PDA

View Full Version : Which is the best chain tool for 5.9mm Campy chains?

Gothard
12-29-2006, 03:20 PM
After promising myself to never mount a Campy chain without a correct chain tool I just found myself (again) swearing at my old Shimano chain tool while working on Johnny Cash tonight...
Managed without disaster, but my luck is being stretched too thin.
So, which is the best chaintool available that will work on Campy ridiculous setup (and in a pinch on my older 8sp. bikes)?

chrisroph
12-29-2006, 07:03 PM
The campy tool is a beautiful piece of equipment for the new narrow chains. It won't work on 8 speed.

saab2000
12-29-2006, 07:12 PM
After a similar experience I finally ponied up the cash for the Campagnolo tool. I have not yet used it, but it looks good. Yeah, it sucks to have to spend that kind of dough, but it will last forever and frankly, I see that chain sticking around for a while.

I had some big problems installing the chain on my Look KG381i. Finally got it working, but it took a long time and a lot of patience. The whole fiasco coulda been avoided had I just bought the tool. I now have one.

Ken Robb
12-29-2006, 08:03 PM
How many chains does one have to install to offset the labor charges at your LBS? Mine charged me $5 plus the cost of the chain the last time I broke one on a ride and walked the bike to the top of a hill and coasted down to the shop. It took about 5 minutes. I have a couple of Shimano and/or universal chain tools for 7-9 speed chains. Aren't these Campy tools over $60? If so I can't justify buying one.

atmo
12-29-2006, 08:08 PM
How many chains does one have to install to offset the labor charges at your LBS? Mine charged me $5 plus the cost of the chain the last time I broke one on a ride and walked the bike to the top of a hill and coasted down to the shop. It took about 5 minutes. I have a couple of Shimano and/or universal chain tools for 7-9 speed chains. Aren't these Campy tools over $60? If so I can't justify buying one.
i use a 10 dollar tool and sometimes even a c-clamp atmo.
the expensive tools are cool, but not necessary atmo.

fogrider
12-29-2006, 09:50 PM
the ATTIVO chain tool is great! it feels solid, there are really nice features and it adjust for the width of the chain...and its a great price! this thing is smooth to use too.

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=137&cat=Chain+Tools

znfdl
12-30-2006, 07:05 AM
Gothard:

If you do a search, Tom Kellog did a nice write up on why the campy chain tool is so nice. I believe that saab2000 started the thread.

Bill Bove
12-30-2006, 10:56 AM
A 10 speed Dura Ace chain will work very well on a 10 speed Campy set up. Maybe better.

SRAM's new 10 speed chains are very nice too. The joining link is NOT reusable, you must use a new one every time you break the chain. I break my chain to throw it away. It's easier and cheaper to clean it on the bike.

sgmidf
01-07-2007, 07:15 AM
I found an older Rohloff chain tool locally. Does anyone know if this can be used on 10 speed chains?

stevep
01-07-2007, 07:32 AM
i use a 10 dollar tool and sometimes even a c-clamp atmo.
the expensive tools are cool, but not necessary atmo.

i disagree with atmo.
i see a lot of broken chains these days... rarely saw one ten years ago. almost always the result of..." i think this will work, i'm not spending money on some expensive tool"...spoken while riding at $7,500 bicycle.
these chains are not friendly for improper installation like the old 8-9 spd chains. in the day you could push out any link, etc.
you can get a base model 10 spd appropriate tool for shimano chains... it is unwise to try to use the old thing that is sitting in yr basement for 6 yrs. the pin is too wide. works badly or not at all. what wil work on campy is anyones guess. get a campy installation tool. the collarbone you save might be mine.

these days the downside of a badly installed chain can be:
a long, pita walk from somewhere
a cel phone call to a spouse to pick you up and several hours of house work to repay that debt
a busted bone when you go over the bars as you stand up and the damn fool thing breaks...always at maximum load.
the old tools work badly or not at all on these new narrow chains.
kick in the cash... think of the $$$ you will save in a broken bone.

Bill Bove
01-07-2007, 10:41 AM
i disagree with atmo.
i see a lot of broken chains these days... rarely saw one ten years ago. almost always the result of..." i think this will work, i'm not spending money on some expensive tool"...spoken while riding at $7,500 bicycle.
these chains are not friendly for improper installation like the old 8-9 spd chains. in the day you could push out any link, etc.
you can get a base model 10 spd appropriate tool for shimano chains... it is unwise to try to use the old thing that is sitting in yr basement for 6 yrs. the pin is too wide. works badly or not at all. what wil work on campy is anyones guess. get a campy installation tool. the collarbone you save might be mine.

these days the downside of a badly installed chain can be:
a long, pita walk from somewhere
a cel phone call to a spouse to pick you up and several hours of house work to repay that debt
a busted bone when you go over the bars as you stand up and the damn fool thing breaks...always at maximum load.
the old tools work badly or not at all on these new narrow chains.
kick in the cash... think of the $$$ you will save in a broken bone.

"The collabone you save may be mine"

Word.

Buy the tool or pay someone who has one to do the work.

Grant McLean
01-07-2007, 10:54 AM
i disagree with atmo.

Steve,

I wouldn't argue against buying tools, 'cause i love tools. But installing a 2007
campy chain is a piece of cake. The guide pin makes it so easy. All you have
to do is press it in straight. As long as the width of the slot in the tool allows
a narrow 10 speed chain to slip in, you're good to go. There's nothing more
magical about an expensive tool. It's made better, but as long as things are
lined up, and you don't just over crank a misaligned pin, the chain will be
safe.

Like using any tool, a moron can mess up the parts. Pilot error can do it
wrong even with the best tools. And always - Read the instructions!

g

shanerpvt
01-07-2007, 11:10 AM
Steve,

The guide pin makes it so easy. All you have
to do is press it in straight. As long as the width of the slot in the tool allows
a narrow 10 speed chain to slip in, you're good to go.

g

Does a standard Park Chain tool have a "slot" suitable for this?

Grant McLean
01-07-2007, 11:20 AM
Does a standard Park Chain tool have a "slot" suitable for this?

All the park chain tools currently being sold work on 10sp chains.

http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=5&item=CT%2D5

Like SteveP said, there are old tools that have a thicker shelf in the center
for 8sp chains. If you try to slip a 10sp chain in there, it won't go all the way in.

But if you're going out to buy a tool for a 10 speed chain,
the ones being sold by park will work great. As with anything mechanical,
if anyone isn't sure you are up to the task, get someone to show you, it's
not rocket surgery.

g

stevep
01-07-2007, 11:24 AM
campy is not my forte. i have never installed a campy chain.
atmo installs enough campy chains that i bet he could put one on correctly with a rock and a tin can... but
i have seen quite a few 10 spd chains bust on rides...both brands.
often it is the result of trying to use an old chain tool that is not appropriate for 10 spd chains... or someone who installs a chain very rarely and may push the pin a little too far or not quite far enough..
just saying... better to pay someone who does it than screw with it once or twice a year and get it wrong. again. it is often a very expensive bicycle.... special tools are a part of the game.
medical care is expensive.
better to have odds in yr favor than against

Steve,

I wouldn't argue against buying tools, 'cause i love tools. But installing a 2007
campy chain is a piece of cake. The guide pin makes it so easy. All you have
a narrow 10 speed chain to slip in, you're good to go. There's nothing more
magical about an expensive tool. It's made better, but as long as things are
lined up, and you don't just over crank a misaligned pin, the chain will be
safe.

Like using any tool, a moron can mess up the parts. Pilot error can do it
wrong even with the best tools. And always - Read the instructions!

g

Grant McLean
01-07-2007, 11:30 AM
campy is not my forte. i have never installed a campy chain.
atmo installs enough campy chains that i bet he could put one on correctly with a rock and a tin can... but
i have seen quite a few 10 spd chains bust on rides...both brands.
often it is the result of trying to use an old chain tool that is not appropriate for 10 spd chains... or someone who installs a chain very rarely and may push the pin a little too far or not quite far enough..
just saying... better to pay someone who does it than screw with it once or twice a year and get it wrong. again. it is often a very expensive bicycle.... special tools are a part of the game.
medical care is expensive.
better to have odds in yr favor than against

You make the correct distinction in your first post.
The point is: don't use an 8 or 9 speed tool to install any brand 10 speed chain.
What i really could have said more clearly was - "Just use a 10sp tool to install a campy10 chain"
For campy10 chains, the tool doesn't need to be a fancy campy tool, just a
good condition tool designed for 10 speed chains. And like steve said,
just pay someone to do it, if you're not handy.

g

pdxmech13
01-07-2007, 11:55 AM
the difference between 6-7-8-9 tools and ten speed is how close the backing plate is to the outer link. this allows support to the chain under the stress of pushing in the new pin. I have collected evidence after a few years and have found that applying some lube on the new pin greatly increases successful installation.

djg
01-07-2007, 04:37 PM
Maybe it's foolish but I just went for it on campagnolo's chain tool--about 69 bucks from probikekit with free shipping (a whole lot for a chain tool, but the best price I'd seen). Having borrowed it once, and pondered those hollow pins, I decided to get the proprietary (and likely unnecessary) tool.

Grant McLean
01-07-2007, 04:40 PM
Maybe it's foolish but I just went for it on campagnolo's chain tool--about 69 bucks from probikekit with free shipping (a whole lot for a chain tool, but the best price I'd seen). Having borrowed it once, and pondered those hollow pins, I decided to get the proprietary (and likely unnecessary) tool.

I own one. Fools love company! :)

g

Xyzzy
01-07-2007, 05:18 PM

chrisroph
01-07-2007, 06:55 PM

its not foolish, its a wonderful tool and you got it for a good price. it is to chain tools what serottas are to bicycles.