlier this week Rapha posted the changes to the RCC membership benefits and pricing, and solicited feedback from members; they are harvesting for a fixed period after which they'll respond in aggregate.

TL;DR: reduction to $100/year, increase in bike rental fees, half price (not free) coffee, early access to kit, sales, plus other things related to events etc.

I know we have some other members here and some pretty polarized opinions about the brand (polarized opinions? on Paceline? alert the media), but thought this might be of interest.

simonov
11-20-2019, 12:56 PM
I like the brand, but they lowered the price and the value.

R3awak3n
11-20-2019, 01:10 PM
I will be out next year. The biggest benefit for me is the coffee and since I work close to the NY store a lot, I get a coffee there sometimes Monday-Friday. I really don't use any of the other benefits (would use the rentals if I were to go somewhere with the store but with my post case I would probably just bring my bike anyways), the RCC kit does not interest me I actually prefer the normal rapha stuff. I understand why rapha is doing this but seriously don't think it will have more people sign up for it. If you don't live by a store, it really makes no sense being a member... be it for $100 or $200... And if you travel a lot, it will now cost you a lot more for rental... and the coffee is not free anymore. To me this is a downgrade after they already been downgrading this membership for the past few years.

I understand why they are doing it, not a lot of members and some members only in it for the coffee, others for the cheap rentals and at $200 that is not a good deal for rapha. I think they woulda been smarter to up the price.. say $250 instead of halfing the price and taking a lot of the good benefits away. I predict that RCC will probably be no more in a few years...

Irishgirl
11-20-2019, 01:11 PM
I became a member (currently my membership is lapsed) for the main reason of access to bike rental. I’ve rented in Colorado and London. I was going to rent in Miami but the pop up had just closed and same issue with Boston. I go to NYC frequently and it scares me to think about riding those vs London. The price point for renting a Canyon is great. I rent bikes frequently and often think the bike rental space could use an overhaul.

The access to sales is nice and not a factor at all...I have a fair amount of Rapha items almost always wear Rapha when riding outside and use my other clothing brands when on my trainer.

Definitely have a coffee habit and it’s nice to have the free coffee - definitely not a driver in the decision.

If I lived closer to the Chicago clubhouse my usage and input would be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vincenz
11-20-2019, 01:24 PM
I think it’s their move to increase membership. Why they need to do so I don’t know, but my guess is they trying to go more mainstream. The decrease in benefits definitely makes it seem less “exclusive.”

joep2517
11-20-2019, 02:08 PM
Maybe a stupid question, but for someone who lives in a non-Rapha store city (like Orlando) who doesn't travel a lot - is the only true benefits the access to the RCC kits?

cgolvin
11-20-2019, 02:18 PM
The biggest benefit for me is the coffee and since I work close to the NY store a lot, I get a coffee there sometimes Monday-Friday.

Paulo, you're the reason they killed the free coffee :no:

Maybe a stupid question, but for someone who lives in a non-Rapha store city (like Orlando) who doesn't travel a lot - is the only true benefits the access to the RCC kits?

Pulling from the list of benefits, I can imagine that depending on your priorities you might value these:

Exclusive early access to all of Rapha's limited edition and major new releases.
Early access to all seasonal sales.
Half-price express shipping on all orders.
Offers and discounts from selected industry partners.
Basic personal injury insurance.

One of the industry partners is Wahoo, believe it's 10% off trainers and 20% off computers/sensors/etc.

joep2517
11-20-2019, 02:26 PM
Pulling from the list of benefits, I can imagine that depending on your priorities you might value these:

Exclusive early access to all of Rapha's limited edition and major new releases.
Early access to all seasonal sales.
Half-price express shipping on all orders.
Offers and discounts from selected industry partners.
Basic personal injury insurance.

One of the industry partners is Wahoo, believe it's 10% off trainers and 20% off computers/sensors/etc.

Thank you. When I spoke to someone a few years ago in LA, I was told the biggest benefit was kits, rentals, the coffee and the community to ride with. Sounds like that's changed. At the time, it wasn't worth the $200 (?).

Thanks!!!
Joe

m4rk540
11-20-2019, 04:00 PM
The coffee was free?!?

R3awak3n
11-20-2019, 04:01 PM
The coffee was free?!?

started with 2 coffees a day, then last year it became 1 coffee a day.

zzy
11-20-2019, 04:09 PM
MANY people are at the Rapha shop for their daily free coffee - it was by far the best perk of the membership. Many people in the city easily spend a grand a year on coffee, and Rapha's is good.

R3awak3n
11-20-2019, 04:20 PM
almost too good to be true perk.

pasadena
11-20-2019, 04:32 PM
Personally, sounds like a good idea to me. The group rides bring in new people, and $100 sounds a lot more palatable to access the clubhouse benefits and stay a member.

I live in LA, and still don't go to the Clubhouse. I've been to others internationally.

RCC also organizes trips, so you can do some supported rides in EU for example.
But if you don't live in a clubhouse city and don't travel, it's really shopping discounts which, if i'm honest, more than makes up for the $100 fee.
You're missing other perks but, I live in LA, and over a couple years, only had one free coffee here.
So, of a possible 730 free coffees, I only had one in LA. And I was ok with that value at $200.

m4rk540
11-20-2019, 04:33 PM
Now I understand why unemployed buddies were riding 20-30 miles to Santa Monica at least a few times weekly. If you know Los Angeles, then you understand that only cash handouts, generous Silicon Beach compensation or free good coffee could get someone to travel to Santa Monica voluntarily.

AngryScientist
11-20-2019, 04:39 PM
i really, really wanted the bike rental thing to work out for me since i'm in LA and SF so often. I was told more or less that in my [tiny] size, there was little chance i'd be able to secure a bike in those big market cities on very short notice, which my travel plans usually are.

i understand the challenges of operating a bike hire biz like that, so it makes sense to me that it would not work ideally for me, but man, that would be awesome!

the change to the new terms is not surprising. i think rapha is very smart to operate a good coffee stop at their boutique stores, gets people in the door and adds a revenue stream. giving away more in coffee sales than membership fees is a losing metric.

i am a rapha fan, i think they need to do what they need to do to survive, thrive and prosper. it just makes sense.

cgolvin
11-20-2019, 04:45 PM
Now I understand why unemployed buddies were riding 20-30 miles to Santa Monica at least a few times weekly. If you know Los Angeles, then you understand that only cash handouts, generous Silicon Beach compensation or free good coffee could get someone to travel to Santa Monica voluntarily.

Or a godmother at Bay Cities.

Unlike @pasadena, I live only a few miles from the LA clubhouse and have enjoyed hundreds of free coffees, mainly because I join/lead rides that start there. I am disappointed with losing this benefit (obvs) but for me the value is still there because of the riding community.

I try to avoid riding solo for safety reasons, and I am really happy with the low DHR* on Rapha rides. I completely get the negative reaction that some people have to the brand and its marketing, but for me it continues to be a really good experience.

*DickHead Ratio

sevencyclist
11-20-2019, 04:55 PM
They were going to open one up in Palo Alto a few years ago, but then changed their strategy. I would have been tempted if free latte was part of the membership.

pdmtong
11-20-2019, 05:06 PM
The first clubhouse, RCCSF, is about 5-6 buildings from my MIL and where my wife grew up.

Their coffee is excellent and the RCC benefit of free coffee seemed like a winning move. That is until plenty of non-cyclists joined because this was a much cheaper way to get their daily cuppa.

FFWD to $200 or now $100 it doesn't matter, I am not close enough to a clubhouse to enjoy the camaraderie whether watching live race feed, events or group rides. I do wish there was closer...nothing like watching a mountain stage live with other fans instead of alone in the dark on the sofa (note mtn stages start at 4am PST)

The rentals and discounts/early sale access appeal but the reality is I do not need more clothing. The RCC kit, while I like the look, would be duplicative over pieces I already own.

A long time ago I was informed I had achieved "Imperial Works" customer status with Rapha. This was the predecessor to the RCC but offered only access to sales, some IW branded kit, and a free coffee card. The RCC really raised the bar over that initial effort.

So what should the program look like? I don't know. But even as a predominantly solo rider the idea of having a local spot to meet and do group rides from has appeal.

I applaud Rapha for continually trying to do something positive for the local cycling community.

Clean39T
11-20-2019, 05:12 PM
... even as a predominantly solo rider the idea of having a local spot to meet and do group rides from has appeal.

I applaud Rapha for continually trying to do something positive for the local cycling community.

Same.

I'm likely to join at $100. I like that they sponsor EF, and the Cycling Podcast. Being a part of that for $8/Mon seems reasonable.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

m4rk540
11-20-2019, 05:52 PM
Or a godmother at Bay Cities.

Now I'm filled with regrets and hunger. :help:

clarendon
11-20-2019, 06:17 PM
I joined the RCC for the bike hire but stayed for the sense of community and group rides with people I wouldn’t otherwise have met on routes I wouldn’t have found on my own.

In a city with little sense of community (NYC) the Rapha clubhouse stands out as a pretty exceptional place. I’ve always found it to be staffed and frequented by a genuinely friendly group of enthusiasts and a great place to hang out and talk bike. I’ve since had the opportunity to visit both London clubhouses, DC, Boulder, Mallorca and Seattle and always been made to feel welcome and valued as a member. I appreciate what they are trying to do so if they need to charge a bit more for the coffee that’s fine by me.

Of course I enjoyed the cheap bike hire but that’s not what makes the RCC special. If this grows the riding community and makes it stronger that’s good for me. Just my 2c..

ibis
11-20-2019, 08:04 PM
The first clubhouse, RCCSF, is about 5-6 buildings from my MIL and where my wife grew up.

That neighborhood is going to blow up when Shake Shack opens right across the street from RCCSF :eek:

You think the parking is bad now...just wait. The frat boy dude bros are going to line up for a burger and instagram shot.

pdmtong
11-20-2019, 08:42 PM
That neighborhood is going to blow up when Shake Shack opens right across the street from RCCSF :eek:

You think the parking is bad now...just wait. The frat boy dude bros are going to line up for a burger and instagram shot.

Believe me I know. That corner used to be car repair shop when my wife was growing up there. Simpler times.

I can’t sleep in the front room of their flat in rhe family building because the sound of drunken people goes right up the side.

One day when I renovate it I’ll put in double pane glass etc

As for shake shake the lines in Palo Alto are still ridiculous. So haven’t gone. Besides the better deal is the happy hour burger at Fleming’s

Still waiting for a mid peninsula super duper

Spdntrxi
11-20-2019, 09:22 PM
I let it lapse... but at $100 I will rejoin. I'm in the east bay and hate going into the city..so I think I average 1 free coffee a year so I don't mind that change.

Tall
11-20-2019, 10:07 PM
i really, really wanted the bike rental thing to work out for me since i'm in LA and SF so often. I was told more or less that in my [tiny] size, there was little chance i'd be able to secure a bike in those big market cities on very short notice, which my travel plans usually are.

Anybody know how that works out for people on the other end of the height spectrum? I'm 6'5", and I have some travel coming up to places with club houses. Might be a good deal for me, even with the new pricing structure. But of course I can't check bike availability before becoming a member. I don't care about any of the other benefits.

Dired
11-20-2019, 10:40 PM
Anybody know how that works out for people on the other end of the height spectrum? I'm 6'5", and I have some travel coming up to places with club houses. Might be a good deal for me, even with the new pricing structure. But of course I can't check bike availability before becoming a member. I don't care about any of the other benefits.You can just call the location to ask about their fleet bikes.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Clean39T
11-20-2019, 11:21 PM
Anybody know how that works out for people on the other end of the height spectrum? I'm 6'5", and I have some travel coming up to places with club houses. Might be a good deal for me, even with the new pricing structure. But of course I can't check bike availability before becoming a member. I don't care about any of the other benefits.

Pick up a Kalloy 130 stem to stash in your luggage and you'll be fine :)

mcc21
11-20-2019, 11:22 PM
i really want their shoes. this year while in Mallorca i kept on asking the guy if i can borrow his membership just to buy it lol.
The perks isnt that great honestly unless you wanna 'advertise' for them in your RCC gear. The bikes rentals might been 'cheap' before but the bike quality ain't that good. They give you entry level bikes for a rental fee, and most of the places in Mallorca charged the same or a little more you get the top tier bikes from different bike brands.

cgolvin
11-20-2019, 11:46 PM
Pick up a Kalloy 130 stem to stash in your luggage and you'll be fine :)

Nice try, but the new bikes have integrated bar stem combo, Clean

R3awak3n
11-21-2019, 05:16 AM
i really want their shoes. this year while in Mallorca i kept on asking the guy if i can borrow his membership just to buy it lol.
The perks isnt that great honestly unless you wanna 'advertise' for them in your RCC gear. The bikes rentals might been 'cheap' before but the bike quality ain't that good. They give you entry level bikes for a rental fee, and most of the places in Mallorca charged the same or a little more you get the top tier bikes from different bike brands.

The rapha bikes are not entry level bikes. Not sure how much it is now but I think it was like $20/day before, for a pretty nice bike which normally would be close to $100 a day I would say (at least in big cities like LA and NY)

Edit- I went researching. Before bike hire was $30/day. Now its $50. Still a really good deal on that kind of bike which as I saod before is not an entry level bike, not even close

Irishgirl
11-21-2019, 05:25 AM
The rapha bikes are not entry level bikes. Not sure how much it is now but I think it was like $20/day before, for a pretty nice bike which normally would be close to $100 a day I would say (at least in big cities like LA and NY)

Agree - in London and Boulder the rental bikes were nice
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191121/fb59fe0a6dc22d52c686fead360bc71f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pasadena
11-22-2019, 01:29 PM
Every bike i've rented from Rapha has been a Canyon Ultimate SLX w/ Di2 or Dura Ace mechanical with Zipp carbon hoops.

Ttx1
11-23-2019, 03:26 AM
I almost joined a few years ago, figured two or three rentals would make it worth it, any more and I’d be ahead.

But in SF and NYC I could never get a bike, even in a standard size with 7 days notice or more.

They did a group ride in BOS that I was invited to join, then there was virtually no activity afaik after the popup. Maybe I dropped off the list.

I visit SF 7-8 times a year and pretty much ride past the shop when heading over to Marin, but I don’t really have a reason to stop and go in.

As others have said, if you’re not local to a clubhouse, the proposition isn’t clear.

cycling.james
11-23-2019, 11:25 PM
I never joined the RCC when I lived in NYC, even though I spent a decent amount of time at the club attending events or having post-ride beers with buddies. The camaraderie was there, but I never joined group rides or felt like membership was a necessity.

I moved to Seattle last year and joined. The 'community' aspect is much, much stronger here. There are a lot of group rides organized through the app, and they arrange a number of longer, more challenging rides throughout the year that you can join. When I first joined, they had someone on staff who led weekly group rides, as well. It really helped me explore new routes and meet other riders in the area.

However, I let it lapse this summer. Work and family have cut into my riding time, and I wasn't riding regularly enough. They also cut the ride leader and have started opting for a more organic volunteer system. I am planning to sign up now that they've reduced the membership cost, mostly just to be regularly looped in with other people in the area. The freebies and exclusives are nice, but not a major motivating factor for me. I'll be curios how much or little support they continue lending the model in the next couple years.