PDA

View Full Version : Slightly OT: Campy Corkscrews

buddybikes
11-17-2019, 07:46 PM
Anyone have one of these? Worth treating myself for Christmas?

slowpoke
11-17-2019, 07:53 PM
I've never felt the need to use anything beyond the standard Pulltap's wine key they issue servers at restaurants. You can pick one up at Trader Joe's for under $10.

Use the difference to buy some nice wine you can share with friends and family over the holidays.

FlashUNC
11-17-2019, 07:56 PM
They're amazing. Great as a gift. Treat yoself.

pdmtong
11-17-2019, 07:58 PM

IMHO - the ONLY reason to buy one is if you have to have a screw branded Campagnolo. I love my Campy but have zero interest in their opener

There are plenty of more functional openers.
- non-traditional - le creuset leverpull (note, the "rabbit" knock-off version is a very poor imitation)
- traditional - Claude Dozorme theirs sommelier

You could even apply that same coin to a Coravin or a Durand if you have older bottles.

jghall
11-17-2019, 08:08 PM
As posted a while back was looking for one as a gift for my PT. Works as all the others, but other than nostalgia, not sure worth the extra $100+. That said, kind of cool.

merckxman
11-17-2019, 08:29 PM
They made a gold one!

wallymann
11-17-2019, 08:54 PM
they're ridiculously big! functionally, no benefit above a basic puller. but they're fun, a nice conversation starter -- especially with cyclist and gearheads. be prepared to be mocked by non-believers. I love mines!

likebikes
11-17-2019, 09:15 PM
coutale sommelier is all you need

gbcoupe
11-17-2019, 09:23 PM
I looked off and on for several years to get mine at a good (relative) price. More than I needed to spend? Of course, but it's way cool and works well. That said, I mostly use an Oxo standard (waiters) opener, and a cheap 2 prong for older bottles.

pdonk
11-18-2019, 05:35 AM
I got one as a gift. Works well. It is definitely a conversation starter due to its size and colour.

Before I got it I used a swiss army knife as my primary opener. Also a conversation starter.

oldpotatoe
11-18-2019, 06:52 AM

Yes and Yes..they really work great...Even the plastic ones...

Geezz..some whine and mench about the size and price..kinda like a lot of bikes and bike stuff..:eek:

"Why that $200 bike co-op bike will work as well, save yer $"...gads...

peanutgallery
11-18-2019, 07:02 AM
Campy also made a pipe - of sorts - way back when

Popular

AngryScientist
11-18-2019, 07:07 AM
we drink a LOT of wine :)

i kind of want one too, and my wife has been asking if i want anything unusual for christmas....

hmmm

colker
11-18-2019, 07:29 AM
I have the sram one. Electronic. You can chose the exact location of the handle not to mention the hydraulic brakes that stop you from over screwing the cork. Once you try it there is no turning back to obsolete corkscrews. I actually bought two since they are identical and wife will never know i over spent..

EliteVelo
11-18-2019, 08:14 AM
we drink a LOT of wine :)

i kind of want one too, and my wife has been asking if i want anything unusual for christmas....

hmmm

I/we do as well, and aside from a conversation piece, it works brilliantly. Worth every penny. My kids always ask what to get me for Christmas, as the normal answer is I have what I need, but when this showed up, I was more than pleased.

Davist
11-18-2019, 08:20 AM
Have one, love it. BIG is not an understatement, use at Thanksgiving and Christmas and selected birthdays.. Works well, got on line after looking in Italy for one (couldn't find). It's a treat. Now I'm thinking about the nutcracker as well... (and BTW, I'm a Shimano guy :) )

yngpunk
11-18-2019, 08:26 AM
https://www.probikekit.com/cycling-accessories-nc/campagnolo-big-corkscrew/11349841.html

Seems cheaper than used ones on ebay.

oldpotatoe
11-18-2019, 08:31 AM
I have the sram one. Electronic. You can chose the exact location of the handle not to mention the hydraulic brakes that stop you from over screwing the cork. Once you try it there is no turning back to obsolete corkscrews. I actually bought two since they are identical and wife will never know i over spent..

Guess you haven't heard about the recall, eh??:)

pdmtong
11-18-2019, 09:43 AM
Only cyclists who enjoy wine would buy the campagnolo opener

People who enjoy wine but don’t ride would never buy one because there’s nothing special about it other than made by campagnolo

Simple as that. If you like it go for it!

Spaghetti Legs
11-18-2019, 04:10 PM
It’s the only expensive corkscrew I’ve ever owned. Also the only one that works perfectly - every - single - time - and has lasted longer than a year.

colker
11-18-2019, 05:26 PM
Only cyclists who enjoy wine would buy the campagnolo opener

People who enjoy wine but don’t ride would never buy one because there’s nothing special about it other than made by campagnolo

Simple as that. If you like it go for it!

That corkscrew is one of the best brand image moves i ever seen. Those guys at campagnolo took the high road on a ferrari on this one. They associate themselves w/ one of the most sublime things around: wine. How can you even ride another brand after handling that beautifull piece of gear while drinking an excellent wine?

Tandem Rider
11-18-2019, 07:26 PM
MrsTR won one at a charity silent auction and it was under the tree with my name on it that year. It is incredibly well made and functions perfectly, we do use it occasionally, normally just a waiter's corkscrew though. :)

C50
11-20-2019, 02:08 PM
The answer is yes, treat yourself. Lots of ways to open a bottle of wine but every time I slide the cover off the wood display box and use my Campagnolo Big Corkscrew it makes drinking whatever wine we are having a more enjoyable experience and life should be full of enjoyable experiences!

pdmtong
11-20-2019, 03:26 PM
The answer is yes, treat yourself. Lots of ways to open a bottle of wine but every time I slide the cover off the wood display box and use my Campagnolo Big Corkscrew it makes drinking whatever wine we are having a more enjoyable experience and life should be full of enjoyable experiences!
^ this...yes, I get the ceremonial aspect and it cannot be underestimated.