PDA

View Full Version : High VO2max and high RHR

joosttx
11-20-2019, 12:54 AM
Has anyone know or read about conditions where a person has a high RHR and a high VO2max?

I was talking with a medical doctor today and he told he seen people with relatively high RHR (like 60 Bpm) and high VO2max (like above 50). I always thought these measurements were inversely correlated.

zmalwo
11-20-2019, 01:39 AM
hmmm, interesting. 60bpm is not exceptionally high considering 60-100bpm is the normal range for adults. The person must be on the very far right of the bell curve of VO2-RHR relation.

Mikej
11-20-2019, 06:19 AM
When did you get the VO2 Max number?

madsciencenow
11-20-2019, 06:58 AM
Has anyone know or read about conditions where a person has a high RHR and a high VO2max?

I was talking with a medical doctor today and he told he seen people with relatively high RHR (like 60 Bmp) and high VO2max (like above 50). I always thought these measurements were inversely correlated.

I’m not a medical doctor and haven’t consulted the literature on this topic but thinking out loud I’d be surprised if there was a clean correlation unless it’s in a specific subset of the population (e.g. cyclists who are less than x pounds, etc.).

Does anyone know of any studies on this? I’m always interested in learning more about physiology and how it impacts cyclists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockdude
11-20-2019, 07:59 AM
Look at any talented 18 year old. High RNR and High VO2max. Both of these factors are individualized and separate and should not be compared between individuals.

joosttx
11-20-2019, 08:25 AM
When did you get the VO2 Max number?

He said in the 50’s

joosttx
11-20-2019, 08:26 AM
Look at any talented 18 year old. High RNR and High VO2max. Both of these factors are individualized and separate and should not be compared between individuals.

We were talking about old guys I assume 40-60

joosttx
11-20-2019, 08:27 AM

Why?

Mark McM
11-20-2019, 08:36 AM

I was talking with a medical doctor today and he told he seen people with relatively high RHR (like 60 Bpm) and high VO2max (like above 50). I always thought these measurements were inversely correlated.

Well, I know that these can't always be inversely correlated. I've got a low RHR (mid-40's BPM) and only an average VO2max at best.

OtayBW
11-20-2019, 08:52 AM
hmmm, interesting. 60bpm is not exceptionally high considering 60-100bpm is the normal range for adults. The person must be on the very far right of the bell curve of VO2-RHR relation.
My thought exactly.

muz
11-20-2019, 09:31 AM
Well, my VO2max was measured as 60, and my RHR is around 55 to 60 bpm.

rockdude
11-20-2019, 12:17 PM
Why?

Instead of digging deep in to physiology 101 or giving you case studies of my athletes, what are you trying to determine or understand.

While improvements in fitness will lower RHR and increase V02max. The baseline of where they start is all genetics. I have 60+ year old athletes with similar V02 but their is a difference in HR of 25ish beats at rest and at max between these athletes. RHR or as matter a fact, Max RH have little to no correlation to aerobic performance when looking across the athlete population. Where as Vo2max, has has a strong relationship to aerobic performance.

joosttx
11-20-2019, 02:25 PM
Instead of digging deep in to physiology 101 or giving you case studies of my athletes, what are you trying to determine or understand.

While improvements in fitness will lower RHR and increase V02max. The baseline of where they start is all genetics. I have 60+ year old athletes with similar V02 but their is a difference in HR of 25ish beats at rest and at max between these athletes. RHR or as matter a fact, Max RH have little to no correlation to aerobic performance when looking across the athlete population. Where as Vo2max, has has a strong relationship to aerobic performance.

I’m trying to determine if there is a relationship between RHR and Vo2max. And if there is what described conditions that cause anomalies.

From the brain trust here there is little correlation between the two. Thanks for playing Doctor.

Mark McM
11-20-2019, 03:02 PM
I’m trying to determine if there is a relationship between RHR and Vo2max. And if there is what described conditions that cause anomalies.

Instead of focusing on RHR (Resting Heart Rate), maybe you should be looking at HRR (Heart Rate Reserve) instead. HRR is the difference between RHR and MHR (Maximum Heart Rate). Having a low HRH doesn't help much if the heart can't beat a lot faster when under stress.

In my case, I have a low RHR. But I also have a low MHR, so my HRR isn't very big - and hence, my VO2Max isn't very high, either.