PDA

View Full Version : D2r2 - 2020

AngryScientist
11-19-2019, 06:29 AM
Registration is OPEN!!

I was one of the first 5 people to register this year :)

Get on it!

weisan
11-19-2019, 07:19 AM

Did you win a prize? :hello:

I am thinking about it....

R3awak3n
11-19-2019, 08:27 AM
I am gonna register later today. Have a few other rides I want to register for as well

Jad
11-19-2019, 09:27 AM
What--you mean you don't want to wait until too late and then try to find an extra reg for sale? I find that adds to the excitement.

Really though, it's a great idea to get ahead of this stuff--being registered early means you sort of get to look forward to it for longer.

eippo1
11-19-2019, 01:53 PM
Registration is OPEN!!

Get on it!

Doing the 180? Going to sign up for the Mystery 100k. Hopefully my amigo doesn't drop out this year.

jcs7282
11-19-2019, 02:30 PM
In!

sparky33
11-19-2019, 02:42 PM
In. Doing the Family ride.

Slmo
11-19-2019, 03:07 PM
This is one of the best events that I've done. I highly recommend it.

bpiecuch
11-19-2019, 03:23 PM
I'm in as well, currently registered for the 100k.
Not sure why they need 100k, 100k mystery, 115k, 125k mystery, 160k, and 180k options though...

My first organized Gravel event, though I'll probably complete a couple others between now and then. Have done a little bit of mixed terrain riding over the last 6 months.

Does anyone want to comment on the "randonneur" aspect of the event? Is the GPS route accurate enough to follow, or do you need to use some real-time map reading skills?

R3awak3n
11-19-2019, 04:02 PM
Not sure why they need 100k, 100k mystery, 115k, 125k mystery, 160k, and 180k options though...

My first organized Gravel event, though I'll probably complete a couple others between now and then. Have done a little bit of mixed terrain riding over the last 6 months.

Does anyone want to comment on the "randonneur" aspect of the event? Is the GPS route accurate enough to follow, or do you need to use some real-time map reading skills?

gps will be accurate and you can rely on it

sparky33
11-19-2019, 04:42 PM
The GPS routes are reliable and useful.
When you ride D2R2 with your Garmin etc you will suddenly find yourself with new friends who will enjoy following along with you (and your GPS) and not getting lost.

sagerobison
11-19-2019, 04:52 PM
Agree the GPS routes are good, but I’ve still managed to miss a few turns over the years. It’s part of the adventure.

witcombusa
02-27-2020, 06:56 AM
Today is the last day to get registered @ the $120 price.
15th anniversary for this event. To say it has matured would be a massive understatement! :banana:

Great ride and the money is for preserving more of the land we ride through.

534 registered riders currently!

https://www.bikereg.com/d2r2#Register

cp43
02-27-2020, 08:22 AM

Even if you don't use a GPS, you don't need to read a map. Cue sheets are available, you just have to follow along, and follow the directions.

IMHO, it's worth having the cue sheet even if you also have a GPS. The cue sheet has warnings for things like very bumpy roads, very steep descents that end at a stop sign, etc. Stuff that's nice to know, and that most GPS units won't tell you.

Chris

NHAero
02-27-2020, 08:33 AM
What I liked about the cue sheet is the key info at a turn where one ride turns and another ride doesn't turn!

Even if you don't use a GPS, you don't need to read a map. Cue sheets are available, you just have to follow along, and follow the directions.

IMHO, it's worth having the cue sheet even if you also have a GPS. The cue sheet has warnings for things like very bumpy roads, very steep descents that end at a stop sign, etc. Stuff that's nice to know, and that most GPS units won't tell you.

Chris

R3awak3n
02-27-2020, 08:58 AM
Can't wait till August!

SlowPokePete
02-27-2020, 04:01 PM
I've always wanted to do the D2R2 but we go to the beach in Maryland every year, same two weeks, and come back the Monday after the event.

Life holds some big changes for me, all positive, at the end of June, and the annual beach trip isn't going to happen, so...

I'm IN for the 100k...

pretty psyched to be doing it this year, especially since I just had to transfer my Farmer's Daughter registration to a friend due to a conflict that came up on that weekend.

Back in my whitewater days (yikes...30 years ago) I used to visit the area to paddle the Deerfield River to paddle Dragon's tooth etc and haven't been back since then.

So anyways....see you all there!

SPP

nobuseri
02-27-2020, 05:32 PM
I signed up for the 180 a while back. Still on schedule to attend.

Dave M
02-27-2020, 08:31 PM
Also reg’d for the 180k. Did the 160 last year. Great ride with a neat vibe.

Miller76
02-27-2020, 08:48 PM
I’m in, signed up for the 160km Route

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cabriggs
02-27-2020, 10:26 PM
Last year I went for the first time and did the Green River ride (46 miles), and it was (and still is, for now) the longest ride I've ever done.

This year I've signed up for the 100k and it could be the longest ride I do to that point, depending on what kind of prep rides I do this summer. Will definitely look to crack 50 miles sometime before then, and probably 60.

R3awak3n
02-27-2020, 11:22 PM
Last year I went for the first time and did the Green River ride (46 miles), and it was (and still is, for now) the longest ride I've ever done.

This year I've signed up for the 100k and it could be the longest ride I do to that point, depending on what kind of prep rides I do this summer. Will definitely look to crack 50 miles sometime before then, and probably 60.

You got this. The 100k is one of my favorites. Its sooooo good

NHAero
02-28-2020, 07:17 AM
Hey Pete, maybe we could try to ride that 100K together - we met up at French Fender Day, I rode the blue Anderson stainless.

I've always wanted to do the D2R2 but we go to the beach in Maryland every year, same two weeks, and come back the Monday after the event.

Life holds some big changes for me, all positive, at the end of June, and the annual beach trip isn't going to happen, so...

I'm IN for the 100k...

pretty psyched to be doing it this year, especially since I just had to transfer my Farmer's Daughter registration to a friend due to a conflict that came up on that weekend.

Back in my whitewater days (yikes...30 years ago) I used to visit the area to paddle the Deerfield River to paddle Dragon's tooth etc and haven't been back since then.

So anyways....see you all there!

SPP

AngryScientist
02-28-2020, 07:23 AM

i've never done the green river ride, but i think it's reasonably flat. the 100k is a fun ride, but it's no walk in the park, and you are not going to really enjoy it if you dont bring some decent fitness. there are bail out options, but it would be a mistake to take the 100k too lightly.

weisan
02-28-2020, 07:27 AM
For pals who are "new" to this, hopefully a video I took a while ago will give you some idea...

https://vimeo.com/283881925

nobuseri
02-28-2020, 08:20 AM
Thanks for this. If I manage to make it, this will be my first D2R2.

For pals who are "new" to this, hopefully a video I took a while ago will give you some idea...

https://vimeo.com/283881925

cp43
02-28-2020, 08:24 AM
i've never done the green river ride, but i think it's reasonably flat. the 100k is a fun ride, but it's no walk in the park, and you are not going to really enjoy it if you dont bring some decent fitness. there are bail out options, but it would be a mistake to take the 100k too lightly.

I work with cabriggs, and I'm the one who encouraged him to sign up for D2R2. I'll make sure that he's ready for the 100k. :)

You are right though, the difference in difficulty between the Green River ride and the 100k is far greater than the distance difference would suggest.

I'll be riding the 180k this year. Also planning on riding out to Deerfield from home the day before, and back home on Sunday.

Chris

weisan
02-28-2020, 08:25 AM
nobu pal, you are welcome. It's a fun ride and I hope you do make it.

2016 was the last time I did this ride. I am feeling the itch again and currently in the process of making plans to go this year.

NHAero
02-28-2020, 08:28 AM
I measured that 100K ride this past year at 68.7 miles, so more like 110K, and on RidewithGPS using my iPad I measured 8,200 ft.

DaveS
02-28-2020, 08:40 AM
I'm in this year. I'll probably end up doing the longest ride that has the same lunch stop at the family ride, so I can have lunch with my wife and son.

Really looking forward to it this year, since I was relegated to cheering last year due to a ruptured achilles

cabriggs
02-28-2020, 11:11 AM
You got this. The 100k is one of my favorites. Its sooooo good

Thanks, man. Looking forward to it. Mainly I have to work on being ready for that much climbing.

Yes, it's fairly flat, with about 1500' of climbing stretched out over those 46 miles. As cp43 said, he told me about D2R2 (and this forum) and last year he showed me the 100k on ridewithgps and pointed out all the climbing (and the bailouts), so I know what I'm in for. Last year I ramped up to 40+ miles over the month leading to D2R2. This year I expect to be able to get up to 60+ miles without too much trouble in the next couple months at most, and then work in more and more climbing before the ride date.

I got back into cycling a couple of years ago, after not riding for about 30 years going back to when I was a teenager. My overall goal is to ride more. I did 1300 total miles last year after 400 the year before. Maybe I can crack 2000 this year (depending on available time). Last year a specific goal was the Green River ride. This year it's the D2R2 100k and hopefully one or two more 100k's. Next year maybe a century (haven't thought about it too much yet).

weisan
02-28-2020, 08:22 PM
Is anyone here going in on Friday as a volunteer or part of the setup crew?

Corso
02-29-2020, 07:48 AM
Really looking forward to it this year, since I was relegated to cheering last year due to a ruptured achilles

Ditto: I broke my collarbone in a simple shakedown ride the weekend before last year's ride.

Signed up, really, really looking forward to it. I've done a bunch, love this event (but not the post-ride mosquitos!)

merlinmurph
02-29-2020, 09:18 AM
Ditto: I broke my collarbone in a simple shakedown ride the weekend before last year's ride.)

HA! A number of years ago, the week before the ride, I realized I hadn't used my 'cross bike in awhile, so I grabbed it and went out for a ride to the closest dirt - a place I had never ridden before. On a fairly technical singletrack climb, I hit a root and hit the ground before I knew it, smacking the front of my helmet. This was the kind of fall where, while lying on the ground, you go thru a diagnostic check, body part by body part. All good. I got up, and the only damage was a bit of blood around my nose. I noticed someone walking down the trail with their dog, turned to him and asked if I looked OK. The look on his face said a lot. This is where I learned to use a phone to look at yourself. I have pics somewhere...

Anyways, not signed up, yet. We have to figure out our summer schedule. Hoping to make it, along with a few other rides.

stev0
03-01-2020, 11:35 AM
Been following these d2r2 threads with close interest for what feels like a decade - and this time I finally have the opportunity to attend myself! Looking forward to the inevitable tire discussion! (and maybe meeting some paceliners?) :banana:

AngryScientist
06-03-2020, 04:08 PM
Well; that’s it. As pretty much expected: cancelled for 2020. Damn.

Makes sense and I get it.

2021 better be a better year!

nobuseri
06-03-2020, 04:13 PM
Yeah; saw the email.
I guess I have more time to plan and train for next year. Was going to make it a family weekend. D2R2 on Sat and a NYC family trip, Sunday, on the way back home. :)

weisan
06-03-2020, 04:14 PM
Angry, why can't we "organize" our own - combine with dirtphalt and make it into D3R3?

C40_guy
06-03-2020, 04:50 PM
Angry, why can't we "organize" our own - combine with dirtphalt and make it into D3R3?

How do you think D2R2 got started?

I've heard that one can ride most of the length of Cape Cod, mostly on publicly owned dirt.

Maybe the B2P2 (Bourne to PTown?)

joosttx
06-03-2020, 07:49 PM
We were planning for a family vacation visiting our NE relatives but with Covid that has been scrapped. The plan was to ride D2R2 and Ted King's Vermont Rooted. I still may fly up to ride Vermont Rooted now.

eBAUMANN
06-03-2020, 07:50 PM
Nooooooo really?! Dang it.
I didn't/dont see the email...what did it say?
Was planning on driving back east for it.
Nuts. Nuts nuts nuts.

I was really hoping maybe things would improve enough that it could happen but I certainly understand.

R3awak3n
06-04-2020, 05:44 AM
I think and hope things will improve and if the D2R2 was a 300-500 people event maybe be ok but as a 1500 people event its just too much. Also how much more work would they put in to then not be able to run the event.

I think a lot of the events planned for fall will probably be cancelled as well.

They are giving us options. Full refund, transfer for 2021 or donate the money (and get 2021 for $75 and a tshirt).

Covid has been hit or miss for work for me, I worked a month, had a month of, now I have a few weeks of work. But I think I am going to just donate the money. I like D2R2s cause to protect the land and its one of my favorite events on the planet).

sparky33
06-04-2020, 06:24 AM
Donation done.

A bit sad as my 8 yo daughter was looking forward to the family ride and a dip in the river. Will have to arrange an alternative...

R3awak3n
06-04-2020, 06:45 AM
Donated. See everyone there in 2021! I think the events in 2021 are all going to be extra special!

tctyres
06-04-2020, 06:55 AM
Hmm... well, that's too bad, but not unexpected. I got the email, but didn't open it until I saw this thread.

nighthawk
06-04-2020, 07:15 AM
How do you think D2R2 got started?

I've heard that one can ride most of the length of Cape Cod, mostly on publicly owned dirt.

Maybe the B2P2 (Bourne to PTown?)

I’ve actually done that ride... Bourne to Ptown and back. This was 16 years ago, and I wasn’t specifically looking for dirt, but I recall a fairly unpleasant beginning on Rte 6a (?), but eventually the road widens. Then partway (S Yarmouth?) you can pick up a Rail to Trail and that goes all the way into Ptown. I spread it out over a few days, camped on the beach along the way. It was awesome.

AngryScientist
06-04-2020, 07:28 AM
Yes, it sucks, but personally - i'm glad they cancelled it rather than try and run it and ruin the casual cool vibe of the ride.

imagine the incredible downer it would be to have volunteers in masks at water stops, behind plexiglass shields or some such nonsense?

better that they bagged it and we'll all have a good time next year.

nobuseri
06-04-2020, 07:51 AM
Donated; looking forward to getting t-shirt without suffering!

I will plan to go next year. More than likely, with better fitness.

R3awak3n
06-04-2020, 08:01 AM
Yes, it sucks, but personally - i'm glad they cancelled it rather than try and run it and ruin the casual cool vibe of the ride.

imagine the incredible downer it would be to have volunteers in masks at water stops, behind plexiglass shields or some such nonsense?

better that they bagged it and we'll all have a good time next year.

I don't want to have to lysol my peach before eating it.